Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It wouldn't be the same dish, but ham slices in bechamel doesn't sound like a terrible dish to me. Or you could sprinkle them through mac and cheese before putting in the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Béchamel on ham is just a deconstructed croque monsieur.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SubG posted:

Béchamel on ham is just a deconstructed croque monsieur.

And it's traditionally served on toast, so there you go!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

NotNut posted:

Are there any dishes I could make with a bunch of sliced ham besides sandwiches and potatoes au gratin?
Chop it up and put it in macaroni and cheese or green beans or turnip greens or really any kind of soup or basically anything that's gonna cook a while and wouldn't mind some extra flavor and salt.

Chop it up/puree it with a bunch of mayo and green onions and w/e else and make ham dip/salad (think chicken salad, but ham, and you put it on crackers)

Fry up a slice for breakfast, or as a meat for dinner if it's thick (serve with the macaroni and cheese and green beans from above)

Also really good ham makes THE BEST sandwiches, so don't be afraid to just make really good sandiches. Mayo, dijon, jarlsberg/swiss/gouda, ham, in a sandwich press is real tasty. It's a good excuse to make homemade mayonnaise too

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ham, peas onion and potato quiche sounds like a big win to me

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

NotNut posted:

Are there any dishes I could make with a bunch of sliced ham besides sandwiches and potatoes au gratin?

* Eggs benedict

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That Works posted:

ham, peas onion and potato quiche sounds like a big win to me

Leave out the quiche and that sounds great!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Leave out the quiche and that sounds great!

could do a hash and top with a fried egg and some parsley (or not)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I had been assuming "sliced" meant "deli sliced", as in very thin. If it's thicker, cut it into cubes and use it to season anything!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Ham goes great in split pea soup.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You could steam the ham.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Ham with celeriac remoulade, one of my wife's favourites.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Speaking of celeriac, can I eat the roots of any celery plant? Or does it have to be specifically bred for it.

I've got some pink celery that's gonna come up and I'll pull the roots too if it is palatable

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Soul Dentist posted:

Speaking of celeriac, can I eat the roots of any celery plant? Or does it have to be specifically bred for it.

I've got some pink celery that's gonna come up and I'll pull the roots too if it is palatable

Properly called the hypocotyl, they're all edible if they're actually apium graveolens. Wild celery isn't actually celery, and is used as foliage in fish tanks.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Soul Dentist posted:

Yes but celery not bred for the roots doesn't have as big of a root and may not be as much bred for flavor.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Milo and POTUS posted:

General recipe advice question fine? Two years ago my mom made a fermented honey cranberry sauce that turned out great for thanksgiving. Recipe off the internet that wasn't saved, and while it was simple, it's definitely long lost. We tried the same (similar, different recipe) thing plus a ginger+orange one the next thanksgiving and both were kinda blah. I could live without the ginger one but man that first year's sauce was really good. Does anyone have anything that could fit the bill or any advice? I think the second one didn't have a whole lot of cranberry flavor at all and the berries were tough as hell if I remember right. The first year was dead simple and other than poking them I don't think they needed much if any prep other than flipping the jar every few days. Any help would be appreciated

Come see us in the canning and pickling thread, where we discuss fermentation too.
canning & pickling thread

Someone may have an idea.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Torquemada posted:

Properly called the hypocotyl, they're all edible if they're actually apium graveolens. Wild celery isn't actually celery, and is used as foliage in fish tanks.
:actually: There are several different plants that are commonly known as "wild celery". One of them is aquatic celery, but the others are land-living.

Also, poison hemlock is easily mistaken for wild celery, Queen Anne's Lace, and carrots, among others. Do not touch any wild plants that look like celery or carrots unless you are absolutely sure they aren't hemlock.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Arsenic Lupin posted:

:actually: There are several different plants that are commonly known as "wild celery". One of them is aquatic celery, but the others are land-living.

Also, poison hemlock is easily mistaken for wild celery, Queen Anne's Lace, and carrots, among others. Do not touch any wild plants that look like celery or carrots unless you are absolutely sure they aren't hemlock.

Hemlock is a dirty dog - it looks like about 100 other commonplace plants that go from being perfectly edible to 'might give you a rash', and hemlock has to just jump to super-toxic

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I accidently ate a lot yesterday during lunch time. It's in our front yard besides our garden. I thought it's wild carrots or celery. I had a little bit before but I ate a lot yesterday. 20 minutes later, I felt my eyelids were heavy. I thought maybe my blood sugar went too high because I didn't eat breakfast. 10 minutes later I had to go to my bedroom to rest. I couldn't walk by myself. My husband had to support me. While I was resting on my bed, I noticed I could't control my muscle, and I even couldn't open my mouth big like I was numbed by dentist. Then I noticed I had hard time to swallow the saliva. I was scared at that moment because I don't know if I will suffocate. Fortunately 30 minutes later my husband gave me some vinegar with a little bit water to drink. I threw up once. It didn't change that much. My husband also ate some, he got the same symptoms but a little better. We both had to put our finger into our throat to help the vomit. After five times vomiting, about five hours, we both started to feel better. We also drank some honey with water, and milk. We are blessed to escape this catastrophe. My kids also learned not to eat this plant from this.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I accidently ate a lot yesterday during lunch time. It's in our front yard besides our garden. I thought it's wild carrots or celery. I had a little bit before but I ate a lot yesterday. 20 minutes later, I felt my eyelids were heavy. I thought maybe my blood sugar went too high because I didn't eat breakfast. 10 minutes later I had to go to my bedroom to rest. I couldn't walk by myself. My husband had to support me. While I was resting on my bed, I noticed I could't control my muscle, and I even couldn't open my mouth big like I was numbed by dentist. Then I noticed I had hard time to swallow the saliva. I was scared at that moment because I don't know if I will suffocate. Fortunately 30 minutes later my husband gave me some vinegar with a little bit water to drink. I threw up once. It didn't change that much. My husband also ate some, he got the same symptoms but a little better. We both had to put our finger into our throat to help the vomit. After five times vomiting, about five hours, we both started to feel better. We also drank some honey with water, and milk. We are blessed to escape this catastrophe. My kids also learned not to eat this plant from this.
Everyone talks big about the "paleolithic diet" and yet you don't often see people having the dedication to eat random plants they can't identify by trial and error like this

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Everybody gangsta till you start making GBS threads blood

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fr though the one time I saw it positively identified was in the spring, and I was told a trick for the leaves. Don't remember the trick and it sure as poo poo looked like parsley

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Next time you have something like this happen, do us a favor and call the poison control hotline. They can cross-reference your symptoms with what you ingested and figure out what the appropriate action to take is, because it's almost certainly not "drink some vinegar and honey".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Fr though the one time I saw it positively identified was in the spring, and I was told a trick for the leaves. Don't remember the trick and it sure as poo poo looked like parsley
I would encourage you not to eat wild-grown foods until you have bought a plant identification book and studied it. "Looks like parsley" will absolutely get you killed. And the next time you're feeling seriously ill and know it was food, please call poison control ASAP.

e: And for God's sake, do not pick and eat mushrooms.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Guys, it’s obviously a quote

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

You can't tell me goons wouldn't do that

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
A real goon would just double down on rating poison.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Don't eat random plants, just stick to mushroom foraging. that's got to be safe

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Anne Whateley posted:

I immediately went to erowid to check if there was a page for hemlock trip reports

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The goofy naturopathic remedies combined with op's posts tingled my copypasta senses for sure

mystes
May 31, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

The goofy naturopathic remedies combined with op's posts tingled my copypasta senses for sure
Also unlikely that someone in this thread would have coincidentally gotten extremely sick eating a specific plant the day before it was discussed in this thread

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I only eat random mushrooms I find in the woods. Live a little, cowards.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Grand Fromage posted:

I only eat random mushrooms I find in the woods. Live a little, cowards.

Anything's a morel if you're brave enough.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Always nice to have a fungi at the party :drac::spooky:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Annath posted:

Anything's a morel if you're brave enough.

Anything's a morel once.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tendales posted:

A real goon would just double down on rating poison.

I believe this is a typo, but I also believe that goons would argue back and forth about the taste and efficacy of strychnine, arsenic and cyanide.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Anne, the only one that could sniff out im obviously not married

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Do we have a thread of Kombucha etc or does anyone else make Kombucha at home. I have questions.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Aramoro posted:

Do we have a thread of Kombucha etc or does anyone else make Kombucha at home. I have questions.

Fire away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Right so.

I have lots of honey not suitable for much but I could use it for Kombucha, I have a regular scoby can that be converted to a Jun(?) scoby I'm getting conflicting answers.

When fermenting it it's never tasting that sour. Should I be testing the pH to make sure it's good here. I had one fermenting for 2 weeks at 20c and it tastes sweet still, scoby formed etc just not sour.