Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pleads posted:

I'm back into Memory of Light on an audiobook re-listen and while I remembered how Sanderson loved to Think With Portals, I forgot the part where Perrin tries to set up the TAR wolves to act as an instant communication relay network. "Space yourselves out just to the edge of sending range and when Slayer shows up, send a message through the whole network so it reaches me down at Merrilor."

Sando watching S2E8: "oh my god mat tying the dagger to a stick is just so dumb and weird!"
Sando writing AMOL: "Mat just grabs the dagger and stabs someone with it it's no big deal"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

CainFortea posted:

Sando watching S2E8: "oh my god mat tying the dagger to a stick is just so dumb and weird!"
Sando writing AMOL: "Mat just grabs the dagger and stabs someone with it it's no big deal"

In fairness, I’ve gotten lost in a mathematical derivation I did literally the day before. I can totally see someone who writes as much as Sanderson does forgetting some of the things he’s done in the past. Man has both an internal wiki his assistants maintain for him and an external wiki maintained by his fans. That’s a whole lot of “I don’t need to remember this because it’s written down somewhere”.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grundulum posted:

In fairness, I’ve gotten lost in a mathematical derivation I did literally the day before. I can totally see someone who writes as much as Sanderson does forgetting some of the things he’s done in the past. Man has both an internal wiki his assistants maintain for him and an external wiki maintained by his fans. That’s a whole lot of “I don’t need to remember this because it’s written down somewhere”.

I've listened to basically his entire tenure on Writing Excuses before he bowed out and let newer hosts take over and just forgetting poo poo he's said previously in the course of his gish gallops (because he talks a lot and talks fast) and just outright contradicting himself between years and episodes is a bit of a weakness of his. And it is purely down to just sheer volume and memory, yeah. We're all guilty of some "when the hell did I say THAT" stuff in our lives.

But still yeah, every moment that Sanderson got weirdly mad at in 2x08 was all stuff that other people I've watched the show with were all "Hell yeah, this rules, what a smart way to deal with that problem" to. So to each their own, I guess.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 27, 2023

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Thanks for the links, everyone!

Man, it's been 30 years and I still can't handle Hopper's death. To soar...

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

DOVIE'ANDE SE TOVYA SAGAIN

may have gotten a lil chill when he roared that
The delivery was great. It kind of sounded like anglo-saxon in a way, to me at least.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Devorum posted:

Thanks for the links, everyone!

Man, it's been 30 years and I still can't handle Hopper's death. To soar...

Yeah anyone who says the first book is bad is forgetting some ridiculously impactful moments.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

But still yeah, every moment that Sanderson got weirdly mad at in 2x08 was all stuff that other people I've watched the show with were all "Hell yeah, this rules, what a smart way to deal with that problem" to. So to each their own, I guess.

There is something to be said that if you have certain scenes in your heads for decades the expectation for them to be visually shown is (literally, lol) sky high.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5ZnrCsLlL4

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

I love the various WoT media stuff done by fans. They do a lot more advertising for the show than Amazon itself does. Supposedly some of the Amazon WoT media team has been exchanged, so maybe it will change in the future?

Some more Season 3 casting stuff with hints at potential story lines(I'll spoiler it in case someone doesn't want to know anything):

Jared Doreck as Jaichim Carridin - leader of a group of Questioners in Tanchico:

Interestingly, after failure in Tanchico he was sent to Ebou Dar and there hired an assassin who had taken on the identity of Lady Shiaine.
And Raksha Hoost (on the right) has supposedly been cast as Shiaine:

I wonder if they will combine some of the Ebou Dar and Tanchico stuff.

On the left in that picture is Tereza Dušková, who was supposedly cast as Maigran - from the Rhuidean flashbacks - under the director responsible for episodes 3 and 4.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Neuxue. She stopped around ToM sadly and I haven't heard signs she plans to finish.

https://neuxue.tumblr.com/WoT-liveblog

I've been reading this blog and I hope she never ever ever stops expecting dragons to show up.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

CainFortea posted:

I've been reading this blog and I hope she never ever ever stops expecting dragons to show up.

I just read the first couple of posts and got a good chuckle out of all the predictions about Tam dying, and also wanting Rand to be a dragon.

EDIT: Oh, drat...she clocked Rand using the One Power to energize Bela.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 28, 2023

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

CainFortea posted:

The show can simply say that the "Magic of the Horn" uncorrupted the dagger and transformed Mat's makeshift spear into the Ashendrei, making it safe to use permanently.

I think Sando is thinking that the fully corrupted dagger is still just tied to a stick, for like the next 1.5 years of the story. Which would be functionally the same as Mat possessing and using the dagger for that entire length of time. He'd be fully under it's influence and spread the taint of Shadar Logoth everywhere he went.

I don't think Sando forgot that Mat used the dagger for like 5 seconds in AMOL.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

th3t00t posted:

The show can simply say that the "Magic of the Horn" uncorrupted the dagger and transformed Mat's makeshift spear into the Ashendrei, making it safe to use permanently.

I think Sando is thinking that the fully corrupted dagger is still just tied to a stick, for like the next 1.5 years of the story. Which would be functionally the same as Mat possessing and using the dagger for that entire length of time. He'd be fully under it's influence and spread the taint of Shadar Logoth everywhere he went.

I don't think Sando forgot that Mat used the dagger for like 5 seconds in AMOL.

From what I recall from the stream, the thing that Sanderson was trying to articulate through his frustration was that it sounded like the dagger-on-a-stick was just gonna be the Ashendrei for the rest of the show rather than just like, the thing that gives Mat the idea to forge or acquire an Ashendrei because he sees how well it works/got his past life memories back for a bit and was like "Huh, this seems like it could work real well.", and that was what made him upset about it.

And if that's the case, then yeah I can get why he'd be upset about that. Hopefully it's the latter and he's just either misinterpreting things or uninformed and making assumptions, but we'll see.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rand's wound sure doesn't look like the dagger was uncorrupted

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

putting the cursed dagger on a stick sounds like something sanderson would himself have invented

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

I'm out here wondering how he's going to acquire the TP wound, myself.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

lol he's mad he didn't come up with it

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I mean, later on mat just grabs the dagger and stabs fain with it without a stick so it just seems like much ado about nothing

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I don't mind dagger stick but i don't want that to be his ashanderai

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
there is no way shape form or chance that mat seriously uses the dagger ties to a loving bedpost the rest of the series take a fuckin breath. Come tf on lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why not tho

The show has already shown that it works fine

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

It would be very interesting to have it made into a proper Ashanderei with a proper shaft and the dagger fixed in a proper setting.

But I don't think Moiraine would be fine with a dagger from Shadar Logoth just being passed around.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DTurtle posted:

It would be very interesting to have it made into a proper Ashanderei with a proper shaft and the dagger fixed in a proper setting.

But I don't think Moiraine would be fine with a dagger from Shadar Logoth just being passed around.

Would be hilarious though if Mat's like "Hey Moiraine! Look what I made :haw:" and she just hucks it into the sea with the One Power the second she sees it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Data Graham posted:

Why not tho

The show has already shown that it works fine

i could be wrong but i think that's mostly because the show has made it very clear it can just slice through most things like butter and it being tied to a stick isn't much of a problem in the short term

using it beyond that initial escape sequence + the hornblowing and all that sounds like such an insanely dumb idea that i don't know why sanderson is stupid enough to just assume that's how it's going to be. but then again he's fine with just having mat randomly grab it anyways if his writing is any clue, so lol

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

they might replace ashandarei with it because then the show only peope wouldn't have to remember another new magic item and its gobledygook name

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i get the feeling they'll probably just give mat a power-wrought weapon sooner or later and not give too much of a poo poo about the details behind it purely so they don't have to write around the insanely cursed pocket knife that magically taints everything it touches and can slice through literally anything

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ChubbyChecker posted:

they might replace ashandarei with it because then the show only peope wouldn't have to remember another new magic item and its gobledygook name

Yeah I mean I am absolutely not ruling out that I am stupid, but it seems to me that in a TV show context they've established that it's a thing and it works, why would anything about that change? Why would anyone NOT assume that if he's carrying a spear with a knife on it in the future, it's the one he was just very vividly shown obtaining and using? I'm mystified as to why it has to be replaced or why that's a foregone conclusion for alert TV viewers

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

It’s so dumb that it almost makes it back around to hilariously good. Sadly it stays dumb.

The physics make zero sense. Sure, magic knife/lightsaber. Lay on desk, landed on a rub, tied to a bedpost with some scavenged leather cord. The desk/rug were not magical, didn’t melt, and off we go to handwavium land. Similarly, the bedpost and cord are presumably not magical, so how in the gently caress did they stand up to a running battle. When you stab people, your weapon gets all sorts of jostled and bled on. Eventually we take this thing, show it off to the heroes of the horn, who don’t react. Then we chuck it at our friend like a pilum. If you’ve never thrown a broom, go ahead and give it a try and get back to me.

For less effort they could just have a scene with fain/mat/ish/rand and the mask of mirrors and stab the wrong person. It might even be a cool scene to have both mat and fain stab rand while rand is disguised as ish.

The escape sequence? Mat just has a pair of lock picks hidden in his boot that he bought in the fore gate after being tired of being locked the gently caress up. It’s not like lanfear is going to check for mundane roguery, nor is ish, and it’s entirely in keeping with mat’s character. Then he takes the bedpost, quarterstaff champion of the two rivers a guard, gets a glaive and off he trots. This is even in keeping with the general lack of respect the forsaken give mundane solutions that bites them over and over with mat/Perrin.

Macguyver worked on tv because they nominally paid a lot of attention to verisimilitude. Every time they got it wrong they rightly got poo poo on by the fans. Matguyver happens a bunch in the books and largely works for the same reasons, RJ paid attention to the details. This is a dumb sequence, and deserves to get laughed at.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It was fun and made for fun TV, imo

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
There's another evil knife in the books that has that anything it touches starts burning effect. Lady shiaine carries it. Giving the sl dagger the same effect is actually pretty fair.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Anias posted:

It’s so dumb that it almost makes it back around to hilariously good. Sadly it stays dumb.

The physics make zero sense. Sure, magic knife/lightsaber. Lay on desk, landed on a rub, tied to a bedpost with some scavenged leather cord. The desk/rug were not magical, didn’t melt, and off we go to handwavium land. Similarly, the bedpost and cord are presumably not magical, so how in the gently caress did they stand up to a running battle. When you stab people, your weapon gets all sorts of jostled and bled on. Eventually we take this thing, show it off to the heroes of the horn, who don’t react. Then we chuck it at our friend like a pilum. If you’ve never thrown a broom, go ahead and give it a try and get back to me.

For less effort they could just have a scene with fain/mat/ish/rand and the mask of mirrors and stab the wrong person. It might even be a cool scene to have both mat and fain stab rand while rand is disguised as ish.

The escape sequence? Mat just has a pair of lock picks hidden in his boot that he bought in the fore gate after being tired of being locked the gently caress up. It’s not like lanfear is going to check for mundane roguery, nor is ish, and it’s entirely in keeping with mat’s character. Then he takes the bedpost, quarterstaff champion of the two rivers a guard, gets a glaive and off he trots. This is even in keeping with the general lack of respect the forsaken give mundane solutions that bites them over and over with mat/Perrin.

Macguyver worked on tv because they nominally paid a lot of attention to verisimilitude. Every time they got it wrong they rightly got poo poo on by the fans. Matguyver happens a bunch in the books and largely works for the same reasons, RJ paid attention to the details. This is a dumb sequence, and deserves to get laughed at.

It actually owned, sorry you didn't enjoy it

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Anias posted:

It would be a pretty lovely knife if it melted anything that touches the handle

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Anias posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Nihilarian posted:

Loial seems fine so it can’t be too bad.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It actually owned, sorry you didn't enjoy it

It was so close to making it to Monty python skit status. Just needed fain clanging some coconuts.

Man ties knife to bedpost using bootstraps, conquers castle.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That would also own

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
Mat thought he was being all clever and badass with his cursed dagger-spear, and then he ended up nearly killing his friend with it. He’s dropping that poo poo like a hot rock at the beginning of season 3.

Pleads posted:

Loial seems fine so it can’t be too bad.

Yeah I want to see the explanation on this. Rafe said in an interview that Loial has some nasty scars when he takes off his shirt. I wonder if that’s something we’ll see next season, along with some story about retreating to a stedding to do some handwavy Ogier healing thing that wouldn’t be possible for Rand.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Or also that it wasn't being yielded by mat when loial was stabbed.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Or also that it wasn't being yielded by mat when loial was stabbed.

You'd think being stabbed with it by Padan Fain would just make it MORE evil though, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

You'd think being stabbed with it by Padan Fain would just make it MORE evil though, right?

I mean, the evil of shadae logoth hates the shadow, so it being less effective when being used by a dark friend makes sense