Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so nurgle makes you a doom poster virus.

Pretty much. I think we all know someone who is that kind of doomer who is comfortably numb and just accepts the sliding down into a further hell as a given. Not a good place to be.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, khorne doesnt care and slanessh is just empty hedonism or excessive passion with out passion. tzeech i think just views everything as long game and everyone is transactional. Nurgle loves you(and maybe he really thinks he does sorta) but he is a gaslighting abuser

Khorne is a more blood thirsty zealotry or more accurate "I don't believe anything I'm just here for the violence" type. But any extremist will do as long as they make the blood flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I just finished watchers of the throne: the regent's shadow, and it was great- really recommend both that and the vaults of terra series. Chris Wraight does a fantastic job with both, and the same goes for the voice actors. Loved all the political intrigue, and lmao the officio assassinorum is terrifying

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

All of Wraight’s Terra stuff is top notch

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

NihilCredo posted:

Haley does better when it comes to Cawl's interactions with his entourage, but the fact that he explicitly equips and unequips personality traits like items in a RPG is the biggest own goal I've ever seen a sci-fi writer commit. How can you possibly introduce any pathos when the protagonist starts every conversation with "btw, I've got my Affable/Confident/Diplomatic gear equipped so I can only express those 3 emotions for the rest of the scene no matter what happens".

i dont think that fully bad if you wrote it correctly. one of my favorite things about twice dead king is the main dude has basicaly broken up his brain and he basicaly ends up having a disco elysium brain. if i wrote cawl id have bits of that mixed with maybe his personalities have more control then he does but the machine keeps him thinking he is always in control. isnt have basicaly a hivemind now anyway.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont think that fully bad if you wrote it correctly. one of my favorite things about twice dead king is the main dude has basicaly broken up his brain and he basicaly ends up having a disco elysium brain. if i wrote cawl id have bits of that mixed with maybe his personalities have more control then he does but the machine keeps him thinking he is always in control. isnt have basicaly a hivemind now anyway.

Yes, "multiple personas fighting for control" is a classic of pulp literature for a reason. It lets you present inner conflict in the form of dialogue, which is a *lot* easier to both write and read.

Cawl is not written that way in Genefather, however - it's not done "correctly", as you said. We don't see e.g. Sedayne's personality coming to the fore, which I was kind of expecting since it's brought up very early in the book. It's more like "oh I really care for my friend and wish I could let him know in this delicate moment, unfortunately I left Basic Empathy in my room so best I can do is the same loving used car salesmen dialogue I've been using all book".

I suspect Haley might have intended it as a cover for his inability to write a convincing 10k year old traumatised posthuman genius - which *is* absolutely a tall order - but it backfires and ends up lampshading it instead.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

NihilCredo posted:

Yes, "multiple personas fighting for control" is a classic of pulp literature for a reason. It lets you present inner conflict in the form of dialogue, which is a *lot* easier to both write and read.

Cawl is not written that way in Genefather, however - it's not done "correctly", as you said. We don't see e.g. Sedayne's personality coming to the fore, which I was kind of expecting since it's brought up very early in the book. It's more like "oh I really care for my friend and wish I could let him know in this delicate moment, unfortunately I left Basic Empathy in my room so best I can do is the same loving used car salesmen dialogue I've been using all book".

I suspect Haley might have intended it as a cover for his inability to write a convincing 10k year old traumatised posthuman genius - which *is* absolutely a tall order - but it backfires and ends up lampshading it instead.

i mean i like alot that type of writing with mechanicus characters are like that to various degrees, their brains are so hosed up and computerfied that they can basicaly turn off emotions or put them in background running and allow them to work when they want. abbnet and whoever wrote mechanicus book and the mechanicus game make heavy use of that and it works. as a mechanicus nerd, they work best when they have some human qualities but are mostly just vaguely sociopathic computers that can pick and choose and have various weird doctrinal disputes and poo poo. it sounds more like haley just sucks at it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Its somewhat heavily implied through Iron Hands lore that cybernetics gently caress with your soul, and the more cybernetics you have the less your soul registers to psykers.

Bohemian Nights posted:

I just finished watchers of the throne: the regent's shadow, and it was great- really recommend both that and the vaults of terra series. Chris Wraight does a fantastic job with both, and the same goes for the voice actors. Loved all the political intrigue, and lmao the officio assassinorum is terrifying

I feel like 90% of officio assassinorum lore is them being gently caress ups, but every so often you get a bit like the mission to assassinate a Tau ethereal and them just blowing through dozens of layers of security and decoys while in an active warzone.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

NihilCredo posted:

An interesting take on Cawl would be that all he has accomplished and is currently engaged in is a ten thousand year pattern of distraction to try and evade having to confront and process all that he has been through. He has all the answers for everyone's questions, except his own.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Fearless posted:

An interesting take on Cawl would be that all he has accomplished and is currently engaged in is a ten thousand year pattern of distraction to try and evade having to confront and process all that he has been through. He has all the answers for everyone's questions, except his own.

I've said it before. I bet Haley modelled his Cawl after MCU Tony Stark.

I'm just waiting for the And I'm Belisarius Cawl *snap* moment to drop

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

MariusLecter posted:

Pretty much. I think we all know someone who is that kind of doomer who is comfortably numb and just accepts the sliding down into a further hell as a given. Not a good place to be.

Khorne is a more blood thirsty zealotry or more accurate "I don't believe anything I'm just here for the violence" type. But any extremist will do as long as they make the blood flow.

That's changed over time though; Khorne was once described as the place all the blood flowed to, but then described the various characters that (knowingly or otherwise) were effectively attached to Khorne, and that was everything from the noble duellist to honourable knight, to the blood soaked beserker. Khorne isn't violence in the same way Slaanesh isn't sex. Khorne is domination, and Slaanesh is hedonism. (With Tzeentch as volatility and Nurgle as.... despair, but also rebirth.)

I've always liked to plot them as a Venn; Each one overlaps with the others, with Undivided in the centre not being a 'lack' of Gods favour, but all of them, vying.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I dont know if I agree with nurgle being rebirth, or at least the rebirth aspect is not being played straight (yes yes his minions and domain is full of "life", but that almost always seems to be done for humorous, ironic effect".

He's way more locked on into the inevtiable decay/entropy of life.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Like I get where the idea that he is rebirth comes from, but hes like locked into that point of natural decay/rebirth cycle where its a squriming corpse of maggots and never really gets beyond that point, which imo highlights the fact that thats all he gives a poo poo about. While still being able to be a little poo poo and go "Well you see I am just the natural way of things you cant have life without death" or whatever.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Liber Chaotica made the point that Nurgle is associated with hope/despair, but especially the latter as he is fundamentally an entropic force the same as the other big three chaos gods.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Yeah but the hope he provides is almost always as a relief/release from the poo poo he causes.

Its nurgle 101 to cause a massive, painful plague and go "The pain stops if you worship me"

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Telsa Cola posted:

Yeah but the hope he provides is almost always as a relief/release from the poo poo he causes.

Its nurgle 101 to cause a massive, painful plague and go "The pain stops if you worship me"

It's even worse than that. Nurgle 101 is "You stop caring so much about how badly it hurts if you worship me." The Ruinous Powers are, as the name implies, ruinous.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Ive come to think of Slaanesh as being about addiction. It doesn't care if you enjoy the sensation or not, it's that eternal, gripping NEED that matters.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Slaneesh is excess/pursuit of sensation. You do a thing, it feels good but you get numb to it so you need more of the thing.

Then when you piss off Slaanesh they flip the numb switch off and you basically die from sensory overload.

There's a line somewhere where a chaos marine basically has an exposed nervous system and it feels amazing up until the point they fail in someway and Slaanesh pulls the warp/chaos magic out of that situation and they die from sensory/pain overload.

This is also why pleasure cults get real weird after starting with drugs/orgies.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The four really make more sense in the context of their paired opposite.

Nurgle isn't rebirth, it's festering stagnation. It's not despair itself, it's the comfort in abandoning all agency. Resigning yourself to despair. Maybe you've poo poo the bed, but didn't it feel kinda nice?

Tzeench represents the opposite: pathological attempts to control all things. Plots and schemes and magical thinking. Rejection of self to the point of rebirth. It's refusing to accept any reality, and brute forcing your will to reshape it. It's control, and the satisfaction of determining outcomes.

Khorne and Slaanesh are a lot less vague.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Chaos gods represent all their loosely connected emotions but the negative ones are more powerful and/or prevalent. Still, them also being seen through their good aspects is always an interesting way to explain why people worship them

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/10/25/the-ven-densts-return-in-a-new-black-library-tale-by-richard-strachan/

This week's Black Library news is that we're getting a new ven Densts novel.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Chaos would be more interesting in some ways if the Chaos Gods really fulfilled their dual nature like this instead of always spiraling towards the end. Gimme a Greater Demon of perfectly balanced, thriving ecosystems from Grampy Nurgle, or a Daemonette of Artistic Inspiration that didn't result in the artist skullfucking themselves in the end.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

habeasdorkus posted:

Chaos would be more interesting in some ways if the Chaos Gods really fulfilled their dual nature like this instead of always spiraling towards the end. Gimme a Greater Demon of perfectly balanced, thriving ecosystems from Grampy Nurgle, or a Daemonette of Artistic Inspiration that didn't result in the artist skullfucking themselves in the end.

There''s nothing chaotic without the spiral towards absolute annihilation though?

E: Wild Speculation: The War in Heaven and the death of all the eldar gods was actually just the 4 going mask off and absorbing shards of themselves because their Great Game reached a new level. Cegorach survived because the laughing god is actually a shard of The Dark King and that is why the emperor has no sense of humor.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 25, 2023

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

habeasdorkus posted:

That's fine for another setting, but not for 40K. Chaos is all bad, all the time. Chaos is the Primordial Annihilator, the corruptor, the poisoner, the torturer, and takes glee in all these things.

Chaos can grant gifts to its followers, of course, but always does so in the interest of causing further pain and suffering. Chaos is never benevolent. It may uplift one person, but always so that that person can use their power to sow more ruin.

To a slave on an Imperial factory-world, getting that taste of power and relief of their own suffering may be worth causing others to suffer even more. It's a very plausible devil's bargain. But they are still bargaining with the devil, who is pure evil and who breaks their bargains at their whim.

The Chaos gods even having a dual nature is basically fanfiction at this point, they've been portrayed as pure evil for decades now.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

The Chaos gods represent all their loosely connected emotions but the negative ones are more powerful and/or prevalent. Still, them also being seen through their good aspects is always an interesting way to explain why people worship them

Who, who actually sees them like that though.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Sextro posted:

There''s nothing chaotic without the spiral towards absolute annihilation though?

Yes. For me the 40K Universe having 'Only Bad Endings' as part of the basics of the setting is part of the core appeal. The Empire is unbelievably cruel and all possible escapes are doomed. Its what separates it from Star Wars for me.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

The other side of the coin of the people who see the Imperium as a utopian society.

If I had even the slightest artistic talent I'd redo the "Wow, cool space empire!" sketch but with the Chaos Gods instead of the Imperium's representatives.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Kylaer posted:

That's fine for another setting, but not for 40K. Chaos is all bad, all the time. Chaos is the Primordial Annihilator, the corruptor, the poisoner, the torturer, and takes glee in all these things.

Chaos can grant gifts to its followers, of course, but always does so in the interest of causing further pain and suffering. Chaos is never benevolent. It may uplift one person, but always so that that person can use their power to sow more ruin.

To a slave on an Imperial factory-world, getting that taste of power and relief of their own suffering may be worth causing others to suffer even more. It's a very plausible devil's bargain. But they are still bargaining with the devil, who is pure evil and who breaks their bargains at their whim.

The Chaos gods even having a dual nature is basically fanfiction at this point, they've been portrayed as pure evil for decades now.

Forty years of the exact same 'these are the evil guys who love being evil' is very boring

Kylaer posted:

The other side of the coin of the people who see the Imperium as a utopian society.

If I had even the slightest artistic talent I'd redo the "Wow, cool space empire!" sketch but with the Chaos Gods instead of the Imperium's representatives.

??

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

look, they have healthcare ok

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

OPAONI posted:

Yes. For me the 40K Universe having 'Only Bad Endings' as part of the basics of the setting is part of the core appeal. The Empire is unbelievably cruel and all possible escapes are doomed. Its what separates it from Star Wars for me.

I actually see it as incredibly like Star Wars, in that the only hard and fast rule is that "nothing ever ends, not really".

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Forty years of the exact same 'these are the evil guys who love being evil' is very boring

They are literally that though and almost all naunce with them has been basically been shown as a thin veneer for them to get what they want which is ultimately burning everything down.

Like, Im sorry you find that boring I guess but that is literally the view the texts support.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Telsa Cola posted:

They are literally that though and almost all naunce with them has been basically been shown as a thin veneer for them to get what they want which is ultimately burning everything down.

Like, Im sorry you find that boring I guess but that is literally the view the texts support.

Cool

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I've seen forums get bogged down into a hundred pages debating whether 40k and Chaos specifically could benefit from being more morally complex. Interesting points to make but both sides are too entrenched in their way of thinking to gain much from it. I can at least anticipate that the Rogue Trader game will have an interesting Chaos storyline.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Chaos is (primarily) four broad categories of antagonist behavior within the setting. You can get as complicated or simple as you'd like within those lanes, but it's disingenuous to say that Kharn of 30k is as two-dimensional as 40k's Kharn.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The moral complexity comes from the fact that the imperium is so pointlessly oppressive and cruel that individuals continue to routinely make pacts with daemons that feed on the specific type of fear you generate when you see your children skinned alive. chaos is always, unequivocally 100% evil but it’s also sometimes very tempting, and that’s an interesting story to tell!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The thing about true evil is that if you start veering into The Great Four Centrism it just kinda muddies the abject horror of true evil. I think that we search for reasons and explanations for evil acts out of instinct, because it can either help us see the good in something or rationalize awful things by pointing to external factors and nurture rather than nature. To have something be undeniably cruel and evil makes us feel powerless, and to know that it will remain evil throughout eternity no matter what we do is an overwhelming and hopeless feeling, as it should be.

In that sense, DaysBefore is a great character for a horror. We as the reader see them insist that the Four cannot be fully evil, even presenting subversive materials pointing out their "good" sides. Depending on the god in question (Tzeentch in particular would be fun), the character might even get pulled along and have gifts, visions and promises granted for their wisdom and loyalty, only to make the moment of truth and betrayal all the more horrifying.

Alternatively, the character could be an agent of Chaos, knowing perfectly well that the hope they sow amongst the destitute will grow to be delicious nourishment when the hammer falls, onto skulls and whatnot.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

The thing about true evil is that if you start veering into The Great Four Centrism it just kinda muddies the abject horror of true evil. I think that we search for reasons and explanations for evil acts out of instinct, because it can either help us see the good in something or rationalize awful things by pointing to external factors and nurture rather than nature. To have something be undeniably cruel and evil makes us feel powerless, and to know that it will remain evil throughout eternity no matter what we do is an overwhelming and hopeless feeling, as it should be.

In that sense, DaysBefore is a great character for a horror. We as the reader see them insist that the Four cannot be fully evil, even presenting subversive materials pointing out their "good" sides. Depending on the god in question (Tzeentch in particular would be fun), the character might even get pulled along and have gifts, visions and promises granted for their wisdom and loyalty, only to make the moment of truth and betrayal all the more horrifying.

Alternatively, the character could be an agent of Chaos, knowing perfectly well that the hope they sow amongst the destitute will grow to be delicious nourishment when the hammer falls, onto skulls and whatnot.

Yeah, but I think part of it also is a trend in casual pop culture literature analysis to be vehemently opposed to the idea that fascist/theocratic/imperialist/whatever groups can be right about anything, ever. So you get the idea that Chaos cannot be all that bad because the Imperium is an absolute horror show but they point to chaos as a greater evil (and it is, like intrinsically).

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Chaos is all the bad things about humanity, and just like in the real world, being a loving evil bastard can a) feel good, b) get you power, and c) feels like the only option when you're in an extremely lovely situation. It's just turned up to 11 because that's 40K, baby.

Also it's worth noting that Moorcock is one of the big inspirations for Chaos, and in his books Chaos isn't guaranteed to be evil, and is often seen as the good side because extreme Order is stagnation and oppression that only chaos can break (I don't think this is true in 40K tho)

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Telsa Cola posted:

The Norsemen north/north-west of Kislev. Then occasionally lovely treatment/cultural incompatibility by Kislev/the Empire causes a bunch of them to push "y'know, those guys north of us have a point" or one of those two tribes of absolute assholes get the moderate tribes on their side and they decide to go a viking down south.

This is all down to GW not nicking/pushing the idea of Law when they nicked the idea of Chaos from Michael Moorcock, anyway. Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1st edition mentioned Gods of Law in one book but it never really got any further. It went more with human gods other than Sigmar and Ulric which are the ones that see more relevance in the wargame.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Guys?

I don't think Malal ever really went away. I think he's in this thread, posting with us right now....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Telsa Cola posted:

Yeah, but I think part of it also is a trend in casual pop culture literature analysis to be vehemently opposed to the idea that fascist/theocratic/imperialist/whatever groups can be right about anything, ever. So you get the idea that Chaos cannot be all that bad because the Imperium is an absolute horror show but they point to chaos as a greater evil (and it is, like intrinsically).

yeah i mean the only reason the imperium even remotely makes sense diegetically is if there’s an even worse horror out there it’s protecting people from. without the external threat of chaos the imperium could never survive, that type of callousness and brutality is absolute poison to governments.

the tragedy of the 41st millennium is that humanity has reacted to the real, existential horror of Chaos by creating something nearly as bad, but just barely not bad enough to completely collapse.