Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Can't wait for Todo to become Liquid Ocelot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Can't wait for Todo to become Liquid Ocelot.

Well he does scream "Brothah!!!" a lot

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I admit my mental voice for Todo is Macho Man Randy Savage.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

You joke, but the story did establish that Todo can still use Boogie Woogie so long as he can make his hand touch another hand. I'm not saying she doesn't need her own hands. But Todo does have a classmate that can put stuff in stasis and I assume this also stops decomposition. He could definitely be rocking a new hand next time we see him.

I don't think so actually? He doesn't need his own hand, he used Boogie Woogie by slapping Mahito's hand once. But by touching Mahito then, his soul was transformed in such a matter that Boogie Woogie was killed and now it's just gone. At least that's how I interpreted it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

cgfreak posted:

I don't think so actually? He doesn't need his own hand, he used Boogie Woogie by slapping Mahito's hand once. But by touching Mahito then, his soul was transformed in such a matter that Boogie Woogie was killed and now it's just gone. At least that's how I interpreted it.
The fact that Mahito was faked out at all by Todo pulling an Isaac Netero talking about hearts and clapping tells me that Mahito didn't intend to seal Todo's ability. But just kill him like he did Nanami. however, Kenjaku did demonstrate that Mahito's ability can be used to alter the brain to unlock already existing cursed techniques so I accept that the reverse is also possible.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I thought choso was just imagining an alternate reality where the tragedy didn't happen and all his brothers lived together peacefully. Doesn't seem that deep

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
LMAO that even in Choso's delusion his other brothers are still just fetuses in jars

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Brought To You By posted:

You joke, but the story did establish that Todo can still use Boogie Woogie so long as he can make his hand touch another hand. I'm not saying she doesn't need her own hands. But Todo does have a classmate that can put stuff in stasis and I assume this also stops decomposition. He could definitely be rocking a new hand next time we see him.

Todo comes back with the hand sword that one sorceror had and it counts by the rules of Jujutsu

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I thought choso was just imagining an alternate reality where the tragedy didn't happen and all his brothers lived together peacefully. Doesn't seem that deep

Sukuna reacts to the memory ocurring, he see's it happening and is surprised by it. It's definitely more than just that and in an interview with Gege, they actually bleeped out the part where he explains it, because it was such a large spoiler for the story.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I fully expect that the whole choso/todo deal is going to tie in to the whole thing about Sukuna not caring about love or connection with a reveal that Itadori actually did have a CT that was dormant, one people didn’t recognize because it’s deeply antithetical to the kill or be killed ethos of jujutsu society, that he can use and be empowered by the connections he makes and the positive energy generated from them, and he can turn even the most tenuous of connections into unbreakable bonds.

In other words, he’s going to literally beat Sukuna’s rear end with the power of friendship and brotherly love

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gologle posted:

LMAO that even in Choso's delusion his other brothers are still just fetuses in jars

It’s the only form they ever had.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Asuron posted:

Sukuna reacts to the memory ocurring, he see's it happening and is surprised by it. It's definitely more than just that and in an interview with Gege, they actually bleeped out the part where he explains it, because it was such a large spoiler for the story.

No Gege just said the memory thing was not a Yuji ability or anything of the kind. The part that got bleeped out was when he stated what Sukuna was interested in Megumi for.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
jujutsu society and the structure of the entire system is the way it is probably because it was engineered to be this way 1.000 years ago by Tengan and friends. Kenjaku, Angel, and Sukuna were likely involved too and apart of the same organization since they seem to know each other. It’s been preserved and maintained by Tengan which is why Kenjaku and Yuki said not to trust her. It’s why Japan is the only country in the world where cursed energy and spirits are so potent. We don’t know for what purpose it’s for, but it’s a cruel and tyrannical system that rewards selfishness and punishes those who value lives other than their own.

The end result of such a system is a being like Sukuna. He is “enlightened” because he knows the truth of the system and thrives in it. The theme of the new wave overturning the old and corrupt is prevalent throughout and it’s especially notable with Gojo’s death.

Gojo’s role in the story is to be a teacher, which goes along with all the Buddha references. He’s a lovely teacher because he can’t explain anything, but he teaches by example. He’s meant to be the best of us, someone born with everything: ingenuity, strength, skill, an op technique, and an innate genetic advantage through the 6 eyes. But he is still merely an individual. His loss to Sukuna was foretold because an individual cannot dismantle a system. Sukuna is a 1,000 year old monster, armed with institutional knowledge and experience, along with all the treasures he’s stolen and accumulated from others. He’s a vampire that literally stole everything from Megumi, who isn’t even a legal adult.

We’re probably going to see Hakari/Higuruma pull some wacky domain stuff and something RCT-cursed technique related from Yuta that learned from Gojo’s fight. I guess the real message of that fight was it takes more than one person, no matter how exceptional, to dismantle the system.

That’s my head canon anyways, maybe we’ll cut back to the fight and the entire gang will be just legs

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
So your theory is word for word this reddit post?
https://www.reddit.com/r/Jujutsushi/comments/17ckk6v/the_problem_was_always_systemic/

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

I liked the theory someone floated that grandpa accidentally cursed him when told him to be surrounded by friends when he's on his deathbed. It would be the weirdest swerve but it cracks me up too much to turn down completely.

Sukuna fled Yuuji without killing him because extended physical proximity to Yuuji makes you view him as a friend/brother (he was just immune to this while inside Yuuji)

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Regarding Yuji and Choso. I don't remember in the manga, but the anime explicitly shows their blood commingling on the ground. I think Choso sensed their kinship immediately then and his mind went haywire from the implications.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Considering that Redditor has the same exact opinions as Yum, it's probably literally the same person as the goon here.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
that’s me. i’m the redditor. pls don’t make fun of me

edit: I don’t think i need to justify why i use reddit (brainworms) but I specifically posted that there because I just wanted to throw the systemic angle out there. No one really talks about the bigger picture, so hopefully my post encourages someone else to dive deeper.

From a meta perspective, if Gege’s entire message was that enlightenment meant being a selfish rear end in a top hat and everyone should be like Sukuna, then JJK probably wouldn’t be allowed to be published in SJ. Clearly the underlying theme is that the system is at fault for uplifting such an individual.

yum fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 21, 2023

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Interesting thoughts.

For the record, at least one translation specifically mentions Angel was a part of some force Sukuna defeated in the Heian era during a recent chapter (can't remember which exactly). So they know each other because they were contemporaries, doubtful they specifically collaborated though.

Just a detail I remembered, theory is cool though

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Official Release
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/jujutsu-kaisen-chapter-239/chapter/40539?action=read

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
My Parade of One Thousand Demons Will Drain All Your Cursed Energy, Draw and Quarter You and Teleport You Into the Sea vs. No They Won't

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

potential for the dumbest fight in the whole series, can't wait

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jon Irenicus posted:

potential for the dumbest fight in the whole series, can't wait

Dumb Fight would be Comedy Man Vs Pachinko.

Which I would admittedly enjoy reading.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

My Parade of One Thousand Demons Will Drain All Your Cursed Energy, Draw and Quarter You and Teleport You Into the Sea vs. No They Won't

Reminder that this comedian could 1v1 Satoru Gojo as a joke and win.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

also the only circumstances, but that doesn't make your post untrue

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I know the official translation is generally terrible but this week it was particularly egregious...

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Lily Catts posted:

I know the official translation is generally terrible but this week it was particularly egregious...

It makes me hesitant to buy the physical volumes because it's so distracting :(

Like this inconsistency from the previous chapter, what was the decision-making behind localizing 'Kamutoke' as 'Supreme Martial Solution,' but retaining 'Hiken' in its original form?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's all according to keikaku

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

yum posted:

Like this inconsistency from the previous chapter, what was the decision-making behind localizing 'Kamutoke' as 'Supreme Martial Solution,' but retaining 'Hiken' in its original form?

I'm given to understand some of examples of weird translation are an insistence from the Japanese side.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I fully expect that the whole choso/todo deal is going to tie in to the whole thing about Sukuna not caring about love or connection with a reveal that Itadori actually did have a CT that was dormant, one people didn’t recognize because it’s deeply antithetical to the kill or be killed ethos of jujutsu society, that he can use and be empowered by the connections he makes and the positive energy generated from them, and he can turn even the most tenuous of connections into unbreakable bonds.

In other words, he’s going to literally beat Sukuna’s rear end with the power of friendship and brotherly love

The darker side of this is this all figures into Kenjaku's insane plan to merge everyone in Japan into Tengen. We get clues that Kenjaku basically engineered Yuji's existence but still don't know why. A CT that creates 'connections', amplified, could be the vector for that plan. Or maybe the counterbalance to it, Yuji being some sort of new/different Star Vessel.

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 23, 2023

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I mean if we're talking dark here: does Kenjaku pull off their plan and nearly everyone dies? there's also the question of do the other countries go full crazy and start attacking everyone in what's left of japan? this is a manga where I could see us getting the bad ending

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I mean if we're talking dark here: does Kenjaku pull off their plan and nearly everyone dies? there's also the question of do the other countries go full crazy and start attacking everyone in what's left of japan? this is a manga where I could see us getting the bad ending
The moral would be 1000 year old brain monsters are powerful, and the good guys 1v1 too much.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
watching the (excellent) s2 of the anime, the religious group that hired Toji is probably founded by Kenjaku since the founder tells Toji and the mediator that their religion has literally the exact same goal: to merge with Tengan. He also mentions it was founded in the Nara period which is ~200 years after the Heian era, so Kenjaku had this dream in mind for a while now.

I like the theory of Yuji being made from Sukuna’s missing 20th finger. We know Kenjaku had all 20 fingers at one point and he was also purposefully placing them in areas where Yuji would encounter them. We’re still missing the background on why Kenny selected the Itadori bloodline though, since Kaori is from outside the family and Jin didn’t seem to want to be with anyone else. Where did Yuji learn that ancient martial art from anyways?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Unrelated to the current conversation but it just popped into my head, bro what was up with megumi sukuna getting a weird giant gross tiki head to bite Angel??? He is otherwise totally normal but then transforms his head to become giant somehow? Despite transformation to his cursed state apparently being a one time thing and not featuring a weird tiki head?

random...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Funniest drat thing I've ever seen

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

yum posted:

watching the (excellent) s2 of the anime, the religious group that hired Toji is probably founded by Kenjaku since the founder tells Toji and the mediator that their religion has literally the exact same goal: to merge with Tengan. He also mentions it was founded in the Nara period which is ~200 years after the Heian era, so Kenjaku had this dream in mind for a while now.

I like the theory of Yuji being made from Sukuna’s missing 20th finger. We know Kenjaku had all 20 fingers at one point and he was also purposefully placing them in areas where Yuji would encounter them. We’re still missing the background on why Kenny selected the Itadori bloodline though, since Kaori is from outside the family and Jin didn’t seem to want to be with anyone else. Where did Yuji learn that ancient martial art from anyways?

I don’t buy the finger thing. I think it’s off somewhere, and will be used against sukuna at some point.

Considering the amount of times “twins are a bad omen” comes up, I think Kenjaku made/incarnated/whatever Sukuna’s twin. Yuji is possibly the reincarnated soul of Sukunas twin. Sukuna probably ate his twin, and maybe even in the womb (since Yuji is some form of cursed womb). Them being a twin means some sort of heavenly binding vow associated with him or something.

There’s a lot of hints that suggest this could be true. The fact that Yuji is uniquely qualified to manage sukuna; Yuji’s similarity to Maki being stronger physically without cursed technique; obviously the physical similarities from past-era sukuna; Sukunas weird body and double of everything... I think the Itadori line was chosen by Kenjaku because they are likely certainly descendants of the same line Sukuna comes from.

This also could be a solid way to power up Yuji for the finale without it being too much of a power-of-friendship-rear end-pull.

I guess in theory, Yuji being the 20th finger and my theory could both be true though.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 23, 2023

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I don’t buy the finger thing. I think it’s off somewhere, and will be used against sukuna at some point.

I guess in theory, Yuji being the 20th finger and my theory could both be true though.

I like this theory too! The topic of twins will definitely come up again, as well as something connecting to Panda’s whole thing of being a vessel for multiple souls

edit: one version of the Sukuna urban legend has Sukuna consuming his twin, who was physically, mentally gifted, and had a sheltered and rich upbringing vs Sukuna’s crippled and shunned existence. On the subject of connections, that’d make him Sukuna’s most hated person, so the twin theory would be one way to emotionally tie Sukuna to Yuji.

yum fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 23, 2023

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
it would be weird if twice in the manga a character almost killed the MC but then suddenly had new impossible memories of them being besties, and it was just a coincidence and didn't mean anything. it's not a normal thing to happen once let alone twice

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Jerkface posted:

Unrelated to the current conversation but it just popped into my head, bro what was up with megumi sukuna getting a weird giant gross tiki head to bite Angel??? He is otherwise totally normal but then transforms his head to become giant somehow? Despite transformation to his cursed state apparently being a one time thing and not featuring a weird tiki head?

random...

I assume Sukuna can shape his soul and therefore shape his body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
megumi can just do that