Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Snooze Cruise posted:

Pearl is extremely good. I mention this every time but Mia Goth captures that feeling of desperation when the mask slips after a meltdown perfectly. Its very relatable despite all the murderin'.

there's something in that performance that you can only get once you've recognized your own shortcomings because that pain is coming out of somewhere deep. there's acting, but then there's 'acting' and she was wrenching on something in there was rough. like maybe it only works if you have ever put what you believe is your entire being into something and get nothing back on it on return. its like someone pulling your guts out slowly.

https://x.com/_Art_The_Clown_/status/1719989896457175445?s=20
If you missed the Terrifier 2 screening here's the Terrifier 3 teaser.

dorium fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
We had a playdate for my oldest kid at this absolute shitshow of modern construction. The outside of the house was just a big rectangle with ugly cladding, looked like a giant shipping container. The majority of the first floor was open concept rectangle with a hard floor and floor to ceiling windows that was unreasonably loud and echoey, the kids' play area was at the top of a gargantuan staircase that led to the basement and garage with no barrier so I hope you like your kids falling down the stairs. There was a half bath off the living area with a floor-to ceiling window next to the toilet, with no curtain, that was immediately next to the front door so anyone walking up would get a full view of you making GBS threads. There was also a guest room off the living space that had a full bathroom with the sort of no tub, no enclosure shower in the middle of the room. It also had floor to ceiling windows for an entire wall. At ground level. With no curtains. Overlooking the side yard.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Barricade the door to slow the killer down and he just comes straight through the lovely drywall, like the Kool Aid Man.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

The teaser was funny. The hard cut from art to him sitting was great lol

Disappointed in the crowd though. Good turn out but come on horror fans have some fun. Only me and this lady next to me were laughing lol

I went with my cousin and we were the only people in the theater besides one other dude by himself but we were hootin’ and hollering the whole time.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Xiahou Dun posted:

Should I maybe give that a shot? I’m not super into King, but I do love Liz Caplan.
Watch The Pitts first. You get Dylan Baker as a bonus, and you can find all seven episodes on Youtube.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I'd love to see a horror movie set in a legendarily awful McMansion. You try to climb a wall to get away from the killer and the cheap foam cladding just falls off. Someone has to get chased across a roof with two dozen different pitches. Someone falls off a balconette and gets impaled on an unnecessary cupola.

Someone gets crushed by the “Live” section of an oversized “Live Laugh Love” wall decoration.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

WeaponX posted:

Someone gets crushed by the “Live” section of an oversized “Live Laugh Love” wall decoration.

Die Laugh Love is your title, easy.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I have to admit making Terrifier 3 a Christmas horror movie is just perfect. We need more of those in general as well.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The “people are gonna get mad at us!” comments from the filmmakers remind me of the joker guys doing the same thing during their promo campaign.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Part of the fun of Terrifier 2 was the barf bag bit. It's just some goofy marketing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Justin Godscock posted:

I have to admit making Terrifier 3 a Christmas horror movie is just perfect. We need more of those in general as well.

Yea I'm not a Terrifier guy in general, kinda ready to be done with those movies but I can't ever complain about more holiday themed horror. I'd definitely feel more positively about the series if they hit a bunch of holidays with the next few sequels. Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day, Easter, whatever.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Really dig down into it. Arbor day gives you chainsaws, wood chippers, falling logs...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually can't recall if there is a Arbor day horror movie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Old creaky manisons are overdone for haunted houses.

Wanna see more ghost films set in old decaying social housing or brand new apartment blocks that are somehow already crumbling because the contractor cut so many corners. Or heck a ghost story set in a trendy Tiny House, maybe the tiny house is coincidentally built on the site of a hanging tree or something.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'm looking forward to the Art in Space movie. Per the rules set by Hellraiser, Leprechaun and Friday the 13th that can happen between the Fourth or Tenth film. So we've got time.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Old creaky manisons are overdone for haunted houses.

Wanna see more ghost films set in old decaying social housing or brand new apartment blocks that are somehow already crumbling because the contractor cut so many corners. Or heck a ghost story set in a trendy Tiny House, maybe the tiny house is coincidentally built on the site of a hanging tree or something.

You should watch His House if you haven't already, it's exactly what you're looking for.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I actually can't recall if there is a Arbor day horror movie.

is Treevenge set on Arbor day? never seen it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_holiday_horror_films

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
The Happening should be an honorary Arbor Day movie at least.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Imdb tells me there is a horror movie named Arbor Day that came out 1990 but it doesn't seem that it takes place on Arbor Day.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'm not a Terrifier guy in general, kinda ready to be done with those movies but I can't ever complain about more holiday themed horror. I'd definitely feel more positively about the series if they hit a bunch of holidays with the next few sequels. Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day, Easter, whatever.

this was the premise for the Hulu series Into the Dark—each monthly episode was an original horror film themed after a holiday in that month. were they all good? gently caress no! but most of them are watchable, and it seemed like a great opportunity for actors, writers, and directors.

sometimes they picked weird holidays too, like Pet Appreciation Week (first full week in June) or April Fools’ Day.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

this was the premise for the Hulu series Into the Dark—each monthly episode was an original horror film themed after a holiday in that month. were they all good? gently caress no! but most of them are watchable, and it seemed like a great opportunity for actors, writers, and directors.

sometimes they picked weird holidays too, like Pet Appreciation Week (first full week in June) or April Fools’ Day.

The Hulu movies were not all winners but I can honestly say I didn't hate any of them. And there are some real gems in there too. The Body and Nasty Piece of Work (RIP Julian Sands) were among my favorites.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I think about New Year, New You, the Sophia Takal New Year’s slasher about the sociopathy of some poorly-considered self-care narratives, a LOT

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

I think about New Year, New You, the Sophia Takal New Year’s slasher about the sociopathy of some poorly-considered self-care narratives, a LOT

Yeah that one went a LOT harder than I was expecting.

Speaking of going hard, I rewatched Evil Dead 2013. I realized I hadn't seen it since it came out so it was one of our Halloween Night watches. What a great movie. It's fantastically shot and lit, the performances are all great, the injuries/kills are all top tier. Just a fantastic use of an hour and a half.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

The “people are gonna get mad at us!” comments from the filmmakers remind me of the joker guys doing the same thing during their promo campaign.

People are mad at the other movies too. So he’s not wrong. Art just gets people fired up

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Die Laugh Love is your title, easy.

Die, Scream, Hate

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

You should watch His House if you haven't already, it's exactly what you're looking for.

Man His House is such a gut punch movie and the atmosphere is so heavy. Wunmi Mosaku kills it in that movie and I really wish she'd get more work than acting across from the Neon Demon girl in Lovecraft Country or being a bit speaking part in some marvel movie.

She also voices a character in Scavenger's Reign which might qualify as horror due to all the alien goop

Doltos fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 2, 2023

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Will Chapelwaite get a second season? Some of the acting was DIRE but I enjoyed it overall. Bit weird with all the vamps though, since iirc the short story was exclusively worm focused?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Doltos posted:

She also voices a character in Scavenger's Reign which might qualify as horror due to all the alien goop

She's absolutely the standout voice actor on the show. Everyone is good, but I constantly found myself impressed by her as a VA. There's a ton of nuance to her performance.

Also, everyone watch Scavengers Regin, one of the best shows I've seen in ages. Just terrific all around. Art direction, animation, acting, characters, writing, plotting, pacing, and yes, tons of gnarly horror bits.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

feedmyleg posted:

She's absolutely the standout voice actor on the show. Everyone is good, but I constantly found myself impressed by her as a VA. There's a ton of nuance to her performance.

Also, everyone watch Scavengers Regin, one of the best shows I've seen in ages. Just terrific all around. Art direction, animation, acting, characters, writing, plotting, pacing, and yes, tons of gnarly horror bits.

I'm terrible at picking out VA's and I was like god everyone sucks at VA in this show except this girl who is it oh

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Disposable Scud posted:

Will Chapelwaite get a second season? Some of the acting was DIRE but I enjoyed it overall. Bit weird with all the vamps though, since iirc the short story was exclusively worm focused?

It apparently did, but I don't know if it ever actually started filming (or where the hell they go with it, s1 was pretty contained)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hollismason posted:

They made that movie its called Money Pit and it stars Tom Hanks.

That's right, lol.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone seen Carrion? It's pretty short, and it's on Tubi. Curious if anybody had thoughts.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

being a bit speaking part in some marvel movie.

She's been a supporting character in almost every episode of Loki, which is like the one Disney Marvel show I still have any interest in watching

(aside from Daredevil but that's neither here nor there)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Opopanax posted:

It apparently did, but I don't know if it ever actually started filming (or where the hell they go with it, s1 was pretty contained)

Yeah, it got renewed last year. No update since, I think the likeliest thing is the strikes halted some part (production or distribution plans), much like COVID halted season 1's production

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

I can’t believe I’m saying this but…the new exorcist is not a garbage fire that critics made it out to be

I’ll go a step further and say I loved it. I loved the way they took it from a decisively Catholic movie to an ecumenical film about the concept of “faith” and “religion” as the strength of community and family helping and believing in each other. They put Santeria into an Exorcist sequel.

I hope David Gordon Green and Danny McBride just make weirdly thoughtful sequels for classic horrors forever.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is the Nightflyers series fun for some dumb sci-fi horror?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

The worst discovery to make as a fan of the genre is framing. The second I figured out that if someone is on one side of a shot and there's an empty spot to the other side something def is gonna happen on that side things no longer became scary. Same whenever someone walks away from the group of people and there's blocking on one side of them. 10 times out of 10 they get dragged off to that side of the shot.

I feel like sometimes filmmakers play with that, though- like there'll be a shot like that and you're EXPECTING the killer to leap out there, but no, it cuts to another shot, and THEN the killer leaps out of somewhere else. It's all in the misdirection.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

There should be a horror movie about someone moving into a new house and the horror is that their interest rate is goddamn 8 percent.

There already is one - the original Amityville Horror. A lot of the early tension is ratcheted up by George Lutz having bought a house that he can barely afford despite it being a bargain because of its history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Long Island moment