Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Arquinsiel posted:

"kink in her cervical mount" just means "pain in her neck".

Yeah, that's what it literally means, but you know what you're doing when you're describing a sadist fondly remembering a droid she tortured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Can't believe they didn't let me do one about the Executor crashing. Would've been the perfect sequel

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

General Battuta posted:

Can't believe they didn't let me do one about the Executor crashing. Would've been the perfect sequel

Would you have written it from the perspective of the Executor itself as if it were a sentient being?

If not, why not? :colbert:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

General Battuta posted:

i just pictures its just the space balls ending but with more suicide via blaster.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, that's what it literally means, but you know what you're doing when you're describing a sadist fondly remembering a droid she tortured.
I think given the context the sadist is pissed off that even when being tortured the droid can't imagine escaping slavery.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/btpanko/status/1714862122809585682?t=Oyk4j3ij-7XyPJQzHjwOZw&s=19

Lol whose skull was it?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

Lol whose skull was it?

The rancor's first victim, Bidlo Kwerve

Recanonized thanks to a 2016 release of Star Wars: Complete Locations

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

bidlo kwerve is truly a star wars rear end name

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
drat I thought that the Rancor trainer cared for his pet but could he really not be bothered to clean up his pen area for years? Just leaving bones all over the place like that, so irresponsible.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

It's enrichment. Put some peanut butter in there and it's just like a kong

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

drat I thought that the Rancor trainer cared for his pet but could he really not be bothered to clean up his pen area for years? Just leaving bones all over the place like that, so irresponsible.

he was to busy posting on the star wars version Something awful and let the poor things care go to poo poo. Jabba never cared either way so he didnt mind that the bones and rancor poo poo piled up over the years.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Need a book finished the new Thrawns other week….and I’m not finishing Bounty Hunter wars. Which ones are when Jacen goes Sith?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he was to busy posting on the star wars version Something awful and let the poor things care go to poo poo. Jabba never cared either way so he didnt mind that the bones and rancor poo poo piled up over the years.

50footrancor

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

a sexual elk posted:

Need a book finished the new Thrawns other week….and I’m not finishing Bounty Hunter wars. Which ones are when Jacen goes Sith?

That would be the Legacy of the Force series, starting with Betrayal by Aaron Allston

The rest are

Bloodlines (Traviss)
Tempest (Denning)
Exile (Allston)
Sacrifice (Traviss)
Inferno (Denning)
Fury (Allston)
Revelation (Traviss)
Invincible (Denning)

Prepare for a lot of "this happened"/"nun-uh" between Karen and Aaron and Troy, to an almost comical degree

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 23, 2023

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

a sexual elk posted:

Legacy of the Force, but seriously don’t bother with that. Keep reading about Kuat of Kuat or go read about blob racing. Nothing good can come of reading LOTF.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

What are some the better new ones? Read Thrawn and Alphabet already.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

a sexual elk posted:

I'm really out of the loop on current canon, but I have enjoyed the FACPOV collections. By their very nature they're hit or miss, and too many of the stories fall back on the subjects somehow saving the OT characters in some way, but there are a lot of great stories in there. There's a story from the ANH collection from the point of view of the dianoga (!) that is genuinely creative and trying to do something new.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rochallor posted:

I'm really out of the loop on current canon, but I have enjoyed the FACPOV collections. By their very nature they're hit or miss, and too many of the stories fall back on the subjects somehow saving the OT characters in some way, but there are a lot of great stories in there. There's a story from the ANH collection from the point of view of the dianoga (!) that is genuinely creative and trying to do something new.

Written by Nnedi Okorafor, which was a pretty big get for a story about the dianoga.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

a sexual elk posted:

The High Republic is fun but scattershot. Anything by John Jackson Miller is a good time. James Luceno's new canon work is still great. Claudia Gray's work is generally solid. Delilah S. Dawson wrote something interesting with Phasma but it's in the framing device and the actual Phasma story may as well be a generic fantasy novel. Sadly that framing device is then expanded on in the format of a couple hundred pages of ad for the Disney parks. If you enjoyed Alphabet Squadron then Battlefront: Twilight Company is by the same author and is a more military sci-fi take on the Rebellion than the normal space opera.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

If you enjoyed Alphabet Squadron then Battlefront: Twilight Company is by the same author and is a more military sci-fi take on the Rebellion than the normal space opera.

I love imperial naval based stuff (was debating Star Wars or starting the Master and Commander books) and this seems right up my alley

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 23, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Twilight Company is about some rebel infantry who show up in Alphabet Squadron at some point. If you want Imperial Navy then Lost Stars is pretty good, and Star Wars Battlefront II: Inferno Squad is alright low-stakes stuff. Like most of the direct prequels you know there's only so much danger they can put the characters in, so it's pretty obvious who you should and shouldn't get attached to.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's honestly kind of crazy how little actual wars in the stars there have been since the Disney acquisition. I'd love for a book, game or show about a New Republic carrier battlegroup.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

a sexual elk posted:

Check the OP.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Having the galaxy be completely at peace between Jedi and Force Awakens might have made a lot of sense in the TFA writer's room, but man did it handicap basically the entire post-OT EU.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's one of the reasons I really liked Twilight Company. It's just a bunch of random aliens in a trench getting shot at by Stormtroopers. It's WWII in space, but during the Battle of the Bulge.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

On the contrary, I think there are a lot of interesting stories that could be done with a peaceful post-ROTJ galaxy, but we definitely aren't getting them.

It is funny that they decided to make the Battle of Jakku the end of the civil war, and since then we've had the strange quantum state of multiple live-action sources explicitly stating that the Civil War ended at Endor, while also showing basically continued Imperial warfare for years after Jakku but the New Republic somehow not being aware.

Though I do think the decisions made by the TFA writers really did take a hammer to a lot of the wide-open storytelling potential there was with the continuity reset. I remember back in early 2014, the very first story leak for Episode VII was that the backstory was going to be that immediately after ROTJ, Jedi hunters took control of the Empire and captured Luke, so the Rebels could never actually consolidated their rule and the Empire continued its reign for decades. Obviously that wasn't anywhere close to what TFA ended up being (though you can see glimpses of the actual plot in there) but if there was going to be a movie that both took a dump on ROTJ's ending and tried to stay away from the old EU, I thought that would have been more original than what we got.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Having the galaxy be completely at peace between Jedi and Force Awakens might have made a lot of sense in the TFA writer's room, but man did it handicap basically the entire post-OT EU.

The galaxy is so enormously loving huge that even in times of peace I'm sure there are many kilo-Passchendaeles of violent laser death every second.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Twilight Company is about some rebel infantry who show up in Alphabet Squadron at some point. If you want Imperial Navy then Lost Stars is pretty good, and Star Wars Battlefront II: Inferno Squad is alright low-stakes stuff. Like most of the direct prequels you know there's only so much danger they can put the characters in, so it's pretty obvious who you should and shouldn't get attached to.

inferno squadron is kinda boring as gently caress because like a bunch of more interesting stuff happens off screen and most of it is loving around in a cave with no real stakes.

idk. i kinda want a book that just follows imps who never defect. not out of some "ra ra ra empire" stuff, but just because monsters are more interesting then "look i switched sides to the obvious good guys" or etc. its why i like the imp squadron more then new republic one because the imps are all utterly broken people and various grade of monsters and the rebels are all happy go lucky happy happy joy joy types. its why i like tie fighter too and alot of the small imp stories in the anthologt books.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember back in early 2014, the very first story leak for Episode VII was that the backstory was going to be that immediately after ROTJ, Jedi hunters took control of the Empire and captured Luke, so the Rebels could never actually consolidated their rule and the Empire continued its reign for decades.

Say what you will about the sequels we got, but holy bejeesus we dodged a bullet on this one.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

Say what you will about the sequels we got, but holy bejeesus we dodged a bullet on this one.

There were a few very out-there plot 'leaks' in early 2014 that were all obviously BS in retrospect, but almost all of them included Luke vanishing or being captured somehow, which makes me wonder if someone did actually see some script draft at Lucasfilm. Or probably more likely Bad Robot given all the major leaks were from both TFA and TROS.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dapper_Swindler posted:

inferno squadron is kinda boring as gently caress because like a bunch of more interesting stuff happens off screen and most of it is loving around in a cave with no real stakes.

idk. i kinda want a book that just follows imps who never defect. not out of some "ra ra ra empire" stuff, but just because monsters are more interesting then "look i switched sides to the obvious good guys" or etc. its why i like the imp squadron more then new republic one because the imps are all utterly broken people and various grade of monsters and the rebels are all happy go lucky happy happy joy joy types. its why i like tie fighter too and alot of the small imp stories in the anthologt books.
Lost Stars is the book for you so. Can't explain much more due to spoilers, but it basically follows childhood friends who go in wildly different paths in life. One is a comparatively rich kid who doesn't like being told what to do, so he joins the Empire, and the other is from the wrong side of the tracks and the Imperial Navy offers her opportunities that would otherwise be denied to her due to local cultural prejudices.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

There were a few very out-there plot 'leaks' in early 2014 that were all obviously BS in retrospect, but almost all of them included Luke vanishing or being captured somehow, which makes me wonder if someone did actually see some script draft at Lucasfilm. Or probably more likely Bad Robot given all the major leaks were from both TFA and TROS.

Some rumors might have leaked about the script discussions they were having. I remember (after the movie came out) someone said the problem they had was that anytime Luke Skywalker showed up in any version of the script they were working on, he took over the movie. So they realized pretty early on that they needed to write him out of the first movie somehow to let the new characters be front and center, and they'd work Luke into the sequel once they were established.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

thrawn527 posted:

Some rumors might have leaked about the script discussions they were having. I remember (after the movie came out) someone said the problem they had was that anytime Luke Skywalker showed up in any version of the script they were working on, he took over the movie. So they realized pretty early on that they needed to write him out of the first movie somehow to let the new characters be front and center, and they'd work Luke into the sequel once they were established.

As middling as TFA is, that probably ended up being a good idea.

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember back in early 2014, the very first story leak for Episode VII was that the backstory was going to be that immediately after ROTJ, Jedi hunters took control of the Empire and captured Luke, so the Rebels could never actually consolidated their rule and the Empire continued its reign for decades. Obviously that wasn't anywhere close to what TFA ended up being (though you can see glimpses of the actual plot in there) but if there was going to be a movie that both took a dump on ROTJ's ending and tried to stay away from the old EU, I thought that would have been more original than what we got.

Jedi hunters sounds loving stupid, but I do like the idea of the Empire still being around in some form as an indictment of making the New Republic just the Old Republic again. Maybe their power is greatly diminished, but they still hold a couple planets, most importantly Coruscant because how the hell are you going to conquer Coruscant absent a couple of skyscraper-making GBS threads robots and a lightning storm? A couple years after Endor there's a plot to take over the planet from the inside, it goes wrong Operation Eagle Claw-style, and terminal lib Mon Mothma signs some terms with what's left of the Empire, ending the war in exchange for letting them hold Coruscant. The cold war eventually goes hot and that's your trigger for the sequel trilogy.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Luke going MIA after his academy was destroyed was something inherited from Lucas' outlines, which Disney gradually strayed away from as they brought new creatives onto the project.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Robot Style posted:

Luke going MIA after his academy was destroyed was something inherited from Lucas' outlines, which Disney gradually strayed away from as they brought new creatives onto the project.

Yeah, Lucas' original ideas had Luke vanished, but he was going to be discovered and train "Rey" (not yet her name) halfway through Episode VII. Arndt was the one who pushed Luke training "Rey" back to Episode VIII.

Also I know in very early story outlines, the proto-Poe Dameron character was a Jedi.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rochallor posted:

As middling as TFA is, that probably ended up being a good idea.

Jedi hunters sounds loving stupid, but I do like the idea of the Empire still being around in some form as an indictment of making the New Republic just the Old Republic again. Maybe their power is greatly diminished, but they still hold a couple planets, most importantly Coruscant because how the hell are you going to conquer Coruscant absent a couple of skyscraper-making GBS threads robots and a lightning storm? A couple years after Endor there's a plot to take over the planet from the inside, it goes wrong Operation Eagle Claw-style, and terminal lib Mon Mothma signs some terms with what's left of the Empire, ending the war in exchange for letting them hold Coruscant. The cold war eventually goes hot and that's your trigger for the sequel trilogy.

yeah, like i kinda like how much of a utter shithshow the republic is in both canons.

old canon its full of allies of convience who hate each other and a bunch of factions hate each other for various justified and/or stupid reasons. eventually after like 200 min wars and like 10 years of war with the empire, they sorta win a truce and then implode when the space IJA bioborg show up.

new canon. end up like the old republic but they move the capital around, let a loving ton of ex imperials in and basicaly let them keep their storm trooper armor in their closet. the empire dies but their are tons of rememnant factions loving around with a bunch loving off into the unknown regions where sheev is on his cheery picker building star destroyers for like 20-30 years or so. eventually the first order shows up and blows its brains out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For all the many faults of the Star Wars TV shows I do like the way that they've set up the New Republic and the old guard "restore the Republic" types as these horribly ineffective political bodies who'd gladly trade one Empire for another if it just added a veneer of decorum. You could separate the Dr. Pershing episode of Mando season 3 from the rest of the show and use it as a standalone case study in the way revolutions can fail the moment that they lose a clear enemy to revolt against.

It won't fix the frustrating lack of context within the sequel films themselves but it goes a long way towards rationalizing why the New Republic just keels over and dies in a single scene. It had been dead for twenty years already and the destruction of Hosnian Prime was more symbolic than anything.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

For all the many faults of the Star Wars TV shows I do like the way that they've set up the New Republic and the old guard "restore the Republic" types as these horribly ineffective political bodies who'd gladly trade one Empire for another if it just added a veneer of decorum. You could separate the Dr. Pershing episode of Mando season 3 from the rest of the show and use it as a standalone case study in the way revolutions can fail the moment that they lose a clear enemy to revolt against.

It won't fix the frustrating lack of context within the sequel films themselves but it goes a long way towards rationalizing why the New Republic just keels over and dies in a single scene. It had been dead for twenty years already and the destruction of Hosnian Prime was more symbolic than anything.

yeah, i like that alot of them just want to go back to "the good old days but with some fixes" and most of the old issues just come right back again because all the hardcore imps either faked contrition and worked to erode poo poo, fought on but in the rim where no one care or they hosed off to sheevs sith club or elsewhere.

like i miss parts of the old canon but i very much like various pieces of the new, i like that the empire is honestly written better in some ways, its not just cackling sadists from top to bottom, its just a hosed up hell system that for most of its life pretends to have some vague democratic legitimacy until they get their wonder weapon and thats no longer needed. its alot more evils of the british empire and colonialism type with lots of banality and assholes doing their 9 to 5 doing awful poo poo then "then admiral Qurego nuked another planet again" its why i love the imps in squadrons, they are all broken people who are trapped willingly or sunk cost in dehumanzing hell system but keep doing it for various broken reasons.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 24, 2023

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

like i miss parts of the old canon but i very much like various pieces of the new, i like that the empire is honestly written better in some ways, its not just cackling sadists from top to bottom, its just a hosed up hell system that for most of its life pretends to have some vague democratic legitimacy until they get their wonder weapon and thats no longer needed. its alot more evils of the british empire and colonialism type with lots of banality and assholes doing their 9 to 5 doing awful poo poo then "then admiral Qurego nuked another planet again" its why i love the imps in squadrons, they are all broken people who are trapped willingly or sunk cost in dehumanzing hell system but keep doing it for various broken reasons.

I still laugh sometimes about that one squadmate who's just like "yeah all we need to do is reinstate the Imperial Senate and there won't be any reason for a rebellion! :dumbgun:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

I still laugh sometimes about that one squadmate who's just like "yeah all we need to do is reinstate the Imperial Senate and there won't be any reason for a rebellion! :dumbgun:"

I like shen because he is basically monster mash who can’t even take his helmet off but he still licks the boot that hosed him up and all he does is cope out slogans and he can’t actually accutaulize a world post war. I just find that more interesting than the rebel good guys who are all the friendliest golly gee goodie goods who use the power of friendship and the force to fight evil.