Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Buffalo are back baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Buffalo loves outplaying their opponent for 90% of the game and losing anyway

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
*glances at spreadsheet* hmmm....yeah I don't think that's particularly true. Montreal out chanced Buffalo at 5s and all situations plus doubled up and one 17-8 in the high danger category. Buffalo seems to had a huge quantity of extremely bad shots. So they could have looked threatening but weren't actually. Sounds about right.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Since the Canadiens are 5 games in, a sample size that is absolutely large enough to reliably base stuff upon, we can confidently say that with this 100% sustainable pace they will finish with a record of 50-16-16. A cool little 116 points.

Playoffs are back, baby. Rebuild over. Ca sent la coupe. #25 imminent. :cheers:

No I will not be taking questions.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

neoaxd posted:

Since the Canadiens are 5 games in, a sample size that is absolutely large enough to reliably base stuff upon, we can confidently say that with this 100% sustainable pace they will finish with a record of 50-16-16. A cool little 116 points.

Playoffs on the back of leading scorers… *checks notes* … Tanner Pearson and Sean Monahan.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Excited to see how many goals the Leafs dump on Washington tonight

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
If only the habs could play the 26th, 27th, and 28th placed teams every night.

But instead they get the 3 day rested Devils on the second half of a back to back, as part of the NHL's weird attempt to copy redzone.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

AntiDepressor posted:

Playoffs on the back of leading scorers… *checks notes* … Tanner Pearson and Sean Monahan.

Veteran leadership. You can't buy experience, etc etc.

Spelling Mitsake posted:

If only the habs could play the 26th, 27th, and 28th placed teams every night.

But instead they get the 3 day rested Devils on the second half of a back to back, as part of the NHL's weird attempt to copy redzone.

It's gonna be so brutal lmao

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

N: the red wings
V: :getin:

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

neoaxd posted:

They're also on pace to lose a player to injury every single game of the season

https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/1716823836132626635

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Monahan is outscoring Kadri+Huberdeau combined

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

rex rabidorum vires posted:

*glances at spreadsheet* hmmm....yeah I don't think that's particularly true. Montreal out chanced Buffalo at 5s and all situations plus doubled up and one 17-8 in the high danger category. Buffalo seems to had a huge quantity of extremely bad shots. So they could have looked threatening but weren't actually. Sounds about right.
Bobman isn't completely wrong. The Sabres looked like the better team 90% of the time, but then would completely poo poo their pants the other 10% of the time. Hence the 17 high danger chances against.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

AntiDepressor posted:

Mmm gimme some leading scorers on expiring contracts baby so dumb teams will give 1sts for

*checks notes*

Somebody GAVE montreal a 1st to take Monahan?

Lol

Lmao even

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Y'all ready for bluezone?

Imagine how psychotic that would be - commentators running with the feeds cutting everytime there's a play crossing into the offensive zone and sticking with it if it's spicy or cutting to another game on whistles.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

fancy stats posted:

Fuckin' way she goes, boys. Fuckin' way she goes.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

mennoknight posted:

Monahan is outscoring Kadri+Huberdeau combined

I'm starting to think Treliving was really bad at his job

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Diet Crack posted:

Y'all ready for bluezone?

Imagine how psychotic that would be - commentators running with the feeds cutting everytime there's a play crossing into the offensive zone and sticking with it if it's spicy or cutting to another game on whistles.

NHL channel has basically done this for years except way better than whatever disaster tonight's schizophrenia will bring.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

I'm starting to think Treliving was really bad at his job

The man lost two hundred point scorers within a week and decided not to start a rebuild. Their best remaining players at the time were Elias Lindholm and Michael Backlund. Who cares about them? The Flames didn't owe them another shot at the playoffs or anything. It was such an obvious point to initiate a hard rebuild with Bedard as the prize and instead they decided to make that all but impossible for seven more years.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I'm just happy about a 6 p.m. game. Catering to my asleep-by-9pm rear end.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Enjoying this hot start for the wings. We aren't anything special yet, but hey for the meantime wheeee!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The NHL already walked back the pride tape ban. The right decision of course but drat talk about a self inflicted gunshot wound.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Enjoying this hot start for the wings. We aren't anything special yet, but hey for the meantime wheeee!

I've caught a few games here and there, the Red Wings are division rivals but I've always had a soft spot for em. It's been pretty an impressive start for sure. Not a fan of the goal song though!!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

The NHL already walked back the pride tape ban. The right decision of course but drat talk about a self inflicted gunshot wound.

Did anyone think for a second how bad it was going to look when they were inevitably going to punish a player for using pride tape? Like these people get paid a lot of money to make the dumbest decisions possible.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I think the NHLPA's approach was the rulebook says any color tape and you can't change that without the comp committee. Whether the NHL doesn't try this dumbass poo poo again is up in the air for sure.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

neoaxd posted:

I've caught a few games here and there, the Red Wings are division rivals but I've always had a soft spot for em. It's been pretty an impressive start for sure. Not a fan of the goal song though!!

it took us nearly 25 years to finally use an eminem song and we did not use Welcome 2 Detroit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvg2dDGKgZI

Beer Gay So What
Apr 20, 2023

THEY MADE THE BEER GAY AND THATS OK

Jamwad Hilder posted:

One of the rare times you could recommend not making it a drinking game cause you would end up face down on the floor

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DOOMocrat posted:

I think the NHLPA's approach was the rulebook says any color tape and you can't change that without the comp committee. Whether the NHL doesn't try this dumbass poo poo again is up in the air for sure.

I fully expected them to argue that it says color, not colors.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

In the irony of ironies, Matthews will score an Ovechtrick.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

The man lost two hundred point scorers within a week and decided not to start a rebuild. Their best remaining players at the time were Elias Lindholm and Michael Backlund. Who cares about them? The Flames didn't owe them another shot at the playoffs or anything. It was such an obvious point to initiate a hard rebuild with Bedard as the prize and instead they decided to make that all but impossible for seven more years.

I don't think that was Treliving. That's fully on ownership refusing to be dogshit until the new arena was funded. It's the same reason they wouldn't buy out James Neal and why Treliving left.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
To be fair to Calgary, losing your two 100-point scorers will always be rough, but I think a return of Huberdeau + Weegar was actually good value for Tkachuk. Of course, I wouldn't do that deal again today, no one would. But Huberdeau was considered a good player, even beyond that one 115-point season.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

To be fair to Calgary, losing your two 100-point scorers will always be rough, but I think a return of Huberdeau + Weegar was actually good value for Tkachuk. Of course, I wouldn't do that deal again today, no one would. But Huberdeau was considered a good player, even beyond that one 115-point season.

It was alright on paper, but boy it should've been a futures deal not a trade for rapidly aging veterans. Plus I am never a fan of signing a guy to a huge extension before they play a game for you. See if there's a fit first because you lash yourself to a guy. Other than "maybe he'll leave too" was their any risk to seeing how the season played out before signing him? I don't think there was any chance he'd get paid more than he was even if he put up another 100pt season.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

fancy stats posted:

https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/1716823836132626635

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

It was alright on paper, but boy it should've been a futures deal not a trade for rapidly aging veterans. Plus I am never a fan of signing a guy to a huge extension before they play a game for you. See if there's a fit first because you lash yourself to a guy. Other than "maybe he'll leave too" was their any risk to seeing how the season played out before signing him? I don't think there was any chance he'd get paid more than he was even if he put up another 100pt season.

Because the owner told him to

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1716871908430610885

Who's excited for camo tape!!!

Also Dermott rules

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Someone should do Palestinian flag tape to really set off the old hockey guy demographic

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Someone should do Palestinian flag tape to really set off the old hockey guy demographic

I don't think there's anyone playing hockey with big enough balls to do that..

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
There's barely 1 guy per team that can even point to Israel/Palestine on a map

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Misanthrope posted:

There's barely 1 guy per team that can even point to Israel/Palestine on a map

That’s a QMJHL team right?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Arivia posted:

W(est Bank)HL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Arivia posted:

The Israelites of Palestine, Texas.

Make it happen, AHL.