Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

this country is so hosed up that a mass shooter just kills himself and we react like mission control on a successful launch

all this stuff is cool and legal. hundreds of thousands of Americans have these things -- surely they aren't all mass shooters? Americans spend a lot on their hobbies.

quote:

The man was found dressed in black-colored tactical clothing, bearing patches and emblems that gave the appearance of someone with law enforcement. He was also heavily armed with a semi-automatic rifle, semi-automatic handgun and multiple loaded magazines. He was also wearing body armor and a ballistic helmet, according to the sheriff’s office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I like to think of it more like a knock off dean koontz novel where this guy was fighting his way through demons to get into the caves to destroy the portal to the demon hell world and failed

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

500excf type r posted:

I like to think of it more like a knock off dean koontz novel where this guy was fighting his way through demons to get into the caves to destroy the portal to the demon hell world and failed

thats literally twilight eyes, where the hero is a carny who murders goblins who look like just like regular people and the goblins have underground bunkers where they're gonna start WWIII

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

got crack pinged on abiotic oil lol :shepface:

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I was watching some Micheal Brooks live stream thinking “he looks like he caught Covid” and a month later had a brain aneurysm. it’s no big mystery how a bunch of people died during a pandemic.

Zadok Allen posted:

I always thought it strange how they said Michael Brooks died from a blood clot in his 30s.

A kid in a class of mine also died of a blood clot shortly after getting over Covid. He couldn’t have been older than his late 20s.

The Atomic Man-Boy has issued a correction as of 17:56 on Nov 2, 2023

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018

my bony fealty posted:

oh this sounds like fun

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I was watching some Micheal Brooks live stream thinking “he looks like he caught Covid” and a month later had a brain aneurysm. it’s no big mystery how a bunch of people died during a pandemic.

vaxxed????

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

https://twitter.com/_michaelbrooks/status/1239347928466182144?s=20

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zadok Allen posted:

I always thought it strange how they said Michael Brooks died from a blood clot in his 30s.

Yeah my dad's a retired doc who did a lot of epidemiology and when I mentioned what happened to Michael he was kind of flummoxed by the whole thing. Now it makes a LITTLE more sense given the cardiovascular impacts that COVID seems to bring with it, but it's still super weird.

Miss that king so much. He'd be having a lot of fun with the Biden admin.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

skimming though Cyclonopedia introduced me to the DEEP HOT BIOSPHERE
https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.89.13.6045

there's a 25 year anniversary journal article on it too
https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1701266114#core-r1

quote:

Gold believed that biology is just a branch of thermodynamics, being supported by energy in disequilibria in chemical reactions that would otherwise equilibrate if they were not held up by kinetic or mechanistic traps (5). To this end, the chemical energy available inside a planetary body would have been the first energy source, and solar energy, carbon fixed through photosynthesis, was a later adaptation of life (3). Although revolutionary in the infancy of the proposal, and not entirely unfounded in the scientific literature (6), informatics, geochemical, and isotopic evidence now provide evidence to support this view (7). Controversially, Gold also believed that oil and gas, which have fueled modern industrial nations for the past century, were born out of the Big Bang and were incorporated into the Earth’s crust at the time of the Earth’s coalescence 4.5 billion years ago. Gold arrived at this conclusion from the humble observation that meteorites and other planetary bodies contain abundant and compositionally diverse hydrocarbons (e.g., the methane lakes of the Jovian moon Titan), begging the question as to why hydrocarbons in the deep subsurface of Earth need to have a different origin (2). Bondi thought that this proposal in geology was Gold’s most important intervention to a field outside his own (4). Although speculation surrounding the formation of oil and gas has resulted in significant debate within the geosciences, the idea of abundant abiogenic hydrocarbons percolating upward had perhaps an even more profound influence on the biosciences by providing impetus to understand how such compounds could fuel a deep, hot biosphere since early in Earth history. Much of the debate concerning the presence of mantle-sourced hydrocarbons has been settled since Gold’s initial proposals, including evidence that mantle-sourced hydrocarbons in crustal environments are likely to be far less abundant than originally proposed (8, 9).

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Cyclonopedia is simultaneously one of my favourite novels and also entirely non-fiction.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

borgnar posted:

oh this sounds like fun

I need to do a lot more reading but one of the biggest ah ha moments to be had is that oil scarcity and especially "peak oil" are myths invented by petroleum capitalists in the 20th century and hell if that doesn't sound true

everyone's favorite David McGowan was a fan of the idea - read this for fun takes like "dinosaur Jonestown" https://educate-yourself.org/cn/davemcgowanstalinandabioticoil05mar05.shtml

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

my bony fealty posted:

I need to do a lot more reading but one of the biggest ah ha moments to be had is that oil scarcity and especially "peak oil" are myths invented by petroleum capitalists in the 20th century and hell if that doesn't sound true

everyone's favorite David McGowan was a fan of the idea - read this for fun takes like "dinosaur Jonestown" https://educate-yourself.org/cn/davemcgowanstalinandabioticoil05mar05.shtml

so is jerome corsi who shat out one of the worst books i have ever tried to read and tied it in to illegal immigration and global warming being a hoax

Black Gold Stranglehold: The Myth of Scarcity and the Politics of Oil https://a.co/d/aAJpQPd

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

peak oil isnt a myth tho, peak oil is very real and oil companies want you to believe peak oil is a myth

people get resource and reserve confused which is part of the slight of hand that oil companies do to try to pretend peak oil isnt real

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Oil is a Cthulhu and touching its body has tainted you irreversibly with madness.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i've had that book on my list for a long rear end time, should probably read it.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
oil as a conscious entity set to destroy the world for reawakening it rules. blah blah physics are just how it works but that counts for brains. At some point far enough back there is a decision or at least fluke of chance made to make this happen.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/1720205762452918288?t=3s7hUy-S3kd0BGCg5JvndQ&s=19

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Malcolm Nonce lol

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Malcolm Nonce lol

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

That's a helpful idea to throw out there on the white supremacist nutjob network, Malcolm

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

americans, famously motivated to do things by spree shootings

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
voted 1 peak oil denied by epstein thread

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Peak oil was the Epstein Deadman switch

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
Peak oil was introduced in a paper by Marion King Hubbert, a technocrat who was roommates with the founder of Technocracy, Howard Scott

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Puppy Burner posted:

Cyclonopedia is simultaneously one of my favourite novels and also entirely non-fiction.

that book rules

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/conzmoleman/status/1720405069923856567?t=TDBGvanGTMSRta89J0tAFQ&s=19

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Puppy Burner posted:

Oil is a Cthulhu and touching its body has tainted you irreversibly with madness.

no that's Capital

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

:staredog:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I literally dont know how to process that video

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Some of the first set immediately around the explosion kinda look like they could just be sparks, but then after the shockwave and camera zooms out there's definitely pixel flashes

I don't know but also wouldn't put it past US/Israel

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jeff Smith was the deputy for operations at the Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory at the time (and remained in the post until 2021), so i kinda doubt he actually did the analysis they're claiming he did

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

my bony fealty posted:

Good! I think it's real. We should have run out by now were it not true, not pumping more oil out of the ground than ever before with more to come in the future

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

now we are cooking with gas or neutrons w/e

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dokapon Findom posted:

We should have run out by now were it not true

this is what i meant by people confusing resource and reserves. because our society is economic brained, we define the amount of resource available by the economic availability of that resource. so if the price of oil rises, the oil resource quantity rises too. it isn't that there is significant new oil being created underground, it is that our definition of what oil is gettable changes and so there's more oil "available." it is the same oil that's always been there but now it counts because it could be profitably extracted.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Yes in the 70s/80s when peak oil was a bigger concept, things like fracking, tar sands, shale oil werent considered viable reserves because they were too expensive to access and the technology wasn't there to extract from them. That changed in the 2000s as prices rose and extraction tech got more advanced. At the end of the day peak oil is all about EROEI, imo*

*I studied geology in school but did not do any petrogeology so i dont know if my explanation is completely on point. I was more interested in hydrogeology, glaciers, and climate.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
https://x.com/RudyHavenstein/status/1278733036708868097?s=20

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Puppy Burner posted:

Yes

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i don't know poo poo from poo poo but would it take 36 seconds after the explosion for radiation to reach the camera? seems sus, to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
ionizing radiation would effect the entire field of view as soon as its released. what those videos show are sparkles/glinting around the area of the explosion a few seconds after the detonation. you can also see some material getting blown out in the initial detonation at like 3/4 seconds that looks like little sparkles. all the things in the videos that look close to radiation artifacts look like they're actual physical objects and not artifacts. compare to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmSydErHvWw or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf4Ux4SlyT4