Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I am be-cum, the little death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oh yeah, Nolan has most likely hosed in his life, he just writes exactly like someone who is entirely removed from sex to such an incredible degree it's unbelievable that even his parents ever hosed.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

:perfect:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Isn't Nolan English? That would explain it

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Nolan is British American.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There are plenty of Brits with normal attitudes towards sex, as well as ones who are entirely too horny. Benny Hill was British.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

There are plenty of Brits with normal attitudes towards sex, as well as ones who are entirely too horny. Benny Hill was British.

Yakety sax would have greatly improved that sex scene

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Watched When Evil Lurks thanks to this thread

I haven’t seen a horror protagonist as stupid as Pedro in a long time

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Steve Yun posted:

Watched When Evil Lurks thanks to this thread

I haven’t seen a horror protagonist as stupid as Pedro in a long time

I agree he really did gently caress everything up.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It shares a lot of dna with 28 Weeks Later, where people do the thing that they want, instead of the thing that is best for everyone, and it spreads the plague.

Also there’s a lot in this movie about men not listening to women

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Consistently over and over til the point where you think maybe he was the vehicle for the corruption to spread. Kept doing irrational stupid poo poo because he got the corruption goop on him early.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nice, they hinted at less obvious evil influence but I didn’t connect those dots

I guess it makes sense that Evil Kid anoints his forehead at the end, like “thanks a lot, sucker”

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

When Evil Lurks is a lot less, well, terrifying than Terrified, and I think that's a good thing? It traffics in dread at what is coming to an honestly unsettling degree, seeing the argument at his ex-wife's house left me :staredog: the whole time until you know when.

What I find interesting is that at first, Pedro does not transgress - he does everything you always yell at the characters to do: call the cops, grab everyone and leave town, gently caress all this. But eventually he can't help himself and continually makes worse and worse decisions, to the point that he dooms the world with an unleashed demon. And I just think that's neat!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

My impression was that the scene at the end with the little kid from the rotten's house was supposed to let us in on that immediate contact with the rotten instantly marks you. You carry the mark with you and it radiates out from you to the people around you, which is why the more they ran from it, the more they just spread it around. It's literally a virus, and so all the dumb poo poo that the main characters do is because they're asymptomatic carriers. The father taking off his clothes and burning them didn't matter; he had already metaphorically breathed the evil in.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

e: spoilering this

And the dog got it from just sniffing the clothes, right? The clothes he’d worn for hours?

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 30, 2023

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

That's my thought -- just breathing evil in is enough to let it start to sink in. And like with the main characters, he doesn't instantly go stupid or wild, it takes a little time to incubate before the full effects start to show up.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

My impression was that the scene at the end with the little kid from the rotten's house was supposed to let us in on that immediate contact with the rotten instantly marks you. You carry the mark with you and it radiates out from you to the people around you, which is why the more they ran from it, the more they just spread it around. It's literally a virus, and so all the dumb poo poo that the main characters do is because they're asymptomatic carriers. The father taking off his clothes and burning them didn't matter; he had already metaphorically breathed the evil in.

Which is why I think the whole thing is a covid allegory or just plague in general. Everyone knows how to solve it but everyone makes stupid selfish decisions which implodes society as a whole. Uriel is an unreported initial infection being hidden by a sympathetic family, Ruiz is a business owner trying to protect his money over public health, Pedro is a super spreader, Sabrina is denial from the public when warned, and Mirta is the doctor that suffers from everyone being stupid. Or it's just demons I dunno

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Doltos posted:

Which is why I think the whole thing is a covid allegory or just plague in general. Everyone knows how to solve it but everyone makes stupid selfish decisions which implodes society as a whole. Uriel is an unreported initial infection being hidden by a sympathetic family, Ruiz is a business owner trying to protect his money over public health, Pedro is a super spreader, Sabrina is denial from the public when warned, and Mirta is the doctor that suffers from everyone being stupid. Or it's just demons I dunno

stuff can be two things!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just watched Evil Dead 2013 for the first time and holy gently caress that movie was bananas. I’m real psyched for Fede Alvarez’s Alien movie now.

This was one hell of a good blind buy during Shout Factory’s shocktober sale.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Just watched House (the 1986 one) for the first time and had a great time, I didn't expect a suburban Evil Dead 2 (albeit way less bloody)

Are any of the sequels worth checking out?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Just watched House (the 1986 one) for the first time and had a great time, I didn't expect a suburban Evil Dead 2 (albeit way less bloody)

House 2 is a wild ride and enjoyable.

TeamJesus
Sep 21, 2006

He died for your sins...
Now he's back for your
BRAINS!

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The sequel is titled House II: The Second Story.

If that alone doesn't sell you on watching it, you need some joy in your life.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

I just watched Evil Dead 2013 for the first time and holy gently caress that movie was bananas. I’m real psyched for Fede Alvarez’s Alien movie now.
The one knock I have on Fede Alvarez's movies is that he is like a late-stage WCW booker in how much he loves his false-finishes and 2 counts. Don't Breathe was the same way, just like four different endings all in a row.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

The one knock I have on Fede Alvarez's movies is that he is like a late-stage WCW booker in how much he loves his false-finishes and 2 counts. Don't Breathe was the same way, just like four different endings all in a row.

You just mad 'cause you got fuckin' swerved, bro.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

TeamJesus posted:

The sequel is titled House II: The Second Story.

If that alone doesn't sell you on watching it, you need some joy in your life.

:yeah:

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

House II isn’t really a horror movie. It’s a straight up kids time travel adventure movie that happens to feature a good guy cowboy zombie

e: this is not to discourage anyone from watching it, it’s fun

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

This just keeps sounding better??

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

When Evil Lurks was kinda mid. Like when everyone hyped up Martyrs being this brutal watch but then it’s totally fine and just boring. At least WEL wasn’t boring but it was frustrating. Good imagery.

Five nights at Freddy’s was totally watchable but pedestrian.

Hell House LLC: Charmichael Manor was REAL GOOD. Like the best of the series. They finally ironed out all the weird tension issues they had with 2/3, dumped a bunch of lore at the garbage dump and make the scares even more effective than the best ones in 1.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7295103213840256298

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Doltos posted:

According to the director it's at least partly about toxins and pesticides being forced onto unwitting populations by corporate greed, both as allegory and in a literal sense. There may be some covid stuff in there too - I thought that when I first saw it but covid is also so broad and pervasive that you can read so many movies as being a covid allegory.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

flashy_mcflash posted:

According to the director it's at least partly about toxins and pesticides being forced onto unwitting populations by corporate greed, both as allegory and in a literal sense. There may be some covid stuff in there too - I thought that when I first saw it but covid is also so broad and pervasive that you can read so many movies as being a covid allegory.

That's why I don't try to interpret things and just let the death of the author soothe me

dorium posted:

Hell House LLC: Charmichael Manor was REAL GOOD. Like the best of the series. They finally ironed out all the weird tension issues they had with 2/3, dumped a bunch of lore at the garbage dump and make the scares even more effective than the best ones in 1.

It's actually really great I was surprised. Definitely the best of the series even though the bar isn't that high. Margot is an insane piece of poo poo to her girlfriend. I'd be so pissed off if I was Rebecca with how many steps she took to get them both hosed over.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

one ep away from the end of Fall of the House of Usher. it's been... okay.

feels like the season is trying to hit too many notes simultaneously: black comedy, rich kid prestige drama, satirical retelling of Poe, horror show. while this is fun from scene to scene, it doesn't solidify into something emotionally resonant to me. to call it "perfectly adequate content" sounds too dismissive, but that's the phrase that comes to mind.

a lot of it is great silly fun though: mark hamil playing a heavy! carl lumbly and bruce greenwood chattin! acid orgy multi-melt! chimp attack! time-travelling carla g!

and, really, all the plodding Flanagan series' have been worth it for Henry Thomas as Freddie. eldest son, ponytail haircut, bowling alley in living room, an absolute Little Lord Fuckpants type of weasel. terrific.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Regarding When Evil Lurks, Jimi (the brother) takes a bullet from the blanket the rotten was carried away on. I'm pretty sure this bullet is kept with him until late in the movie - we see it again at some stage.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

one ep away from the end of Fall of the House of Usher. it's been... okay.

feels like the season is trying to hit too many notes simultaneously: black comedy, rich kid prestige drama, satirical retelling of Poe, horror show. while this is fun from scene to scene, it doesn't solidify into something emotionally resonant to me. to call it "perfectly adequate content" sounds too dismissive, but that's the phrase that comes to mind.

a lot of it is great silly fun though: mark hamil playing a heavy! carl lumbly and bruce greenwood chattin! acid orgy multi-melt! chimp attack! time-travelling carla g!

and, really, all the plodding Flanagan series' have been worth it for Henry Thomas as Freddie. eldest son, ponytail haircut, bowling alley in living room, an absolute Little Lord Fuckpants type of weasel. terrific.

If I had one big complaint it's that the mid episodes don't really build up their kids as big pieces of poo poo. It did a nice job of building fun hateable characters in a tight timeline when it did and Prospero, Camille and Freddie's deaths rule. I know the doctor was kind of intentional, but The Black Cat episode and Goldbug just don't have much weight to them.

Also still can't decide if I liked how heavy handed the Poe references were. It kind of went back and forth from fun to groaning.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I think Usher is kind of divisive in the sense that it hits people different ways.

People like me who loved Hill House and Midnight Mass, who loved the total Flanagan-ness of both of those, and didn’t like Usher so much for its lack of that

and

others who didn’t like those two things so much but like Usher for its non Flanagan-ness.

If that makes any sense.

I think I posted on release day that I wasn’t too taken with it, but enough people have talked about it in here that I want to give it another chance now.

The Poe influences and references did get kind of groan-worthy to me, because I knew what they all were and where they were going. Although the modern take on them was good.

I guess I was hoping for another Hill House/Midnight Mass, and it wasn’t that. But I’m definitely going to rewatch it. Maybe on Halloween night.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mover posted:

House II isn’t really a horror movie. It’s a straight up kids time travel adventure movie that happens to feature a good guy cowboy zombie

e: this is not to discourage anyone from watching it, it’s fun

FRIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE

I love that stupid tag line so much

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

M_Sinistrari posted:

Yes, and I liked it.

It's incredible.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MrMojok posted:

I think Usher is kind of divisive in the sense that it hits people different ways.

People like me who loved Hill House and Midnight Mass, who loved the total Flanagan-ness of both of those, and didn’t like Usher so much for its lack of that

and

others who didn’t like those two things so much but like Usher for its non Flanagan-ness.

If that makes any sense.

I think I posted on release day that I wasn’t too taken with it, but enough people have talked about it in here that I want to give it another chance now.

The Poe influences and references did get kind of groan-worthy to me, because I knew what they all were and where they were going. Although the modern take on them was good.

I guess I was hoping for another Hill House/Midnight Mass, and it wasn’t that. But I’m definitely going to rewatch it. Maybe on Halloween night.

I've been following Flanagan since Abesentia and he really comes in two forms which both seem to need an editor. Gerald's Game/Occulus/Hush/Ouija/Before I Wake are all tidy little movies that are well acted and well directed. Absentia/Hill House/Midnight Mass/Doctor Sleep/Midnight Club/Bly Manor are all the ones where he seems to go all out without anyone in there to reel him in. Those are the hit or miss ones to me. Midnight Mass was insanely boring to me but Hill House was extremely good even though they're both similarly paced. I think it's a preference thing when it comes to Mike Flanagan going hardcore into his "I got something to say" bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I still have a couple episodes to go on Usher but it definitely hasn't come anywhere near topping the acid orgy episode, which is still one of my favorite recent horror scenes. The build-up in that one was a lot of fun, particularly since it's telegraphed so early so it's just fun to see them go where you're hoping they take it. The other episodes haven't been anywhere near as grotesque, which is a shame.