Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

yeah where would you buy these gizmos if you're in the west

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I would very much like to learn more about that sustainable nipper, given the concerns I have about my USAGS single blade. outside of HLJ, I found some of the plamokojo stuff here, shipping on the nipper was quoted at 13 bucks, oops it jumps to 33 if you add the runner dock lol

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 24, 2023

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

slicing up eyeballs posted:

oops it jumps to 33 if you add the runner dock lol

noooooooo

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

even the runner dock alone shipping is 33 bucks drat that's devastating. maybe I'll just go with a diy solution

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I used an old dish rack as my runner dock if you can get some for cheap in a store.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I

Guess

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

mostly wanted that slick looking decal sponge setup but the Tupperware System works fine

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
one of my friends recommended i panel line while the pieces are on the runners themselves and i am pleased to say that no cracks have occurred in the lining of Lfrith thorn

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

one of my friends recommended i panel line while the pieces are on the runners themselves and i am pleased to say that no cracks have occurred in the lining of Lfrith thorn

Yeah the problem usually happens if they can’t evaporate fast enough or seep into gaps between pieces.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

the chicken legs were a bold choice, but you know what, it works

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I've been really thinking about getting that model too. with a replacement head, something more streamlined looks like it'd be a way better fit.

god why the gently caress did I look at ali express for modelling supplies its all so cheap im gonna die from a thousand cuts.

all I did was go on and look for water slide decals and now I want one that warns of a raccoon inside.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 25, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Synthbuttrange posted:

I've been really thinking about getting that model too. with a replacement head, something more streamlined looks like it'd be a way better fit.

god why the gently caress did I look at ali express for modelling supplies its all so cheap im gonna die from a thousand cuts.

all I did was go on and look for water slide decals and now I want one that warns of a raccoon inside.

There's two customizable head packs in the 30MM line, and I think the head pegs should be standardized on everything.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's two customizable head packs in the 30MM line, and I think the head pegs should be standardized on everything.

Yeah I was looking at that as a possibility.

drat this looks like a really good idea. a fan to suck up micro plastic particles from sanding.

wait a sec I could just do all my sanding in my spray booth.

Also I saw this on ebay and thought wait that looks a lot like the glass files for nubs so I ordered one. It works great! Nub marks are gone AND my nails are shiny as gently caress! Dragging it in the wrong direction or not flat you can leave small scratches, which are easily polished out though with the file.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 25, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

P-Bandai packaging seems to have varying levels of effort given to it.

My hyper mega bazooka launcher and fin funnel effects came in black and white boxes with a different font, making them almost look third-party from a distance.

Pale Rider Space Type is sitting in a 'blueprint' color box, which doesn't seem particularly significant to the suit.

My G04, G05, and GM Morocco came in Blue, Red, and Brown respectively, which is at least on theme with the kit.

My Aerial Permit 6 is full retail flash.

A land of contrasts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have a bad feeling the scopedog options parts will be P Bandai'd to hell and back. Apparently the pilot and cockpit unit are already P Bandai.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Also I saw this on ebay and thought wait that looks a lot like the glass files for nubs so I ordered one. It works great! Nub marks are gone AND my nails are shiny as gently caress!

My glass files came in on Monday, and my nails are also shiny.

What was the recommendation upthread for re-matte-ing plastic that has become too shiny? I want to have that ready to go for my Zaku.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
If you're buying beauty supplies; nail buffer block. If you're buying expensive model building supplies, gunprimer balancer sponges (the sponges are usually not that bad price wise). If you prefer sandpaper, something around or north of 2000 grit.

Some folks in thread claim Magic / Melamine sponges also work, but I guess it has to be legit branded ones because the cheap knockoff ones I got don't do poo poo. Good for cleaning the bathroom though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
For stuff like g-rework's third party waterslide stickers, what's the best way to order them without getting disintegrated irl by shipping costs that double or quadruple the cost of the decals? I've been spoiled by amazon prime.
Or is it just a "there's no good way to get these unless you're already ordering something else online and can bundle the shipping together" kinda situation

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

free Trapt CD posted:

Unless there's something I'm missing, you should be able to use Citadel and/or Vallejo without much issue...? There's unfortunately no official color guide at all, but the website lists 'Polystyrene' as the material for the main body and 'Nylon' for the polycaps etc., so I don't believe there's any technical reason you couldn't use your existing paints. Either hand-brushing or airbrushing I think. (Though I'd be happy to learn why I'm wrong if that's the case.)

There's certainly reports of people using Vallejo paints for these models online without much issue.

Here's a video showing exactly what should be in the box, which should be useful when it arrives just in case it's a little more 'used' than usual.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbE515l6pDg

Citadel/Vallejo would work fine, but the impression I got was that Tamiya/Mr.Color paints had a glossier finish to them, where as Citadel/Vallejo (at least the ones I've used) tend to be more matte.

There's also the color range. Tamiya/Mr.Color seems to have some really bright, vibrant colors, and assuming the painted examples use those, then it might be easier to do color matching.

Vallejo has a Mecha Color Line (https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/category/hobby/mecha-color-en/), but everything I have is either from Game Color or Model Color, so I'd still have to buy colors I don't have.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For anyone who uses Micron pens for panel lining, have you ever been able to find Micron .003 15mm nubs in stores or do they only sell them online? I'm running up against panels that even a .005 20mm nub won't reach.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

My first shipment from Suruga-ya has arrived. There were two others, but for whatever reason they took them back to the past office since there wasn't someone to sign for them. They have a fascinating packing method.

I can confirm that they're new kits.

And that they are in fact "used" despite their newness, as all three have tags, or at least the remnants of them, from other stores.

Prof. Banks fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 26, 2023

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Quote is not edit.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

was working on the FM 1/100 Aerial tonight, and i have to say, i can see why some people have collections that are almost entirely Master Grade. i love Big Gundam

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
RGs are cool in how detailed they are but holy gently caress accidentally dropping a tiny piece (or having a piece fly off when cut) is the absolute worst

I’m also kind of in the 1/100s or bigger or bust category lately myself

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I use this from Amazon to help with water decals: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08HQLHTBQ/

Pretty much just a plastic case with a sponge that goes inside that you set the decals on top of.

13 bucks I don't regret spending.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are pastel weathering techniques and Tamiya Weathering Master kits basically the same thing?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I prefer the tiny 1/144 scale myself but if I ever wind up with enough space I'd love to expand into a whole rear end collection of 1/100's, likely of the exact same suits I have in 1/144

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

For stuff like g-rework's third party waterslide stickers, what's the best way to order them without getting disintegrated irl by shipping costs that double or quadruple the cost of the decals? I've been spoiled by amazon prime.
Or is it just a "there's no good way to get these unless you're already ordering something else online and can bundle the shipping together" kinda situation
eBay and Aliexpress have knock-offs of G-Rework/Ghost's stuff but you are 100% buying fake copies and he doesn't like it. Unfortunately your only other option for legit work is hoping a batch get imported to your country or to a site with reasonable shipping like https://canberrahobbycentre.com/ who carry a small selection.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I prefer the tiny 1/144 scale myself but if I ever wind up with enough space I'd love to expand into a whole rear end collection of 1/100's, likely of the exact same suits I have in 1/144

To me, HG kits are basically hobby bait. They're good quality, sure, but lacking the detail and engineering of the MG and RG pretty much begs you to go full paint job and flex all your tools and paints to push them up to a higher level. MG and RG though seem to mostly stand alone at the "truly you don't need anything more than nippers and maybe a file to have a professional looking piece" level of engineering.

I feel like I get the most bang for my buck when I spent a lot of time on an HG kit, while the marginal returns to doing the same things to an MG or RG are much smaller.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I love MG dearly but Bandai just refuses to make new kits in that scale I care about

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Warmachine posted:

To me, HG kits are basically hobby bait. They're good quality, sure, but lacking the detail and engineering of the MG and RG pretty much begs you to go full paint job and flex all your tools and paints to push them up to a higher level. MG and RG though seem to mostly stand alone at the "truly you don't need anything more than nippers and maybe a file to have a professional looking piece" level of engineering.

I feel like I get the most bang for my buck when I spent a lot of time on an HG kit, while the marginal returns to doing the same things to an MG or RG are much smaller.

I'll be honest: I've never felt particularly pressed to paint or detail a high grade kit. If anything I'd feel more inclined to do so for an MG or PG kit because those are so much more of an investment. For me, the relatively cheap price point on your average HG kit means there's less stress to "get it right" basically, so if you like the hobby but have issues with the finer details, or don't have the time/interest in developing the more finishing touches like painting and whatnot then they're fantastic. Cool little dudes from your favorite anime you can just put together and enjoy for like 20-30 bucks unless you want something more exotic than like, a regular rear end gundam.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

but I like the painting. and the low price point puts low pressure on messing it up.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'm at the cusp of needing to cowboy up and learn to paint, esp with the lower grades I'm working on. I'm in the middle of moving and am going to devote a room to hobby/display which I'm looking forward to

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Buck Wildman posted:

I'm at the cusp of needing to cowboy up and learn to paint, esp with the lower grades I'm working on. I'm in the middle of moving and am going to devote a room to hobby/display which I'm looking forward to

My advice (once you have some supplies and are taking a crack at it) is to buy like 5 EG kits and just go hog wild with different colors/finishes/techniques. You'll learn so quickly by fouling up and really see what you like and don't like.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I love painting kits and I think a lot of people are terrified of something that isn't near as difficult as many seem to think it is. You can gently caress it up if you refuse to thin your paints ever but it's a lot more forgiving than you'd think, especially if you can afford an airbrush setup. As long as you're using acrylic painting in an apartment or small space isn't too bad IME, even for airbrushing a small spray booth is pretty simple to set up. I understand not wanting to paint, too, the kits tend to be pretty great in the modern era, but if you have interest in it at all I'd give it a shot.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
May main concern with painting is joints and paint chipping. Do people normally just paint the large pieces and leave the joint assemblies unpainted to avoid friction damage to the paint job?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Mr E posted:

I love painting kits and I think a lot of people are terrified of something that isn't near as difficult as many seem to think it is. You can gently caress it up if you refuse to thin your paints ever but it's a lot more forgiving than you'd think, especially if you can afford an airbrush setup. As long as you're using acrylic painting in an apartment or small space isn't too bad IME, even for airbrushing a small spray booth is pretty simple to set up. I understand not wanting to paint, too, the kits tend to be pretty great in the modern era, but if you have interest in it at all I'd give it a shot.

My hands just aren't steady enough and I don't have the patience for it. I tried it before in the past - where I went wrong, specifically, was that I had never learned about like, clear coats or whatever so everything I painted wound up really tacky and just became gross dust magnets that could never be clean again. I'd like to get back into it one day, maybe, but I'd need a lot of free time and space for it. And also probably not a hyperactive cat who would either knock the paints over, or drink them, or both.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Is there a thinner/leveler combo that'll actually give good results with hand-painting or is it airbrush or nothing

Currently I feel like if I need an airbrush for decent results I'll just stick w panel-lining and topcoating. I've also been spoiled by working on mostly modern kits

Bonus points if I can get it done with acrylic paints that aren't kicking off a bunch of funtime fumes

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I would also like to know this as my hand painting adventures have been fun but I feel like an airbrush would really help me get the efficiency/quality I'm going for in a final product. I haven't bought one yet, so if hand painting can be more viable that would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The only things I personally hesitate to airbrush are highlights and detailing, because I'm not that good. For everything else the airbrush takes a fraction of the time to get better results.