Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mad Hamish posted:

Considering the hobbits' love of big meals and sedentary living it's surprising they didn't all have respectable bosoms.

Rosie Cotton seemed like a short stack of pancakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd5Ag33xAlY

EDN watched the first LotR movie for the first time

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Nihilarian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd5Ag33xAlY

EDN watched the first LotR movie for the first time
"Gollee, that Wilt Chamberlin Sauron!" :perfect:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Devorum posted:

I'm now halfway through Eye. It's my first non-audio re-read since 2011, and I've come to the conclusion that anyone who legitimately believes it's a LOTR rip-off has a CinemaSins level of media literacy.

does that include its author?

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Jedit posted:

There's a point where someone thinks of a Darkfriend that they never expected to be called on to fulfil their oaths. I suspect Darkfriends were a lot like the Freemasons at other times in history, except Masons aren't required to kill people just for finding out that they're a Mason. Go to a party now and again, do a secret handshake, get a leg up in society, but you never really have to do any actual evil most of the time.
IIRC it's Sheriam.

The Black Ajah get the most hosed by the transaction, really. You sign up for, like, 300 years of being the power behind the power and not being bound by the silly faux-morality of the Three Oaths, and then it turns out, whoops! You were born in time for the Dragon to be reborn and now everything is awful.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

bio347 posted:

The Black Ajah get the most hosed by the transaction, really. You sign up for, like, 300 years of being the power behind the power and not being bound by the silly faux-morality of the Three Oaths, and then it turns out, whoops! You were born in time for the Dragon to be reborn and now everything is awful.

You have the Breaking of the World, the Trolloc Wars that lasted for like 400 years from 800-1200 AB, then Artur Hawkwing leading a continent-spanning war of conquest around 2000 AB that involved a siege of Tar Valon and concessions made by the Amyrlin Seat, and finally the Last Battle and end of the Age at 3000 AB. For an Aes Sedai who expects to live about 300 years, that’s pretty much a coin flip of having to deal with some poo poo during your time in the Black Ajah. You’d think the Whites at least, with their emphasis on logic, might have thought about it more thoroughly. Or the benefits of being Black Ajah outweigh the drawbacks to a sufficiently great degree.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I think it just goes to show how Aes Sedai are the exact same kind of loving idiot as everyone else is, magical powers not withstanding.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

CainFortea posted:

I think it just goes to show how Aes Sedai are the exact same kind of loving idiot as everyone else is, magical powers not withstanding.

Moiraine goes out of her way to tell Egwene exactly this in the first book, in fact.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Signed up for 300 years of having a huge leg up in personal power politics, but oops you ended up with thirteen bosses from Hell (literally).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I enjoy that the Shadow's model is to ensnare all the morons who put their own dissatisfaction ahead of, well, everything, while ignoring the fact that the boss is the Father of Lies.

It'll be different for me!!!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I enjoy that the Shadow's model is to ensnare all the morons who put their own dissatisfaction ahead of, well, everything, while ignoring the fact that the boss is the Father of Lies.

It'll be different for me!!!

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I figure Darkfriend socials in the in-between times when nothing major is happening are like that Always Sunny episode where Frank brings Denis to an orgy but it's all naked old people more interested in the buffet.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's a really hosed up alumni organization.

You DO NOT wanna go to the 10 year reunion

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

ChubbyChecker posted:

does that include its author?

Sure, if he ever said any such thing. Of course, he didn't. As others have pointed out, the book has clear LOTR DNA...and that's fine. It was a purposeful choice, from Jordan's own words, but it's also still very clearly its own thing.

Sword of Shannara is a rip-off, a pallete swap, but Eye simply is not.

It'd be like calling the First Law trilogy a LOTR rip-off.

silvergoose posted:

Moiraine goes out of her way to tell Egwene exactly this in the first book, in fact.

Lan tells the boys the same thing, in his own way. Tells the crew that at least once they're in TV he will only mistrust half the people there.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 24, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I figure Darkfriend socials in the in-between times when nothing major is happening are like that Always Sunny episode where Frank brings Denis to an orgy but it's all naked old people more interested in the buffet.

Meanwhile the Forsaken are just skulking about like the loving McPoyles.

Ishamael: Moghedien, stab somebody! [is stabbed by Moghedien] AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Grundulum posted:

You have the Breaking of the World, the Trolloc Wars that lasted for like 400 years from 800-1200 AB, then Artur Hawkwing leading a continent-spanning war of conquest around 2000 AB that involved a siege of Tar Valon and concessions made by the Amyrlin Seat, and finally the Last Battle and end of the Age at 3000 AB. For an Aes Sedai who expects to live about 300 years, that’s pretty much a coin flip of having to deal with some poo poo during your time in the Black Ajah. You’d think the Whites at least, with their emphasis on logic, might have thought about it more thoroughly. Or the benefits of being Black Ajah outweigh the drawbacks to a sufficiently great degree.

To be fair to the Black Ajah, not all of them join voluntarily. A lot of them are quietly scoped out beforehand, abducted in the middle of the night, and told to either swear some new oaths or get murdered. That's what happened to Verin at least. Coin toss between power and possible death, or certain immediate death.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Let’s check in with best boy Ishamael!

*Ish frantically gesturing to certain death*

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Morrow posted:

To be fair to the Black Ajah, not all of them join voluntarily. A lot of them are quietly scoped out beforehand, abducted in the middle of the night, and told to either swear some new oaths or get murdered. That's what happened to Verin at least. Coin toss between power and possible death, or certain immediate death.

Verin got nabbed because she was looking for information on the Black Ajah, and was not killed because that's evidently a common way for the Black to recruit. Liandrin, for example, started putting out feelers for Black sisters even before she gained the shawl.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jedit posted:

Verin got nabbed because she was looking for information on the Black Ajah, and was not killed because that's evidently a common way for the Black to recruit. Liandrin, for example, started putting out feelers for Black sisters even before she gained the shawl.

Opens door. "Any Black Ajah in here?"
"Yes. Would you like to die, or join?"
"...join?"
"Welcome aboard."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Opens door. "Any Black Ajah in here?"
"Yes. Would you like to die, or join?"
"...join?"
"Welcome aboard."

"Why are so many Sisters just randomly dying lately? Is this a thing? Should I be worried?"

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

"Where my Black Ajah at!"

*murdered by Ishamael for 9 days*

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Jedit posted:

Liandrin was an exception as she was a darkfriend before she came to the tower, but most Black Ajah were recruited involuntarily after being raised as Aes Sedai (Galina was apparently Aes Sedai for five years before joining the Black).

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Have a link to an EW article with some teasers on S3

https://ew.com/tv/the-wheel-of-time-showrunner-forsaken-whats-coming-season-3/

Sounds like potentially they’re going to do the caravan to Rhuidean stuff as that’s basically a “who’s the cylon” plot.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

Halfway through Book 4 on a reread, and I am reminded of both how annoying Rand's ludicrous attitude to the Maidens is, and how much the dramatic irony in the depiction of his foolishness is surprisingly progressive for something written by a man in the 1990s.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
AMoL is so so good. I ended up reading the last 600 pages in one sitting yesterday cause I couldn't make myself stop.

The show had better have a 2.5 hour episode to mirror the 200 page chapter :colbert:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Props to the ppl who recommended reading the Nexua tumbler blog along with ny reread. Been so good to have someone so dedicated and so well versed in critical reading (to the point she's calling out plot poins before they happen and illuminate characterization, etc). Definitely enriched the experience.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Big Mutha Truckers 2 posted:

AMoL is so so good. I ended up reading the last 600 pages in one sitting yesterday cause I couldn't make myself stop.

The show had better have a 2.5 hour episode to mirror the 200 page chapter :colbert:

*Amazon exec*

We'll give you two minutes

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shageletic posted:

*Amazon exec*

We'll give you two minutes

Meanwhile Jeff Bezos adds another deck to his fortress yacht.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nine-gear crow posted:

Meanwhile Jeff Bezos adds another deck to his fortress yacht.

Intellectually I know Bezos is bad

Otoh I got to see mat blow the horn, so who can really judge here

Patronage is a great system it turns out

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://x.com/RedanianIntel/status/1717613121156587520?s=20

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

A friend of mine has finally dug her teeth into WoT for the first time after bouncing off a couple times, and is currently in the middle of Dragon Reborn. It's been a couple years for me, so I decided to join her with a reread jumping right in at book 3. I just got to the girls meeting the Aiel for the first time and goddamnit, I'm so excited. The Aiel remain my favorite part of these books.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Props to the ppl who recommended reading the Nexua tumbler blog along with ny reread. Been so good to have someone so dedicated and so well versed in critical reading (to the point she's calling out plot poins before they happen and illuminate characterization, etc). Definitely enriched the experience.

What's the link to the blog? Sounds like something I should check out.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Can't wait for her and romanda to make out

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Devorum posted:

Neuxue. She stopped around ToM sadly and I haven't heard signs she plans to finish.

https://neuxue.tumblr.com/WoT-liveblog

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Devorum posted:

Here you go: https://neuxue.tumblr.com/WoT-liveblog

It's been part and parcel of going back thru the series (and thru the Sanderson books I never read). Read a bit, then see my thoughts laid out and made a 1000 times more cogent in her blog.

E: ^^^ gently caress

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I see this blogger has already honed in on Mat's entire character.

"Mat The Little poo poo"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

DOVIE'ANDE SE TOVYA SAGAIN

may have gotten a lil chill when he roared that

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

silvergoose posted:

Neuxue. She stopped around ToM sadly and I haven't heard signs she plans to finish.

https://neuxue.tumblr.com/WoT-liveblog

I've seen her claim that she does plan to finish several times, it's just always in an indefinite "someday"

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm back into Memory of Light on an audiobook re-listen and while I remembered how Sanderson loved to Think With Portals, I forgot the part where Perrin tries to set up the TAR wolves to act as an instant communication relay network. "Space yourselves out just to the edge of sending range and when Slayer shows up, send a message through the whole network so it reaches me down at Merrilor."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

the ZigWolf protocol