Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

After making him laugh, Takaba convinces Kenjaku to stop his schemes and that there are other funny and good things in life beyond "doing some weird experiment with the lives of everyone in Japan." They become comedy partners.

Unironically want that to happen.

Edit: "But he did lots of murders" I hear you say. But Choso also slaughtered a ton of innocent people and is now (relatively) friendly with the cast.

awed by Takaba, he abandons the culling game and establishes a binding vow to accomplish the same thing by making all of Japan laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Farg posted:

we're so back

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's funny how Takaba would probably have had an easier time dealing with Sukuna than Kenjaku, but managed to evolve as a person because he met Kenjaku.

Nah, what's saving Takaba here is that Kenjaku's cursed spirits are moving fast enough for him to process them into a joke. Sukuna's attacks are invisible and incredibly fast to deploy so I doubt Takaba could come up with enough punchlines in his mind to counter every attack and all it takes is one and he's dead. Plus, since losing confidence will also halt his cursed technique. Being faced with the embodiment of carnage and death will absolutely get Takaba spooked enough to lose his sense of humor and then he's insta-gibbed.

Kenjaku is the perfect opponent here.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I feel like Kenjaku’s appreciation of comedy might make Takaba’s technique more effective. 1,000 years of esoteric knowledge starting to backfire

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Nah, what's saving Takaba here is that Kenjaku's cursed spirits are moving fast enough for him to process them into a joke. Sukuna's attacks are invisible and incredibly fast to deploy so I doubt Takaba could come up with enough punchlines in his mind to counter every attack and all it takes is one and he's dead. Plus, since losing confidence will also halt his cursed technique. Being faced with the embodiment of carnage and death will absolutely get Takaba spooked enough to lose his sense of humor and then he's insta-gibbed.

Kenjaku is the perfect opponent here.

I feel like you're underestimating Takaba considering he survived literal lightning already. Sukuna cuts him up? He simply starts doing a Buggy from One Piece routine, floating around and putting a straw hat on Sukuna.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I feel like you're underestimating Takaba considering he survived literal lightning already. Sukuna cuts him up? He simply starts doing a Buggy from One Piece routine, floating around and putting a straw hat on Sukuna.

Sukuna cuts him and his clothes fall off and he calls Sukuna a baka pervo and sukuna dies from a nose bleed

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 3, 2023

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Since Takaba doesn't understand his own technique couldn't you basically convince him something would be funny enough that he'd do it and make it real? I dunno if he's the kind of guy who would consider it hack to take a joke queue from someone else or not.

If anyone had a mind to say it right when Gojo died could you have wrapped this up by saying "man, you know what would be really funny right now? If after this insanely hyped up fight between the strongest, you just interrupted Sukuna with a rider kick and completely loving obliterated him in one hit." If Takaba thought it'd be a funny joke?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

stuker posted:

awed by Takaba, he abandons the culling game and establishes a binding vow to accomplish the same thing by making all of Japan laugh

everyone becomes tengen and takaba only has one person to make laugh

yum posted:

I feel like Kenjaku’s appreciation of comedy might make Takaba’s technique more effective. 1,000 years of esoteric knowledge starting to backfire

Getting roped into someones CT makes it work better, yes.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Fabricated posted:

Since Takaba doesn't understand his own technique couldn't you basically convince him something would be funny enough that he'd do it and make it real? I dunno if he's the kind of guy who would consider it hack to take a joke queue from someone else or not.

If anyone had a mind to say it right when Gojo died could you have wrapped this up by saying "man, you know what would be really funny right now? If after this insanely hyped up fight between the strongest, you just interrupted Sukuna with a rider kick and completely loving obliterated him in one hit." If Takaba thought it'd be a funny joke?

Seems entirely possible, but it seems like he has to come up with the joke for his CT to work, so I think option 1 wouldn't really work. It's all about his internal barometer for comedy, dunno that he'd think someone elses joke is funny enough for him. He'd have to file it away and add his own schtick to it, which makes the real time application I think harder/impossible for him to pull off based on how he's been presented.

But i do think the second could be plausible, I just wouldn't underestimate Sukuna's ability to tank all sort of poo poo no matter how definitive it feels like it would be to him.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I think you are overestimating him here. He had a chance to see a giant kaiju and survived offscreen which right now isn't a great thing to rely on given we're still not sure why Gojo himself didn't have a reaction to Sukuna's offscreen void slice. Beyond that if Takaba being confronted with one corpse could further shake him after his jokes got dismantled; imagine how he would fare in the aftermath of Gojo dying against a sorceror who isn't going to dismantle his jokes but other people around him as well.

Takaba absolutely should not fight Sukuna as he was, but maybe as he'll be after fighting Kenjaku because he was primed to have a moment of wavering in the face of someone his jokes wouldn't land with or would otherwise not react too in a way he could bounce off of. If anything he would fight Sukuna and then we'd get some surreal moment where Takaba is standing on a stage and Sukuna is sitting in the audience telling him he should have focused on only making himself laugh as has been the pattern so far.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Takaba avoided being shot by bullets so there has to be some unconscious effort to his CT. It just depends on his current confidence in being funny. He reacted to being blown up too, its not like he could know he was about to get exploded.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Kenny should just try to explain to him how his technique works

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
They are going to become best of friends

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Takaba avoided being shot by bullets so there has to be some unconscious effort to his CT. It just depends on his current confidence in being funny. He reacted to being blown up too, its not like he could know he was about to get exploded.

He could have heard or seen the explosions that happened on the upper floor of that apartment complex but otherwise the joke wouldn't rely on there being an explosion. Just that whatever attack was going to happen from a guy spitting a tooth at another would deal comical damage to Takaba. I do see your point about a subconscious element but that moment was clearly intentional on his part.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Anyone who is enjoying this and is curious about Japanese comedy might consider trying “Show-ha Shoten!” a try for manzai or “Akane-banashi” for rakugo.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I cannot believe that this fight is legitimately more hype than Gojo vs Sukuna, but here we are.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Apocron posted:

Anyone who is enjoying this and is curious about Japanese comedy might consider trying “Show-ha Shoten!” a try for manzai or “Akane-banashi” for rakugo.

Given the curse technique, I was expecting a meta joke and have a random character from Show-ha Shoten show up.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I cannot believe that this fight is legitimately more hype than Gojo vs Sukuna, but here we are.

It helps that Takaba is kinda relatable, especially with this latest chapter.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I don't think it's more hype. That entire fight was incredible until the last possible moment. But Kenjaku vs Takaba is probably going to work out because the goal isn't to kill Kenjaku but to really just stall him. Takaba isn't about murdering folks and Kenjaku shouldn't be able to kill him at the end of the day now that Takaba's got his 2nd wind back. The fact that it will devolve into a slapstick routine is just pleasing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Apocron posted:

Both those are great. Show-ha Shoten is probably my favorite, but that's just because I like the subject matter a bit more, while Rakugo feels more "abstract" and like I'm relying on the text to tell me what the characters are doing right and wrong.

Also, one of Show-ha Shoten's protagonists is "literally Okarun from Dandadan"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

PringleCreamEgg posted:

It's not at all. Gojo vs Sukuna was sooo good :allears:

But I like it as a curiosity because Takaba is such a weird character and it's always fun to pit joke characters against big villains. I just hope he doesn't get too dunked on. In fact my hope is that Takaba will get to force Kenjaku into some silly stuff to stall him but at the end neither guy dies

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 6, 2023

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Brought To You By posted:

I don't think it's more hype. That entire fight was incredible until the last possible moment. But Kenjaku vs Takaba is probably going to work out because the goal isn't to kill Kenjaku but to really just stall him. Takaba isn't about murdering folks and Kenjaku shouldn't be able to kill him at the end of the day now that Takaba's got his 2nd wind back. The fact that it will devolve into a slapstick routine is just pleasing.

Next chapter smash cuts to Comedy Man's blank expression, next panel shows him cut in two lying on the ground. Entire rest of the issue is him at a train station talking to Groucho Marx about the true meaning of humor.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Takaba could be trying to bait out Kenjaku’s hidden abilities/domain like in the previous fight, except he might not see it coming this time.

It’s JJK, I assume someone is getting jumped.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Gologle posted:

Next chapter smash cuts to Comedy Man's blank expression, next panel shows him cut in two lying on the ground. Entire rest of the issue is him at a train station talking to Groucho Marx about the true meaning of humor.

"How was the King of Comedy?" "He was reaaaaaally funny! And he didn't even perform his full set!"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Gologle posted:

No more smash cuts. Please...

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Gologle posted:

No. It shows him cut in three

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The offscreen death blow only really happens with Sukuna. It happened with Jogo, Gojo, and Kashimo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

"How was the King of Comedy?" "He was reaaaaaally funny! And he didn't even perform his full set!"

So, the Americans were only added to the plot to explain how Steve Harvey showed up?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

chiasaur11 posted:

So, the Americans were only added to the plot to explain how Steve Harvey showed up?

i'm here for this twist

KENJAKU, name five things that an edo period lady needs in her bedroom

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The Americans were added so he could dunk on Americans

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Kenjaku really enjoying engaging with Takaba is what really makes this fight imo. He’s not being arch or unknowable. He’s perfectly happy to discuss the finer points of comedy, it owns so much. Very excited for it to come back from break. Big fan of Kenjaku catching himself complimenting the perfect bow and slight giggle at the end

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also hakari can hire Takaba to warm up the preflight crowds imo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Got a good laugh in today's episode where they added a scene where Megumi uses his hares for offense against Toji and they know CQC

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I'm wondering, because of the joke about the golden ration bow, if the ultimate form of Takaba's technique isn't turning Kenjaku into his manzai partner. How does that translate into winning the fight I don't know, but it would be pretty funny.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Yeah with all the emphasis on duos in this chapter it certainly seems like it could be heading that way. And it would just be nice to have the brutal culling game end in a Friendship.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
If Takaba really wants to utilize that golden ratio. He needs to give himself a stick horse, a tennis ball, and go full Tusk Act 4 on Kenjaku. And canonically that attack should count as a sure-hit even without a domain backing it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Most recent episode is so good but I’m laughing at the rabbit escape doing kicks at Toji

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Most recent episode is so good but I’m laughing at the rabbit escape doing kicks at Toji

Then you got Toji destroying them all by poking debris at them really hard which felt evocative of something, but I'm not sure what.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
Watching the latest anime episode, the open incantation for the black box is completely censored. I wonder what Sukuna meant when he was surprised that Jogo didn’t know about it since it’s apparently common knowledge but not accessible to cursed spirits. Did he mean it’s some esoteric knowledge of jujutsu not accessible to spirits, or maybe he meant it’s an ability that he’s used in the past and is part of the stories passed down about him?

It’s funny that he praises Jogo as strong but spent the entire time beating the poo poo out of him. If Jogo was a sorcerer, would he be considered special grade? You could probably wipe out a nation with something like maximum meteor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

yum posted:

It’s funny that he praises Jogo as strong but spent the entire time beating the poo poo out of him. If Jogo was a sorcerer, would he be considered special grade? You could probably wipe out a nation with something like maximum meteor

The way the ranking works, if Jogo was anything less than special grade he'd actually generally be weaker than than a normal sorceror of the same rank if Jogo were 1:1 made into a human. However as all the disaster curses are special grade this isn't the case and he could absolutely raze a nation given the time and not interfered with by the few special grade characters capable of killing him.