Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The other guy lost his balance and his skate flew up as he went down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Now that someone's finally been killed by a skate, now they'll finally start bringing in neck guards. Great job, hockey!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The idiot players will vote against it.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
When I played hockey neck guards were mandatory for everyone.. I started out as a goalie and goaltenders actually have heavier duty versions of them that I continued to wear even after I started playing defense because I was terrified of taking a skate to the throat.. the player ones are just these little neck bands that look like there's hardly anything to them, the goalie ones actually look like protective equipment and cover much more of your neck and upper chest area.

It was like that all the way up to the league for 15-17 year old kids, I'm not sure when you can choose to stop wearing one.

Too bad for Adam Johnson and his family and everyone who had to witness that. Horrible.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 29, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apparently it was a special Halloween family night too which is just awful.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
turns out the devils are just edmonton. except younger and cuter

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dylan Strome = Good hockey player

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Strome's on pace for 60 goals, 0 assists.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Why did Chicago not qualify him again?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think they assumed he was basically being carried by Kane/Debrincat and he wasn't worth it. Seems kind of wild in retrospect. He's 26 and would have totally fit with the Bedard rebuild.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Coyotes gave up D. Strome and Brendan Perlini for Nick Schmaltz who is quietly a solid top-6 winger in his own right. So it wasn't a terrible deal on their end, but, man, Barrett Hayton is not an actual 1C.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

At this point they should be doing everything they can to get Celebrini. Which the way things are going just means stay the course, no changes! They're going to give the Sharks a top 3 pick next year, that's inevitable now, so they might as well get all the way in the tank now.

There is no possible way of doing that without trading Crosby and Malkin. You're a fringe playoff team that's had a bad start, not a dumpster fire. The top six will drag you to 80+ points.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I did not think the caps were gonna win that game but lmao sharks

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Kind of lost in of this I would like to take an extremely hearty lol at Edmonton who are worse the Pens with none of the success and off to an even worse start.

Most of the Oilers fancies are fine so I'm not too concerned at least in terms of playoffs.

yet

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

There is no possible way of doing that without trading Crosby and Malkin. You're a fringe playoff team that's had a bad start, not a dumpster fire. The top six will drag you to 80+ points.

It would be a nice thing to believe, but it isn't true. The top six isn't actually that great anymore--good, not great. The top six generates plenty of offense, but defense is a serious problem for them. Plus they're older than dirt. There are going to be injuries. The defensemen are bad. Letang is washed up. The bottom six is execrable. The goaltender position is a disaster. They're not as bad as San Jose or Chicago, but they are genuinely bad. The top-ten protection on the pick they sent for Karlsson is going to be invoked.

I do expect them to go on a random 13-2 run somewhere in midseason like they always do. But they're still going to finish around 6th-9th from the bottom.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Good soup! posted:

I did not think the caps were gonna win that game but lmao sharks

Sharks on pace for 82 goals in 82 games

9gf 35ga is that good

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think they assumed he was basically being carried by Kane/Debrincat and he wasn't worth it. Seems kind of wild in retrospect. He's 26 and would have totally fit with the Bedard rebuild.

Yeah obviously DeBrincat is great but it's funny how much credit was given to Kane and how little was given to Strome. Glad Washington took a flyer on Strome because without him their center depth is the worst in the league.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It should have been obvious that Kane was the one being carried there.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah I can't say I watched him much in Chicago but the analytics were pretty clear on Strome being a strong player and Kane struggling.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Starsfan posted:

When I played hockey neck guards were mandatory for everyone.. I started out as a goalie and goaltenders actually have heavier duty versions of them that I continued to wear even after I started playing defense because I was terrified of taking a skate to the throat.. the player ones are just these little neck bands that look like there's hardly anything to them, the goalie ones actually look like protective equipment and cover much more of your neck and upper chest area.

It was like that all the way up to the league for 15-17 year old kids, I'm not sure when you can choose to stop wearing one.

Too bad for Adam Johnson and his family and everyone who had to witness that. Horrible.

Do the goalie ones actually do anything? They just look like a piece of cheap, swingy plastic that a puck would go right through

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Do the goalie ones actually do anything? They just look like a piece of cheap, swingy plastic that a puck would go right through

They're tough enough that they won't easily crack when hit by a puck.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Sharks on pace for 82 goals in 82 games

9gf 35ga is that good

For an AHL team being asked to play NHL competition they're doing alright.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Good thing Calgary has their first this year. Fire the coach again. Also half the team while we’re at it. Just swap the Wranglers with the Flames. Couldn’t get any worse.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

oh no you're talking about that plastic shield thing that people attach to their helmets if they are rocking the Dominik Hasek look... i did have one of those lol. Yeah like the helmets themselves those things work cause they are curved and the puck will deflect off of them, although if that happens it usually ends up pushing the plastic shield thing back up into your face. I didn't continue to wear that when I graduated to playing on the blueline...

the neck guard is something else that you wear underneath your uniform, it basically covers all the area around your neck that isn't covered by the chest protector or the helmet

here we go, a handy 4 minute long youtube video showing both of them off https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=QX_6yudowQw

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 30, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Starsfan posted:

oh no you're talking about that plastic shield thing that people attach to their helmets if they are rocking the Dominik Hasek look... i did have one of those lol. Yeah like the helmets themselves those things work cause they are curved and the puck will deflect off of them, although if that happens it usually ends up pushing the plastic shield thing back up into your face. I didn't continue to wear that when I graduated to playing on the blueline...

the neck guard is something else that you wear underneath your uniform, it basically covers all the area around your neck that isn't covered by the chest protector or the helmet

here we go, a handy 4 minute long youtube video showing both of them off https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=QX_6yudowQw

Now that I get a good look at the dangler, its a bit thicker than I've always assumed, so that's good.

Put everyone in kevlar turtlenecks

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

Good thing Calgary has their first this year.

HEY WOULD YOU LIKE MONAHAN BACK?!?!?!

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Aphrodite posted:

Apparently it was a special Halloween family night too which is just awful.

loving gently caress. Everyone that saw this needs go get into therapy.

I don't know why this would be a bad idea. Let them bitch that it is uncomfortable/hinders movement. Yeah, guess what? I bet shoulder pads are uncomfortable and you could prob skate a bit faster if you didn't wear those pants. But you do because it is a piece of safety equipment. I remember when players didn't wear helmets, a few stupid holdouts from a bygone era. This is the same poo poo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nonsense. Kane’s one of the top 100 nhl players ever, remember.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Plekanec just announced his retirement.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/sportsnet/status/1718698576765677933?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

This was a garbage hit by Okposo yesterday

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Those neck guards seem like real no-brainers so like 4 guys in the NHL will wear one and they will mandate them (with grandfather clause) by oh let’s say 2040

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
A Caps win without an Ovi dinger is basically a loss I think.

YouTube TV has this feature where you can "get caught up on key plays" if you tune into a game late. I flipped on the Caps around the end of the second and it was seriously the most godawful highlight reel I've seen in a long time. Like they were including easily handled point shots because I guess there wasn't a ton else.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
That's the AI at work!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

This wasn’t even a hit lol Okposo barely touched him. He ended up coming back out for the third period so it ended up being nothing at all!

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
keep your head up kid

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
"Hit" is a pretty strong word for that play. lol

Slight bump from behind while attempting a stick lift would be more accurate. Makar even admits the play was mostly on him and he was fine.

https://x.com/engelheather/status/1718740191802765468?s=20

https://x.com/LLysowski/status/1718719622419984744?s=20

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

WeaponX posted:

Those neck guards seem like real no-brainers so like 4 guys in the NHL will wear one and they will mandate them (with grandfather clause) by oh let’s say 2040

They've historically been super uncomfortable to wear which is why I never wore them even though they're obviously a good idea. I saw that Oshie had his company made some with better ergonomics, but I'm sure it still kinda sucks because apparently nobody uses them including Oshie.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The best part of that Okposo/Makar thing is that MacKinnon got 2 minutes plus a 10 minute misconduct for yelling at the refs for not penalizing Okposo lol

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

glynnenstein posted:

They've historically been super uncomfortable to wear which is why I never wore them even though they're obviously a good idea. I saw that Oshie had his company made some with better ergonomics, but I'm sure it still kinda sucks because apparently nobody uses them including Oshie.

It doesn't surprise me that NHL players don't wear those neckguards and probably won't adopt them in meaningful numbers either. It is loving HOT on the ice at a NHL arena. I had the opportunity in high school to play a game at the Verizon Center after a Caps game and the thing I remember most is how absolutely miserable it was out there. The stadiums are meant to be as comfortable as possible for fans and on the ice it felt like it was 70 degrees. I don't think it was actually that hot, but it was significantly nastier and muggier than your average rink, and everyone was absolutely drenched with sweat by the end of the game. And we weren't working nearly as hard or at the pace a NHL player does. I cannot imagine wearing a turtle neck on top of all the other equipment, purely from a comfort standpoint. People should definitely be wearing them though, especially at youth levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Starsfan posted:

You can actually get a skater equivalent of the goalie neck guard, I think it’s just called a bibbed neck guard, it goes down over your clavicle for protection too similar to a goalie one. Most skaters have the collar version or the ones built into the base layer shirt.