Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Bojack Horseman. I thought it was okay at first, but it started seeming like a series of Facebook inspirational memes after a little while and I couldn't get into it.

David Tennant-era Doctor Who. I'm only saying that because I've never seen any other Doctor Who. His character was absolutely unbearable, and even though the hyperactive annoyingness was apparently intentional, that didn't make me any more willing to endure it.

Deadpool. Just utterly unfunny and uninteresting. Sort of David Tennant Doctor Who vibes, in a way.

GolfHole posted:

Modern Family.

[...]

Same for Schitts Creek.

haljordan posted:

Ted Lasso. Watched maybe 3 minutes of the first episode and gave up.

Arson Daily posted:

Mad Men was dumb as poo poo. gently caress your smoking and your hats and your misogyny

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

mannerup posted:

any of those singing or talent reality shows (American Idol, Masked Singer, The Voice, America's Got Talent, X Factor, Dancing with the Stars etc.)

These and dating shows like the bachelor, just the laziest poo poo they can throw on tv to reach an acceptable threshold of eyeballs to sell ads.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Sexy beasts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJO5m6EFL6A

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Disney succeeded in what George Lucas could never quite achieve: making me dislike Star Wars. My nieces are all about it, and I can at least talk to them about the original films so that's nice. But I can't force myself to watch The Mandalorian or any of the (I'm assuming) dozen or so movies that have come out under the Disney label.

Yeah I don't even like mando, they have that same dumb vibe that superhero movies do and tons of other stuff. Everyone is a comedy genius, everyone is cool under pressure, everyone is a mary sue.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grey Cat posted:

Yeah I don't even like mando, they have that same dumb vibe that superhero movies do and tons of other stuff. Everyone is a comedy genius, everyone is cool under pressure, everyone is a mary sue.

First season of Mando was legitimately cool and good because it was something actually New for Star Wars. Then it quickly went to poo poo and just become More Star Wars because Dave Filoni couldn't help himself.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

nine-gear crow posted:

First season of Mando was legitimately cool and good because it was something actually New for Star Wars. Then it quickly went to poo poo and just become More Star Wars because Dave Filoni couldn't help himself.

I didn't mind some of the early episodes for sure, almost seemed like a gritty return to form, but at some point I just stopped watching and didn't ever come back.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I like Kevin Bacon, but I hate Footloose.

sassypotassium
Jun 12, 2023

Grey Cat posted:

I didn't mind some of the early episodes for sure, almost seemed like a gritty return to form, but at some point I just stopped watching and didn't ever come back.

Yeah I can’t really put my finger on when I stopped watching, but at some point I just lost all interest. Which at first felt a little weird, seeing as most of my life i’ve been an avid fan. I guess the Marvel-esque approach really drained all the fun out of the franchise, which is a shame.

Also: my gf loves Gillmore Girls. I loving despise that show.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Before it premiered, the appeal of the show to me was that it was finally going to be something significant after rotj that wasn't just about people with the force or fighting the empire. Then the show comes out and the second main character has force powers and the main antagonist is the imperial remnant. At least about 25% of the episodes don't have jedi or empire poo poo in them. But yeah, the show was best when it was a random guy with above-average competency in lovely armor getting his rear end beat half the time.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Meatball posted:

The expanse.

Watched a season of it, thought it was boring and didn't give a poo poo about the characters.

first season is admittedly really slow

and yeah "if it takes more than a season to get me interested in a show that's a problem" is a valid take

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Lister posted:

Before it premiered, the appeal of the show to me was that it was finally going to be something significant after rotj that wasn't just about people with the force or fighting the empire. Then the show comes out and the second main character has force powers and the main antagonist is the imperial remnant. At least about 25% of the episodes don't have jedi or empire poo poo in them. But yeah, the show was best when it was a random guy with above-average competency in lovely armor getting his rear end beat half the time.

I guess that's kinda why I really loved Andor, no space wizard bullshit, just a decent spy story set in a scifi setting with some very great acting.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

IDK how anyone can watch gutfeld. I caught a few minutes of it and even his audience didn't laugh at the jokes.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I've never watched The Godfather, and likely never will.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

bossy lady posted:

IDK how anyone can watch gutfeld. I caught a few minutes of it and even his audience didn't laugh at the jokes.
You forgot the "That Everybody Seems to Love" part of the title.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i do not understand the appeal of rick and morty

also i agree with op the office is boring and not very funny. i mostly avoided the series when it was actually on, and then years later was stuck in a hotel with covid for a week and a half and couldnt leave the room and somehow ended up watching a ton of random office reruns, it was the only thing i could handle with my brain fog, and now i hate it even more

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I hate Scrubs, so much
I don't know how much cultural cache it holds anymore, but for a long time people would talk about it and put it on and make references to it and it just made me feel sick I hated it so much.
Honestly I couldn't even explain it. It just makes my hair stand on end and get angry.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Big Mac posted:

I hate Scrubs, so much
I don't know how much cultural cache it holds anymore, but for a long time people would talk about it and put it on and make references to it and it just made me feel sick I hated it so much.
Honestly I couldn't even explain it. It just makes my hair stand on end and get angry.

i didnt watch scrubs but i watched the movie that guy made with natalie portman and it sucked so bad

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Zugzwang posted:

I like Kevin Bacon, but I hate Footloose.

Kevin Bacon used to bribe wedding DJs to not play that song if he was an invited guest because everyone else would expect him to just hop up and flawlessly do a dance from a 30 year old movie

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Earwicker posted:

i didnt watch scrubs but i watched the movie that guy made with natalie portman and it sucked so bad

I never saw that but people talked about it in the same way, so I don't ever intend to

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Big Mac posted:

I hate Scrubs, so much

you just described how I feel about The Big Bang Theory. worse, my father loving loves that show. "I'm a nerd and even though I don't use the specific word 'autism' it's exactly what I am. Bazinga, Penny!" [audience hoots and hollers with derisive laughter for ten minutes]
"Oh, Sheldon. As a normal person, I can say with authority that you're a weird freak." [another fifteen minutes of hoots, hollers]

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

SatansOnion posted:

you just described how I feel about The Big Bang Theory. worse, my father loving loves that show. "I'm a nerd and even though I don't use the specific word 'autism' it's exactly what I am. Bazinga, Penny!" [audience hoots and hollers with derisive laughter for ten minutes]
"Oh, Sheldon. As a normal person, I can say with authority that you're a weird freak." [another fifteen minutes of hoots, hollers]

I've managed to shield myself from that show enough to not really know what it's like or how it'd affect me. Genuinely it feels like pushing two magnets together with repelling poles. It is just physics that I cannot observe it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i also hate big bang theory but i wouldn't describe it as a show that "everybody seems to love" because just about everyone i know also hates it. i mean i know it has fans, my wife's cousin's ex-husband always had it on, but i know far more people who hate it than like it

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Earwicker posted:

i do not understand the appeal of rick and morty
I enjoyed it up until the fans ruined it for me.

And now there's like 3 dozen copycat super edgy animated shows and barely any of them are any good.

I seriously hate how this country does that. There is absolutely no originality and once someone releases something successful everyone copies it. The thirst for money stifles any creativity the artistic sphere in this country once had.

Earwicker posted:

i also hate big bang theory but i wouldn't describe it as a show that "everybody seems to love" because just about everyone i know also hates it. i mean i know it has fans, my wife's cousin's ex-husband always had it on, but i know far more people who hate it than like it
Yeah, I almost mentioned this but felt this same way and just decided to go generic with laugh track shows.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The West Wing often comes up on lists of "best TV shows ever." It's well-acted and all, but the portrayal of government in it is a total loving fantasy, and I'm 100% sure it poisons (lots of) people's brains to think that the GOP can be reasonable in any way.

haljordan posted:

Kevin Bacon used to bribe wedding DJs to not play that song if he was an invited guest because everyone else would expect him to just hop up and flawlessly do a dance from a 30 year old movie
lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Stranger Things

The first season was pretty cool, the second season had a kickass monster design until it stopped being a kickass giant shadow spider demon thing and just became a pile of meat, but it got pretty terrible overall after Season 1. For a show whose entire premise is "dorky d&d nerds fight an irl d&d monster" it sure transitioned pretty quick into generic teen romance story where all the characters decide they're too cool for d&d. Also the whole "oh yeah this is actually all happening because two extremely powerful psychics" explanation was dumb as hell. That show sucks.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SatansOnion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS3MGriZcs

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
The big bang theory. I had a partner who gave the best oral I've ever had and likely will ever get but they really fucken loved that show which was a major turn off and legitimately part of my calculus to end things with them.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Jesus Christ

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Zugzwang posted:

The West Wing often comes up on lists of "best TV shows ever." It's well-acted and all, but the portrayal of government in it is a total loving fantasy, and I'm 100% sure it poisons (lots of) people's brains to think that the GOP can be reasonable in any way.

lol
the west wing requires you to live in a pre-9/11 world to fully enjoy the nuances of the first two seasons

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

The GOP still agreed the Russians weren't our super best friends when that show aired.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yea that reminds me of how i thought parks and rec was ok during the time it was on, at least seasons 2-6 or so, but if you try watching it these days it does not go well at all

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
Almost all horror media produced past the 20th century. It's all loving misogynist bullshit parading around violence against women as entertainment. When it doesn't fit that bill, it's usually brain numbingly stupid and none of it is scary.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
One Piece. I just can't deal with the Luffy character, be it in anime or live action form. He's just obnoxious.

The recent comedy film Bottoms baffled me. There weren't any decent jokes but everyone else seems to think it was the funniest movie of the last decade. It was like watching a twitter thread.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Konar posted:

The Good Place was a novel and mostly cool show but I really really hated that Jason character. The lines and how they were delivered was like a stereotype of a mentally challenged person but he was just a dumb guy and god he just sucked.

Yeah the writing got lazy, hey the Jaguars are a football team that exists. One point to the joke quota. I did like S1 when there was mystery & a slight sense of horror but then all the edges were sanded off & they basked in being praised for being the smartest show on tv for throwing freshman psych 101 week one concepts at an audience.

Meatball posted:

The expanse.

Watched a season of it, thought it was boring and didn't give a poo poo about the characters.

Oh yeah the concept seemed perfect for my taste, sci-fi in new setting with politics but holy cow I couldn’t stand the lead actor/character, charisma void. Also not a fan of the weird made up Belter accents that hurt immersion & dialogue. Slogged through 3 seasons but didn’t like it more.

For me Twin Peaks, I like the idea & actors but it just doesn’t come together & feels like random nonsense being praised as genius when it feels like they didn’t have a plan. I do enjoy Dale Cooper but he never had enough to do.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Zugzwang posted:

I love the West Wing, but it's ridiculous to call it a political drama. It's a workplace drama, with very elaborate dressing. You're spot on about it being a well-acted fantasy.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Anime

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Low hanging fruit

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Jelly posted:

You forgot the "That Everybody Seems to Love" part of the title.

Gutfeld is very popular (with old people)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FrumpleOrz posted:

One Piece. I just can't deal with the Luffy character, be it in anime or live action form. He's just obnoxious.

The recent comedy film Bottoms baffled me. There weren't any decent jokes but everyone else seems to think it was the funniest movie of the last decade. It was like watching a twitter thread.

I've never really seen the appeal of One Piece either, but even if I did, my main response would be "Who the gently caress wants/has the time to watch a show or read a manga that has like 2000 episodes/chapters and is still nowhere finishing any time this decade?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

deep dish peat moss posted:

Stranger Things

The first season was pretty cool, the second season had a kickass monster design until it stopped being a kickass giant shadow spider demon thing and just became a pile of meat, but it got pretty terrible overall after Season 1. For a show whose entire premise is "dorky d&d nerds fight an irl d&d monster" it sure transitioned pretty quick into generic teen romance story where all the characters decide they're too cool for d&d. Also the whole "oh yeah this is actually all happening because two extremely powerful psychics" explanation was dumb as hell. That show sucks.

:hmmyes:

I suffered through season three and then got one episode into season four before accepting that I just didn’t care anymore.