Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Sawcario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Important notice: Night Creatures in black and white is, in fact, better.

It really feels like it was meant to be all along!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Happy Chucky Day to those that celebrate! :chome::homebrew::chome:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

lol this looks rad as hell

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'll say this much for Exorcist: Believer, of course it was DGG, because I don't think I've enjoyed a movie less the more I think about it like this since Halloween Ends.

Someone stop that man.

There is so little actually going for Exorcist: Believer, it's hard to even understand how they could make a film so blasé. They could pretty much do anything in the world and this is what they came up with?

Rotten.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ruddiger posted:

It’s depressing how flooded the comics market is with garbage tier cash grab horror comic adaptations/tie-ins.

Years back I did several writing projects that involved reading every comic tie-in for Elm Street, Friday the 13th, and Halloween. About 95% of them were crap, though there was the occasional interesting idea mixed in there.

My favorite stupid comic from those tie-ins was a Halloween miniseries that was based on the writer's rejected pitch for Halloween Resurrection. When they were making the movie, it was made apparent to everyone involved that Jamie Lee Curtis was only contracted to appear for a few minutes, hence the opening death sequence in the final product. This one writer wanted it to be revealed that the "Michael Myers" going on a killing spree would be unmasked in the end as a catatonic Laurie Strode.

"That hulking serial killer was really Jamie Lee Curtis in disguise all along," is quite the twist to build your movie around.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Majkol posted:

Watching Saw X and Im sorry but I thought the "Blue filter for the US/global north, yellow filter for Mexico/global south" meme was dead. I literally laughed out loud when Kramer gets off the plane in Mexico. What the gently caress?

It's a prequel they're just being timeline accurate

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

CelticPredator posted:

I just want to post this ending spoiler for exorcist the believer because it made me laugh at the fact that blumhouse paid 400 million for this poo poo

the demon says he needs to choose which of the girls gets to live and which one will die, and if a choice is not made, he will kill them both. Tony yells that he chooses Katherine, and Angela flatlines. Suddenly, the demon reveals the one that was chosen would be the one who died. Katherine screams for her parents as the demon drags her to Hell, while Angela starts to breathe.||

I finally saw this movie and pretty much hated it. It's not as bad as people were making it out to be, but it's just the most generic, soulless, bland exorcist movie you could ever make. Everything unfolds pretty much exactly as you expect from moment one and there's nothing that's going to stick with you once you walk out of the theater.

I think the ending could have worked if it was meaner or funnier. Like Drag Me to Hell is kind of a similar fakeout ending but it works because it's so mean and fits the tone of the rest of the movie. Or if the demon was a huge rear end in a top hat prankster type for the whole movie, basically like a Deadite, he could have literally been like "gotcha, tricked ya, bitch!" and I would have at least laughed about it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gavok posted:

Years back I did several writing projects that involved reading every comic tie-in for Elm Street, Friday the 13th, and Halloween. About 95% of them were crap, though there was the occasional interesting idea mixed in there.

My favorite stupid comic from those tie-ins was a Halloween miniseries that was based on the writer's rejected pitch for Halloween Resurrection. When they were making the movie, it was made apparent to everyone involved that Jamie Lee Curtis was only contracted to appear for a few minutes, hence the opening death sequence in the final product. This one writer wanted it to be revealed that the "Michael Myers" going on a killing spree would be unmasked in the end as a catatonic Laurie Strode.

"That hulking serial killer was really Jamie Lee Curtis in disguise all along," is quite the twist to build your movie around.

the early '90s Leatherface vs. Jason one was kinda fun, although the best part was the Simon Bisley covers

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

gently caress me, I'm dumb. All the times I've watched Prince of Darkness and it only just struck me that when the nun shows up with the letter and one of the characters says Birack did a series of debates with "the English priest", that's Donald Pleasence's character.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gavok posted:

Having the burly masked killer turn out to be some skinny woman is very giallo. All it needs is the revelation that Laurie Strode killed people because she was gay.

ruddiger posted:

It’s depressing how flooded the comics market is with garbage tier cash grab horror comic adaptations/tie-ins.
For me, the most striking ones are the Silent Hill comics. I read all of them in the space of a week, so I can't remember which is which. But a recurring theme is the story ending with a big gunfight because they couldn't write a better ending. It's a series notorious for lame attempts to recapture the magic of the first 4 games, and the comics are no exception.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 25, 2023

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Frankly it's more of a twist when the black gloved killer in a giallo turns out to be a male sexual sadist.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

How is the remake of Susperia?

How does it compare content wise to the original?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's an entirely different movie and I prefer it in some ways.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

You got time? Lol

It’s very, very different. It’s divisive. Some people love it (me included, it’s legit one of my favorites of all time) some people hate it. The tone is completely different aside from surreal witchy imagery and the concept of being adrift in a foreign place.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the early '90s Leatherface vs. Jason one was kinda fun, although the best part was the Simon Bisley covers

My favorite Jason comic was a two-parter by Jason Aaron about a kid with the same deformity as Jason who gets sent to Camp Crystal Lake. Jason goes on one of his killing sprees, sees the kid, and decides to just keep him around against his will for reasons that only make sense to Jason. But the kid ends up being into it because he hates everyone else and feels safe around Jason. So Jason will just kill some people having a picnic, throw their food at the boy, and walk off as he tries to keep up.

The police do a manhunt to save the kid and one methhead cop is leading it because he accidentally shot some innocent people during Jason's rampage and he thinks the kid can blow the whistle on him if he survives.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Thom Yorke's voice over the credits. If I ever leave a theatre faster, it will be because it's on fire.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

the good: i'm glad they let an Italian director remake Suspiria instead of giving it to David Gordon Green

the bad: everything else

Guadagnino's cannibal movie Bones And All was pretty good though, i recommend it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

There were 2 Freddy vs Jason vs Ash comics that were actually really good. The first one is kind of bog standard and what you'd expect, but the second one has Ash teaming up with the Dream Warriors to fight him

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

PriorMarcus posted:

I only saw it once when it came out in theaters and hated it. It's certainly doing its own thing, but the original is so much more creative IMO. It came out 41 years earlier but I prefer it in every way. I like Thom Yorke's music for the remake but it doesn't come close to Goblin's score from the original.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If you want a weird 3 hour long gothic horror movie with Mia Goth, I can’t recommend A Cure for Wellness highly enough

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

PriorMarcus posted:

Its a borderline masterpiece. It hits a lot of the same notes without falling back on screaming “dream logic!!!” for poo poo that doesn’t make sense, like most 70s Italian horror. Note: I find the original to be aggressively mid, so idk if I’m a great source.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If you want a weird 3 hour long gothic horror movie with Mia Goth, I can’t recommend A Cure for Wellness highly enough

Agree with this too though. Highly underrated flick.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Suspiria remake bravely defied Hollywood trends by using a muted colour palette.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

:yeah:

A Cure for Wellness rules. I should rewatch that. I've got the Blu-Ray.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

The Suspiria remake bravely defied Hollywood trends by using a muted colour palette.

Hmm yes I definitely watch the Suspira remake and go, “same old poo poo!” lol

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

PriorMarcus posted:

You've already gotten a lot of answers, but if it were titled something different you might not recognize it as a remake. You could watch them back to back and you'd probably think, what a weird coincidence that those were both set at ballet academies and featured witches. i wonder if it was an intentional homage.

i like both a lot

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i can think of much worse ways to spend an evening that this double feature.

i will say i've never wanted an intermission in a movie more than the suspiria remake though

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I caught Freddy vs Jason for the first time since it was in theaters last night

I did not remember that in the fight at the end Freddy just sort of hangs off Jason and wails ineffectually on him like he's Bugs Bunny in a wrestling match

The whole movie just felt sort of tonally off, and I want to watch Jason X again to see if the wacky carnage is better

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

PriorMarcus posted:

I love them both but the remake is in my top ten films of all time

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Suspiria remake is good but totally unnecessary and the sound track isn't that great.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The most enjoyable part of it was the featurette that Alamo played beforehand, which went into some detail on Mary Wigman and the Rote Armee Fraktion.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

They're effectively distinct movies that happen to have a very specific premise in common (new dancer at a German ballet school run by witches). The original is lighter (relatively) and more dream like, the remake is more nested and overtly complex with a darker tone.

It's bordering on a personality test which one you like better, but I think you'll be better off having seen both regardless of which one you wind up preferring. I'm probably one of the stronger people here in terms of The Remake Is Just Better, I actively dislike the original*, and I'm still glad I watched it.

*Read some reviews and you'll quickly find one of the big selling points of the original is the use of color ; I'm almost completely color blind so lol I'll just get hosed, I guess.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

To be clear, I don’t think you have to pick one or the other, I still love the original. It’s a movie I put on just to put on a lot. I just really connected with the remake and thought it was great.

It’s hard to categorize as a “remake” it’s a homage to the original that uses the bones of the setting and is also inspired by the same source (the 1845 poem) but tonally completely different. Not sure what you call that and I’m sure the producers were like, “sounds like a remake to us!”. I wouldn’t call it unnecessary as no remake invalidates it’s original and it’s certainly not guilty of just copying it.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 25, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

*Read some reviews and you'll quickly find one of the big selling points of the original is the use of color ; I'm almost completely color blind so lol I'll just get hosed, I guess.

Sorry to hear that, I bought a friend of mine glasses that "correct" color blindness. You should see if they work for your type of color blindness. Enchroma

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

MacheteZombie posted:

Sorry to hear that, I bought a friend of mine glasses that "correct" color blindness. You should see if they work for your type of color blindness. Enchroma

Nah, those don't do poo poo for me except give me a really bad headache. And I quite like how I see ; my eyes are basically all light-dark sensitive instead of color-sensitive so I have way better night vision than most people.

But thanks though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
:cheers:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Watching Evil Dead 2013 made me think about marketing and how it doesn't really make much sense to me that they tried to sell it as a reboot or remake. I know that was the big trend by the time it came out but I feel like if it was just given a subtitle maybe people would have been kinder to it. Then again, maybe if it hadn't been sold as a reboot people would have just been complaining about an Evil Dead with no Ash in a different way. Glad I finally watched it - it's not perfect but drat it's good!

It also made me realize that Samara Weaving in Ready or Not is the closest modern equivalent to a female Ash archetype, just in how charismatic and funny she is while also being extremely relatable as she gets her poo poo completely rocked by everything under the sun. They should make a crossover between Ready or Not and Evil Dead 2013. Grace has her honeymoon at the cabin!

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

PriorMarcus posted:

Its pretty good. All time great ending too.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ed13 rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Suspiria remake gave me the ending I was craving from Neon Demon.