Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This is wonderfully meta: the kids in the show I’m watching can’t remember the events of the episodes I decided to skip over (because I’d already seen them, but long enough ago that I’m really hazy on the details).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

https://twitter.com/734nyui/status/1717494445879234665?s=19

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Motto posted:

Dunno if he had others but his read was basically: TV end is Shinji getting over things, EoE is him becoming an incel

Jesus christ

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I love bitcoin and nfts now.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

No

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

littleorv posted:

I always take my shoes off when I enter a home

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
theres definitely homes which are shoes on for a reason. cant say ive visited many as an adult

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
From the New World is proper good scifi.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://twitter.com/azureoekaki/status/1717665208536363065

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://twitter.com/Dino_illus/status/1717755590871576803

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Thought I'd have time to finally catch up on anime this weekend, maybe even to the point of finishing my new year's toxx, but it turns out that my fate is to polish up my resume right after a big move. Never rains but it pours, I suppose.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Speaking of music, M3 doujin music event happens this weekend (29th JST) and there's going to be an online portion as well: https://app.online.m3net.jp/

Events like this that gather a bunch of creators together help discoverability.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/GoldenBoyAnime/status/1717878641118363721?s=20

Happy birthday to peak

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did he ever become an astronaut?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

That man hugged a gd toilet

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Doug Smith really went in the booth, gave one of the best dub performances ever, said "well, no topping that" and bounced.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzE-98XLEMg

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Endorph posted:

near as i can tell the giant bomb thread was calling two guys class traitors for making a website and referring to 'use of funds' in the context of, two guys making a website

that's a rich interpretation. I wasn't calling them class traitors at all? Just seemed like a thing they should do after Remap had been live/succesful for a bit longer of a sustained duration of success. I thought they should try out alternatives that were less expensive upfront. Nothing to do with class or me hating their guts or anything, I listen to every waypoint/remap radio episode. I was challenging their business acumen if anything, but the giant bomb thread was filled with parasocial lovers jumping to defend their friends. It's good that it was gassed and I never have to look at it again

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

thanks, guy who's never posted here before

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

My name wasn't dropped in here at all, I searched "Giant Bomb" lol. And now I am exiting

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I could be a bigger hater in my day to day life. Who's responsible for introducing the idea of the term 'anime filler' to the world? If I'm going to blame someone for all my problems I should know them by name instead of leaving them as a vague enemy that I never define like the nefarious 'they' conspiracy theorists like to cite all the time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

biceps crimes posted:

that's a rich interpretation. I wasn't calling them class traitors at all? Just seemed like a thing they should do after Remap had been live/succesful for a bit longer of a sustained duration of success. I thought they should try out alternatives that were less expensive upfront. Nothing to do with class or me hating their guts or anything, I listen to every waypoint/remap radio episode. I was challenging their business acumen if anything, but the giant bomb thread was filled with parasocial lovers jumping to defend their friends. It's good that it was gassed and I never have to look at it again

i like how these days all the wildest posts about podcasters accuse other people of being parasocial

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Doug Smith really went in the booth, gave one of the best dub performances ever, said "well, no topping that" and bounced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHmBSfci0yE

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

:pwn:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I could be a bigger hater in my day to day life. Who's responsible for introducing the idea of the term 'anime filler' to the world? If I'm going to blame someone for all my problems I should know them by name instead of leaving them as a vague enemy that I never define like the nefarious 'they' conspiracy theorists like to cite all the time.
filler's a real thing (and iirc is basically also a term used by japanese production staff) but its been grossly misused over the years, and basically doesn't exist anymore.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

i like how these days all the wildest posts about podcasters accuse other people of being parasocial

I was just talking about their business decisions with no knowledge of their financial planning, but it's those other weirdos that made that thread unreadable.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

RGD has always kinda been buckwild lol...

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

imagine searching terms just to get mad about them lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

biceps crimes posted:

alright im convinced. Giant Bomb talk is now banned here

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

filler's a real thing (and iirc is basically also a term used by japanese production staff) but its been grossly misused over the years, and basically doesn't exist anymore.

Well, now that you've dropped a pearl of wisdom I must now ask, how were they using the term initially if you can recall? I'm mostly lashing out at the new flanderized definition of it which seems to mean 'any time the characters aren't desperately struggling to keep their limbs attached/ or anything that does not relate to The Plot' in any fashion. Leaning dangerously close to making up a guy to get mad at on my part here but: any time Roger Smith isn't in the Big O being called filler wouldn't surprise me.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
afaik the original usage of filler was to describe anime-only stories meant to pad the TV runtime until enough manga chapters existed to be adapted

under this definition anime-original series like Big O are incapable of having filler

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

closing the giant bomb thread and all it's posters spread across the forums like the 13 ghosts of scooby doo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

As far as I can tell the "proper" definition (though I'm not really a prescriptivist so eh) is just anime-original material, and generally existed in its "proper" form in adaptations of forever shonen that needed to avoid catching up with their source material. But yeah, it's mostly vanished these days. That said, by that definition, Spy x Family honestly is probably more filler by volume than the last few dozen episodes of One Piece.

There's also recap episodes like at the start of most seasons of MHA, for example, but I consider those to be a different thing than traditional filler.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 27, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4S9NuI6NKo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

technically a form of filler that gintama clip doesnt mention is just stretching out the canon material like crazy

there are full length episodes of dbz that adapt 6 pages of the manga, total. rather than creating new material, they just elongate the material that exists via panning shots, repeated action, etc.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I remember that the One Piece anime, when it covered the Straw Hats' whereabouts after Sabaody, split one chapter into four episodes covering two Straw Hats each, because it was like an eighteen page chapter and two pages of it were dedicated to each Straw Hat.

Thankfully I had stopped watching by then.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Back in the day, things like DBZ were airing while the manga was still ongoing. In order to avoid catching up they'd pad out the content with inserted scenes, reactions or even entire episodes in order to allow time for the manga to pull ahead. Probably the most famous example is that they made about 100 episodes of naruto filler.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be clear that isnt 100 episodes of naruto filler over both naruto and naruto shippuden. at the end of the original naruto anime theres just 100 episodes of filler.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm not into Giant Bomb but I always liked reading that thread because it was funny how vicious people would get with each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

to be clear that isnt 100 episodes of naruto filler over both naruto and naruto shippuden. at the end of the original naruto anime theres just 100 episodes of filler.

This is true, but you forgot that it also kind of happens again at the end of Shippuden lol