Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Old guys take the 85% league seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/NHLPA/status/1716202168707911728?t=44OL3K1pnRujeAxj67OA6Q&s=19

:lol: what?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

While Bettman or the arbitrator actually can extend the suspension, they never do and so it's a freebie for the player to at least try.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

CBJSprague24 posted:

Doesn't Pittsburgh always suck the first month or so of the season and then wake up around January and return to their final form for the season?

Yeah, they never actually try until the new year. It's weird to hear the players/coaches being openly unhappy about it from the hop but it's par for the course

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Last year they started 4-1 (then lost 7 in a row)
Year before that they started 3-2 (then lost 5 out of 6)
Year before that they started 4-2 (then lost 4 out of 5)
Year before that they started 7-2 (then lost 3 straight)
Their last 2-3 start was 2018-19 and was followed by 4 wins

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Haven't watched or followed hockey for a few years.

nice to know LOLFlames is evergreen.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Burakovsky out 6-8 weeks after a dirty hit by Trouba.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/kraken/kraken-forward-andrew-burakovsky-out-for-6-8-weeks-with-upper-body-injury/

Kraken are accustomed to playing without Burakovsky since the second half of last year of course, but it worked better with Geekie and Sprong on the roster.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Would have to look at the hit again later but I recall it more being kinda awkaward and more burakovsky not expecting to be hit for some reason and Trouba giving him a solid bump at best
The issue was he was an awkward distance to the boards and went into them weird

If he’d protected himself from the hit he’d probably be fine. I say this as a fan of a team with Filip Chytil on it whos a guy who seems to forget that “finishing a check” is a thing other players do to you in the NHL and has been injured several times because of it

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Poor Jacob Trouba, always minding his own business when so many other assholes fail to protect themselves and nitwits on the internet have the gall, the absolute gall, to suggest he might hurt people on purpose

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Shoulda kept his head up

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Out of all of the Capitals so far I think I'm most annoyed by Tom Wilson. Backstrom's hip is shot, Oshie can't play golf any more because of back pain, and Ovechkin is just old as gently caress. But Wilson has no excuses and is out there gliding around doing nothing. He's not even looking to kill people any more. Of course to be fair I'd check out of my job if my dumbass employer gave me a 7 x $6.5M extension too.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Flyers are first in the Metro lmao

5 games, but still

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Duckman2008 posted:

Headline this morning:

““NHL to review use of pride tape as possible violation” “

The absolute dumbest league.

quote:

The Coyotes told ESPN that they had heard nothing from the NHL regarding punishment for Dermott or the team.

An NHL spokesperson told ESPN there wasn't any announcement from the league's hockey operations department regarding Demott's use of Pride Tape. The NHLPA had no further information, either.

Good. They'd better keep their mouths shut about it too. It is loving shameful that it even got this far because some portion of crybabies in the media/internet at large can't handle anything. And yet we are the 'precious, fragile snowflakes'.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

And I'm going to us a different post to say why....same exact issues as the last 2-3 years. Depth scoring doesn't exist (the Pens have 0 goals from not the top 6 forward), Jarry is a sub-NHL average goalie, and the system coaching issues of the last 2 years....including oversight of the powerplay/PK still exist. I've loved Sullivan, but he has fallen into extremely conservative fully coached system with no improvisation and the powerplay/PK continues to worsen with player availability and coaching approach. The org has swapped through at least 1 or 2 sets of assistants at this point, but it's clear who they have now seem to be even worse (LOOKING AT YOU TODD. YOU loving SUCK) but Sullivan seems not able to get the huge net positives he used to. I'm not saying Sullivan should be fired...it just looks to be completely the end of the line and (I said this too!) Geno/Letang should have been let to walk and the Pens gotten in the tank.

Yeah analytically the top six has been good, and so has the defense. The bottom six has no actual production and it is not controlling play either outside of Eller. Carter has the second best xgoals in the bottom six :v:. And Jarry is doing his usual league average or slightly below thing, but the Pens kinda need more than that from their goaltending and I'm not sure he can provide it. Also the PP is dreadful which is inexcusable with the talent on it.

Not writing their epitaph yet after five games but they need to get some more out of the bottom six/goaltending and get the powerplay going or they will be on the outside looking in yet again.

If they continue as they are they probably should fire Sullivan if only to see if the roster can do anything else.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

They are insanely slow. Letang looks extremely done :( agreed they're not a playoff team. Probably 6th in the Metro again. They aren't Jackets or Flyers bad. Maybe Flyers bad.

The only disagreement on this is with Jarry. He's really not very good and no the Pens system doesn't not give out high dangers like candy. Going back the previous 3 years the Pens rank 14th among all NHL leagues with 11 High Dangers against/60. Pretty much dead center of the curve. Minny and Boston lead the way with 9.5 HDCA/60. All strengths doesn't really change much. Pens move to 15th with 11.5 HDCA/60 vs best in the league Boston/Minny with 10. So far this year it's 11.2 HDCA/60 all strengths (15th in NHL) and 10.5 HDCA/60 at 5s (16th). At 5s in the 3 years prior to this year Jarry faces 8 high dangers per 60 minutes and stops 6.56 of them for a -.07 GSAA. All strengths is basically the same. Slightly below expectation and on the bottom side of NHL average. So far this year, with 4 games played, Jarry is facing 7.61 HD shots/60. He's stopping 5.8 of them for a stellar .760....ranking him 31st amongst goalies with more than 100 5v5 minutes this season. Just going by flat GSAA Jarry is giving up -.95 A FULL GOAL AGAINST more than expected in 60 minutes of ice time. You can not even pretend to be a playoff contender when your goalie is spotting an extra goal per game to the opponent. And that's just at 5v5! His all strength numbers improve a bit. Buoyed by the .833 HD sv% on the PK saving nearly a full goal against per 60...except the Pens have only had 18 minutes on the PK so it doesn't even approach balancing out the horrible 5v5 play. So far by GSAA Jarry is 36 of 50 in all situations (100 minutes of ice time). 5v5 he's 32nd of 36 rubbing elbows with the likes of Stuart Skinner, Jakob Markstrom, and Kaapo Kahkonen. Facing 25 shots a night (5th best in the NHL), 2.32 xGA (8th best in the NHL, 7.6 High danger shots/60 (19 of 32), an average shot distance of 30 feet (3rd worst by the Pens. Something they need to fix), and an average goal distance of 20 which ranks in at 13th worst.

All this is to say yeah the Pens have tons of issues, but no Jarry really does not face an inordinate amount of high dangers. Just league average to slightly better than. He just doesn't stop them and he never really has. Even his best season in 2021/22 he was NHL average at stopping high dangers. Where his numbers were always inflated (and flatter to deceive) was above expectation performance on low dangers and mid dangers.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dubas doctrine of exclusively acquiring extremely old guys and will pay off one day.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When there's a draft and Dubas' roster is all too old to go, who will be laughing then?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

Poor Jacob Trouba, always minding his own business when so many other assholes fail to protect themselves and nitwits on the internet have the gall, the absolute gall, to suggest he might hurt people on purpose

He hurted me :cry:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If the Caps are going to suck major rear end this year, I can handle it as long as the Pens keep sucking rear end too.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
It must be exhausting to unironically defend trouba all the time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Wonderllama posted:

It must be exhausting to unironically defend trouba all the time.

The more he's on the ice the more goals the Rangers are going to give up and I'm fine with that. If you want to play a guy who absolutely sucks because of old school stupidity that doesn't even really work in 2023, go for it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I like how his name makes me think of a tuba that can't tell any lies.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

When there's a draft and Dubas' roster is all too old to go, who will be laughing then?

they're drafting hockey players, not girlfriends for libertarians

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://x.com/WHLGiants/status/1716242716819116061?s=20

Wow I didn't know there was anything more sickening than cop/military appreciation night

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
gently caress the refs

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Very silly of the NHL to be promoting this 'event' tomorrow as "ZOMG ALL 32 TEAMS PLAYING ON THE. SAME. NIGHT." when just this past Saturday, a random Saturday in October, they had 30/32 teams playing on the same day.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Very silly of the NHL to be promoting this 'event' tomorrow as "ZOMG ALL 32 TEAMS PLAYING ON THE. SAME. NIGHT." when just this past Saturday, a random Saturday in October, they had 30/32 teams playing on the same day.

Saturday is a really bad day for TV.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

Saturday is a really bad day for TV.

It's alright for fighting though, from what i hear. .

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They are insanely slow. Letang looks extremely done :( agreed they're not a playoff team. Probably 6th in the Metro again. They aren't Jackets or Flyers bad. Maybe Flyers bad.

The only disagreement on this is with Jarry. He's really not very good and no the Pens system doesn't not give out high dangers like candy. Going back the previous 3 years the Pens rank 14th among all NHL leagues with 11 High Dangers against/60. [...]

All this is to say yeah the Pens have tons of issues, but no Jarry really does not face an inordinate amount of high dangers. Just league average to slightly better than. He just doesn't stop them and he never really has. Even his best season in 2021/22 he was NHL average at stopping high dangers. Where his numbers were always inflated (and flatter to deceive) was above expectation performance on low dangers and mid dangers.

This is one of those cases where I don't care what the numbers say, there are High Danger Chances and then there is the gong show of odd man rushes, straight-up breakaways, and really open looks the Penguins allow multiple of almost every game. It would break almost any goalie. Jarry is not playing well--I wasn't disputing that broad point--but that's only going to get worse, because the gong show is not going to stop anytime soon.

All that said, they should probably switch to Nedeljkovic as the 1A. He will get way out of position and allow some maddening softies (he's never yet met a coach who didn't hate him) but he is a much better bet to make the kind of highlight reel saves the Penguins' interpretation of "defense" demands from its goaltender. But it will break him sooner or later, too.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 23, 2023

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

CBJSprague24 posted:

Doesn't Pittsburgh always suck the first month or so of the season and then wake up around January and return to their final form for the season?
They haven't played the Sabres yet. That usually seems to wake them and Crosby up specifically.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

6th in the Metro? That's a bit of an overreaction imo. I'd have them 5th at worst, a la last year. I sincerely doubt they'll be worse than the Flyers, Jackets, or Caps. Not without major injuries anyways.

They're also currently 4th in the league in 5v5 xgoals. They have major issues but I think there's still a chance they become competitive. A lot of that I think will depend on if the PP can get its poo poo together. The bottom six as currently constructed is always going to be pretty bad, and Jarry is going to continue to be league average or slightly worse as he always is.

But if they could improve the special teams they could start winning games that way.

Of course those special teams have been hot garbage under Sullivan for a while now so not crossing my fingers. But maybe EK can Jedi some PPGs in for us eventually

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Rick Bowness is apparently taking personal leave from Winnipeg because his wife had a seizure

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

grack posted:

Rick Bowness is apparently taking personal leave from Winnipeg because his wife had a seizure

Anyone got eyes on Trouba

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mike Works posted:

:boom:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

grack posted:

Jesus christ

Mike Works posted:

jesus CHRIST

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Mike Works posted:

Lmao but also my lord

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Mike Works posted:

Ehehehe too soon

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

The more he's on the ice the more goals the Rangers are going to give up and I'm fine with that. If you want to play a guy who absolutely sucks because of old school stupidity that doesn't even really work in 2023, go for it.

i know Devils fans don’t watch when their team’s not good but did you see the Pens series a couple of years ago?? he turned that series around with a few bumps and bruises

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i know Devils fans don’t watch when their team’s not good but did you see the Pens series a couple of years ago?? he turned that series around with a few bumps and bruises

you mean he brain damaged their best player. i guess it did work that time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Matt Zerella posted:

Lmao but also my lord