Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
No one makes this comparison because it's not flattering but Flanagan is VERY much like Ryan Murphy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
The Freddie episode really hosed me up when little kid Freddie appears, is so excited to see his daddy, then falls apart in his arms That hit like a truck compared to episode 2.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I’m just gonna say it. Robert Quarry as Count Yorga is a better Dracula than Christopher Lee as Dracula.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Doltos posted:

Midnight Mass was insanely boring to me but Hill House was extremely good even though they're both similarly paced.

That's really interesting, because to me they're basically polar opposites:

- Hill House, a show that's frontloaded with memorable ghost stories and scares, but which doesn't have a good narrative way to effectively tie all of those together to provide an effective threat or final confrontation, so it completely loses its momentum and its direction towards the end.

- Midnight Mass, a show that has a great final monster and a great central turn for Hamish Linklater, but which doesn't want to give the game away too quickly, so instead it mills about for too long doing setup work and character drama with a bunch of sub-Stephen King townies, and strains the audience's patience in the process.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I was pleasantly surprised by Five Nights At Freddie’s, not sure why it’s bombing on critics side. I love Emma Tammi’s work and was really glad she was chosen for it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

No one makes this comparison because it's not flattering but Flanagan is VERY much like Ryan Murphy.

he wishes lol

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I was pleasantly surprised by Five Nights At Freddie’s, not sure why it’s bombing on critics side. I love Emma Tammi’s work and was really glad she was chosen for it.

If I hadnt already played the games I would've been completely lost on what was going on.

Also its heartening that one of the biggest childrens franchises is based on a child murderer. My 5 year old niece is aware and knows the Freddy characters and this is what the franchise is. I'm all about it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People like stories with Freddie’s about child murder

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Art's, Freddie's and Michael's are popular child murderers.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Absolutely, except it's not flattering to Ryan Murphy

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Grendels Dad posted:

Speaking of, Deadstream was a lot of fun. Having some familiarity with Youtubers from my sons, that was exactly the kind of person I wanted to see suffer, and was suspicious of for much of the runtime even after he ate a bunch of poo poo.

Deadstream is so much fun! Should be way more popular.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

dorium posted:

Hell House LLC: Charmichael Manor was REAL GOOD. Like the best of the series. They finally ironed out all the weird tension issues they had with 2/3, dumped a bunch of lore at the garbage dump and make the scares even more effective than the best ones in 1.

God damnit this is gonna make me sign up for Shudder at the 11th hour isn’t it, hell House LLC was good poo poo.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

I just watched Rock'n Roll Nightmare by a Canadian body builder/hair metal enthusiast, and it was a complete blast. Stupid as gently caress and with atrocious padding, but extremely good-natured.

Now check out the rest of the subgenre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfj2sy3oQAk

I'm not one to recommend film YouTube essays because they're mostly garbo and obnoxious, but this channel is a ton of fun. Was going to post this the other day but the video was taken down temporarily.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I also forgot to mention I was shocked at darkness of FNAF like I thought it’d be toned down as a lot of kids play fnaf

Decapitations, kidnapping plot etc

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

dorium posted:

Hell House LLC: Charmichael Manor was REAL GOOD. Like the best of the series. They finally ironed out all the weird tension issues they had with 2/3, dumped a bunch of lore at the garbage dump and make the scares even more effective than the best ones in 1.

Where's this?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MacheteZombie posted:

Where's this?

Shudder, I believe.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I also forgot to mention I was shocked at darkness of FNAF like I thought it’d be toned down as a lot of kids play fnaf

Decapitations, kidnapping plot etc

Nice. Kid movies got soft after the late 80’s.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm watching Scream, Blacula, Scream, and William Marshall is so goddamn charismatic. That voice.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MacheteZombie posted:

Where's this?

Yep out on Shudder. Easily the best one now in my ranking. 4 > 1 > 3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

it’s so insane that the fourth Hell House LLC movie is somehow good. (I really liked the first one but haven’t seen any of the others; I’d have to imagine it’s diminishing returns in 2 and 3)

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

They Follow

We have a winner.

https://deadline.com/2023/10/it-follows-sequel-they-follow-maika-monroe-1235587429/

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

it’s so insane that the fourth Hell House LLC movie is somehow good. (I really liked the first one but haven’t seen any of the others; I’d have to imagine it’s diminishing returns in 2 and 3)

2 is some real dog poo poo, but 3 they kinda come back around on the idea. 4 wipes the slate clean of the abbadon hotel and moves locations, but its much more effective because you can tell they've been honing their skills and stripping things back down to 1 basics really helps. Not so lost in the lore anymore that I personally didnt care about.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

This is perhaps the pre-eminent Rock'n'Roll Vampire movie (gently caress Queen of the Damned), and as a bonus has Toni Basil as a horned-up vampire momma trying to get her son laid. Best of luck to her, but honestly she should probably just give up, given what she's working with:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

Glad to hear it, I like the series despite its warts and I adore the first one. You are correct that it’s diminishing returns.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/neonrated/status/1719070984173482032?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

dorium posted:

2 is some real dog poo poo, but 3 they kinda come back around on the idea. 4 wipes the slate clean of the abbadon hotel and moves locations, but its much more effective because you can tell they've been honing their skills and stripping things back down to 1 basics really helps. Not so lost in the lore anymore that I personally didnt care about.

We recently went through the three originals and 2 definitely feels better on a rewatch, but it's absolutely the worst of the three. The third movie gets a little too big for its britches in the end and comes off slightly silly, but is overall a solid movie.

I'm really looking forward to the new one.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
They/Them Follow

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Booooo should have been 11t Fo11ow$

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

WeaponX posted:

Booooo should have been 11t Fo11ow$

Saving this title for when Harmony Korine takes over the franchise and shoots it all in infrared.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

HELL YEAH https://variety.com/2023/film/markets-festivals/it-follows-sequel-they-follow-david-robert-mitchell-maika-monroe-neon-1235773394/amp/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Man, I love It Follows and really hope David Robert Mitchell doesn't gently caress up They Follow.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah prove me wrong but I don't really see why it needed a sequel, the ambiguity is a big reason It Follows was good. Sequel with returning characters just undercuts all of it

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I love It Follows and I hope he can do something good with it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I loved It Follows and I'm very excited to see more following

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I loved It Follows and I'm very excited to see more following

:same:

Also helps very much that Maika Monroe hasn't been in a bad horror film yet (IF, Watcher, Significant Other, The Guest, Greta, and Villains). If she's on board, that's all I need to have faith

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

cant believe it's not a prequel called It Precedes but I'll take whatever I can get

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We manifested this.

Congrats thread

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fourth film will be a courtroom drama called It Stand to Reason where someone sues the inscrutable sex demon.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
My feeling towards the Red Death episode of Usher (apparently one of the better ones?) was that I would much rather be watching Gaspar Noe's Climax.

also, re Climax the twink who hooks up with the DJ honestly seems to have a really nice night. I feel bad that he has to find out about all the horrible things that happened while he wasn't paying attention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean if Gasper Noe is what you’re into then Mike Flanagan is definitely not going to give you what you need. They’re drat near opposites.