Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

alf_pogs posted:

the OG Evil Dead is such a powerhouse, hits hard as a hammer. still love em all though, and the TV series rocks

TV series was so good and that last season handing of the torch could have been great but stupid rear end studios canceled it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would rather watch the film that hurt people because that one is actually good. Sorry people who were hurt

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Doltos posted:

Evil Dead 2013 and the newest Hellraiser have really good takes on drug abuse and how it affects others.

strong disagree, easy to pick out when these movies use generic "drugs" as a cheap narrative tool

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Doltos posted:

Evil Dead 2013 and the newest Hellraiser have really good takes on drug abuse and how it affects others. The actresses in both those movies played a drug addict pretty solidly.

I feel pretty bad for Odessa A’zion, as her portrayal of the main character in the new Hellraiser movie caught a lot of poo poo. I thought she did a great job, just the movie went for the gut punch ending, and people at the time apparently took it to mean that her character got to be real lovely with no more consequences than what Pinhead spelled out for her. Jane Levy got to go to town on her demon in an extremely metal ending, plus she is in a ton of stuff so people know that she rocks.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I like ed13s use of it. I thought the new hellraiser was pretty mediocre

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Talk to me was also another drug metaphor

Anyone do a movie where the drug metaphor isn’t bad bc man sometimes drugs are good

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lords of Salem is the counterexample I would use of a movie that does it well. in Hellraiser (2022) and Evil Dead (2013) you get these sterilized conversations where they can't even seem to decide what kind of drugs the characters are supposed to be on. in Lords of Salem, you see Sheri Moon relapse and then in the next scene she's smoking heroin off of tinfoil while watching cartoons and trying to do a French language learning tape and i'm like "now this is a director who has actually known a real life drug addict before"

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I’ll watch the new Hellraiser when I’ve seen every other one goddamnit! *checks IMDb* gently caress!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I’ve only done like the babiest of drugs but I think if you’re gonna do a metaphor for it you should have more knowledge on it than “drugs bad and alienate friends”

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

"heroin / drugs are bad" movies are cool but I much prefer "drugs rock / smoke weed everyday" movies

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The OG Evil Dead is not only the best of the series but also one of the best films of the 20th century.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to see a movie sometime where they do the thing that kicks off the film and everything is crazy but nothing really goes wrong and everything works out in the end

Idk sometimes I think we get caught up in what a story should be sometimes that it makes for frustrating things. It’s why I don’t like romance films because they often always have have middle part be the guy or girl accidentally looks like they’re cheating and the other person gets upset and it’s sooo loving boring bro

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Lords of Salem is the counterexample I would use of a movie that does it well. in Hellraiser (2022) and Evil Dead (2013) you get these sterilized conversations where they can't even seem to decide what kind of drugs the characters are supposed to be on. in Lords of Salem, you see Sheri Moon relapse and then in the next scene she's smoking heroin off of tinfoil while watching cartoons and trying to do a French language learning tape and i'm like "now this is a director who has actually known a real life drug addict before"

That's a fair enough point and it's definitely different experiences interpreting the movies. My dad was taking me to crack houses when I was 13 to dodge CPS and Lords of Salem jogged those memories. I wasn't trying to diminish those experiences by saying that character alienates friends is a great interpretation.

I just liked how in both movies the friends tried really hard and endured the burden. It reminds me a lot of friends and family who are abusers

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I want to see a movie sometime where they do the thing that kicks off the film and everything is crazy but nothing really goes wrong and everything works out in the end

I have only the dimmest of recollections because I watched it close to 30 years ago now, but you might want to try House II. As far as I remember, two dudes inherit a house and a creepy crystal skull and then they are hunted by a ghost cowboy and then the plumber turns out to be a hobby adventurist and together they fight through a prehistoric jungle in the broom closet and befriend a big baby caterpillar and in the end everything works out just fine.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I grew up with house 2 lol. I watched it all the time as a kid. I really wanted a whole world to be behind my walls

However now I do not want bill mahr to come to house for any reason

That’s true terror

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Grendels Dad posted:

I have only the dimmest of recollections because I watched it close to 30 years ago now, but you might want to try House II. As far as I remember, two dudes inherit a house and a creepy crystal skull and then they are hunted by a ghost cowboy and then the plumber turns out to be a hobby adventurist and together they fight through a prehistoric jungle in the broom closet and befriend a big baby caterpillar and in the end everything works out just fine.

Pretty good memory, only thing missing is their zombie grandpa

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Doltos posted:

That's a fair enough point and it's definitely different experiences interpreting the movies. My dad was taking me to crack houses when I was 13 to dodge CPS and Lords of Salem jogged those memories. I wasn't trying to diminish those experiences by saying that character alienates friends is a great interpretation.

I just liked how in both movies the friends tried really hard and endured the burden. It reminds me a lot of friends and family who are abusers

That’s fair, and likewise I don’t mean to diminish what you took from those movies

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

CelticPredator posted:

I grew up with house 2 lol. I watched it all the time as a kid. I really wanted a whole world to be behind my walls

That’s true terror

Poltergeist but instead of static it's Politically Incorrect

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d rather get attacked by that clown than see bill’s face

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

That’s true terror

Origami Dali posted:

Pretty good memory, only thing missing is their zombie grandpa

Yessss, I think Imma rewatch it, if I remember even a bit of it correctly it was a ton of fun.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

drat, Mick Garris is ending his podcast, what a loving bummer.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

CelticPredator posted:

Talk to me was also another drug metaphor

Anyone do a movie where the drug metaphor isn’t bad bc man sometimes drugs are good

It's not horror but the movie Flight is about how being an alcoholic is a problem but cocaine is the solution.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Wanna make a movie where new age woo bullshit is really a cure all.

Like a character gets shot ten times and chugs some cannabis oil, rubs a crystal on the wounds, and/or drinks their own piss and the wounds magically close themselves.

Something like the Matrix except they're fighting Big Pharma. So more like Accion Mutante I guess.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Isn’t that Mandy

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Oh yeah, in The Faculty, Josh Hartnett's self-made not-cocaine is the equivalent to The Thing's blood test.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Oh yeah, in The Faculty, Josh Hartnett's self-made not-cocaine is the equivalent to The Thing's blood test.

in the movie don't they say it's basically all crushed up caffeine pills lol

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ruddiger posted:

Isn’t that Mandy

Pretty much. Granted, Mandy is another one of those where the solution was also the problem.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This part freaked me out in the theater

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Dibs.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

All of these loving rule, but this is absolutely my favourite one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh no idk what this is :(

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I haven’t watched it in like 30 years, but is that one Phantasm?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yup, it's the slave dimension from Phantasm.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

boy!!!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

BOOOOOOOOOO

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Crescent Wrench posted:

BOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYY

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

CelticPredator posted:

You gotta turn in your horror cred card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve only seen that movie once on a stream.