Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Thanks everyone. It was a very bumpy ride ever since August. I'm grateful you guys have been there to offer my comfort and support the whole way through.

Dijon is grieving too. I feel like he saw Pesto slow down and understands he is no longer with us. He's been very quiet and will perch on my finger for hours at a time which is unheard of.

Plastic Pal posted:

Yeah, smith rather. :( touched the wrong drat thing in the app, gently caress

Haha, no worries! It was kind of amusing regardless. I was imagining Pesto's soul ascending into heaven like the OG smiley in the post, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm so sorry. drat it.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Dijon is grieving too. I feel like he saw Pesto slow down and understands he is no longer with us. He's been very quiet and will perch on my finger for hours at a time which is unheard of.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :cry:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
All you can do is remember the good times and that you made their lives better for being a part of them.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
I'm so very sorry. Good night Pesto.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

So sorry for your loss.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
I've had my fingers crossed for Pesto since he got sick, hoping he pulls through. I'm so sorry plant monster. :sympathy:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Thanks again everyone. I've had a lot of outreach from folks nearby and around the globe. I'm very grateful for that.

All bird owners, please love your birds a little extra tonight, okay?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I'm so so sorry to hear the terrible news.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I was hoping he was on the mend. I'm sorry for your loss. He was loved.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I’m not sure a sweeter love story involving frequent mouth-to-mouth puking has ever been told.

This is a pretty constant position for them over the past week.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

I’m so sorry for you. You gave Pesto a good life.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Thanks again everyone. Today has been a bit easier.

Captain Log posted:

I’m not sure a sweeter love story involving frequent mouth-to-mouth puking has ever been told.

This is a pretty constant position for them over the past week.

Blue is such a good and doting mate/man-servant to Yellow. She may be made of scorn but you can feel their love for eachother radiate in this photograph.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
so speaking of mate behaviours….

we just have our little two birds but - and this is moderately embarrassing - they flit between three different cages. most of the day they spend in the giant steel cage but after they’d been living there for a while grace got very upset that the previous cage wasn’t easily accessible to the point where she’d get very worked up every night.

so their previous cage became the “night cage” (we have the same kind of cage set up in a different corner as the travel cage but when we’re at home it’s the “vacation cage” that they sometimes like to fly to and spend the day in for a change of scenery) and every night when i dim the lights as we head towards bedtime, they take it as a signal to fly or run up to the night cage.

every day grace immediately bodies herself down to the bottom and digs underneath the paper towels and starts generally causing mayhem

alex meanwhile likes to sit on the door for awhile as a guard bird

it’s funny because these behaviours are just straight up habits now that they do every day

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 25, 2023

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Thanks again everyone. Today has been a bit easier.

Blue is such a good and doting mate/man-servant to Yellow. She may be made of scorn but you can feel their love for eachother radiate in this photograph.

I'm happy to hear you're feeling a little bit better. The hurt never goes away, but you have to realize that's because you're full of love. That little parakeet received a level of care and love everyone can only hope they have in their twilight years.

Blue has actually been mirroring Yellow a lot more the past week. Rather than constantly bothering Yellow, he is just nuzzling up next to her. I was worried at first, but he still has little jaunts around the cage to chirp. But they are reduced by about 90%, all to sit next to his ailing mate.

All that said, and Yellow is still suddenly deciding to get to the bottom of the cage to eat, drink water, and even bathe. She isn't done yet. :derptiel:

mediaphage posted:

so speaking of mate behaviours….

Serra is such a diva that she has a sleep cage next to my bed. You are not alone.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Captain Log posted:

I'm happy to hear you're feeling a little bit better. The hurt never goes away, but you have to realize that's because you're full of love. That little parakeet received a level of care and love everyone can only hope they have in their twilight years.

Yeah, that's how I see it now. The pain stemmed from love and even though he's gone, the love is still there.

The grieving process started way back when he was sick and I felt helpless - that's when I cried the most. Like loving wail crying.

I'm doing okay now, though. I'm still doing my hobbies, talking with people, doing errands, etc.

Dijon has been taking things well. He's suddenly more interested in me than before. He even perched onto a stranger's finger. That'd unheard of!

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Before we got Opal after my unforgivable fuckup with Beryl, Jasper was showing signs of pivoting to being a much more human friendly bird. Even started demanding the scritchie.

She's back to her well-regulated hand cuddle self, having a bird to demand attention from. I miss touching the softest cloud as much, but she seems happier with the situation

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Loaf season is upon us

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

omg, big english budgie and nice Hoya (pubicalyx?)

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

He may look big but from my understanding he's on the smaller end for an English budgie. He's only about 50 grams most days. His little half brother is more around 45.

Thanks for the hoya ID lead. We honestly weren't sure. Its my partners moms plant and its probably 30 years old.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That enormous front floof and mighty muttonchops absolutely suggest English show budgie.
Is he very mild and extremely stupid, in a charming sort of way? That was my experience of an English show budgie.
Puff Puff was adorable and infuriating in equal measures to his cagemate. She had to literally kick him to get him to move out of her way.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I love these two more than I've loved some ex girlfriends, and they can be nastier than my exes at times. But I just adore them.

Sometimes I think about how empty I would feel if I were to lose them. It's a big fear of mine, because there is absolutely nothing in the way of avian vets in this country. But I give them the best life I can, they're constantly free flight and have all the toys and good food and a shuffled music playlist. They are such a huge part of what brings me happiness and joy. I think I'm going to start collecting their feathers and putting it in a glass jar, just as something to remember them by when they decide it's time to go. It's already a few months away from being 3 years. 3 years since I was handfeeding them every two hours and seeing them sleeping tucked under my ear or on my lap as little tiny babies.

I've got a goal of getting them to Europe or the US and letting them live a life of luxury in a huge aviary. I just have to figure out how I can transport them without them being terrified. Air travel is ruled out as I think it's far too stressful of an experience. Driving might be a possibility. Currently the top of the list is sailing. I'd just sail them along the coast all the way to Europe.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 28, 2023

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I usually collect any "good" feathers my budgies drop. I have a moss ring that I decorate with feathers, it has some from Banane, Mayo, Pesto and Dijon.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Qubee your girls are so bright and happy looking :) I'm imagining budgies sailing to Europe and it's an interesting thought. I wonder if the rocking of the ship on the water would be confusing for them. I've only used it once, but I flew a bird using a pet air service and they were totally fine. A bit spooked afterwards but nothing to worry about, they were back to their usual selves within a day.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Pookah posted:

That enormous front floof and mighty muttonchops absolutely suggest English show budgie.
Is he very mild and extremely stupid, in a charming sort of way? That was my experience of an English show budgie.
Puff Puff was adorable and infuriating in equal measures to his cagemate. She had to literally kick him to get him to move out of her way.

Oh yeah I have no doubt he's English, he's just not exactly big. He's definitely on the mild side, especially compared to his little brother. He loves to just sit on my partners shoulder and lick her face.

Qubee posted:

I love these two more than I've loved some ex girlfriends, and they can be nastier than my exes at times. But I just adore them.

Sometimes I think about how empty I would feel if I were to lose them. It's a big fear of mine, because there is absolutely nothing in the way of avian vets in this country. But I give them the best life I can, they're constantly free flight and have all the toys and good food and a shuffled music playlist. They are such a huge part of what brings me happiness and joy. I think I'm going to start collecting their feathers and putting it in a glass jar, just as something to remember them by when they decide it's time to go. It's already a few months away from being 3 years. 3 years since I was handfeeding them every two hours and seeing them sleeping tucked under my ear or on my lap as little tiny babies.

I've got a goal of getting them to Europe or the US and letting them live a life of luxury in a huge aviary. I just have to figure out how I can transport them without them being terrified. Air travel is ruled out as I think it's far too stressful of an experience. Driving might be a possibility. Currently the top of the list is sailing. I'd just sail them along the coast all the way to Europe.
I've been feeling similar about ours. I've never had birds before but they bring a lot to our space and are really fun. I love their little antics and how they follow us around and their chatter.

We've driven with ours on 8 hours trips a few times and they're okay. Theyve gotten bitchy with each other in the travel cage otherwise its fine. I hope you can find a solution when you move

Qubee
May 31, 2013

bee posted:

I'm imagining budgies sailing to Europe and it's an interesting thought. I wonder if the rocking of the ship on the water would be confusing for them. I've only used it once, but I flew a bird using a pet air service and they were totally fine. A bit spooked afterwards but nothing to worry about, they were back to their usual selves within a day.

When I moved out to my own apartment for the first time, I think the stress affected blue so badly that an illness took hold that she's kind of just dealt with ever since then. My two are so frightful, it's borderline ridiculous and it took green about 3 weeks to adjust to the new space. The process of moving was as calm as I could possibly make it, they were put in their travel cage and driven 20 minutes to the new apartment. I made sure to set up the new apartment with all my stuff before taking the birds, just so there wouldn't be loud noises or a bunch of furniture moving around.

I don't think they'd survive a flight, or I'd be so anxious the entire time worrying airport security would try confiscating them or putting them through an xray machine. I even considered paying for business class for their convenience but I just don't think it would work. I think with a cozy sailing boat and a double-door system (for absolutely zero chance of them escaping outside the boat), they'd be fine. The rocking wouldn't be an issue but I imagine thunderstorms or rough weather could freak them out, but at least I'd be there to help try and calm them down. I also feel like I would be fully in control, if I pulled up to port and the port authority refused me access due to some incorrect paperwork, I could just turn and sail away and not risk them being confiscated until I eventually resolved the issue. Plus sailing and living aboard the boat is one of my dreams.

titty_baby_ posted:

Oh yeah I have no doubt he's English, he's just not exactly big. He's definitely on the mild side, especially compared to his little brother. He loves to just sit on my partners shoulder and lick her face.

I've been feeling similar about ours. I've never had birds before but they bring a lot to our space and are really fun. I love their little antics and how they follow us around and their chatter.

We've driven with ours on 8 hours trips a few times and they're okay. Theyve gotten bitchy with each other in the travel cage otherwise its fine. I hope you can find a solution when you move

I never would have imagined I would enjoy their company this much. When I initially rescued blue, it was out of compassion as I didn't want her to be thrown back into her awful breeding mill. Plus she was just a tiny little thing that sat in my hand and looked up at me so vulnerably. I looked after them out of a sense of responsibility, since living, breathing creatures literally needed me for their survival. But over time, all their little personality traits and quirks just totally hijacked my emotions and now I'm so bonded to them both. I got home two hours ago and I've had blue clambering all over me nonstop since then, and she'll sidle right up to my face for a kiss and bump her head against my nose and hold it there whilst she sleeps. It's freaking adorable. I've been on vacation twice now and not seeing them for extended periods is the weirdest feeling. Getting back to the airbnb after a day of sightseeing or whatever and realising I miss them so much was a strange realization to have on holiday.

I think I'm just naturally a bird person. My mum says my granddad was mad about his chickens. And growing up, we had chickens of our own that we raised from chicks, and I remember how close I was with them. I'd let them sleep under my tshirt or in my room lol. All this to say, birds are amazing, even budgies with their limited capacity to think. Once I'm settled in life and know I won't be making any drastic moves, I plan on getting a cockatiel or two.

Look how freaking tiny she was. How could I turn something this adorable down?

Qubee fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 29, 2023

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I don't think birds will be troubled by a rocking boat. Consider what tree branches do in the wind and when someone else lands on it. (Also, old stories about sea captains keeping parrots for pets.)

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I am recovering after my gallbladder attempted to kill my liver with a blocked bile duct. It was a bit gnarly. I was jaundiced, which is mostly gone but still a little bit in the whites of my eyes, because I guess it takes time to recover from that. I have never been seen so quickly after walking into the emergency room. The gallbladder is still there, but it'll have to come out pretty soon.

Anyway I mention this because in the days before I actually went "okay something is really wrong here I'm going to the hospital" Sera was absolutely inconsolable and kept camping out and yelling at me. For hours. Hours. Really upset, could not be comforted. And that stopped very quickly after they unclogged my bile duct.

Coincidence, or did he know? Bird vision being what it is, I'd believe he could see me turning yellow before I could. Of course, he is a small bird who did not know what to do with this information so he just yelled at me about it.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

nielsm posted:

I don't think birds will be troubled by a rocking boat. Consider what tree branches do in the wind and when someone else lands on it. (Also, old stories about sea captains keeping parrots for pets.)

Excellent point, I'd never even considered that!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

RoboRodent posted:

I am recovering after my gallbladder attempted to kill my liver with a blocked bile duct. It was a bit gnarly. I was jaundiced, which is mostly gone but still a little bit in the whites of my eyes, because I guess it takes time to recover from that. I have never been seen so quickly after walking into the emergency room. The gallbladder is still there, but it'll have to come out pretty soon.

Anyway I mention this because in the days before I actually went "okay something is really wrong here I'm going to the hospital" Sera was absolutely inconsolable and kept camping out and yelling at me. For hours. Hours. Really upset, could not be comforted. And that stopped very quickly after they unclogged my bile duct.

Coincidence, or did he know? Bird vision being what it is, I'd believe he could see me turning yellow before I could. Of course, he is a small bird who did not know what to do with this information so he just yelled at me about it.

Birds definitely have a broader light-field of vision, but also don't discount their ability to smell. I'm not sure about our individual parrots but I know a few birds have a pretty keen sense. Between your changing color and other liver symptoms, I'm sure you gave off a sicky look and odor and Sera was trying desperately to tell you about it.

They're flock animals! While there's an advantage in hiding your weakness in the wild there's also an advantage in telling your flockmates when something is up, particularly danger.

Anyway, hope you recover quickly, and sorry about the gallbladder. Do you have an appointment to take it out or is it a go by ear thing?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I have a follow up appointment on Thursday with the surgeon, so we'll see how ready he thinks I am for surgery, I guess.

No one's really done research into parrot sense of smell, and I am very irritated about this.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Hope you are on the mend soon Robo. Good thing Sera is there looking out for you :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

RoboRodent posted:

I have a follow up appointment on Thursday with the surgeon, so we'll see how ready he thinks I am for surgery, I guess.

No one's really done research into parrot sense of smell, and I am very irritated about this.

Warning - This story about gallbladders is a little scary. But I tell it from a place of concern, because a lot of people don't understand how badly a gallbladder can mess you up.

I know this almost certainly does not need to be said, but take care of yourself. When I spent three weeks in the intensive care unit, it started with a gall bladder. I went into the hospital on a Friday and they found out I had gallstones clogging my gallbladder. Because it wasn't an "emergency" they thought I could wait for the surgeons to come back on Monday. By Sunday night, I'd turned septic and the surgery turned into an emergency. One laparotomy, three surgeons, and 42 staples later, I was in the ICU and septic. This left me with acute chronic pancreatitis with necrosis, which bother me daily.

Not to mention being handed a bill for $159k on the way out, which bankrupted me. To add insult to injury, to lawyers for that cost a lot.

It was likely malpractice. But suing a hospital after something like that happens without any money is hard.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Warning - This story about gallbladders is a little scary. But I tell it from a place of concern, because a lot of people don't understand how badly a gallbladder can mess you up.

I know this almost certainly does not need to be said, but take care of yourself. When I spent three weeks in the intensive care unit, it started with a gall bladder. I went into the hospital on a Friday and they found out I had gallstones clogging my gallbladder. Because it wasn't an "emergency" they thought I could wait for the surgeons to come back on Monday. By Sunday night, I'd turned septic and the surgery turned into an emergency. One laparotomy, three surgeons, and 42 staples later, I was in the ICU and septic. This left me with acute chronic pancreatitis with necrosis, which bother me daily.

Not to mention being handed a bill for $159k on the way out, which bankrupted me. To add insult to injury, to lawyers for that cost a lot.

It was likely malpractice. But suing a hospital after something like that happens without any money is hard.

We'll kill you AND rob you in the process! Don't you love America?

Seriously I'm so sorry this happened, and I'm glad you're still around. I wish there was something better than that to offer you to, yknow, have you not have acute chronic pancreatitis. At least you have sweet birdy birds to help comfort you.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Fortunately, I'm Canadian, so the money isn't an issue. I would be much, much more disabled than I am if I'd had to pay for that back surgery I had last August.

I did have an emergency endoscopy and a stent installed to keep the duct open, so that bile is at least not backing up into my liver and causing problems there. I'm actually not too worried about the gallbladder surgery itself. Gallbladder issues run in my family, so I'm not the first one to have to have it out.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Chaosfeather posted:

We'll kill you AND rob you in the process! Don't you love America?

Seriously I'm so sorry this happened, and I'm glad you're still around. I wish there was something better than that to offer you to, yknow, have you not have acute chronic pancreatitis. At least you have sweet birdy birds to help comfort you.

This managed to cover up my motor neuron disease diagnosis, too. But it is literally what made me move from Tennessee to Oregon, where there is a public safety net. Health care in Oregon discovered motor neuron disease, along with a SHITLOAD of blood clots left over from the laparotomy. They were absolutely dumbfounded they hadn't killed me, and put me on those blood thinners you've gotta inject into your gut.

Guess what? In Oregon, the Oregon Health Plan covered me. I paid nothing. Because Oregon, while deeply flawed, gives a poo poo.

Bonus Picture of myself about a week after my "gallbladder" surgery.

Could you believe I was working twelve hour shifts in a kitchen exactly two weeks after I got out of the hospital?! You can see the box for the work shoes I needed in the picture, as I think I was working three days after this picture. AMERICA!!!

[

RoboRodent posted:

Fortunately, I'm Canadian, so the money isn't an issue. I would be much, much more disabled than I am if I'd had to pay for that back surgery I had last August.

I did have an emergency endoscopy and a stent installed to keep the duct open, so that bile is at least not backing up into my liver and causing problems there. I'm actually not too worried about the gallbladder surgery itself. Gallbladder issues run in my family, so I'm not the first one to have to have it out.

I'd say this - If it's giving you issues, get that hosed yanked out before in breaks something important. Like your pancreas. :derptiel:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Captain Log posted:

I'd say this - If it's giving you issues, get that hosed yanked out before in breaks something important. Like your pancreas. :derptiel:

Oh, the surgeon who did my scope was very clear that it did have to come out, even if not that day. We'll figure out the plan pretty soon, though.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Anyway I didn't actually mean to make this thread be about my dumb health issues. Here, have Ozzy very alarmed about meeting the ghost of his husband.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

RoboRodent posted:

Anyway I didn't actually mean to make this thread be about my dumb health issues. Here, have Ozzy very alarmed about meeting the ghost of his husband.

Oh, don't apologize. I've just got a policy about shouting my experience from the rooftops. Too many people have no idea poo poo like that can happen, both medically and financially.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
trick or tweet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh goodness. Plant, I am so sorry again for your home's loss... I hope you and Dijon are still taking care of each other. I don't want to unearth pain again if healthy things are growing so I will stay brief but it could not go without being said again here. You and Pesto loved each other so much, and so well. He will always be with you. RoboRodent -- I am so glad you are okay, that is so frightening. Sera knew, I believe you completely. I will be thinking of you this week :shobon: Good news on Thursday, in whatever shape that takes :love:

Captain... :sympathy: you're a warrior.

RoboRodent posted:

people discussed it with you because we care about you. :shobon: Also :ghost: :derptiel: :allears: I love them

mediaphage posted:

trick or tweet!

oh my Lord :lovebird: