Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Non Compos Mentis posted:

i need the N64 castlevania games to be on NSO

Jfc, whyyyyyyyyyyyy? :psyduck:

I mean, maybe the second one, maybe.... But there's really, honest to god, not that much good about the first.

:edit: what a snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nah they're both good

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I swear to God he does not age, he looks the exact same as when he started on SNL like 25 years ago

And before that he was on the Nickelodeon variety show, All That. I used to watch that show religiously. Keenan has good dad energy. :)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Jfc, whyyyyyyyyyyyy? :psyduck:

I mean, maybe the second one, maybe.... But there's really, honest to god, not that much good about the first.

:edit: what a snipe.

There's been a bunch of revisionism that the N64 Castlevania games were actually good recently, and for the life of me I have no idea why.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

They were good back then, and they’re good now.

https://i.imgur.com/SxzGtb0.gifv

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

They are fun games and always have been

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Huh, I never realized until now that Mack Claymorton had a little dude piloting him

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sakurazuka posted:

There's been a bunch of revisionism that the N64 Castlevania games were actually good recently, and for the life of me I have no idea why.

People are always looking for stupid hills to die on to pretend they're interesting.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Most games from that era deserve a reevaluation.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

thehoodie posted:

I have an extra voucher after beating wonder, what should I use it on?

Vouchers are $50 and Zelda was $70

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Superman 64 can stay in the landfill though.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Having fun with Mario Wonder, but I sometimes think there’s too much variety! Maybe just not used to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq22vGhwTU8

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I still think Quest 64 is unfairly trashed.
That being said, the game erased my save after I had been playing forever and I got mad at it and never restarted.That was in like 2000.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

otter posted:

That being said, the game erased my save after I had been playing forever and I got mad at it and never restarted.That was in like 2000.

I remember wanting that game SO BAD when I got my N64. I was never able to get it :( My neighbor had the game but never wanted to play it haha.

I still wish there was some way to try it again today other than finding an old cart and hoping it works and saves on the N64 or via emulation. I don't sit down and game at the PC as much as I used to so some other form would be nicer. I only ever got like 30-ish minutes in the game maybe.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Dracula Appraiser posted:

People are always looking for stupid hills to die on to pretend they're interesting.

You sound like fun.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't get it. CV64 was bad back then, and it's still bad :confused: the redo is... better but still, ugh.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

otter posted:

Quest 64 wasnt great, but it was low hanging fruit for a certain type of gamer humor. Im not sure what Id think of it now, but if N64 had a normal RPG library, itd probably be in whatever the same class as games like Lagoon, Illusion of Gaia, Arcana, Secret of Evermore on SNES.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked Castlevania for Nintendo 64. The platforming was difficult and unfair but the atmosphere and puzzles and exploration were fun.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I don't know if it was actually good or not but little kid me thought the forest with the scripted lightning strikes that knocked down the trees were the coolest poo poo.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

im finding that odyssey is a mixed bag. I'm playing it for the first time but something about 3D platforming just doesn't click for me. might leave it for now and move on to either U.Deluxe or Wonder, since they're basically the same price somehow despite a 4 year gap between them

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

kecske posted:

im finding that odyssey is a mixed bag. I'm playing it for the first time but something about 3D platforming just doesn't click for me.
:goofy:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

kecske posted:

im finding that odyssey is a mixed bag. I'm playing it for the first time but something about 3D platforming just doesn't click for me.

Everyone stop bickering about Quest and Castlevania, we have to join forces to defeat the thread's newest enemy

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

unattended spaghetti posted:

You sound like fun.

You're really gonna argue about Castlevania with a certified Dracula appraiser?

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Chronojam posted:

You're really gonna argue about Castlevania with a certified Dracula appraiser?

Yep that's a Dracula.

That'll be $200 thanks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
From toe to tip, that's a dracula.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

kecske posted:

im finding that odyssey is a mixed bag. I'm playing it for the first time but something about 3D platforming just doesn't click for me. might leave it for now and move on to either U.Deluxe or Wonder, since they're basically the same price somehow despite a 4 year gap between them

:dafuq:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

You sound like fun.

Hell, same. So anyway, tell me how CV64 is a buried treasure even though you haven't touched it in 20 years.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There is an insanely high effort fanmod for Quest 64 that puts in a bunch of rebalances to make the exp/spell learning system a sane amount of grinding by modern standards, if you're going to play it that's probably the way to go.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

kecske posted:

Maybe look at mario 3d world, its 3d too of course, but I'd describe it as a bit more restrained than odyssey. Might click better for you. Plus it's an awesome game

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Hell, same. So anyway, tell me how CV64 is a buried treasure even though you haven't touched it in 20 years.

As per my post above I have zero opinion on its quality. I just think it’s kinda absurd to ascribe motivations behind someone’s taste, but hey that’s just me.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Maybe look at mario 3d world, its 3d too of course, but I'd describe it as a bit more restrained than odyssey. Might click better for you. Plus it's an awesome game

3D World is pure distilled joy.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

WHY BONER NOW posted:

i don't know, i find 3dw even less accessible than odyssey. the interplay between the controls and the spatiality isn't nearly as smooth.

that said, i think i enjoyed 3dw more? like dude above said, it's purestrain joy. plus, it's the perfect blend of old school and 'oh wow, you can do THIS now with this new technology?1?!' i mean, mario was always about showing off the new tech, and 3dw does that way more than odyssey in my mind.

if you can wrap your head around the space and how to maneuver in it, which admittedly takes some time, then yea, it might be my favorite mario outside of smw or smb2.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

My name is Buck Bumble and I'm here to gently caress fumble

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

As per my post above I have zero opinion on its quality. I just think it’s kinda absurd to ascribe motivations behind someone’s taste, but hey that’s just me.

To be fair, I'm saying this about those types of people, because it's always 1 of 2 people. Either they haven't touched an old game since they were under the age of 15, and wouldn't notice the objective quality of it. Which is completely fair. Or the way more common type recently, is the kind of person that sees a streamer play an old game. And the person bases their entire opinion on this game they never played around the streamer, and the 50 mentally ill people in chat that parrot the streamer the entire time. "Now that I played the forest level, time to play something else. Game still good." And the person who never touched it makes that their entire identity when the game comes up.

I've seen the exact opposite happen with Sonic Mania a year or 2 ago. People argue it's bad because streamers got filtered by level 4, and threw tantrums. It's always Flying Battery Zone that sets them off. So then these people watching go out and argue that Sonic Mania was always poo poo. "It doesn't respect my time!" and stupid arguments like that.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

To be fair, I'm saying this about those types of people, because it's always 1 of 2 people. Either they haven't touched an old game since they were under the age of 15, and wouldn't notice the objective quality of it. Which is completely fair. Or the way more common type recently, is the kind of person that sees a streamer play an old game. And the person bases their entire opinion on this game they never played around the streamer, and the 50 mentally ill people in chat that parrot the streamer the entire time. "Now that I played the forest level, time to play something else. Game still good." And the person who never touched it makes that their entire identity when the game comes up.

I've seen the exact opposite happen with Sonic Mania a year or 2 ago. People argue it's bad because streamers got filtered by level 4, and threw tantrums. It's always Flying Battery Zone that sets them off. So then these people watching go out and argue that Sonic Mania was always poo poo. "It doesn't respect my time!" and stupid arguments like that.

I streamed Sonic Mania awhile back and while I did get through the whole game, there was one boss lateish in that had a super dumb mechanic for damaging him that took me way too goddamn long to do, even knowing what it was I was supposed to do. I forget what level it is or even who the boss was. Might have been Metal Sonic of some variety? You had to bounce a ball back at him and the trajectory was SUPER fiddly. Or I was just doing it wrong, which is entirely possible! I never said I was good at video games...

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I think I enjoyed Bowser’s Fury more than 3DW, but both were fun.

Neither was perfect, of course.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The new Wario Ware is fun Feels like Smooth Moves 2, I like it better than Get it Together already despite some motion control wonkyness in some games. And Afghani is voicing Wario now too and he doesn’t do a bad job here either

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah it’s pretty hype. Dunno how much longevity it has but it feels much more like a Warioware game than GIT ever did.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

abelwingnut posted:

i don't know, i find 3dw even less accessible than odyssey. the interplay between the controls and the spatiality isn't nearly as smooth.

that said, i think i enjoyed 3dw more? like dude above said, it's purestrain joy. plus, it's the perfect blend of old school and 'oh wow, you can do THIS now with this new technology?1?!' i mean, mario was always about showing off the new tech, and 3dw does that way more than odyssey in my mind.

if you can wrap your head around the space and how to maneuver in it, which admittedly takes some time, then yea, it might be my favorite mario outside of smw or smb2.

Yeah I hear what you're saying. It took me a while to adapt too, but I think it was because I was expecting a typical mario 3d game. It's kind of a blend of 2d and 3d, sort of a transition stage. Once I got the feel down, the jumping to platforms felt like a lock and key clicking together.

I was thinking more as for someone who hasn't done 3d mario before, like I said it felt like a transitionary game between the two

Murdstone posted:

I think I enjoyed Bowser’s Fury more than 3DW, but both were fun.

Neither was perfect, of course.

Bowser's fury was pretty drat good but for my money, 3d world was the better experience. Crazy that Bowser's Fury was a freaking add on to a 3d world rerelease

WHY BONER NOW fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

kecske posted:

I never loved Odyssey but New Donk City was a delight and made me want to at least finish the game. Get there if you haven’t.

Also nth-ing how insanely good Bowsers Fury is. It’s what 3D Mario should be next.