Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

wtf is that seat, dude looks like he's sitting on a toilet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Lmao at writing this article, not knowing muscle cruisers are definitely a thing that exists and having your mind blown by seeing one for the first time

Seeing a really crap looking one at that

What it reminds me of is those people (csb?) who will build something that is technically a perfect union of a bunch of different things and works amazingly but looks like absolute undignified rear end to anyone with two working eyes

And these guys are selling that as a product

It's pretty incredible

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Can someone explain what happens to the geometry/handling as shocks go from nearly vertical to nearly horizontal? Do horizontally mounted shocks feel any different?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It depends on what you mean by horizontal shocks.

The more you angle the shock away from the direction of travel (which is an arc determined by the swingarm geometry) the more you'll be bending then laterally instead of compressing them longitudinally, this is why basically every bike since the 80's has somewhat forward canted shocks, it's pretty much the ideal angle.

If you have properly horizontal shocks like eg the big Yamaha cruisers you have to shape the swingarm with some kind of protrusion to keep that movement in line with the arc of travel with the shock orientated differently

If you have a linkage between the two you can pretty much put the shock wherever you like including some really gonzo stupid places like the buell lightning or the panigale

There's no real difference in feel, if there is it's absolutely dwarfed in magnitude by other much more important stuff like basic geometry, linkage geometry, damping and springing and material choices etc

Basically it doesn't matter, it's purely a packaging and aesthetics thing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Seeing a really crap looking one at that

Agreed. I especially hate it when motorcycles have mismatched front and rear wheels.

yeah yeah "I have news for you about every motorcycle ever made" ok yes. you know what I mean

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Whoever designed that "Buell" on the tank did a great job with Microsoft Word.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Agreed. I especially hate it when motorcycles have mismatched front and rear wheels.

yeah yeah "I have news for you about every motorcycle ever made" ok yes. you know what I mean

Matching =/= identical

Like I LIKE power cruisers and weird performance Harleys and that kind of dumb awkward poo poo and I still think that thing looks like absolute shedbuilt trash, it's just terrible

Cobbled together by an amateur on a budget is not an aesthetic you aim for on purpose and even then the bar is loving higher than that

Also you may not like it, but this is what peak fat gut performance looks like:

Remy Marathe posted:

Whoever designed that "Buell" on the tank did a great job with Microsoft Word.

Corel draw

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Looks like it's about to scrape the fork

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The rear fender on that Buell was definitely bought en-masse from Dennis Kirk on clearance and drilled to fit the frame

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

Speaking of useless poo poo nobody asked for, classic buell still exists post-erik and they're gonna make millions selling this

Millions I tell ya, pre-order now while you still can!

One other thing about this - what's up with that chain? I've never seen a funnel-shaped chain run between drive sprockets like that before. Is that a done thing?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's an idea that comes and goes over the decades

I imagine in that case it's an attempt to reduce chain lash to improve on-off throttle response because the distance between sprockets is so long

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The rear fender on that Buell was definitely bought en-masse from Dennis Kirk on clearance and drilled to fit the frame

I was thinking the same, or even that they found a Dyna fender and built the frame to fit it. The whole thing looks like they had extras of those engines lying around and someone just drew lines around it until they had a frame. It's hilarious that a bankruptcy firm is trying to build motorcycles at all.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also I’m realizing now that the tank looks 6 inches too short. There is just a massive gap of dead space between the tank and forks

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Somebody buy one already

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Also I’m realizing now that the tank looks 6 inches too short. There is just a massive gap of dead space between the tank and forks

The tank looks a lot like a pretty standard Harley pattern design so yeah just an awkward mismatched mess

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When you go to wish.com to order a buell

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
No one with an in-seam of more than 26” need apply.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Geekboy posted:

No one with an in-seam of more than 26” need apply.

Don't doxx me

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Liquidators at Buell looking through a 1980's catalogue, point to a vt1100 custom

"That looks cool let's just make that with modem technology"

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

epswing posted:

Yikes. Guess it could’ve been worse. Glad you’re ok.

The only piece missing from my usual gear is pants. I typically wear plain jeans, which I know is about the same as wearing nothing at all, but I haven’t come around yet to spending ~$500 on a single pair of Tobaccos.

What’s a tried/true brand that offers good protection for someone that doesn’t care about form/style at all, and is perhaps half as expensive? Even if they offer half the protection, it’ll be infinitely more protection than normal jeans.

Or am I thinking about this wrong and should just spend $1k on a couple pairs of the expensive stuff?

Nah don't bother with Tobacco. I've never seen aramid/Kevlar lined jeans have a good abrasion rating. Dyns will sell you single layer AA Dyneema or AAA Armalith jeans, these from Bull-It are AAA for <$200 https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bull-it-covert-evo-straight-jeans

If you want to spend Tobacco money, you can get high end stuff from Rokker or Klim that outperform them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ugghghghghggh now that i'm seeing it on my computer instead of my phone it's even worse. the proportions are so ugly. it's just a big mess of parts that can all look fine on motorcycles separately, but they're stuck together with no regard for the whole thing. it's just "cruisers have this, put one of these on" x 100

it looks like one of those chinese mystery bikes you get in a crate from amazon for $1999.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

When you go to wish.com to order a buell

lol exactly

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
So afaict, that's an EBR 1190SX swing arm, front and rear wheel, engine and front fender.

Putting an engine, that in every other bike it was used in was a fully stressed member, in a double cradle frame seems like a waste of tubing and unnecessary weight.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I absolutely do not trust this version of “buell” to make a frame with an engine as a stressed member, so this design is probably for the best.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Has anyone gone to a stunt riding school or taken a wheelie class? I'm planning a longer trip to the west coast and was considering signing up for one.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Our local Triumph dealership moved to a new location and had a grand opening last night.

There were too many people, so I didn’t stay long but it was cool to see a big, new space for them that’s in the city limits instead of the suburbs. At least if you ignore that it’s at the intersection of two stroads that are at least 4 lanes and folks are gonna die trying to get there (insert data about multi-lane intersections being the most dangerous place to ride a motorcycle), but that’s a city planning problem.

Got to see the Street 400 and Scrambler 400 in person and I thought they looked great. A little small for my needs on the Street and I recognize that when I get something for off-road nonsense I need a dual sport and not a scrambler (even if I love the look of them). Obviously a lower price point than the other bikes in there, but sharp.

I was truly disappointed at the number of single occupancy SUV’s that came to a motorcycle dealership opening on an evening with near perfect weather, but I wasn’t shocked.

First time I’ve seen one of these old Hurricanes in person. I do not need one but also

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
Filthy compulsion to point out that my dad made the Hurricane and that he hated hated hated photos from the right side that showed the pipes. When he redesigned it he didn't know what to do with them and tried to hide them and take all promo photographs from the left side. The ultimate insult came when the Guggenheim museum featured The Art Of the Motorcycle exhibit in 1996 showcasing the 100 most beautiful motorcycle designs of all time and featured a closeup of the pipes on the back cover of the book.

Oh well. I like the pipes too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sometimes you can't control what people like about your work. :cheerdoge:

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

I don't know if anyone here has been tracking Honda's Motocompacto but as is the fashion in 2023 they're taking orders and money, but they aren't actually in dealers until December. I put an order in yesterday when it came out and gave my dealer a call 'cause I have ants in my pants about it--it's actually perfect for my needs. I live in a larger gated condo community and it's convenient to let people in through the gate and to get the couple miles down the road for food and w/e when walking isn't an option.

Anyway, dealer guy said they're not scheduled to receive any until December, and even then they get an allotment of 4 for sale and 1 for demos. The just refunded me since they're not going to hold my money for two months, which I appreciate, but man, I kinda wanted one of those. Can't wait for resellers to buy them all up and triple the price

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

chupacabron posted:

I don't know if anyone here has been tracking Honda's Motocompacto but as is the fashion in 2023 they're taking orders and money, but they aren't actually in dealers until December. I put an order in yesterday when it came out and gave my dealer a call 'cause I have ants in my pants about it--it's actually perfect for my needs. I live in a larger gated condo community and it's convenient to let people in through the gate and to get the couple miles down the road for food and w/e when walking isn't an option.

Anyway, dealer guy said they're not scheduled to receive any until December, and even then they get an allotment of 4 for sale and 1 for demos. The just refunded me since they're not going to hold my money for two months, which I appreciate, but man, I kinda wanted one of those. Can't wait for resellers to buy them all up and triple the price

This is definitely triggering the goofy impulse-buy lobe in my brain but if I can't just walk in and swipe a card for it without thinking about the financial aspects what's the point.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
scrolled through the website, not a single picture of a person actually on the loving thing

industrial designers need to be told no

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

It’s a good-rear end design from any angle.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

A friend of mine is pretty dead-set on getting one of these, he's already got graphics picked out for the sides.

Delta-Wye posted:

scrolled through the website, not a single picture of a person actually on the loving thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqhB6dty-3U

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you think of it as a pointlessly huge lime scooter, it's slightly less stupid

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
I want to like it but I don't have the emotional maturity to sit through a 30 second animation teasing me so I smashed the poo poo out of some roofing material before realizing I could scroll down

When woken from my hissy fit I decided I'm a cheap Chinese knockoff Vespa guy

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
pretty cool I guess but def. not for me.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm on the fence for getting one by half the time I think about it I think "I could just get a bicycle instead". Making an impulse type buy preorder through a dealership seems like a terrible sales strategy but what the hell do I know

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah just get a folding e-bike and get the benefit of not instantly eating poo poo when your tiny shopping trolley wheel hits a pebble

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Don't worry, they'll sell every single one of them to RV folks. Basically anyone who would buy a Honda generator

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bikes/electric/e-urban/compact-neo/compact-neo

It’s 2x the price and not nearly as cool but 10x more practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is something g decidedly less cool about that than the motocompo.

It’s still cool, just a motocompo is cooler