Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Pickwick has discovered that the easiest way to get the good stuff out of the Kong is to wait until I get in bed and then drop it on my face until dig the liver chunks out for him :negative:

Good work Pickwick!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Smart dog.

My old dog knew to climb up on the couch and drop it and get the yummies that fell out when it hit the floor.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Jarvis impressed me this morning. I had a really nice ham and cheese croissant from the local high-end bakery. He was practically drooling next to me while I ate it, but no barks or even whines. I was even able to get up from the table to refresh my coffee and there was not even an attempt at thievery. Just quiet intense staring. He got rewarded with a little bit of the cheesy ham and a small bit of the croissant, which was all I was willing to spare because they're so loving good.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
So a while ago my pup swallowed a piece of rope. It was hanging out of her butt. She was really guarded about it but after all day she couldn't pass it. I basically fought with her for like an hour to get at it to see what was actually going on there because otherwise we were going to have to go to the emergency vet (holiday weekend. I didn't know how far it was up inside her and she was covering it with her tail and fighting with me for her life). I eventually was able to pull on it and it... came out effortlessly.
The issue is, if anyone even touches her back legs or butt now she SHRIEKS and hides and is terrified for quite some time.
Is there anything I can do here? I need to get her comfortable with me if anything just to check her health, grooming etc...
Note besides this issue she's completely fine with me. Waggy tail, obedient and sweet, no aggression towards people.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Lotts of treats while grabbing her tail and scratching her butt

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

HootTheOwl posted:

Smart dog.

My old dog knew to climb up on the couch and drop it and get the yummies that fell out when it hit the floor.

Oh he figured that out a long time ago. I usually put a big chunk of freeze dried liver in there that won't come out but keeps him interested for a long time, and discovering he could make dad get it for him real quick was definitely a revelation. He's done it three separate nights now.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Harvey Mantaco posted:

So a while ago my pup swallowed a piece of rope. It was hanging out of her butt. She was really guarded about it but after all day she couldn't pass it. I basically fought with her for like an hour to get at it to see what was actually going on there because otherwise we were going to have to go to the emergency vet (holiday weekend. I didn't know how far it was up inside her and she was covering it with her tail and fighting with me for her life). I eventually was able to pull on it and it... came out effortlessly.
The issue is, if anyone even touches her back legs or butt now she SHRIEKS and hides and is terrified for quite some time.
Is there anything I can do here? I need to get her comfortable with me if anything just to check her health, grooming etc...
Note besides this issue she's completely fine with me. Waggy tail, obedient and sweet, no aggression towards people.

I don't really have any advice other than to commiserate with the horror of having to pull a rope out of your dog's rear end. It's traumatising.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
Sorry for the upcoming downer post.

My 12ish year old miniature schnauzer was diagnosed with bladder cancer 4-5 months ago but has been showing symptoms for about a year. He strains to pee, frequently pees blood, and has been losing a lot of weight. Monday I came home from work and he was shaking and licking me in the face like he was trying to tell me how much in pain he was in. I made the call on Monday and scheduled him to be put down today.

Since then he's seemed happier and has been eating normally. He's continuing to pee blood, lay in ways that don't put pressure on the tumor, and licking excessively at his privates.

Am I terrible for putting him down a little earlier than I should? Or is it more ethical to let him go before he declines more. I've just heard when the tumor completely blocks his urethra that they can go into kidney failure and a pretty painful death quickly.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Milosh posted:

Am I terrible for putting him down a little earlier than I should?

That's not what you're doing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Milosh, your friend is in pain. You’re taking care of him.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

StrixNebulosa posted:

Milosh, your friend is in pain. You’re taking care of him.

Thanks guys. Appointments at 4:30 today.

Gonna get off work early, go to the park, get him some good treats. Dog's are too good for this world.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

We made a similar tough call with a cat recently. There were good days and bad days, and the bad days got worse and more frequent. Your pet can't consent to living in pain and we hated watching him suffer. We decided the best thing was to end things before everything was pain.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I’m sorry you’re having to make the worst right decision any of us have to make for our pets. It’s been almost a year since I said goodbye to my good old man and while I still miss him so much I’ll never regret letting him go on a beautiful fall day, happy and eating an entire pint of chocolate peanut butter ice cream, instead of waiting for it to be an emergency. They don’t know they could have had more days, they just know they’re safe and loved.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Something I remember hearing is that you sometimes regret having to euthanize a pet too soon, but you always regret it if you do it too late.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Well I feel terrible, I think I missed a month and some change dose of heartgard.

I usually write the date they got the dose on the back of the box. Last dose was 8/10. I realized today it was about time (or a little past) for heartgard. Nothing was written down for September. So I either gave them their heartgard in december and failed to write it down, or 74 days elapsed between preventative doses. Am I right in feeling this guilty or is there some hope of residual protection?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Well I feel terrible, I think I missed a month and some change dose of heartgard.

I usually write the date they got the dose on the back of the box. Last dose was 8/10. I realized today it was about time (or a little past) for heartgard. Nothing was written down for September. So I either gave them their heartgard in december and failed to write it down, or 74 days elapsed between preventative doses. Am I right in feeling this guilty or is there some hope of residual protection?

This exact thing (and that Trifexis made my dog throw up about 50% of the time) got me to try some year long injectable heartworm thing my vet recommended? It wasn't hugely more expensive than normal heartworm stuff IIRC.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Talk to your vet but most likely they’ll just have you start giving it again, possibly after a heartworm test. The heartworm spends the first 2-3 months as a larva and don’t start causing huge problems until they mature. That’s when treatment can become risky because the adult worms dying off can cause lung problems.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Yea our dog threw up one afternoon after her heartworm meds and the vet said don’t worry about it. Same as above. It’s only if they don’t have them for a few months that it’s a thing.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

cryptoclastic posted:

Yea our dog threw up one afternoon after her heartworm meds and the vet said don’t worry about it. Same as above. It’s only if they don’t have them for a few months that it’s a thing.

we use a natural worming mix that covers heartworm but we have to do a fecal test every 6 months - always fun collecting poo

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
A story in two pictures

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Pickwick has started randomly trying to play tug-of-war with his leash on walks in past week or so and I'm trying to figure out what's going on. Is he bored with walking and this is fun? Is this normal rebellious 14 month old dog? It's usually on our morning walk which has a fairly repetitive route since I don't like to cross busy streets with the morning traffic. What's the best thing to do to discourage it? I've tried just stopping and ignoring him, but the tugging still seems to be fun for him even if I don't pull back at all. 'No' works for a second, but more as an interrupter, treats don't seem to help as tugging on the leash seems to be more fun than eating a tasty treat. Then after a minute or three of being awful he just quits and is fine for the rest of the walk, I have no idea what's goin on in his lil gremlin brain.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Pickwick has started randomly trying to play tug-of-war with his leash on walks in past week or so and I'm trying to figure out what's going on. Is he bored with walking and this is fun? Is this normal rebellious 14 month old dog? It's usually on our morning walk which has a fairly repetitive route since I don't like to cross busy streets with the morning traffic. What's the best thing to do to discourage it? I've tried just stopping and ignoring him, but the tugging still seems to be fun for him even if I don't pull back at all. 'No' works for a second, but more as an interrupter, treats don't seem to help as tugging on the leash seems to be more fun than eating a tasty treat. Then after a minute or three of being awful he just quits and is fine for the rest of the walk, I have no idea what's goin on in his lil gremlin brain.

does pickwick have a tell that he’s about to start tugging? i ask because my 12 month old pup Eno decides every month or so that he finds it incredibly fun to jump up and bite my arm on walks and his tell is that he’ll rub his nose against the back of my pant leg about ten seconds before he’s ready to pounce. the only thing that’s worked for me to dissuade him is to recognize that he’s about to pull that stunt and then drop three or four treats at once onto the nearest patch of dirt or grass i can find. he’ll then start sniffing to find them and after he does that he’ll forget all about his scheme and go right back to a good walk. i found it’s more effective if you can stop the behavior right before it even happens

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Nova did that for a while as a way to let off steam, so I figured I would teach it to her as a cue so then I could control the behavior. If I notice she’s getting squirrely or glancing at the leash in that specific way then I can tell her ‘TUG’ and she’ll grab on and go nuts and play. Then I can tell her all done and we move on with our lives.

Generally speaking I’m a fan of turning behavior like that into a cue so you can control when it happens and they can still get the benefit without it being whenever they feel like. If I don’t want it then it’s just ‘no tug’ just like it’d be no to anything else I didn’t want.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Took Pongo to the huge field outside the neighborhood for fetch. I always do a perimeter sweep with my eyes just to make sure there are no other dogs, etc in the area.

I didn’t, however, do a sweep of the field itself, which is nothing but grass. After I chucked the ball I look over and realized that there was a coyote just hanging out in the middle of the field. In the middle of the day. This is suburbia wrf r u doing bro? :catstare:

That’s the fastest I’ve ever ran to Pongo to grab his collar, thankfully he didn’t spot the coyote because that could have been ugly.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Whiskey turned 1 yesterday.

People keep trying to tell me that he is not a tiny fluffy puppy, rather he is a large dog.

So I put together a photo album showing his utter lack of growth of when I first got him when he was 8kg, to yesterday where he weighs 40kg but is miraculously, still the same tiny fluffy puppy

If you want to see my tiny fluffy puppy grow into a tiny fluffy puppy, here's a link:

https://imgur.com/gallery/GRslFM9

But he got steak dinner, new toys, a new walk and EXTRA hugs yesterday 'cos he's the fuckin' best.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That's a big happy doggo

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

HootTheOwl posted:

That's a big happy doggo

Excuse me.

As I clearly stated.

He is a tiny fluffy puppy.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

H13 posted:

Excuse me.

As I clearly stated.

He is a tiny fluffy puppy.

One of the mysteries of dog is that they are both simultaneously

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

H13 posted:

People keep trying to tell me that he is not a tiny fluffy puppy, rather he is a large dog.

So I put together a photo album showing his utter lack of growth of when I first got him when he was 8kg, to yesterday where he weighs 40kg but is miraculously, still the same tiny fluffy puppy

If you want to see my tiny fluffy puppy grow into a tiny fluffy puppy, here's a link:

But he got steak dinner, new toys, a new walk and EXTRA hugs yesterday 'cos he's the fuckin' best.

:allears:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shugojin posted:

One of the mysteries of dog is that they are both simultaneously
He's a first time owner, some lessons have to be learned

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

H13 posted:

I feel this too. People are always saying 'omg pickwick is so big now!' when to me he has always been the same size, even tho he's 60lb now (and fairly small for a golden retriever)

He also does this galaxy brain thing too and it cracks me up every time:

Pickwick:

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I feel this too. People are always saying 'omg pickwick is so big now!' when to me he has always been the same size, even tho he's 60lb now (and fairly small for a golden retriever)

He also does this galaxy brain thing too and it cracks me up every time:

Pickwick:

Whiskey loves tyres\frisbees\toys of a disc shape.

And he has always carried every single one like that. Even when he has multiple toys. He happily trots around the backyard with a frisbee over his face.

'Cos he's the absolute best idiot in the world.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I'm jealous. My pup just tries to run with her frisbee and ends up falling over it. Repeatedly.

She only has little legs.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I am sorry\not sorry for the spam.

But he's having a good day.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Little Bear has a figure-8 shaped tug toy. He likes to pounce when he goes to grab it. Multiple times he's caught a front leg in the other loop.

So when he tries to take a step, it pulls his head down. Then he tries to pick his head up and pulls his leg up lol.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Here's Sif working hard on growing quicker.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
"my dog, she has been most vocal on the subject of belly rubs. Where are the belly rubs? When are you going to rub my belly? Why aren't you rubbing my belly right now? And so on. So please, the belly."

Barely eight months old and already a little harlot.

Pleased to announce that we've been working with a trainer and Coco has made noticeable strides in her resource guarding issues. Our trainer has really been helpful in identifying underlying reasons for some of her more troublesome behavior and suggesting straightforward solutions that have so far been really good.

Clowner fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 28, 2023

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
just moved from an area with -15c average winters to a place with -40c average winters. winter has already started and i need some boots for the dogs and would appreciate knowing which ones wont fall apart in 2 minutes.

dog tax

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
First of all, how dare you
second:

quote:

How dare you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.

My Spirit Otter posted:

just moved from an area with -15c average winters to a place with -40c average winters. winter has already started and i need some boots for the dogs and would appreciate knowing which ones wont fall apart in 2 minutes.
I really like Ultra Paws