Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama

flashy_mcflash posted:

Was I off the mark in being turned off by Come True, because the girl seemed to be coded way way way younger than the dude and when the sex scene happened it felt super creepy? Or maybe I wasn't paying attention and they were much closer in age?

That ending though, woof.

no, this was what i came away with also. at one point she even confirms, almost to the camera, 'it's okay, i'm 18' or something along those lines. it felt like they only added that line because they did expect the audience would assume she was younger. the movie had a lot of potential, but that scene + the ending really soured me on it.

the 'Final Chapter' Senritsu movie also has a pretty nasty, extended sexual assault bit that is played for laughs (??) that soured me on it pretty bad, but maybe i just have a low tolerance for that kind of stuff.

BLUNDERCATS! noooo fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Justin Godscock posted:

The only movies that really scare me are movies that basically actually trigger something in me that really bothers me. I mean, unpopular opinion but I kind of welcome this because it allows me to self-explore myself a little bit by actually being bothered by something in a film. Kind of a way to examine oneself, you know?

Like when the digestion scene in Nope happens. I find being digested alive to be a very horrifying thing on a visceral level (even the Sarlacc in Return of the Jedi bothered me as a kid). I had to take a break from the movie after that scene.

Theme-wise though nothing gets to me harder than a parent losing a child or a child losing a parent. Hereditary and the light pole scene and Toni Collette's loving screams hosed me up for the rest of the evening. Stephen King said that he considers Pet Semetary his scariest novel because it's the one thing that actually scares him personally.

For Nope, the way it looked wasn't so much as being digested in the traditional sense but more like people were in a meatgrinder made of nylon. Twisting and squeezing till eventually you are ground down and spat out. Don't think the entity really "eats" in the traditional sense.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I want to think this is semi self aware but so much of it is directed with one hand so far. It's crazy that David Bruckner's bit is such bad Eli Roth bullshit considering I gently caress with his features well enough. Guess I'll push through the first one and watch the second one for Safe Haven and then presumably there's nothing else worth seeing even with the 90s/80s ones?
I guess I'm enough of a found footage sucker that I'll watch one of these if they've at least got one good segment each.
I've watched a lot of bottom barrel found footage on tubi so I have a high tolerance for this poo poo and a lot of curiosity but somehow this is already a pain.

If "Viral" is all screenlife I'm onboard for a series of mediocre Unfriendeds though.

VHS94 has Storm Drain which is good and the rest are fine, I remember enjoying them well enough but I had to look up what they were if that tells you how memorable they were. The wrap-around is maybe the worst of the whole series though.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I really like the funeral home bit in 94; it’s very simple and predictable but I think it’s a very effective anthology mood piece despite being kind of overshadowed by Storm Drain. Honestly I think 94 is overall my highest hit-rate in a VHS movie.

I also really liked Siren, the feature length version of Amateur Night.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Can we change the thread title to "Muscular and Involving" please?

Nikumatic posted:

I really like the funeral home bit in 94; it’s very simple and predictable but I think it’s a very effective anthology mood piece despite being kind of overshadowed by Storm Drain. Honestly I think 94 is overall my highest hit-rate in a VHS movie.

I also really liked Siren, the feature length version of Amateur Night.

That funeral home bit was one of my favorites but I wanted more out of it. I felt like the last sequence (while cool) went on too long and would have loved to see some of that runtime spared for the earlier segments.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, “The Subject” is the only one in 94 I could take or leave but I really dug the rest.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Levantine posted:

Can we change the thread title to "Muscular and Involving" please?

That funeral home bit was one of my favorites but I wanted more out of it. I felt like the last sequence (while cool) went on too long and would have loved to see some of that runtime spared for the earlier segments.

I'm on the mobie app so I can't change the thread I'll change when I get home.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Pearl owns, Come True owns

Actual picture of me getting ready to rank horror movies:

can't see eye to eye on that, like where would i put goofy rawhead rex on that ballot

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

can't see eye to eye on that, like where would i put goofy rawhead rex on that ballot

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
>:-|

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I can’t get over how the new Hell House describes where I grew up, Rockland County. I get that everyone in the city considers anywhere else in the state “Upstate” (and they are not entirely wrong), but “out in the country”, “20 miles of dirt road”, “middle of nowhere”, “no cell service”. Rockland is 30 miles from NYC! 3rd most densely populated county in the state outside of the city. Borders Bergen County, NJ a place of nearly a million ppl. Rockland has some state parks (where nobody lives!) that are pretty remote and rural but my god. There are so many actually in the middle of nowhere places in this state to choose from.

And when I look up where they actually film the Hell Houses? Middle of nowhere Pennsylvania. I cannot allow anyone think that I am from Pennsylvania! Also why didn’t they just pick a town? Who just says *blank* county?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

WeaponX posted:

I can’t get over how the new Hell House describes where I grew up, Rockland County. I get that everyone in the city considers anywhere else in the state “Upstate” (and they are not entirely wrong), but “out in the country”, “20 miles of dirt road”, “middle of nowhere”, “no cell service”. Rockland is 30 miles from NYC! 3rd most densely populated county in the state outside of the city. Borders Bergen County, NJ a place of nearly a million ppl. Rockland has some state parks (where nobody lives!) that are pretty remote and rural but my god. There are so many actually in the middle of nowhere places in this state to choose from.

And when I look up where they actually film the Hell Houses? Middle of nowhere Pennsylvania. I cannot allow anyone think that I am from Pennsylvania! Also why didn’t they just pick a town? Who just says *blank* county?

O hey. Ulster county here. Wanna join my Angry About New York State Geography Club?

Wait I thought Hell House was mostly the other, lesser side if the river?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If I have to cross a river to get there, it is in the middle of nowhere

As I live in Brooklyn, that is most places

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

O hey. Ulster county here. Wanna join my Angry About New York State Geography Club?

Wait I thought Hell House was mostly the other, lesser side if the river?

I mean it’s all sorts of confused but they went from saying Rockland once in the first one to over and over again in the new one.

But I get it, a lot of Rockland is the great outdoors and a big tourist spot for nature, and that’s why I love it, but it’s simply not big enough for any of it to be “middle of nowhere”. And if was really the sticks it wouldn’t take 2x as long to go anywhere on the thruway because of the traffic on the Tappen Zee Bridge every morning.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah, my entire experience with Rockland County is a mess of hiking (I like Bear Mountain well enough) and that the new toll booth near Harriman is waaaaaaaaaay better than most of the others.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

WeaponX posted:

I have had all these thoughts (I’m from Long Island and have of course been to/through Rockland County for hiking and stuff) but instead of being annoyed I find it really funny and charming—an irl Rockland County fair would easily be a multimillion dollar affair held just outside Nyack with giant sponsors coming up from the city, not some chintzy midway situation

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Speaking of local movies and geography, I watched Matriarch (2018) for the October challenge and I love how much of a Scottish vibe it has, it feels like it could have been filmed 20 minutes from my house. We do have the advantage here of most major population centers being so packed together that you really can drive half an hour north from anywhere and be in the proper back end of beyond.

It's also just a real good movie if you're in the mood for a particularly :scotland: take on the murderous hick locals genre.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I didn't do it for the challenge since it's more of an exploitation than a straight up horror and I wanted to stick to stuff that was closer to horror even when adjacent like Petey Wheatstraw, but I'm really excited to finally watch Thrust! this month. It was filmed in and around Dayton and stars a bunch of people I knew from being involved in my local wrestling scene a few years ago, and it even premiered at the local arthouse theater. I'm expecting trash but I hope it's at least fun trash with some local jokes.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

I have had all these thoughts (I’m from Long Island and have of course been to/through Rockland County for hiking and stuff) but instead of being annoyed I find it really funny and charming—an irl Rockland County fair would easily be a multimillion dollar affair held just outside Nyack with giant sponsors coming up from the city, not some chintzy midway situation

Lol yes I was dying at the “county fair”. I loving wish! But you are right, I should be happy we at least have a horror film. A realistic Rockland horror film would be about high taxation despite poor infrastructure and school funding. And it wouldn’t take place in a old colonial mansion, it would be a lovely McMansion with multiple F-150 double cabs parked out front.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Anything west of the Hudson is basically Idaho.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 2, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

WeaponX posted:

Lol yes I was dying at the “county fair”. I loving wish! But you are right, I should be happy we at least have a horror film. A realistic Rockland horror film would be about high taxation despite poor infrastructure and school funding. And it wouldn’t take place in a old colonial mansion, it would be a lovely McMansion with multiple F-150 double cabs parked out front.

Now I want a movie about a McMansion haunted by the souls of everyone who was disenfranchised by its construction.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Anything east of the Hudson is basically Idaho.

Youdaho

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

computer angel posted:

Does anyone get legitimately scared by horror movies anymore? I try to set the correct atmosphere, dark room, no distractions, alone, yet I still feel I'm chasing the dragon. When I was a teenager I watched Event Horizon and it haunted me for weeks, same with Silent Hill, couldn't shower with my eyes closed type thing. Those were good times.

Hereditary stuck with me for days but that’s the last thing I can remember. There’s lots of stuff that makes me cringe or squirm in the moment, though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

If I have to cross a river to get there, it is in the middle of nowhere

Are you a Dracula

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'd love to see a horror movie set in a legendarily awful McMansion. You try to climb a wall to get away from the killer and the cheap foam cladding just falls off. Someone has to get chased across a roof with two dozen different pitches. Someone falls off a balconette and gets impaled on an unnecessary cupola.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I'd love to see a horror movie set in a legendarily awful McMansion. You try to climb a wall to get away from the killer and the cheap foam cladding just falls off. Someone has to get chased across a roof with two dozen different pitches. Someone falls off a balconette and gets impaled on an unnecessary cupola.

They keep trying to barricade those lovely hollow core doors that are just two pieces of lauan.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Bodies Bodies Bodies shoulda had more of this

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Hereditary stuck with me for days but that’s the last thing I can remember. There’s lots of stuff that makes me cringe or squirm in the moment, though.

yeah Hereditary is my go-to example of a "recent" film that scared me, my heartrate was elevated for a good hour after I left the theater. Saw it a second time with a friend a week later and it was still effective.

I definitely still get scared at movies often though. Not like "keep the lights on all night" scared but definitely scared in the moment and sometimes it'll stick with me for a bit. It's part of why I like horror so much, it's fun being scared.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

flashy_mcflash posted:

Was I off the mark in being turned off by Come True, because the girl seemed to be coded way way way younger than the dude and when the sex scene happened it felt super creepy? Or maybe I wasn't paying attention and they were much closer in age?

That ending though, woof.

There's a lot there about inappropriate fantasies but either way he's pretty bluntly the villain of the film and grossly manipulative start to finish.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

gey muckle mowser posted:

yeah Hereditary is my go-to example of a "recent" film that scared me, my heartrate was elevated for a good hour after I left the theater. Saw it a second time with a friend a week later and it was still effective.

I definitely still get scared at movies often though. Not like "keep the lights on all night" scared but definitely scared in the moment and sometimes it'll stick with me for a bit. It's part of why I like horror so much, it's fun being scared.

What scared me most about Hereditary was how, like I mentioned a few pages ago I get auditory hallucinations as I'm falling asleep a lot, and for a few days I'd hear Charlie's tongue click while I was falling asleep and it'd freak me out. Obviously knew it wasn't real but still.

Any kind of horror that uses small sounds that could be imaginary, or could just be the house creaking, always freak me out pretty good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Halloween Jack posted:

I love this idea. It's so evocative. I can see a victim running on one of those spanish clay roofs and the whole thing just crumbles under their feet. Fall, get impaled on some lovely lawn stuff. Hold the shot for 20 seconds and more crumbled clay tiles fall on their body. A script could have such a good time with this.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Null of Undefined posted:

What scared me most about Hereditary was how, like I mentioned a few pages ago I get auditory hallucinations as I'm falling asleep a lot, and for a few days I'd hear Charlie's tongue click while I was falling asleep and it'd freak me out. Obviously knew it wasn't real but still.

Any kind of horror that uses small sounds that could be imaginary, or could just be the house creaking, always freak me out pretty good.

The far and away creepiest part of Suicide Club was how there's a kid on the phone at a few points who ends every one of his sentence by clearing his throat. I don't know what it was but it just made my skin crawl.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There should be a horror movie about someone moving into a new house and the horror is that their interest rate is goddamn 8 percent.

Like seriously just gently caress having to buy a home in this market.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I love this idea. It's so evocative. I can see a victim running on one of those spanish clay roofs and the whole thing just crumbles under their feet. Fall, get impaled on some lovely lawn stuff. Hold the shot for 20 seconds and more crumbled clay tiles fall on their body. A script could have such a good time with this.
Basically all the "house is falling apart" bits from Arrested Development, but with murder.

When I was looking at houses, there was one very memorable one. It was hard to think about how to use the space, because they'd turned the whole downstairs den/bonus room area into a sprawling master bedroom. The actual master bedroom was reserved for a truly enviable collection of Red Army memorabilia.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They made that movie its called Money Pit and it stars Tom Hanks.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Halloween Jack posted:

Basically all the "house is falling apart" bits from Arrested Development, but with murder.

When I was looking at houses, there was one very memorable one. It was hard to think about how to use the space, because they'd turned the whole downstairs den/bonus room area into a sprawling master bedroom. The actual master bedroom was reserved for a truly enviable collection of Red Army memorabilia.

The way to use that space seems pretty obvious; start collecting Red Army memorabilia.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pussy Quipped posted:

I saw the Terrifier 2 re-release in theaters last night and it owns. Got a little teaser for #3 at the end and a cool promo poster. Art for President.

The teaser was funny. The hard cut from art to him sitting was great lol

Disappointed in the crowd though. Good turn out but come on horror fans have some fun. Only me and this lady next to me were laughing lol

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I can’t believe I’m saying this but…the new exorcist is not a garbage fire that critics made it out to be

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I can’t believe I’m saying this but…the new exorcist is not a garbage fire that critics made it out to be

Yeah it's a perfectly serviceable possession movie. It was doomed to get poo poo on by people though because there's nothing the horror community loves more than being angry at movies, and a sequel to a beloved movie is the perfect target for that sort of performant indignation. "This is TERRIBLE and I'm not just saying that because I saw The Exorcist at age 12 and this sequel at age 35"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Groverhaus on Haunted Hill

(or)

The Groverhaus That Dripped Blood