Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

TotalLossBrain posted:

Oh thanks for the reminder. I bought those same plugs. They fit well.
Unfortunately, they absolutely do not do the job on the Monkey with the a/m pipe. I went back to standard foamies after one short ride. I still have them on my keys but I don't see myself using them. The noise reduction is weak

I have a stock pipe on a third gen SV which has a pretty mellow engine note so for me plugs are mostly about wind noise, and they attenuated that well enough. But yeah, when things get real loud it stands to reason that nothing will outperform something that clogs up the whole ear canal like properly inserted foam plugs do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Invalido posted:

I have a stock pipe on a third gen SV which has a pretty mellow engine note so for me plugs are mostly about wind noise, and they attenuated that well enough. But yeah, when things get real loud it stands to reason that nothing will outperform something that clogs up the whole ear canal like properly inserted foam plugs do.

I haven't tried them on my stock VStrom but I suspect they'd be adequate in that situation. I usually wear pixel buds on that bike tho

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I carry a big bag of walmart 33db foamies in the top box of the goldwing and swap to a new pair every day.

I got a nasty infection from re-using foamies, and my fear is reusable plugs would do the same thing

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I carry a big bag of walmart 33db foamies in the top box of the goldwing and swap to a new pair every day.

I got a nasty infection from re-using foamies, and my fear is reusable plugs would do the same thing

Rubber and silicone plugs do need to be cleaned and left to dry after use or at least wiped, yes, though they aren't porous so germs don't have as many places to live as they do on foamies.

I have super gross ears 24/7 so I do a new set of foamies almost every time I get on. I can sometimes reuse them but I carry a half dozen extra pairs in a pill bottle for going around the area.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ugh, I finally opened the jar of foamies I got a while back as I was using up the last package of my usual ones. loving hate 'em. Too springy so they reform their shape before I can cram them in my ear holes, and slightly shorter so you gotta be quick to get them in and stuck.

Gotta go back to the old reliables I guess.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I really like the Moldex Spark Plugs, I just have a big box and take a new pair every few days.

https://www.amazon.com/Moldex-6604-Sparkplugs-Earplugs-Uncorded/dp/B0015TD50C

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
New touring boots arrived in the mail. TCX Clima surround 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJgo2eTh9tY

I had the old gen 1 boots and the new version improves on the boot with better grip pattern on sole + bigger air holes that's less likely to be clogged with mud etc.
Its the best touring boots i've owned. They lasted 4 years / 50k km /31k miles. the left boot has sadly started leaking somewhere in the front with no visible/feelable place where the membrane puncture is.
Revzilla review of gen 1 with an overview of the tech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uLFS6pL-Wo

Feels good so far, same fit, just a little higher. I'll test them tonight.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 5, 2023

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Does the flexible part allow air in? If not, how do they do in the summer heat?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

No, its a special GoreTex variant. It's more breathable(as in sweat can evaporate), but still windproof. If you see in the revzilla video the gimmick is that there is a set air channels in the sole so the grotecky membrane can actually work under your sole too. That's the main benefit and it works. in any other grotecky boot It traps general sweat much more.
This is my default road summer boot with the local weather being what it is usually is in the summer, ie atleast 1 rain shower on any given day when you hit July and later.

This is just a solution for waterproof boots that work in a 7c- 25c /45f -75f range without being unnecessary clammy. Any sock and insole I use is wool based.

I can't speak for much hotter temps as that's a rare occurrence here still.

My feet are that of a nordic hobbit. I usually don't use socks in house at home and prefer barefoot or super thin wool socks that does not get swampy.
I use a lot of Geox shoes as they have the same membraned hole gimmick that works.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Bought a street bike again and am (again) thinking about michelin man protective gear. Is the latest state of the art in the way of inflatable jackets still take your pick of A* or dainese? I know klim has stuff for offroad but I don't want that for various reasons. I am shaped like a gorilla so if anyone has either of the systems I'd be curious about your body shape and how it fits as well.

Somewhat related, I bought tobacco moto's jeans and hoodie a while ago and yeah, these are expensive but also great. I haven't fallen in them yet but they feel like they're well made and the fabric seems like it's good stuff.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

builds character posted:

Somewhat related, I bought tobacco moto's jeans and hoodie a while ago and yeah, these are expensive but also great. I haven't fallen in them yet but they feel like they're well made and the fabric seems like it's good stuff.

They're on sale... for 320 USD (normally 377 USD) :aaa:

I do want a pair, but with shipping and import taxes I can't justify spending $500+ CAD on a pair of riding jeans. Goddamn.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

epswing posted:

They're on sale... for 320 USD (normally 377 USD) :aaa:

I do want a pair, but with shipping and import taxes I can't justify spending $500+ CAD on a pair of riding jeans. Goddamn.

Yeah, they're so expensive. I got them when instagram was having a $100 free credit if you checkout with us so I traded all my personal info for a discount. But they also really do seem so good. Hopefully I never actually find out.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have a Dainese D-Air jacket and an Alpinestars leather suit and airbag combo. No question the
A* is more protective but day to day I don't wear it, the D-Air with built-in airbag is great.

Maybe one of their airbag vests with whatever jacket would be ok, but for me the integrated system works, just need to charge it up occasionally.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Going back to the size chat about Dainese. I just bought a perforated leather jacket from Dainese and have a similar Alpinestars Jacket, same category, same size, same features for the most part. The Dainese is about half a size larger in the chest and arms, but otherwise fits almost exactly the same.

The Dainese is out of season, but I scored a pretty good deal on it I could not pass up. Jacket is amazing.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

builds character posted:

Bought a street bike again and am (again) thinking about michelin man protective gear. Is the latest state of the art in the way of inflatable jackets still take your pick of A* or dainese? I know klim has stuff for offroad but I don't want that for various reasons. I am shaped like a gorilla so if anyone has either of the systems I'd be curious about your body shape and how it fits as well.

I think for daily riding the integrated Dainese style is probably better, but it seems to me Dainese isn't interested in that style any more. There are only two on their website, one of which is heavily discounted (50% off!), and the other one kind of looks like crap.

I have the Alpinestars "Race" vest but only wear it on the track. It's way too cumbersome for daily riding IMO. Not sure how the "Tech-Air 5" or "Tech-Air 3" compare. The 3 has less coverage area and does not have an integrated back protector, but it looks like it has a pocket for one. That's the one I'd probably get for city riding. You need a jacket either designed for it or loose enough to don't blow out your seams or break your ribs if it goes off. I guess you can also wear the 3 over-the-top, in case you don't want to also buy a new jacket, but that feels a little sketchy to me.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Toe Rag posted:

I think for daily riding the integrated Dainese style is probably better, but it seems to me Dainese isn't interested in that style any more. There are only two on their website, one of which is heavily discounted (50% off!), and the other one kind of looks like crap.

I have the Alpinestars "Race" vest but only wear it on the track. It's way too cumbersome for daily riding IMO. Not sure how the "Tech-Air 5" or "Tech-Air 3" compare. The 3 has less coverage area and does not have an integrated back protector, but it looks like it has a pocket for one. That's the one I'd probably get for city riding. You need a jacket either designed for it or loose enough to don't blow out your seams or break your ribs if it goes off. I guess you can also wear the 3 over-the-top, in case you don't want to also buy a new jacket, but that feels a little sketchy to me.

knox_harrington posted:

I have a Dainese D-Air jacket and an Alpinestars leather suit and airbag combo. No question the
A* is more protective but day to day I don't wear it, the D-Air with built-in airbag is great.

Maybe one of their airbag vests with whatever jacket would be ok, but for me the integrated system works, just need to charge it up occasionally.

Rusty posted:

Going back to the size chat about Dainese. I just bought a perforated leather jacket from Dainese and have a similar Alpinestars Jacket, same category, same size, same features for the most part. The Dainese is about half a size larger in the chest and arms, but otherwise fits almost exactly the same.

The Dainese is out of season, but I scored a pretty good deal on it I could not pass up. Jacket is amazing.

Thanks, this is all super helpful. I agree the helite is probably the easiest answer but I think I'm much less likely to wear it (or the separate tech air vests) than something built in.

Based on sizing and ease of use it sounds like d-air is the choice but I wonder what's going on with the product support - looks like super sale on everything and sold out of some sizes in a way that suggests it's more than a restocking issue.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I have access to steeply discounted Danner products through work, so I picked up a pair of their new Moto GTX boots:

https://www.danner.com/danner-moto-wedge-black-gtx.html

Pretty much just a regular rear end workbook with some ankle protection, but they’re comfortable enough for all day wear and look good. they’re nice but I don’t think they’re full MSRP nice.

A recraftable boot with a Gore-Tex liner and D30 built in also seems a bit silly - I expect the liner and D30 will wear out well before the boots ever need to be resoled.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

moxieman posted:

I have access to steeply discounted Danner products through work, so I picked up a pair of their new Moto GTX boots:

https://www.danner.com/danner-moto-wedge-black-gtx.html

Pretty much just a regular rear end workbook with some ankle protection, but they’re comfortable enough for all day wear and look good. they’re nice but I don’t think they’re full MSRP nice.

A recraftable boot with a Gore-Tex liner and D30 built in also seems a bit silly - I expect the liner and D30 will wear out well before the boots ever need to be resoled.
I love Danner shoes, I have a pair of shoes and used to have a pair of boots. Those boots look awesome, but maybe not $500 awesome, still cool.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Those look nice but I don't see where they've passed any kind of independent safety testing or certification? They appear to be "moto" gear in name alone. The price is extra wild when you take that into account.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

bizwank posted:

Those look nice but I don't see where they've passed any kind of independent safety testing or certification? They appear to be "moto" gear in name alone. The price is extra wild when you take that into account.

specifically calling out the soft wedge sole isn't up to snuff for daily use on asphalt - for a motorcycle boot - is kinda wild too

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

SMX6s are like $270 and will actually save your poo poo.

If you buy those Danner boots lol

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I mean sure, but if everyone had function over form in mind when purchasing gear we’d all wear track boots, leathers (or an aerostich), and full gauntlets every time we rode. Props to you if that describes you, but I think most people look to strike some kind of balance between safety, comfort, and looks.

These are squarely in the comfort and style over safety category, and too expensive, but it’s not unprecedented:

https://rolandsands.com/rsd-x-whites-foreman-tobacco-boots/

https://www.eu.therokkercompany.com/en/products/urban-rebel-cognac

https://batesleathers.com/footwear

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Tankbags ftw

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Can someone educate me on Bluetooth systems? I had never ridden with anyone, but my kid just got his endorsement and we will be riding together.
Yesterday, we had a phone call going between us, on earbuds. That worked but it was very quiet and muffled.
Looks like Sena makes a set for my new RF1400, but I also need to fit one into the other helmet, a Sedici Strada 2.
You can buy that helmet with a Bluetooth option, but he's got the standard version.

So what's my best bet to get decent comms going between us?
I assume these also connect to your phone for audio?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I use a Cardo freecom2x, all systems should be compatible with both Helmets, so I would not worry too much about that (I have the Sedici and had Cyclegear install it for me). The more money you spend, the more features you are going to get, the high end ones are using mesh technology now but I think that only matters if you ride with a lot of people. Personally I think for phone calls or two-way communication and music, I would get the mid range, which for Cardo is the 2x (2 people) and 4x (up to 4), with the mesh one being the high end. I don't know anything about the Senas though. Also both work together, so you can mix cardo and sena.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

You want mesh for the simple reason of no radio noise when the other person goes out of range. You either hear them or you don't, no staticy crackly crap.
Mind you, the last non mesh one I used was the sena 20s, there may have been improvements on the non mesh variants.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Am I correct to assume that the system components, once installed in a helmet, will be a pain to take back out?

I ride road bikes with the kid, but we also ride dirt bikes together. I'm guessing swapping this back and forth between two sets of helmets on the regular is a no-go?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

Am I correct to assume that the system components, once installed in a helmet, will be a pain to take back out?

I ride road bikes with the kid, but we also ride dirt bikes together. I'm guessing swapping this back and forth between two sets of helmets on the regular is a no-go?

It's a pain, yeah. good news is they sell "install kits" independently so you can swap the expensive unit from helmet to helmet while keeping the wires in the lid

edit: some thing like this
https://www.amazon.com/Cardo-Audio-...523&sr=8-1&th=1

Carteret fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 24, 2023

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Very nice, thanks!

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
The second helmet kits cost a nice chunk of change, but will be worth it if you’re getting a medium to high quality set.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I grabbed a set of the Cardo JBL Bold when they hit closeout. Haven't used the mesh feature, but for being Bluetooth music players, I was satisfied enough to where I bought a second speaker pack for my second helmet. I absolutely would not want to frequently remove or swap a single piece between helmets. If you have the wires well routed and comfortably concealed, that's far too time consuming to do with swaps unless we're talking about once or twice a year. My HJC 70ST isn't awful to remove out, but my Arai requires the inner pads to be removed from the helmet to get to them. Battery life is good for hours, it sounds okay enough given the wind noise and wearing high DB plugs, and the few times I've taken or made calls communication was fine both ways. They've changed up the button design on the current new generation of sets, but I never really had difficulty feeling the buttons accurately in even heavy insulated winter gloves. I really should buy a third speaker set for my wife's helmet. She doesn't ride along as frequently as I'd like, but it would be nice to have the option to chat in more than hand signals and taps on the shoulder.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Hm, there is now a drop in heated -anti fog insert that's works on any helmet.
https://heatedvisor.co.uk/

It's battery operated though, so another thing to charge.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Carteret posted:

It's a pain, yeah. good news is they sell "install kits" independently so you can swap the expensive unit from helmet to helmet while keeping the wires in the lid

edit: some thing like this
https://www.amazon.com/Cardo-Audio-...523&sr=8-1&th=1

Maybe more of technical question but is it easy to take the backing plate off and leave the wiring plumbed in? I just got a new helmet and usually I just run a wire to a bluetooth dongle and connect it to my phone, it looks like they're standard 3.5mm jacks so I can make that work if possible. It would be nice to get a pac talk for the 2-3 times a year I ride with my dad but I don't particularly want to have that thing lumped to the side of my helmet while I'm just going around town.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
the backing plate and the wiring to the speakers stays on/in the helmet, the comms unit itself pops off for charging or if you don't want to ride with it

you could take the plate off and leave the speakers in but they're not easy to remove, especially if you use the adhesive plate that actually sticks to the helmet

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I use my pak talk for phone Bluetooth 90% of the time, and as a coms device the other. I split a two pack with a friend so it made it more reasonable.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I just picked up a Sena SMH10R two pack on close out. Had some credit, too.
We tested it out on the way home. It is very nice to be able to talk!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I have Packtalk Slim on my and my girlfriend's helmets, it's a slightly older model but the battery pack and keypad are split so it's, well, slimmer than the standard models. Worth looking at if you don't like how big the units are.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for cold-weather gloves? Not looking to get anything with active heating (incl. heated grips) atm, just something with like a thinsulate lining and some armor.

I had a pair but I was using them as regular winter gloves last year and one fell out of the car without me noticing.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I switched to my Dainese Scout 2 gloves about a week ago and they're keeping my hands plenty warm with temps in the low-40's. That's mostly city-speed riding though, and rarely more than 30 minutes at a time, for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I was also recently looking for gloves for PNW riding. I noticed that gloves get bad aggregate review scores, even expensive models. Digging through some of these reviews, it seems to come down to people having very different temperature comfort levels.
A few external factors, too - speed, weather, handguards, etc.