Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I hope Kuma and Ginny got a lot of time together before the inevitable.

I wouldn't mind if she pulls a Sabo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

An Actual Pirate Reacts and Analyzes the Japanese Manga One Piece

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lpzie posted:

An Actual Pirate Reacts and Analyzes the Japanese Manga One Piece

That's us every week when the scans come out

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Deadpool_ranger/status/1719500667008823517?s=20

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they had to put crowe's nest because they couldn't put carrot's nest yet. oda told them she will join but they can't put it on the box as carrot's nest. carrot will be the lookout

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Carrot wasn't on the merry

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

There are some common tropes of these types of stories that Oda has so far avoided. One is the main character losing their powers, and needing an arc to get them back. Another one is having a someone betray them, which we've kind of had with Robin in Water 7 and Sanji in Whole Cake Island. I hope it stays this way.

Luffy will definitely have to fight without his devil fruit against Blackbeard, so that's covered. And we've had betrayals, especially with Kanjuro recently.

I really hope we don't see either one of these in the final stage here, especially the betrayal. I can't imagine for one second that any of the Straw Hats would betray Luffy. Even if it meant their death. It would be cheap as hell if it was like "oh yeah and Franky was selling info to the World Government all along".

But maybe.. maybe that's how we're supposed to feel. We're supposed to think the crew is so closely bonded to Luffy that even the idea of betrayal is impossible. So when it finally does happen, it comes out of nowhere and it hits even harder.

If we are getting Marineford 2.0, then it stands to reason that we'll get Squard 2.0 as well. It'll never be a straw hat pirate though. I could see maybe... ok honestly I can't even imagine any of the captains from the grand fleet doing it, either. drat it, Oda. Maybe Sai if Baby 5 is threatened. So not willingly. But Luffy would do the same thing as Whitebeard, tank the hit and hug the person who did it. And laugh, maybe make confetti come out instead of blood because you know he'll be in Gear 5th.

In conclusion, where is the new chapter?

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Remember how many fake "Brook betrays the straw hats" spoilers we got when thriller bark was happening

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

If we are getting Marineford 2.0, then it stands to reason that we'll get Squard 2.0 as well. It'll never be a straw hat pirate though. I could see maybe... ok honestly I can't even imagine any of the captains from the grand fleet doing it, either. drat it, Oda. Maybe Sai if Baby 5 is threatened. So not willingly. But Luffy would do the same thing as Whitebeard, tank the hit and hug the person who did it. And laugh, maybe make confetti come out instead of blood because you know he'll be in Gear 5th.

Eh. Maybe I'll eat my words in like ten years when there is another Marinford or something, but I just can't see a Squard 2.0 happening with Luffy.

It was a great character moment for Whitebeard because we didn't really know a lot about the guy at the time. We knew what happened if you messed with his family, but we didn't know what happened if his family messed with him. It was the first (and only?) time those bonds are really tested. And we learned in like three pages that he is kind, forgiving, and also trusting in those bonds that he immeadiately sees the bigger picture of how it was set up. It was also mostly for our benefit as readers since as far as I remember none of the other pirates or people who knew Whitebeard in general bought that poo poo at all.

We don't need to know any of that about Luffy. Since we've had over 1000 chapters to know what Luffy and the Strawhats mean to each other. And as you said I can't see anyone in the armada trying that either. Like, the way they got Squard was by convincing him that Whitebeard was playing favorites.

Everyone in the armada already knows that Luffy's favorites are his crew. He rejected the parent cup because he didn't want to be beholden to them or take responsability in any way, and they drank anyway because they felt like serving under him anyway.

If there's gotta be a stabbing (or an attempted stabbing even) I'd expect it to be from whoever's left in the story at that point that's still dumb enough to shoot their shot (So, Buggy or maybe Crocodile, but probably just Buggy). And that would absolutely get played for laughs.

And if we're gonna rule out the stabbing but still have a Squard 2.0, I expect it'll be Luffy being tested in some other way. Like maybe it'll happen before then but I'm really curious how or if Oda'll have Luffy coming to grips with becoming a symbol of liberation. He already didn't want to be a hero back on Fishman Island, and that was just because he didn't want to share food. I can't imagine he'll be too happy when people are ready and willing to die for him. And not necessarily for him but for Nika, the god he didn't choose to be.

So if there's a betrayal at that point, I don't think it'll be a betrayal of Luffy the man but maybe a betrayal of Luffy's dream. We don't know all of it, but we do know he wants a world where his friends can eat as much as they like. And if someone sacrifices themselves for him, they might save him but they'll hurt his happy ending.

(And yeah, this has happened before with Bon Clay, Pedro, and Ace. But those were before Gear 5 and in situations when he was still out of his depth. Maybe I'm overall just wondering if there'll be something that can break Gear 5's sunny disposition?)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Blackbeard turns off Buggy's Cut Cut powers and cackles that now Buggy is powerless. A confused Buggy throws a buggy bomb* in Blackbeard's face and kills him, his followers fall even more deeply in love.

* Remember when he used one to blow up that town?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Jerusalem posted:

* Remember when he used one to blow up that town?

No.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

YggdrasilTM posted:

I still think the whole "SOMEHOW the marines missed the lake full of books" is dumb almost as "SOMEHOW there is a hole in a wall that allows Wapol to find about the super secret king of the world, totally by chance"

Yeah that hole was definitely there before Wapol (the guy who can chew through anything) tried to eavesdrop on his rival... such lazy writing Oda, smh

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I don't think Wapol is capable of eating just a tiny smidge of anything, honestly

But more importantly it is way funnier a plot beat that Wapol just happens to hear and see some of the darkest most important secrets in the one piece world because there happened to be a tiny crack in the wall, therefore that being exactly what happened is great.

THE GREATEST THREAT TO THE WORLD ORDER: poor management of castle walls

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
blackbeard is gonna grab luffy and turn off gear 5 and then luffy's gonna turn it back on and it'll be pog

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Looper posted:

blackbeard is gonna grab luffy and turn off gear 5 and then luffy's gonna turn it back on and it'll be pog

Blackbeard is gonna grab Gear 5 Luffy and then Blackbeard's powers get turned off

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Luffy and Blackbeard are both gonna wade in all cocky and confident and the whole fight becomes a contest of who can eat poo poo first so they can make a 2nd or even 3rd round comeback

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Blackbeards gonna grab Blackbeard and collapse into a singularity.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Blackbeard and Luffy's argument about the pie will be reignited several times throughout the fight.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

rannum posted:

I don't think Wapol is capable of eating just a tiny smidge of anything, honestly

But more importantly it is way funnier a plot beat that Wapol just happens to hear and see some of the darkest most important secrets in the one piece world because there happened to be a tiny crack in the wall, therefore that being exactly what happened is great.

THE GREATEST THREAT TO THE WORLD ORDER: poor management of castle walls

Even after 800 years the great Imu couldn't resist every supervillain's downfall: Inviting your nemeses into your gloating room.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Caidin posted:

Luffy and Blackbeard are both gonna wade in all cocky and confident and the whole fight becomes a contest of who can eat poo poo first so they can make a 2nd or even 3rd round comeback

lol i hope so

LunarCress
Feb 7, 2015

Bad scans are up https://opscanlations.com/one/one-piece-chapter/13/
Spoilers Kuma remains the Goodest Boy in One Piece.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just the alley fight from they live

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

So if we/scans have this right, assuming Bonney hasn't been born yet, she's at most like 14 years old.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The anime thread was talking about the Koazuki clan making poneglyphs, and it made me realize we really know even less than we thought we did about the void century. The stated war between the upstart WG and an Ancient Kingdom, in light of the Nefertari Lili, Wano, and Joyboy info we've gotten seems to be a lie.

Poneglyphs are the only record of the Ancient Kingdom. However Joyboy and the Kozuki Clan are the only people known to be able to write on poneglyphs (I assume Oden is the one who did Roger's graffiti in Skypeia). Further those poneglyphs were spread by one of the founding members of the WG, Nefertari Lili.

My guess is that there was a war in the Void Century, however the foundling families of the WG weren't directly involved. Possibly Oda is using the Bronze Age Collapse as a basis for the actual events of the Void Century. With the Ancient Kingdom being a stand in for the various Mediterranean powers and the Moon civilization being the Sea Peoples. Regardless, I'm going with the eventual WG are actually just people who came into the surviving remnants after the war and declared themselves the victors. The secret they're trying to cover is that they saved nobody, aren't heroes, and have absolutely no legitimacy. They're just scavengers who came in and usurped the title of king.

Of course there's also the fact that the WG is largely just a facade for Im and the 5 Elder Planets to rule the world. The shocking truth that will turn the world upside down probably has to do with Im's identity and true motives. Which are going to have to be both shocking enough that the world would revolt and basic enough that it also pisses off Luffy. Just being a despot in and of itself isn't enough to get Luffy swinging. Theories about blood sacrifices tying into the demon theme would work, but it seems like it's going to be more complex.

Maybe the Red Line line was created by the invading Space People to divide the world to make it easier to conquer. The Ancient Kingdom fought back, and the ensuing war destroyed both sides. The WG families explore the Red Line and discover the truth, but instead of fixing the division(which is what Joyboy wanted to do, freeing the Mer/Fishmen from their isolation) they exploited it. Lili was partially on board, perhaps with the understanding that they would use the Red Line to bridge the divide, but spread the poneglyphs so future generations could make the choice. However Im corrupted the whole thing to take total power. The revelations of the existence of Im and the illegitimacy of the WG will spur most people, but Luffy will be more concerned with the fact that the artificial Red Line is keeping everyone divided, incidentally oppressing Fishman Island, stopping global adventures, and preventing the gourmet feast presented by All Blue.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Bad scan spoilers So I'm guessing the WG captures Ginny and uses her as leverage to get Kuma to join the Warlords. It turns out that Ginny's pregnant, and she dies while giving birth while captured, so the WG uses Bonney as the new hostage, which is why Akainu mentioned how they were so worried when she escaped.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

LunarCress posted:

Bad scans are up https://opscanlations.com/one/one-piece-chapter/13/
Spoilers Kuma remains the Goodest Boy in One Piece.

Kuma sorta rules hard

Dragon was in the Navy?

:chanpop:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Sega Dreamcast posted:

Kuma sorta rules hard

Dragon was in the Navy?

:chanpop:

I think people already assumed Dragon was in the Navy. He was Garp's son, after all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Luffy was rightfully pissed off when he first saw how the Celestial Dragons treated the people of Sabody but didn’t take direct action until one of his friends got hurt by them so it’s possible something similar might happen with Imu

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Latest chapter: I love Kuma.

RuBisCO posted:

So if we/scans have this right, assuming Bonney hasn't been born yet, she's at most like 14 years old.
Also, Dragon met Ginny 22 years ago and Luffy is 19 years old. Just saying.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My personal wild theory is that Ginny will become Bonney when she obtains the Age-Age Fruit which factory resets your brain

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 1, 2023

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

jesus christ it took oda like two pages from introducing king bekori to making me feel an incredibly deep-seated hatred for him, lol. dude is a master of making up the absolute worst villains

e: the page where they talk about the sorbet kingdom partition and how people in the north can just treat the southerners however the hell they want is just so painfully painfully painfully timely :(

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 1, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Kuma's the goodest boy in the series :qq:.

I like the newly emerged mystery - is Ginny Bonnies mom or Luffy's? Or are they siblings?

Ronnz
Mar 6, 2010
If this all doesnt lead to a cut back to the present and Kuma just divebombing Saturn with all the pain hes accumulated over the years it will feel like a huge missed opportunity to me. Just unloading all the pain the world government has caused on that rear end in a top hat would be absolutely beautiful in my opinion.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Kuma's the goodest boy in the series :qq:.

I like the newly emerged mystery - is Ginny Bonnies mom or Luffy's? Or are they siblings?

A thought I just had- what if Kuma isn't Bonney's biological father. What if something happens to Ginny and Kuma raises Bonney, but someone else (Dragon?) is the biological father. Kuma seemed pretty adamant about not having kids of his lineage to prevent the suffering he went through.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i love kuma!!!

Eiba posted:

A thought I just had- what if Kuma isn't Bonney's biological father. What if something happens to Ginny and Kuma raises Bonney, but someone else (Dragon?) is the biological father. Kuma seemed pretty adamant about not having kids of his lineage to prevent the suffering he went through.

if that's where kuma and akainus beef comes from and why akainu spared bonney :stare:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Eiba posted:

Also Bonney got into the Reverie by disguising herself as the Dowager Queen of Sorbet. If you age yourself by 30 years, you’ll probably look like your mom. I wonder if Ginny is still running the kingdom in some hosed up capacity

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

This certainly does provide some context to :zoro:. Was Kuma gonna take on that pain, if Zoro didn't???

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Marluxia posted:

This certainly does provide some context to :zoro:. Was Kuma gonna take on that pain, if Zoro didn't???

Yeah that was my thought. Very good and cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

My personal wild theory is that Ginny will become Bonney when she obtains the Age-Age Fruit which factory resets your brain

I'm actually considering this as well - I think Bonney might actually just be Ginny with her memories paw'd out.

Kuma says in this chapter that stuff he pushes out will eventually go back to where it came from unless it goes into somebody else, so how did the big bubble of memories stay in Vegapunk's lab? I think those memories may not have been his (or only his) and Vegapunk used some kinda Science to keep it locked away.

I also would like this to be true instead of Bonney (a relatively sexualized character) being a child.