Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Big Leg posted:

good decision. gridman is probably my favorite show i watched in 2023, although it's possible utena steals the crown at the last minute.

three eps in and i'm loving what i've seen so far. the strong direction really helps give a moody, mysterious vibe to all the weirdness of what's happening and all the tokusatsu fights are fun as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
the hero of dreams

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Big Leg posted:

my perfect ratio is slightly more dates and slightly less fighting the gross beast clan guy, but i'm just nitpicking.

havent gotten to him. please consider that the romance and fights often overlap. many cute moments also involve deadly combat.........

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Big Leg posted:

my perfect ratio is slightly more dates and slightly less fighting the gross beast clan guy, but i'm just nitpicking.

This is true but sometimes it just gotta be that way. Occasionally writers just need to indulge their desire for battle shonen.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
it was kinda funny how the story initially seems to be lower action where he does poisoning plots and then he whips out a battle shonen looking mask and has superpowers. its badass however

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

marriagetoxin ftw

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Ohtori Akio posted:

havent gotten to him. please consider that the romance and fights often overlap. many cute moments also involve deadly combat.........

true, there would be no magician girl reverse piggyback ride if they didn't spend 10 chapters fighting the sound guy. the beast dude is a real sicko, so maybe you'll like him more than i did.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Big Leg posted:

true, there would be no magician girl reverse piggyback ride if they didn't spend 10 chapters fighting the sound guy. the beast dude is a real sicko, so maybe you'll like him more than i did.

now whats that supposed to mean

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Southern Cassowary posted:

three eps in and i'm loving what i've seen so far. the strong direction really helps give a moody, mysterious vibe to all the weirdness of what's happening and all the tokusatsu fights are fun as hell.

yeah the atmosphere is incredible. it also weaponizes that weirdness for absurdity (especially in how it treats the villains), but i don't know if you've gotten to anything that i'm thinking of specifically

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Ohtori Akio posted:

now whats that supposed to mean

i've seen your namesake + avatar do some suspicious stuff recently

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Big Leg posted:

i've seen your namesake + avatar do some suspicious stuff recently

ah. thats understandable,

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Arist posted:

marriagetoxin ftw

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I hope the wife-guy chef comes back soon. He rules.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Ohtori Akio posted:

Lol

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Big Leg posted:

yeah the atmosphere is incredible. it also weaponizes that weirdness for absurdity (especially in how it treats the villains), but i don't know if you've gotten to anything that i'm thinking of specifically

just finished ep 7

the little low-poly city builder montage they did for the reveal that akane was a god was inspired. absolutely wasn't expecting a twist in that direction, what a great hook.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/jinjiroubouei/status/1717031665422524424?s=20

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ohtori Akio posted:

lol

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

agreed, death to tedious explainer essays.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Isn't this more an issue with publishers picking shows to make where every mc engages in exposition to explain their powers in boring clinical fashion

Easily the worst loving thing about isekai/rpg/vrmmo shows

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yo plutonis are you alright?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I loved how Melody of Oblivion, like Utena, did not give a gently caress about explaining itself when the details weren't important. Treating surreal events matter-of-a-factly, without feeling the need to justify them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

that's a real good lupin ep

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Srice posted:

that's a real good lupin ep

Which season was that one from again?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Red Jacket so Part 2

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Big Leg posted:

good decision. gridman is probably my favorite show i watched in 2023, although it's possible utena steals the crown at the last minute.

shidman

marumaru
May 20, 2013

excellent high effort post. do make more in this vein in the future

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
watch ssss.gridman, dongicus

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/writerofscratch/status/1717124089234575413

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Good poo poo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

good but also egads at that becoming a law in the first place

marumaru
May 20, 2013

they repealed WHAT

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The gently caress? I didn’t even know that was a law in Japan

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marumaru posted:

they repealed WHAT

symbolic posted:

good but also egads at that becoming a law in the first place

Larryb posted:

The gently caress? I didn’t even know that was a law in Japan

To be clear the 'sterilization' law was meant as in 'gender reassignment surgery.' IE: 'you can't have a dick and have 'female' on your ID.' This is, still very bad, but thats the intent of that whole set of laws.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the laws have also been coming under heavy public opposition for years, basically nobody thought any of this stuff was normal

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Not to argue or anything but I bet those folks that laughed on the news about gay peoples self deaths thought it was normal

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
politicians aren't normal people

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dont forget that those statements incited fairly large protests, people did not take that well

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

From my understanding most politicians are terrible no matter what country they’re from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Most?