Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

My tanks! The APS does nothing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So the artillery and armour, regular and reserve, do not actually train at their jobs, but have a training focus that is 100% geared towards children throwing rocks.

That explains a lot.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

FlapYoJacks posted:

Israel using children as shields is disgusting.

found in the twitter thread

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Still fucks with me how we just send kids out to war. Humans are hosed, man.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

may allah strike down the great satan and its pathetic apartheid vassal

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Frosted Flake posted:

The explanation given in that book published this July is very funny:

Israel cut almost all trade-specific training for artillery and armour troops to use them as dismounted stand-ins for infantry in the West Bank and Gaza during the Intifadas. They have not reintroduced that training and do not regularly refresh as individuals or conduct unit training in their assigned arm.

The average conscript does his basic artillery/armour course, then is used for border duties, and all subsequent his call ups and refresher training focus on that. That explains all of the tank accidents over the past few weeks too.

Israel has a small infantry corps and didn't want to use reservists too heavily for the border duties since it really hurts popular support (loser crybaby country that is casualty adverse). They therefore cannibalized the other arms of their professional military to focus on beat up Palestinians. Artillery units in the Gaza division, for example, apparently had all of their guns and battery equipment parked at a big rear end motor pool, some place else, unused. Their actual day to day job was in the outposts and watchtowers.

the IDF is like if someone said "If we got all the prison guards in America together we could put together a functional army."

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
normally you'd have infantry to watch for people doing that, but, as has been repeatedly discussed in this thread, the Israeli army has all but abolished the use of infantry in actual combat situations, using them almost exclusively in a police role against lightly armed or unarmed populations

in theory you'd use drones and cameras mounted on the vehicles to replace the situational awareness that infantry would have previously provided - the newest IDF tanks are even getting fancy super-expensive augmented reality helmets for tank commanders that are supposed to let them see everything around the tank at all times, to help them notice and react to, for example, a guy with an RPG crawling up behind the tank.

the fantasy the IDF has bought into is that of a war in which they risk nothing and suffer no casualties, the belief that it is possible to establish such overwhelming qualitative superiority that you are, not just perceived as invincible, but actually, literally invincible. that every enemy weapon system can be negated or neutralized, that every possible attack can be defended against, that war is a solvable problem.

it's how they reconcile two seemingly contradictory ideas. Israel, as a fascist settler state, is obsessed with violence, bases its national mythology around the righteousness and purifying power of violence, derives its legitimacy as a state from its ability to inflict violence, and assigns value to its citizenry based partly on their willingness to commit violence and their ability to do so. it is a state that exists to wage war and defines itself as a nation of warriors. at the same time, they're so casualty-averse that the consequences of waging war are devastating to national morale and they have almost no societal tolerance for setbacks. a single Israeli soldier lost is a national tragedy, more so than an Israeli civilian death, even. they want to fight, they need to fight, but they can't deal with the inevitable results of that fighting. but what if you didn't have to? what if there was a way to wage war safely?

well luckily for them, there are businessmen willing to sell them technological solutions that promise just that, promise them exactly the kind of war they want, a war with all the glory and all the power, the thrill of triumphing over the hated foe, but without ever having to directly put you or yours at any risk.

and they place their faith in those solutions, because they have to, they have to believe that they work, the viability of Israel as a nation depends on it. so you get them blindly driving unsupported tanks directly into ambushes over and over and over, each time unwilling to entertain the possibility that it won't work.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Still fucks with me how we just send kids out to war. Humans are hosed, man.

“War Pigs” really captured the human condition.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Urban combat continues to be the great equalizer.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

FlapYoJacks posted:

Israel using children as shields is disgusting.

Well what are the stat bonuses

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

LeeMajors posted:

“War Pigs” really captured the human condition.

Best anti-war song. Ditch the logos for pathos.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

speng31b posted:

no

it is not fine. do not post videos of people getting beaten, tortured, etc.

i just gotta say i think this policy is kind of weird and dumb as long as the posts are properly tagged and warned so people can choose whether to view or not.

did we ban videos of cops being pieces of poo poo beating up protesters during the height of the george floyd protestss? banning any possibly upsetting videos because a bunch of freaks liked to jerk off to russians getting killed in ukraine is definitely a choice

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I'm currently drafting a plan i call the Ultimate State Solution - it involves every citizen of Palestine and Israel performing a simultaneous mass fusion dance - creating an singular gestalt being with g*dlike power, the Super Semite

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

You can't post fighting here! This is the war thread!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
i've made my peace with the fact that somehow, monkeys paw style, the gbs ukraine idiots always somehow get their way and make everything worse

you just gotta roll with it

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Calibanibal posted:

Well what are the stat bonuses

+3% protection from Jihad
+82 points to "evil fascist country"
-2000% ground war effectiveness

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Al-Saqr posted:

iran officially calls on all muslim countris to stop all gas and energy and food exports to israel

https://x.com/spectatorindex/status/1719642634615218477?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Al-Saqr posted:

the world union of islamic scholars have issued a fatwa demanding arab armies and countries intervene to save gaza

The International Union of Muslim Scholars issued a fatwa regarding the duty of Islamic governments towards the Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip

‎🔴 Emphasizing that it is legitimate for the ruling regimes and official armies to intervene urgently to save Gaza from genocide and comprehensive destruction,

‎🔴 Leaving Gaza, Al-Aqsa, and Palestine to be annihilated and destroyed is a betrayal of God and His Messenger, and one of the greatest sins and the greatest sins before God Almighty.

‎🔴 He added in his statement that there is a legal duty to intervene militarily and supply military equipment and expertise at the level of all the resistance factions in the West Bank and the 1948, and on the four ring countries, starting with Egypt, then Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon.

‎🔴 He stressed that the comprehensive Western military, financial, media and diplomatic support for Israel requires Arab and Islamic countries to reciprocate militarily, financially, media and diplomacy for Palestine. It is not reasonable for the official armies, which number four million, and on which $170 billion is spent annually, to remain imprisoned. Its barracks and its weapons rust.

https://x.com/ajmubasher/status/1719664551430390175?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Al-Saqr posted:

thank you kim! north korea is best korea!

South Korean media reported on a member of parliament: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un issued orders to find ways to help the Palestinians.

https://x.com/ajarabic/status/1719678170373222584?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Al-Saqr posted:

jordan tellls israel their embassador wont be allowed back into jordan

https://x.com/alarabytv/status/1719726374892560393?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

more of this plz

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!
If the tank commander used his fancy helmet to see a guy crawling up from behind with an RPG, what then? Does the tank have a machine gun? Do you try to pick off individual fighters with the main turret?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mister Bates posted:

normally you'd have infantry to watch for people doing that, but, as has been repeatedly discussed in this thread, the Israeli army has all but abolished the use of infantry in actual combat situations, using them almost exclusively in a police role against lightly armed or unarmed populations

in theory you'd use drones and cameras mounted on the vehicles to replace the situational awareness that infantry would have previously provided - the newest IDF tanks are even getting fancy super-expensive augmented reality helmets for tank commanders that are supposed to let them see everything around the tank at all times, to help them notice and react to, for example, a guy with an RPG crawling up behind the tank.

the fantasy the IDF has bought into is that of a war in which they risk nothing and suffer no casualties, the belief that it is possible to establish such overwhelming qualitative superiority that you are, not just perceived as invincible, but actually, literally invincible. that every enemy weapon system can be negated or neutralized, that every possible attack can be defended against, that war is a solvable problem.

it's how they reconcile two seemingly contradictory ideas. Israel, as a fascist settler state, is obsessed with violence, bases its national mythology around the righteousness and purifying power of violence, derives its legitimacy as a state from its ability to inflict violence, and assigns value to its citizenry based partly on their willingness to commit violence and their ability to do so. it is a state that exists to wage war and defines itself as a nation of warriors. at the same time, they're so casualty-averse that the consequences of waging war are devastating to national morale and they have almost no societal tolerance for setbacks. a single Israeli soldier lost is a national tragedy, more so than an Israeli civilian death, even. they want to fight, they need to fight, but they can't deal with the inevitable results of that fighting. but what if you didn't have to? what if there was a way to wage war safely?

well luckily for them, there are businessmen willing to sell them technological solutions that promise just that, promise them exactly the kind of war they want, a war with all the glory and all the power, the thrill of triumphing over the hated foe, but without ever having to directly put you or yours at any risk.

and they place their faith in those solutions, because they have to, they have to believe that they work, the viability of Israel as a nation depends on it. so you get them blindly driving unsupported tanks directly into ambushes over and over and over, each time unwilling to entertain the possibility that it won't work.

:hmmyes:

They are just further down this road than the rest of the western militaries, whose politicians all want to do the same thing eventually. I would speculate Israel is more able to do it because they're so heavily subsidized, they're playing with US money and get their basic military needs met for free.

Israel also has a weird thing with the tech industry that colours a lot of the culture (which also hurts the military because everybody with promise goes into fart app development).

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Fell Mood posted:

If the tank commander used his fancy helmet to see a guy crawling up from behind with an RPG, what then? Does the tank have a machine gun? Do you try to pick off individual fighters with the main turret?

yes

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

What happens when you put blood in a sodastream?

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Fell Mood posted:

Well its more for hitting something such as a fleeing child who thought they were in the clear

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Sancho Banana posted:

Coming back from Instagram to say that it turns out I met this guy and forgot. Huh.

wasnt worth remembering anyways

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Retromancer posted:

What happens when you put blood in a sodastream?

Zionist birthing pod

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fell Mood posted:

You accelerate to hopefully create a harder to hit target and hope there isn’t a shallow ravine in front of you that was never there on the VR trainer.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pobrecito posted:

i just gotta say i think this policy is kind of weird and dumb as long as the posts are properly tagged and warned so people can choose whether to view or not.

did we ban videos of cops being pieces of poo poo beating up protesters during the height of the george floyd protestss? banning any possibly upsetting videos because a bunch of freaks liked to jerk off to russians getting killed in ukraine is definitely a choice

whats wrong with your brain

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

more of this plz

https://twitter.com/Sprinter99800/status/1719769552840478998

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Judgy Fucker posted:

All the way. From the River to the Sea.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Fell Mood posted:

So they actually lost at least one of the fancy rear end tanks too,

"These tanks were introduced into service in 2023. They have the most up-to-date technology, such as a 360-degree all-weather camera for constant surveillance. The tanks have a full computer, modern data processing systems, and a modified Active Protection System."

Israel was at one point known for putting lots of machine guns on their tanks and encouraging tank commanders and loaders to ride around unbuttoned (sticking out of the hatch).

However, in the 2000's they started using those plexiglas shields (which are not actually that easy to see through), then cameras, then remote weapon stations, because Israel is a loser crybaby nation.

People not in the military are really sold on these gizmos but what you never see is that often it's like looking through a loving straw, it's not at all like just looking around organically, and of course you can't hear anything. That doesn't sound like a problem but it has to do with situational awareness. Studies have shown over and over that human vision is closely related to hearing. So, you hear the crack of a bullet, you know, instinctively, where to turn your head, and your eyes are kind of guided by subsequent sounds.

They think they can recreate that with loving Boomerang. A bunch of microphones on a pole.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Fell Mood posted:

tanks have machines guns yes, i think israeli ones have more than normal because they're designed with oppressing people in urban areas so they have like one co-axial gun like normal and then 3 or 4 crew served or remote controlled guns on top

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
one thing that still shocks me is that for all the hubub of how technologically advanced israel likes to claim they are its been Hamas who have been far more effective and innovative with high tech stuff like drones and such while israel is as hapless as 1995 russia going into grozny

my 500 million dollar tank was defeated by a 100 dollar drone with an RPG pilebunker round.

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Nov 1, 2023

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

how normal is it for RPG and ATGM users to be within 100 feet of a tank theyre targeting? because aljazeera is currently airing footage released by Qassam and theres shots of them literallt coming out of the ground 100 feet away from merkavas and blowing them up

that's a tactic for getting around active defenses on the tanks. gotta shoot from up close so the countermeasures don't have enough time to activate

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

AnimeIsTrash posted:

whats wrong with your brain

a lot

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Honky Mao posted:

Well its more for hitting something such as a fleeing child who thought they were in the clear

"Wait a minute lieutenant, this terrorist is clearly a fully grown adult! Surely this can't be our target. I shat myself."

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

It dovetails with the writing on Israeli society and military: Israel is both bloodthirsty and casualty intolerant, and so can't use its army, which means it can't hold and occupy terrain, but at the same time it must eliminate any threats - particularly now that its deterrence is gone. A long war, which the IDF can no longer deter through the army, becomes more likely the longer this goes on. Israel also can't keep soldiers mobilized or the economy will collapse.

Israel must therefore primarily use the IAF, and somehow remove the threat without occupation. Therefore, their only path is to bomb Gaza as heavily as possible to drive the civilian population out, as quickly as possible, before things get worse.

I mean, they created the strategic and cultural conditions that locked them into this, but it's interesting to see their own ideology mean literally their only tool of statecraft is the F-16. They can't negotiate, they can't deter, they can't deescalate, but also they lose if there is escalation. They really, only, have the IAF.

:psyduck:

I mean, to be fair, the text (if not necessarily the subtext) of the document is that they want to remove and displace the Palestinians from Gaza, because:

1.) As long as Palestinians are in Gaza, they will resist the conditions of occupation and Israel cannot meaningfully change this

2.) This is the only outcome they feel is a sufficiently big humiliation/punishment for Oct 7. They believe that if they can instill a sufficient sense of "failure" into the Palestinian people, it will have a deterrent effect.

The first point is true, the second point is not. But what really sticks out is their complete failure to assess the broader strategic implications of riling up the entire Arab (and non-Arab) world, + displacing 2 million vengeful Palestinians into neighboring countries whose populace already hates Israel, and whose comprador leadership is already barely clinging on. There is also no meaningful consideration of Hezbollah/Iranian counter-actions.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Sherbert Hoover posted:

they definitely have a lot of smuggling tunnels

Phew, that’s a relief

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

one thing that still shocks me is that for all the hubub of how technologically advanced israel likes to claim they are its been Hamas who have been far more effective and innovative with high tech stuff like drones and such while israel is as hapless as 1995 russia going into grozny

my 500 million dollar tank was defeated by a 100 dollar drone with an RPG pilebunker round.

It's because "technologically advanced" in the west means a contractor with fancy power points. It's the same poo poo with covid air purifiers where state governments bought actual snake oil instead of using the cheap DIY CR boxes that work better than HEPA filters, because one of those had Capital attached to it and the other did not and was therefore primitive and bad.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Pobrecito posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mister Bates posted:

Welp this explains the Iron Dome. Which is running on fumes afaik.