Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

lol at Charlie from Hereditary’s Halloween costume

https://twitter.com/cumsloot4christ/status/1718448576714400110?s=46&t=Lil8vLMPVkfPh80ODFeUGg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I mean if Gasper Noe is what you’re into then Mike Flanagan is definitely not going to give you what you need. They’re drat near opposites.

This is true, but the Red Death episode felt like it was trying for a similar vibe

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I was pleasantly surprised by Five Nights At Freddie’s, not sure why it’s bombing on critics side. I love Emma Tammi’s work and was really glad she was chosen for it.

It's the standard critics see horror as low brow entertainment. The only reason the 'elevated horror' label exists is so when they do come across a horror movie they like, they don't lose snobbery credit in admitting they like something the plebs like.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Every part of this is hilarious, good on her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

High Warlord Zog posted:

This is true, but the Red Death episode felt like it was trying for a similar vibe

I don’t really think so. I mean there’s a certain amount of shock purpose especially since it’s the first kill of the series but it’s also all about the mystery of the woman and tragedy of the situation. There’s a superficial similarity but one is someone drugging a group to send them into an hour long nightmare of tragedies and the other is an individual’s carelessness and a supernatural force resulting in immediate horrible tragedy that sets off a bigger story.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The new Hell House LLC was better than the last two but it still sucks.

I can't believe they made a whole movie to explain where that loving clown comes from

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Needs the audio

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7295186178750401823

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yeah Hellhouse 4 is the best with 1 in 2nd place

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Let them eat walnut cake!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Probably unnecessary, but with Mitchell and Monroe staying on board I can remain optimistic.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Its not horror related but the new Daredevil series just hired Benson and Moorhead to direct. I mean I think its pretty cool their getting some work and recognition.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

dorium posted:

If I hadnt already played the games I would've been completely lost on what was going on.

Also its heartening that one of the biggest childrens franchises is based on a child murderer. My 5 year old niece is aware and knows the Freddy characters and this is what the franchise is. I'm all about it.

the creator being a Trumpy might make the subject matter ickier along with the whole you know, giving him money thing

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The new Hell House LLC was better than the last two but it still sucks.

I can't believe they made a whole movie to explain where that loving clown comes from

Listen the appeal of Hell House LLC is that the movie is called Hell House LLC and it seems like everyone has managed to sit through the movie which makes it the crown jewel of movies named like Hell House LLC

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

Its not horror related but the new Daredevil series just hired Benson and Moorhead to direct. I mean I think its pretty cool their getting some work and recognition.

They already had that. They're producing Loki, which is one of the most popular and best regarded of the Marvel shows.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Alan Smithee posted:

the creator being a Trumpy might make the subject matter ickier along with the whole you know, giving him money thing

Wait this whole Five Nights at Freddy thing is about a right wing looney making a game about Chuck-E-Cheese killing children? That’s an easy one to interpret.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Hollismason posted:

Resolution was such a great movie. I can't believe they made a crane shot scary somehow.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Are critics still overly harsh regarding horror? Granted I only read specific ones but that doesn't feel like much of an issue anymore. The critical reaction to Freddy Five Nights seems about the same as the audience reaction.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven’t seen it nor have I ever played the game but much of the criticism I’ve seen has been bottle “it’s PG-13” and “I gotta watch the new thing on streaming easily available to me even if it’s not something I’m likely going enjoy”.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

STAC Goat posted:

Wait this whole Five Nights at Freddy thing is about a right wing looney making a game about Chuck-E-Cheese killing children? That’s an easy one to interpret.

It was made way before that nonsense. And the children are the Chuck E. Cheese mascots getting revenge for being killed by a security guard? Idk who afton was in the games

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023

:aaa:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Are critics still overly harsh regarding horror? Granted I only read specific ones but that doesn't feel like much of an issue anymore. The critical reaction to Freddy Five Nights seems about the same as the audience reaction.

Nothing today compares to Siskel and Ebert doxxing people.

Really the only big criticism I ever see on imdb/reddit/rotten tomatoes/twitter seems to be directed at Zoomer horror. People will just free reign rip it apart when sometimes it ain't that bad

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Anyone watch 30 Coins? Season 2 just started and it was strong. Some Silent Hill/Hellraiser type imagery there

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Watched Suitable Flesh. At times extremely reminiscent of the late night erotic thrillers you'd see on Cinemax. Very campy.

Meh.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

FNAF Smashing records

quote:

Domestic

Highest-grossing opening weekend for Blumhouse, surpassing 2018’s “Halloween” ($76.22 million)
19th Blumhouse film to open in first place at the domestic box office
Biggest opening weekend of the year for a horror film, overtaking “Scream VI” ($44 million)
Second-largest debut of all time for a video game adaptation, behind “The Super Mario Bros. Movie” ($146.3 million)
Tied for best opening weekend for a day-and-date streaming release, with Disney’s 2021 Marvel adventure “Black Widow” ($80 million in theaters and $60 million on Disney+)
Biggest opening weekend ever for Universal and Peacock’s hybrid releases, beating the slasher sequels, 2021 “Halloween Kills” ($49 million) and 2022’s “Halloween Ends” ($40 million)
Highest-grossing opening weekend for Halloween weekend release, outperforming 2011’s “Puss in Boots” ($34 million)
Third-biggest debut for any horror film, trailing 2017’s “It” ($123 million) and 2019’s “It: Chapter Two” ($91 million)
Best debut ever for PG-13 horror film, besting 2001’s “The Mummy Returns” ($68 million)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

Anyone watch 30 Coins? Season 2 just started and it was strong. Some Silent Hill/Hellraiser type imagery there

Yup

Had a little lol at the crazy guy's windmill hideout with "Daniken??" on his red string wall, and a bigger one at Padre Vergara literally smiting demons with a giant mace

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

FNAF Smashing records

Jesus, lol. Guess it wasn't too late to make that movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Let the kids have their dumb horror imo. It ain’t gonna hurt me. As long as they keep making cool practical suits and keep pushing practical more I’m solid

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Do NOT let people enjoy things imvho

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

So They Follow is gonna be an Alien > Aliens thing? Now Maika Monroe is running from a whole passel of shapeshifting gently caress ghosts?

I’m assuming the pitch was like Cameron’s Aliens pitch, but it’s really awkward as Mitchell erases the “It”, writes “They” and makes the “y” a ¥.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Do NOT let people enjoy things imvho

This.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wrong poo poo

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Xiahou Dun posted:

So They Follow is gonna be an Alien > Aliens thing? Now Maika Monroe is running from a whole passel of shapeshifting gently caress ghosts?

Maybe they’re like ants, man. There’s one female that runs the whole show. She’s like, bad rear end man

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I watched Digging up the Marrow. It wasn't bad, but it was kinda weird because I had never heard of Adam Green before and it was very clearly a movie for ride-or-die Adam Green fans. I guess those people exist?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

New Hell House LLC is probably the best of the franchise. Also lol at that post credits scene

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mother of god how had I never heard of Mohawk before. This is so powerfully my poo poo, it’s basically The Last of the Mohicans with the gore setting turned way up.

Not impressed by the soundtrack and it’s got some budgetary constraints, but loving A. This is the find of the month easy.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

poo poo, I added that to my watchlist recently and then forgot about it. I need to check it out.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

I watched Digging up the Marrow. It wasn't bad, but it was kinda weird because I had never heard of Adam Green before and it was very clearly a movie for ride-or-die Adam Green fans. I guess those people exist?

Kinda. Adam Green has his own Kevin smith esq universe thing going on but besides marrow and frozen I haven’t loved much he’s done.

I like him and is podcast more but I honestly just felt bad for him. He can’t get a movie off the ground and yet his podcast partner friend Joe lynch has a movie coming out right now

bbobseq
Jul 1, 2023
Happy Helloween

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvUqag6W46c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Xiahou Dun posted:

The Stalker It from the first movie is a known weirdo among its kind and the other its follow Monroe to apologize.