Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Begemot posted:

They mention in the official translation that "the reality of this atrocity will be erased from history". That along with the fact that there have been no survivors in the past makes it seem like they just annihilate the island with IMs power every time. Which is also why they're only saved by Kuma's power, the only way to survive is to get far away, quickly.

I thought the sky nuke thing was something they were only able to start doing very recently (like just after the last Reverie recently) - its why they decided to spare York in the end, since they needed at least one Vegapunk alive to reproduce whatever they needed to get the Mother Frame/Flame working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Oda introduced Sugars fruit For A Reason!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

100k also makes Kuma feel a lot worse comparatively

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Kuma picked up the Paw-Paw fruit real quick. Pushing out pain seems like the sort of thing that would take years to figure out.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Begemot posted:

They mention in the official translation that "the reality of this atrocity will be erased from history". That along with the fact that there have been no survivors in the past makes it seem like they just annihilate the island with IMs power every time. Which is also why they're only saved by Kuma's power, the only way to survive is to get far away, quickly.

Actually annihilating an island seems to have only happened 3 times in the story, other than whatever crazy poo poo they were doing with super weapons in the void century. Ohara, the one Enel destroyed, and the one Im destroyed.

The triennial hunt seems to involve non-WG affiliated islands which then become part of the WG. Or if they are part of the WG they probably just tell everyone else that there was a rebellion, or pirates, or a natural disaster, or whatever.

I guess Eines Lobby also got destroyed.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ThingOne posted:

Kuma picked up the Paw-Paw fruit real quick. Pushing out pain seems like the sort of thing that would take years to figure out.

i bet devil fruits are easier to learn the more in tune with them you are. so like, if kuma wanted to get rid of pain and save people, his intuition would work naturally with his fruit. this is probably why kaku in spite of not really knowing what he was doing, learned how to use his fruit effectively the first time he used it in a fight. sabo learned the fire fruit in like an instant, probably because, yknow, kinship with ace.

which would make it pretty funny that luffy sucked with his fruit.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I imagine there plenty of people that were hurt once they landed and sweet boy that he was did his best to help and it happened accidentally

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, the "erased from history" probably just means purging records, using the media for fake news, and a lot of "mysterious catastrophes". Combined with the fact contact between islands not being the best and they can get away with that easily.

Or one of the Gorosei is a demon/fruit user with a history erasing power. Not likely since people have memories of the event but who knows.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
The fact that with the arrest of Sugar the World Government literally has the power to erase memories in their hands could be a plot point later on

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Begemot posted:

Imu doesnt have that power. The power used to annihilate Lulosia was the mother flame that vegapunk developed. They want the resources on this island so they'll probably just keep it or farm it or something.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What up with Enies Lobby then? What did that?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What up with Enies Lobby then? What did that?

We don't know, but if I had to guess, probably the void century equivalent to Vegapunk's Mother Flame. I doubt he built that superweapon without inspiration from something lost to time, and Enies Lobby's void could only be made by a similar weapon.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

gnome7 posted:

We don't know, but if I had to guess, probably the void century equivalent to Vegapunk's Mother Flame. I doubt he built that superweapon without inspiration from something lost to time, and Enies Lobby's void could only be made by a similar weapon.

I suspect the Mother Flame is just the power source, not the actual weapon.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

I suspect the Mother Flame is just the power source, not the actual weapon.

This was my read as well. Imu needs the power source. The island is also powered by a mysterious source that Vegapunk described as fire/flame.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Didn't know where else to put this, but my GF and I made One Piece Cosplays for a local convention and then for Halloween. Sorry for the potato quality of some them, but here's us as Zoro/Katakuri and Monet respectively.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

What would Luffy do if the main villain was a swordsman ⚔️ ?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

punch him

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Didn't know where else to put this, but my GF and I made One Piece Cosplays for a local convention and then for Halloween. Sorry for the potato quality of some them, but here's us as Zoro/Katakuri and Monet respectively.

Awesome job to you both! Love the giant inflatable donut. Now you just have to be inexplicably 16ft tall.

That Mihawk is incredibly rad.

On a side note your gf's tattoo is cool as hell.

Lpzie posted:

Break the swords by punching, or turn them into noodles via cartoon logic.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Lpzie posted:

Before Gear 5th, let Zoro fight him.

Now that Gear 5th is a thing? Grab his sword like it's an inflatable clown balloon and twist it into something like a dog. Then laugh.

Crazyeyes posted:

Awesome job to you both! Love the giant inflatable donut. Now you just have to be inexplicably 16ft tall.

That Mihawk is incredibly rad.

On a side note your gf's tattoo is cool as hell.

Thanks! The Katakuri is older, but it's one of my favorites to wear. I'm really glad it's still wearable 4 years after I put it together. It's hard to stay in One Piece shape now that I'm 38.

And my GF will love that compliment, her tattoos she always designs herself.

Yeah that Mihawk is cool as hell. I was hoping to have my own Mihawk done by Halloween, but it'll have to wait until November as making the jacket right just took too long.

Rich Uncle Chet fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 30, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lpzie posted:

Shanks is the main villain?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Shanks is the main villain?

Only a matter of time, but that will be more of a haki-battle.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Crazyeyes posted:

Only a matter of time, but that will be more of a haki-battle.

Shanks is a Haki Man!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

Shanks is a Haki Man!

I'm looking at it as Shanks representing the "will" of Roger, and as such when Luffy overcomes him, he will be symbolically surpassing the previous king and maybe Shanks will swear fealty to him or something idk.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

Shanks is a Haki Man!

The Haki Man does exist and his name is Vergo

Shanks is probably one too

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

He's not half the man he used to be.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

He's not half the man he used to be.

Perhaps Shanks could give him a hand.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Been catching up on the anime with my friends. One of them said Weevil looks more like Queen than Whitebeard. Queen was in MADS with Stussy, wasn't he?

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Maybe Im has the History History Fruit?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

lowercase16 posted:

Been catching up on the anime with my friends. One of them said Weevil looks more like Queen than Whitebeard. Queen was in MADS with Stussy, wasn't he?

Son of Queen and Whitebeard, it makes sense.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Latest SBS is out, not too much there but Oda did draw how Vegapunk washed his big head

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Latest SBS is out, not too much there but Oda did draw how Vegapunk washed his big head

He also revealed Bonnie's fruit name, Toshi Toshi no Mi, Age-Age Fruit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ManSedan posted:

Maybe Im has the History History Fruit?

The Devil-Devil Fruit

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the cover is rly cool

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Shanks is probably one too

Imu isn't hidden by shadows he too is a Haki Man

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nami with Whip
Nami with Gun
Nami with Sunglasses

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sega Dreamcast posted:

Nami with Whip
Nami with Gun
Nami with Sunglasses

old luffy
luffy with pink hair
blond luffy
luffy

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its genuinely funny how koby looks more and more like luffy as the series goes on

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

garp
not garp
not garp
not garp
not garp
not garp
and
bird garp

Infinitum