Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

RabbitWizard posted:

I'd turn on first layer expansion 5mm and sheath around the support for good measure, also the print speed for the support material interface should be slow, I use 20mms if it is that small.
"Top contact Z distance" is probably the most important setting for good results here. If the layer above is fiddly bits like the fingers, this should be 0 because the nozzle can't pinch off the filament. I assume the failure is from this. The printer is trying to make 3 small dots into the air which results in one big blob somewhere on the interface layer. If this doesn't do it already, the nozzle movement of the next layer will push against it.

independent of the gengar project, these were useful settings to screw with to try another attempt at my awkward elbow print from the hard supports post, thanks

even with some heat problems because I didn't print two like I normally would, this is the first one of these using generated supports to not have a weird line somewhere in the bicep from it wiggling around before it connects to the shoulder. a+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Roundboy posted:

I have like 3 extra since I bought so many can bus boards.

I'll likely have another when I drop this btt board, If you need one dropped into USPS
I already replaced the cable, NBD. Just an annoyance. I need to build a harness to grab power and the high/low can cables into one connection for next time. BTT leaving them as 2 bare wires and 1 connector just seems weird.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Does PrusaSlicer not turn retraction on by default? I reinstalled everything on my PC due to a SSD upgrade. Printed something with a fresh spool of Prusament Orange PETG right out of the packaging and the drooling and stringing was horrible. Otherwise, normal rear end MK3S+ with a 0.4mm diamondback nozzle, 0.1mm quality level print.

Wasn't just temperature issues as I turned it down mid print and largely the same.

I did dry the filament overnight too because why not

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

ilkhan posted:

I already replaced the cable, NBD. Just an annoyance. I need to build a harness to grab power and the high/low can cables into one connection for next time. BTT leaving them as 2 bare wires and 1 connector just seems weird.

Splurge on chainflex, no ragrets.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Sunday project done.

Printed up AMS feeder buttons, desiccant boxes with hygrometer mount, funnel for said boxes (not shown) and desiccant trays (not shown).

Looking forward to where the moisture equalizes at.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Didn't get the two orange halves lined up perfectly and I needed to deburr the eye, but it still came out great.

Used a hell of a lot of supports for the orange pumpkin face, more than I had ever used. But it worked! And it's cute as hell :3:

Model link:
https://www.printables.com/model/587276-pumpkin-cat-remix-fixed

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 23, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

tater_salad posted:

what am I look in at here midge?

Tiny green-handed goatse

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Sunday project done.

Printed up AMS feeder buttons, desiccant boxes with hygrometer mount, funnel for said boxes (not shown) and desiccant trays (not shown).

Looking forward to where the moisture equalizes at.

I’m extremely interested in your results! I’m getting a demo on the X1C in a few weeks and these are exactly the mods that tickle my fancy.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Macichne Leainig posted:

Didn't get the two orange halves lined up perfectly and I needed to deburr the eye, but it still came out great.

Used a hell of a lot of supports for the orange pumpkin face, more than I had ever used. But it worked! And it's cute as hell :3:

Model link:
https://www.printables.com/model/587276-pumpkin-cat-remix-fixed
I wish I had a P1S/AMS already. Cool model.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

ilkhan posted:

I wish I had a P1S/AMS already. Cool model.

That print doesn't require an AMS.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

deimos posted:

That print doesn't require an AMS.
Totally missed that. Time to order some orange PLA.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The pumpkin bit has a good amount of clearance from the cat’s head so if you print them with supports you don’t have to finish the inside too cleanly either.

My printer is still blobbing and stringing a bit so time to do some tuning prints I guess.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 23, 2023

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Anybody have tips on gluing PETG? I’m making my kid some Ironman armor for Halloween. Epoxy was a disaster, it either cured immediately or never. Gorilla glue worked better but feels way less strong.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

ephori posted:

Anybody have tips on gluing PETG? I’m making my kid some Ironman armor for Halloween. Epoxy was a disaster, it either cured immediately or never. Gorilla glue worked better but feels way less strong.

Either PET Gloop, CA glue or polyurethane (gorilla)

poo poo needs to be cleaned, suggest soap and water, and sanded. I've read RTV works too.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Macichne Leainig posted:

Does PrusaSlicer not turn retraction on by default? I reinstalled everything on my PC due to a SSD upgrade. Printed something with a fresh spool of Prusament Orange PETG right out of the packaging and the drooling and stringing was horrible. Otherwise, normal rear end MK3S+ with a 0.4mm diamondback nozzle, 0.1mm quality level print.

Wasn't just temperature issues as I turned it down mid print and largely the same.

I did dry the filament overnight too because why not

With PETG, I always dry first and tune after. Even direct from Prusa, it can have a bit of moisture.

Same with TPU and would do for anything else that loves moisture.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

deimos posted:

Either PET Gloop, CA glue or polyurethane (gorilla)

poo poo needs to be cleaned, suggest soap and water, and sanded. I've read RTV works too.

Thanks! Ordered some PET gloop to try out.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The little cat I posted earlier is all PETG and stuck together with CA superglue. The gel kind as it's less runny than standard superglue

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

NewFatMike posted:

I’m extremely interested in your results! I’m getting a demo on the X1C in a few weeks and these are exactly the mods that tickle my fancy.

Don't know how accurate the digital hygrometer can be when it's right up against the desiccant beads. It's reporting 10% humidity but I do call it into question due to temperature being a bit off by +/-7 degrees on the outside. It's a cheapo thing so I won't say I was going call it definitive and I'll probably use it as an indicator of when to dry the desiccant when the time comes.

At least in Bambu Studio, I have never seen the desiccant status bar to be this full before. The stock sachets were at like 3 bars when I got it.

Still worth doing at least since the desiccant I got is reusable.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Don't know how accurate the digital hygrometer can be when it's right up against the desiccant beads. It's reporting 10% humidity but I do call it into question due to temperature being a bit off by +/-7 degrees on the outside. It's a cheapo thing so I won't say I was going call it definitive and I'll probably use it as an indicator of when to dry the desiccant when the time comes.

At least in Bambu Studio, I have never seen the desiccant status bar to be this full before. The stock sachets were at like 3 bars when I got it.

Still worth doing at least since the desiccant I got is reusable.

Yeah, those little puck buddies are OK down to about 25%, which is higher than you want your nylon to be at. Govee are quite good for even low ranges. I use ‘em for my humidor, my BattleBots colleagues use them for filament storage :v:

https://us.govee.com/collections/smart-sensors

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I just wasted about three hours trying to diagnose an "issue" with one of my P1Ps. Total print failures on the pieces I was trying to run off in a silk filament that I was trying for the first time. Silk's a pain in the rear end, I thought, so that must be it. Wasted some time running through my usual slicer tweaks for lovely silk filament, but still no good. Problems seemed to start around overhangs and bridges, so probably temperature or cooling related. On the other hand, the failures were also occurring at extremely shallow angles, and there's no way my normal cooling fan settings are causing failures at gentle 15 degree angles, right?

Ran the same part off in a different filament and it worked, so back to thinking the silk was to blame. Except the other filament didn't really work because I'm a moron and didn't look closely enough (until like five minutes ago after solving the problem lmao) to see the layer quality issues anywhere the part belled out a little bit. It just printed better than the silk filament and didn't fail outright, so it must be the filament.

Except it wasn't the loving filament. It was me having jostled loose the parts cooling fan connector when I cleared a jam last night so the parts cooling issue was that there was literally no parts cooling. This despite me noticing (twice!) today that "hmm this printer sounds quiet for some reason." And also literally futzing with my parts cooling settings over the last two hours and somehow never noticing that the fan was not loving running.

I hate 3D printers and myself but mostly myself.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Paradoxish posted:

I just wasted about three hours trying to diagnose an "issue" with one of my P1Ps. Total print failures on the pieces I was trying to run off in a silk filament that I was trying for the first time. Silk's a pain in the rear end, I thought, so that must be it. Wasted some time running through my usual slicer tweaks for lovely silk filament, but still no good. Problems seemed to start around overhangs and bridges, so probably temperature or cooling related. On the other hand, the failures were also occurring at extremely shallow angles, and there's no way my normal cooling fan settings are causing failures at gentle 15 degree angles, right?

Ran the same part off in a different filament and it worked, so back to thinking the silk was to blame. Except the other filament didn't really work because I'm a moron and didn't look closely enough (until like five minutes ago after solving the problem lmao) to see the layer quality issues anywhere the part belled out a little bit. It just printed better than the silk filament and didn't fail outright, so it must be the filament.

Except it wasn't the loving filament. It was me having jostled loose the parts cooling fan connector when I cleared a jam last night so the parts cooling issue was that there was literally no parts cooling. This despite me noticing (twice!) today that "hmm this printer sounds quiet for some reason." And also literally futzing with my parts cooling settings over the last two hours and somehow never noticing that the fan was not loving running.

Just switch to a filament that doesn't want parts cooling. Problem solved.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Paradoxish posted:

I'm a little surprised it didn't complain about the part cooling fan not working / not being plugged in / whatever. Not that it *should have* exactly, more that Bambu's poo poo seems to have a lot of diagnostic stuff and I'm surprised that wasn't one of them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

The Eyes Have It posted:

I'm a little surprised it didn't complain about the part cooling fan not working / not being plugged in / whatever. Not that it *should have* exactly, more that Bambu's poo poo seems to have a lot of diagnostic stuff and I'm surprised that wasn't one of them.

This, because I cleared a clog and everyone I disconnect those fans, one never sits right, and I get an error about how the reported speed isn't right

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I know someone in here will get one of these.

Also, how long until Bambu releases their copy lol

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I thought the t500 was big.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

mattfl posted:

Lol, "effecient"

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

mattfl posted:

ye gods

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Really neat and all being able to do, like, an entire costume piece at once or something I guess but the print times would be atrocious. Try not to run out of filament 32 hours in to your print!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm trying to make a Hextraction board, but had to go with the 1x5 rows that someone made for the game because the regular board wouldn't fit on my build plate. Does regular super glue work well for use on PLA, and what does super glue not stick well to so I can safely lay the boards down while the glue hardens?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Randalor posted:

I'm trying to make a Hextraction board, but had to go with the 1x5 rows that someone made for the game because the regular board wouldn't fit on my build plate. Does regular super glue work well for use on PLA, and what does super glue not stick well to so I can safely lay the boards down while the glue hardens?

If you want a base of something to lay down for super glue to not stick to very well a piece of glass works, and when you're done put it in a freezer or outside if global warming ever allows us to have winter again. Get CA cold on a piece of glass and it pops right off.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

w00tmonger posted:

Lol, "effecient"

Efficiently heating my whole house with my printer's bed

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

bird food bathtub posted:

Really neat and all being able to do, like, an entire costume piece at once or something I guess but the print times would be atrocious. Try not to run out of filament 32 hours in to your print!

I have a Neptune Max
It will comfortably print me, at 1:1 scale, from my sternum to the top of my head
But it's a bedslinger so it's slow as gently caress

Throw a 0.6 nozzle on a corexy and drop klipper on it?
Shittttt that'd be real nice

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

If you want a base of something to lay down for super glue to not stick to very well a piece of glass works, and when you're done put it in a freezer or outside if global warming ever allows us to have winter again. Get CA cold on a piece of glass and it pops right off.

I don't think I have any glass kicking around, but would aluminum baking sheets work? I have some I bought for a different project that didn't get used.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

If I had a use for that big guy and could come up with an alternative to a heated bed it would be pretty cool to be honest.

Slap a 1.8mm nozzle on it and just print chairs or whatever the hell would even make sense at that scale.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Randalor posted:

I don't think I have any glass kicking around, but would aluminum baking sheets work? I have some I bought for a different project that didn't get used.

Yeah probably as long as you didn't take a brillo pad to them to scuff up the surfaces I guess? I wouldn't recommend trying to do any actual baking with them afterwards though. I don't imagine the separation of the glue will be as clean and complete as it is for glass. Cold will still probably work though. I do it every time I E-bay rescue minis for Warhammer 40k on the cheap, stick 'em in the freezer and snap the limbs off before paint stripping.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My Prusa XL notification also arrived, but I kinda don't want to complete it right now because I honestly don't have room in my shop for it anymore + holiday season coming up I am NOT looking for a renovation/reorganizing project right now.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Yeah, I canceled mine after I got the P1S.

The Prusa certainly does things the Bambu can't like flexible filaments, but that wasn't worth the $1K-$3K price delta to me.

Hopefully, someone makes a toolchanger that isn't prototype pricing in the next couple of years when I need to upgrade.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Randalor posted:

Wax paper is my go-to for gluing on a flat surface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I simply glue my fingers together while cursing.