Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mr. Nice! posted:

ai.exe and ai.dll from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\vfs\ProgramFilesCommonX64\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE16

here's the ms article about it when i started digging. i only figured it out because my video card dashboard told me i had 4200 hours of alien isolation played.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...86fe463e?page=1

followup on this. ai.exe and ai.dll were reinstalled with an update in september. i deleted them again.

i really hope there's a way to opt out of this ai poo poo integration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

followup on this. ai.exe and ai.dll were reinstalled with an update in september. i deleted them again.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a Bing Chat stamping on a human face— forever.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

how does Microsoft with its trillions of dollars have a web upload interface in sharepoint that’s 1000x worse than mega.nz ?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

how does Microsoft with its trillions of dollars have a web upload interface in sharepoint that’s 1000x worse than mega.nz ?

I wonder what kim dotcom is up to these days. You don't hear about him much anymore.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

I wonder what kim dotcom is up to these days. You don't hear about him much anymore.

he basically just makes tweets sucking off despots or amplifying conspiracy theories these days

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a Bing Chat stamping on a human face— forever.

This post was just :kiss:
You are a good poster and I like and want you posting.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Internet Old One posted:

This post was just :kiss:
You are a good poster and I like and want you posting.

thanks op. I try :tipshat:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

there is, it's called open office.

this is microsoft's thing now, an endless stream of lovely features no one asked for, wedged into every product they make in the most obtrusive ways possible. you can't disable the "ai" features because the backend is used for poo poo like auto-labelling and caption generation and templates, and god knows what else. if you kill it those features just stop working until the next update where they replace all the components

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

open office is: 1) absolute garbage; 2) irrelevant as probably the functionality being perfect would do no good as the reason people use office isn't the isolated applications features

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
oh yes, i'm not suggesting anyone try to use open office for anything

there are no practical alternatives to microsoft office unless you're willing to go all in on gsuite, which is worse in every possible way

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
oh yeah, i know i'm hosed. i teach a statistics in excel class, for example.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

microsoft office should really just be microsoft excel, the only one of the applications that does something actually useful

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I love that Microsoft outlook thinks I’m misspelling the last name of the doctor I’m emailing in the body of the email.

I swear to god spell check used to be smarter and would ignore names if it was in something like:

Hi Dr. [Last Name],

not to mention the name is in the “to:” field itself

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is infuriating that spell check has somehow mostly gotten worse in the last 20 years. features added: it now upcases trademarks, big stuff!

ironically it is probably the lowest-hanging fruit of the ai stuff though, as for all its other faults a language model is *really* good at contextually judging whether a word, even an entirely made-up one, makes sense in context or not.

(e.g. for sure a language model would prefer to suggest the correct spelling of the last name over whatever else simply because it is there to be observed)

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

infernal machines posted:

oh yes, i'm not suggesting anyone try to use open office for anything

there are no practical alternatives to microsoft office unless you're willing to go all in on gsuite, which is worse in every possible way

i really like gsuite but it is a google product and ergo should be avoided

mystes
May 31, 2006

OpenOffice hasn't been in development for like a decade but I assume people saying OpenOffice mean Libreoffice

I'm not sure I would recommend libreoffice since I've been burned by problems with its office compatibilty but GSuite has probably a million times worse office compatibility than libreoffice

I guess Gsuite is probably ok if it has all the features you need and you only need to export office files and never import them

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 2, 2023

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

because i am an idiot i use linux at work, which, as a university, does o365 throughout. and honestly, i think the compatibility is the least of my issues with libreoffice. this is partially through me having managed to violently suppress the self-loathing i feel for every document looking wrong, and every person i interact with being able to tell that i am putting in extra effort (using garbage) to be the one causing formatting to now and then be poo poo. but having suppressed the loathing i can live with that.

libreoffice is just garbage to use even in a reality where it was the only thing though. wasted an hour of my life and a lot of sheets of paper today trying to make it print a table in a useful way (i.e. scale so the columns fit), a huge mix of missing features and outright bugs messing me up.

and that is just one of a billion examples, each one similarly tiny, but *mostly* microsoft office does not do those fuckups.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 2, 2023

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also to be 100% clear i hate open-/libreoffice also for the much more simple reason that it is the poster-child for the impulse "lets do open source to create a shittier version of something incredibly mundane and dull", almost all corporate in this instance, but i have zero love for corporate open source lovely software clone gambles.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mystes posted:

OpenOffice hasn't been in development for like a decade but I assume people saying OpenOffice mean Libreoffice

thanks rms

git apologist posted:

i really like gsuite but it is a google product and ergo should be avoided

it's worse than office if you expect a feature to exist for any length of time. generally the places i see it used are startups staffed by people too young to remember the internet before google and for some reason, a workgroup within a major national telecom

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

because i am an idiot i use linux at work, which, as a university, does o365 throughout. and honestly, i think the compatibility is the least of my issues with libreoffice. this is partially through me having managed to violently suppress the self-loathing i feel for every document looking wrong, and every person i interact with being able to tell that i am putting in extra effort (using garbage) to be the one causing formatting to now and then be poo poo. but having suppressed the loathing i can live with that.

libreoffice is just garbage to use even in a reality where it was the only thing though. wasted an hour of my life and a lot of sheets of paper today trying to make it print a table in a useful way (i.e. scale so the columns fit), a huge mix of missing features and outright bugs messing me up.

and that is just one of a billion examples, each one similarly tiny, but *mostly* microsoft office does not do those fuckups.

i had a client try to switch their entire workflow to oss back in ~2006 or so and the entire process was hilariously hosed, absolutely nothing, from top to bottom, worked. not just at first, it never worked, for the three or so years they remained as a company, until the partnership dissolved. none of this was my mess, but i was a "computer guy" the partners knew and would occasionally be tasked with trying to fix something the brain genius that sold them on the system couldn't figure out.

as far as i can tell, very little has changed the minute you get a use case beyond "writing more linux software"

mystes
May 31, 2006

also to be 100% clear i hate open-/libreoffice also for the much more simple reason that it is the poster-child for the impulse "lets do open source to create a shittier version of something incredibly mundane and dull", almost all corporate in this instance, but i have zero love for corporate open source lovely software clone gambles.
I don't think the problem is it being "corporate". The problem is that the number one feature that everyone wants in an office suite is compatibility with Office, and in order to attempt round trip compatibility with Office, you have to copy all of its mistakes, making it impossible to make something that's actually better, so it's a constant struggle to maintain compatibility while being inevitably doomed to be slightly shittier version of Office.

It's not just libreoffice either. If you want to make an office suite your options are either to try to be compatible with word and be lovely or make a clean break in which case nobody will use your software because they need compatibility, so most sane people just don't try to make an office suite at all.

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 3, 2023

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/2/23944124/microsoft-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-free-employee-removed

lmao microsoft is for whatever reason removing the free perk of a $15/month sub to all its employees

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

infernal machines posted:

it's worse than office if you expect a feature to exist for any length of time. generally the places i see it used are startups staffed by people too young to remember the internet before google and for some reason, a workgroup within a major national telecom

the company i work for uses gsuite and tbh most people like it fine, the major exceptions being finance and accounting, which... fair. we get them office licenses

the live collaboration features are actually very good, and if you’re a company who does not live and die by office productivity suite output, and don’t care about office compatibility, it’s honestly pretty good

i get the “but it’s google” thing and all, but gsuite is like the one product they actually sell for real money so i doubt it’ll disappear (famous last words)

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Can’t you just use office online?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nobody writes an office suite for fun and the value prop for creating a corporate-backed oss office suite isn't there either, it's like launching a multi-billion dollar startup to revolutionize printers or something. office license pricing is "reasonable" more or less so companies put up with it.

what i don't get is why a bunch of engineering firms don't all get together and make their own cad system so that they can tell autodesk to go pound sand. or idk a bunch of graphic design shops make their own replacement for photoshop so that they can tell adobe to go do one. or something. fair enough, cad packages are used to design bridges and stuff so there's some legal liability there (although good luck proving that autodesk is at fault for a bridge collapsing in a court of law, they have way more lawyers than you) but come on, photoshop? an alternative that is slow and unresponsive and crashes occasionally but mostly works (i.e. isn't krita or gimp) would probably be good enough.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

what i don't get is why a bunch of engineering firms don't all get together and make their own cad system so that they can tell autodesk to go pound sand. or idk a bunch of graphic design shops make their own replacement for photoshop so that they can tell adobe to go do one. or something. fair enough, cad packages are used to design bridges and stuff so there's some legal liability there (although good luck proving that autodesk is at fault for a bridge collapsing in a court of law, they have way more lawyers than you) but come on, photoshop? an alternative that is slow and unresponsive and crashes occasionally but mostly works (i.e. isn't krita or gimp) would probably be good enough.

there's a lot of multi-platform cad software out there. real, commercial stuff, not someone's spare time hobby project (bricscad for example). the problem is that autocad has been around for a long, long time, and trying to break the inertia is like rolling a boulder-sized lump of lead uphill

e: which isn't to say that it can't be done. it's not unusual to see blender used in places where, a decade ago, you wouldn't have seen anything other than 3dsmax or maya

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 3, 2023

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

nobody writes an office suite for fun and the value prop for creating a corporate-backed oss office suite isn't there either, it's like launching a multi-billion dollar startup to revolutionize printers or something. office license pricing is "reasonable" more or less so companies put up with it.

just use pixelmator op

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
its really hard to break an entrenched monopoly, especially in a space where there isnt much potential for growth (like office suites). every percentage point of market share you earn has to be ripped away from the dominant player

indesign replacing quark as the primary software for publishing is about the only example i can think of, and that was only possible because quark fumbled the ball in the most spectacular way imaginable

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/2/23944124/microsoft-xbox-game-pass-ultimate-free-employee-removed

lmao microsoft is for whatever reason removing the free perk of a $15/month sub to all its employees

there's no time to play games when you could be spending your evenings adding more bing buttons to windows

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bing bong

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

Pinterest Mom posted:

lmao Microsoft is for whatever reason removing the free perk of a $15/month sub to all its employees

I heard that Valve employees still get 90% off on Steam games

take that, MSFT

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

when i worked in online music distribution, we didnt get poo poo

but my predecessor wrote a testing script that copied all raw assets for a sku to local storage, so i tested that a bunch

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pinterest Mom posted:

I mean it's still probably over a million a year in theoretical costs, if everyone uses it

whether or not that's meaningful, well, our multinational only pays for office for managers and admin, so they aren't alone at least

e: but then they also bought us laptops for 10k each (which featured in an LTT YouTube video "the laptop you want your boss to buy for you" or something like that) with the reasoning of, eh, it has enough ram for your IDE/VMs - nevermind that most of the cost is one of the industrial nvidia GPUs which we have zero use for

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 3, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Private Speech posted:

I mean it's still probably over a million a year in theoretical costs, if everyone uses it

whether or not that's meaningful, well, our multinational only pays for office for managers and admin, so they aren't alone at least

e: but then they also bought us laptops for 10k each (which featured in an LTT YouTube video "the laptop you want your boss to buy for you" or something like that) with the reasoning of, eh, it has enough ram for your IDE/VMs - nevermind that most of the cost is one of the industrial nvidia GPUs which we have zero use for

wtf is a 10k laptop

the most expensive current macbook appears to be an already ridiculous 7.2k maxed out (i didnt add the software titles)

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Private Speech posted:

so uh what’s the battery life like on a monster like that

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

I've only ever used it plugged in really for WFH or docked in the office, maybe for a short while here and there, but I think it's sub 2 hours

it's mostly the quadro GPU making up the cost, though there's a colour accurate 4k HDR monitor too. I think apple doesn't do expensive gpus in general (not that they are any use for me)

not this exact one, but it's this: https://youtu.be/-TWj-biXpLo

to be clear it was only our dev team that I'm aware (though maybe it was originally for the UI people and we ended up piggybacking or some such, since it was mentioned it's on some approved list), but it's very indicative of the general attitude

before that it was surface books, which is funny because I have one myself that I bought with my own money

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 4, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i just reached for apple as the platonic "expensive laptop"

also is that dude for real, hes really annoying

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I still remember my coworker going "well I know what the most expensive thing in my house is now for contents insurance"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Carthag Tuek posted:

i just reached for apple as the platonic "expensive laptop"

also is that dude for real, hes really annoying

yeah it's one of the biggest tech youtube channels but they are like that

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i got a call from insurance the other day, wanted to know if i had married or gotten children or bought a car. nope. alright fine, no change. then they charged me 300dkk (like 50 bucks) but im gonna get into what that charge means. im gonna annoy the poo poo outta them