Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Hazo posted:

I hate to say it but I feel the same way. Someone upthread posted that they already handicapped themselves by not using Kickstarter, and it just doesn't seem like the energy is there from the last crowdfund.

Did they ever explain why the Gizmoplex isn't self-sustaining as they originally planned? That could be another reason for less enthusiasm.

edit: lol if you google "make more mst3k" it still shows results from season 13's Backerkit and Kickstarter. Who is making these decisions :psyduck:

People have referred to that a lot and I thought the same thing, but if you look at KS2 it clearly says they have two objectives: show MST3K can get seasons in this new way (ie via crowdfunding), and build the Gizmoplex, which to me always looked like a response to COVID that came too late. The separate Gizmoplex post talks a lot about community and live events. The only “self-sustaining” thing in that post is in answer to a fan question about precisely that, which says: we won’t know until after the Gizmoplex is up for a year, but maybe subscriptions will be enough to fund episodes and it might even bring in enough money that we wouldn’t need to crowdfund every season.

I didn’t search through all the updates, so maybe I missed something. But rereading, it’s an obvious case of being misled by the context into seeing a plan and not a “hey, that’d be great if it happened, huh?”

It obviously didn’t happen.

Why not Kickstarter? Beyond the company making some dodgy decisions, I think it’s the fees. The number varies, but it looks like a Kickstarter loses 5-10% in fees these days. The platform they’re using now takes 3% and has an option they’re using to add fees to pledges initially and give the people pledging the option not to pay them.

And why not wait out the strike? I’d assume for one simple reason: they have no control over when it ends, and they have ongoing expenses. Altiversal has employees and an office, and the message boards and Gizmoplex must cost something. Firing people and closing the office costs money, too. It’s obviously better to keep them operational if you plan another season of the show, and that might mean raising more crowdfunding dollars soon. I’m guessing they looked at how much is coming in (through the Gizmoplex plus revenue from other platforms showing the new episodes) versus costs and predicted they’d run out of money in mid-2024.

With the writers’ strike concluded, they can handle the planning, movie rights, writing, even sets while they’re waiting for the actors’ strike to end. (They’d be smart to start sharing who will be writing for at least some of the episodes, as there’s overlap between writers and actors on the show and they could do one set of contracts now.)

The other factor is wanting to make the last big push on Turkey Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What did Mallon and Joel have friction about, do we know? Was it invention exchange...

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

zoux posted:

What did Mallon and Joel have friction about, do we know? Was it invention exchange...

IIRC correctly, a lot of it was the usual "creative differences" between the creative team on the show (basically the performers and writers, who were often the same people) and the producer (which was Mallon). I think it came to a head when the idea for the MST3K movie was first brought up; Mallon wanted to direct it, and Joel disagreed, because he felt that Mallon should remain on the production side rather than the creative side. IIRC, that's what ultimately made Joel decide to leave.

For what it's worth, almost all of the MST3K crew have had negative things to say about Mallon after leaving the show, so it's not just a Joel vs. Jim thing (for example, I believe he threatened to sue Mike, Kevin, and Bill over The Film Crew, because it was a show that had guys riffing on movies with some host segments before, during, and after the movie; Mallon thought that particular setup was infringing on MST3K, which he had the rights to at the time).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Mike stuck at his job in the cheese factory. You hate to imagine it.

Now now, maybe he'd have gotten Sex Factory a world tour!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Reynolds Wrap. Keeps Freshness In, Keeps Mitchell Out.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Also mallon deserved jail for what he did to the bots by putting them in that cartoon series

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Wasn't one of the other initial plans for the Gizmoplex to have the 1-10 episodes available ad-free for only a limited time, and then eventually slap ads on them?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Clouseau posted:

Wasn't one of the other initial plans for the Gizmoplex to have the 1-10 episodes available ad-free for only a limited time, and then eventually slap ads on them?

They committed to them being free for (I think) a year, but never stated any definitive plans for after that. The idea of ads was floated as a possibility, but nothing was ever stated as a real plan.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, why is it that the Gizmoplex has less episodes from the original run than are available on DVD (except for Season 1 which is available in its entirety)? Rights issues?

It’s a shame they don’t have Revenge of the Creature and Diabolik at least (and I assume they don’t have the movie on there because it’s owned by the studio they worked with to make it)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 28, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know the original crew didn't have nice things to say about Jim Mallon after it was cancelled on Sci Fi because he did stuff like selling off all the props without consulting anyone else.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Whatever became of Paul Chaplin?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, why is it that the Gizmoplex has less episodes from the original run than are available on DVD (except for Season 1 which is available in its entirety)? Rights issues?

Its entirely rights issues. Licensing the movies for DVD release does not give them the rights to stream them. They need to license them specifically for streaming. Plus those licenses are usually only good for a limited time and the DVDs were released a handful at a time over the course of a couple decades.

For the new seasons they made sure to get all those rights upfront and in perpetuity, so they shouldn’t have those issues going forward.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Whatever became of Paul Chaplin?

No clue honestly, he wrote a few episodes for Season 11 but that’s the most recent thing on his profile as far as I can tell

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Diabolik900 posted:

Its entirely rights issues. Licensing the movies for DVD release does not give them the rights to stream them. They need to license them specifically for streaming. Plus those licenses are usually only good for a limited time and the DVDs were released a handful at a time over the course of a couple decades.

For the new seasons they made sure to get all those rights upfront and in perpetuity, so they shouldn’t have those issues going forward.

Yeah, that's why now RiffTrax's live shows are only stuff they can do later for VOD, too.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Diabolik900 posted:

Heck even some of the movies they were able to offer digitally during the first Kickstarter are gone now. Rights have always been the bane of MST3K.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Larryb posted:

No clue honestly, he wrote a few episodes for Season 11 but that’s the most recent thing on his profile as far as I can tell

I always assumed he was persona non grata to everyone after writing/voicing the Mallon cartoons, but him showing up again in season 11 kind of throws a wrench in that theory.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC he showed up to the Rifftrax reunion special as a guest in the audience.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Paul Chaplin was in the audience at one of the MST3K live shows I attended in Minneapolis too. Joel shouted him out from stage and he stood up and waved at everyone.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I watched the 1991 Turkey Day bumpers last night, they’re so delightful. Always a fan of Jack Perkins getting progressively drunker as the day goes on.

Have a big hearty slice of Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, you simpering, fish-lipped half wits.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Good news the strike is maybe soon possibly almost done

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
They announced one movie for the next season: Battle Beyond the Stars.

https://showmaker.mst3k.com/stories/0Kg0qa

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Action Jacktion posted:

They announced one movie for the next season: Battle Beyond the Stars.

https://showmaker.mst3k.com/stories/0Kg0qa

Oh my God I have been waiting for this one. Welp, there's my pledge.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
A Roger Corman joint, featuring a James Horner score and a young 'Jim Cameron' as art director.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Corman has a rep as an utter hack but it's crazy how close he was to "legit" hollywood stars (he was really good friends with Jack Nicholson for example) and so many famous filmmakers and actors got their starts working on Corman pictures, guys like Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, and Bogdanovich

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Corman's reputation as a hack is somewhat undeserved because although he made a lot of absolute dreck, when he tried he could turn out good work like X: The Man with the X-ray Eyes or The Pit and the Pendulum (although it's hard to go wrong when your horror lead is Vincent Price).

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

zoux posted:

Corman has a rep as an utter hack but it's crazy how close he was to "legit" hollywood stars (he was really good friends with Jack Nicholson for example) and so many famous filmmakers and actors got their starts working on Corman pictures, guys like Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, and Bogdanovich

There’s a great documentary called Corman’s World. He launched so loving many careers and appears to not be a disgusting Hollywood shithead creep.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

My favorite Corman film is The St. Valentine's Day Massacre, because it has Paul Frees doing a very matter-of-fact narration while Jason Robards (as Al Capone!), Ralph Meeker (as Bugs Moran), and George Segal (as Peter Gusenberg, one of Moran's enforcers) all chew the scenery.

Along with Bruce Dern and a "blink and you'll miss it" appearance by Jack Nicholson, it features many faces familiar to MST3K fans: Joe Turkel (Tormented), John Agar (The Mole People, Revenge of the Creature), Dick Miller (It Conquered the World, The Undead), Harold J. Stone (Mitchell, as Gallano...or Mistretta), Johnathan Haze (numerous Corman films on MST3K), and Alexander D'Arcy (Horror of Spider Island's Bob Boxbody).

(E: a fun fact, Corman originally wanted Orson Welles to play Capone, but the studio--20th Century Fox, in Corman's only big studio film with a $2 million dollar budget--didn't even approach Welles about it, thinking his ego wouldn't allow him to be directed by Corman. When Welles heard about it later, he was incredulous, saying he would absolutely have loved to play Capone in a Roger Corman film.)

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 31, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

There’s a great documentary called Corman’s World. He launched so loving many careers and appears to not be a disgusting Hollywood shithead creep.

He's also still alive today!!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
wasn't Corman the first person to use videotape for dailies?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I thought Corman didn't like mst3k

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

I thought Corman didn't like mst3k

Corman loves money.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Helps when Shout Factory owns both MST3K and the US rights to Corman's works too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

He's had his moments but they were more financial chicanery than the likes of dented Christmas ham Harvey Weinstein so still net gain, really.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Is anyone else a little hesitant to contribute to the fundraiser based on the quality of the revival seasons?

There's some good stuff in there, and I think the cast is mostly doing a great job. But the audio quality remains fairly lovely on my tv, with the riffs being significantly louder than the movie compared to old mst3k. The delivery also still sounds like a cast trained on live performances - which, to be fair, it kinda is - with a lot of the lines sounding like they're being shouted at the movie. IMO these two issues really combine with each other to make the episodes less fun; mst3k was best when it was mostly delivered like friends cracking jokes on a couch, not performers shouting at a screen. It's hard to explain, but something about the vibe of a lot of the new episodes still feels a little off.

I don't know, I'm on the fence and I still might pay in for this one... but I don't think they're doing themselves any favors with the format of the fundraiser, and the overall quality of revival seasons strikes me as 'pretty good,' not the 'truly great' I would give peak mst3k.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Is anyone else a little hesitant to contribute to the fundraiser based on the quality of the revival seasons?

There's some good stuff in there, and I think the cast is mostly doing a great job. But the audio quality remains fairly lovely on my tv, with the riffs being significantly louder than the movie compared to old mst3k. The delivery also still sounds like a cast trained on live performances - which, to be fair, it kinda is - with a lot of the lines sounding like they're being shouted at the movie. IMO these two issues really combine with each other to make the episodes less fun; mst3k was best when it was mostly delivered like friends cracking jokes on a couch, not performers shouting at a screen. It's hard to explain, but something about the vibe of a lot of the new episodes still feels a little off.

I don't know, I'm on the fence and I still might pay in for this one... but I don't think they're doing themselves any favors with the format of the fundraiser, and the overall quality of revival seasons strikes me as 'pretty good,' not the 'truly great' I would give peak mst3k.

I’ve had two different surround systems plus listened to some episodes at friends’ houses and the mix sounds different on every system. I also would swear that the physical media sounds different from watching the Netflix episodes on Netflix.

I admit I have yet to try setting my system to stereo. I agree the cheap/old sound mix of the classic show works better, but that’s just not how things are made these days.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The new stuff doesn't remotely have the charm of the old series, from either the CC or Sci-Fi eras. At least not for me, anyways. And I've felt this way ever since they came back on Netflix.

I wish them well, but I won't be participating in any crowdfunding or watching the newer stuff.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Weakest part of nu-MST3K for me has definitely been the host segments. A lot of it feels very forced and I don't care at all for a continuing storyline between episodes. They tried it in season 8 and it failed miserably then, I don't know why they're back to doing that outside of setting up a basic premise for Emily and Joel's introductions.

Part of it feeling off might also simply have been the whole virtual sets/social distancing which I'll give them a pass on. The riffing in the theaters remain as solid as ever. I'm still fine with supporting them for another season but yeah, my expectations have definitely been tempered at this point.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The new stuff doesn't remotely have the charm of the old series, from either the CC or Sci-Fi eras. At least not for me, anyways. And I've felt this way ever since they came back on Netflix.

I wish them well, but I won't be participating in any crowdfunding or watching the newer stuff.

:dafuq:

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Do you, uh, need some help? Having trouble understanding what we're talking about? What's going on buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Do you, uh, need some help? Having trouble understanding what we're talking about? What's going on buddy

I think it's one of those things where a goon can't fathom that other people don't like something they like