Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, I guess some of that stuff’s subjective but the little guy (Greed Island spoilers) just let half his arm get blown off so he could basically do a Rocky 1 and go the distance, like even with a full heal that’s both insane and disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
greed island also served as further evidence of how hosed up gon is. his reactions to the bomber and scissors guy were really off.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
"You know we can just win, right Gon?"

"Not good enough."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

greed island also served as further evidence of how hosed up gon is. his reactions to the bomber and scissors guy were really off.
In a pretty objective way what the bombers do is way more unnecessarily malicious and evil than what Neferpitou does but because the latter did it to someone who he personally knew and the former only killed randos he tangentially met or knew Gon lets them off the hook completely and boy does it give the ending of GI some weird vibes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Togashi explicitly wants to do an ensemble series. He lost interest in the series he was doing before Hunter cause he wanted to do an ensemble and was rejected cause Jump wants there to be a proper main character.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

Togashi explicitly wants to do an ensemble series. He lost interest in the series he was doing before Hunter cause he wanted to do an ensemble and was rejected cause Jump wants there to be a proper main character.

That probably explains a lot about how a bunch of Jump comics go.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
One thing I didn't comment on when discussing Yu Yu Hakusho earlier in this thread, but probably should have, is the Yusuke vs. main villain fights are generally the least interesting fights. They drag on so long and they're largely the kind of fights that revolve around raw power and determination rather than specific abilities. Whereas the fights involving the Territory users in the Chapter Black arc were a lot more interesting. I think part of Togashi's evolution as a mangaka was realizing this too, as the fights in Hunter x Hunter show.

What's interesting is how many battle manga have a similar problem (at least intermittently), due to a combination of making the main character's fights longer than everyone else's and giving the main character a boring power. Bleach comes to mind, although Bleach's fights involving specific ability interactions can be even worse because they can be so contrived in a Bat-shark-repellent sort of way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

One thing I didn't comment on when discussing Yu Yu Hakusho earlier in this thread, but probably should have, is the Yusuke vs. main villain fights are generally the least interesting fights. They drag on so long and they're largely the kind of fights that revolve around raw power and determination rather than specific abilities. Whereas the fights involving the Territory users in the Chapter Black arc were a lot more interesting. I think part of Togashi's evolution as a mangaka was realizing this too, as the fights in Hunter x Hunter show.

one more reason the dark tournament was great, because it revolved around team urameshi pulling out every trick and gimmick they could think of until yusuke showed up for the big opponents and gave the audience catharsis by straightforwardly beating them to death

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
So Handsome Must Die and Yumeochi: Dreaming of Falling For You both ended today.

Yumeochi was a typical "hey, it's over now" ending, but Handsome Must Die ended in what I thought was an interesting place, with the MC continuing to live as a man, with no indication that they informed their new band mates that they were merely pretending to be a man in order to infiltrate the academy to begin with. While it wasn't the best series, I ended up digging the series’s goofy charm and retro art and I like the ambiguous note it ended on

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Yeah Handsome was fun and had really cool art, looking forward to the author's next work and however many characters they decide to design to look like Captain Kuro from One Piece.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching the Undead Unluck anime and it is kind of wild to go back to these parts of the story considering where the series is now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

Watching the Undead Unluck anime and it is kind of wild to go back to these parts of the story considering where the series is now.

Mother's Basement did a good video (or part of a video) on UU and talked about how it's worth it when you get to The Good Part of Undead but at the same time two years roughly of chapters is a super big ask of anybody and if you bounce before then no shame. Re-reading the early stuff Andy does settle down a bit quicker than I thought but it's still there, so I get it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
MamaYuyu: Huh, so Escaba was an enemy and one directly connected to our tophat guy at that. Color me surprised. Minerva is pretty fun and we might get some hints about what is the deal with tophat guy. My interest is kinda rising.

Kagurabachi: I guess we are getting our first big arc now? Cool. Also it looks like Char will stay around, which is extremely important.

Undead Unluck: Ooooh inverse round table for Master Rules(?). Wicked Sick

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!:
Everyone in this school is weird af. Makes sense.

Hope You're Happy, Lemon!: I am extremely unsurprised that Lemon is still in love with our protagonist, as that was basically the most boring and safe choice that could be made about their relationship. Bleh

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Well Witch Watch is continuing on a for a bit longer.

Guy really just shot a teenager and just peaced out.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Ichinose Family: oh gently caress off with this horseshit again

MMA: uh oh, he might be concussed

Witch Watch: I thought that we might have been heading towards the final arc, but instead it looks like we've entered a new status quote. Gonna be real curious how long the Four Teens and a Baby arc lasts

Sakamoto Days: the brutal honesty of that newscaster

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Guys im thinking wider society in sakamoto is kinda weird

"Wow a real knife"

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shinji2015 posted:

Sakamoto Days: the brutal honesty of that newscaster

It gave me Chainsaw Man vibes

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yozakura Family hit me surprisingly hard this week.

Oh, and something I forgot to mention in my big 'ol HxH post: Melody is also a really cool character and I'm both glad she came back and terrified that she's gonna get killed on that boat.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Well, I guess they heard my complaints and decided to remove (most of) Nico from Witch Watch. It seems like they also heard my complaints about how people kept infantilizing her, but I think maybe they misunderstood.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Undead: A reverse table, that’s so cool. There’s some kind of DNA guy down there from the looks of things.

Roboco: is on fire right now. So many good gags like the intense Roboco not even turning like the rest.

Witch: guess it’s about to to tune out again. I love the climaxes in this series but everything else tends to drag after a few chapters. But at least the mission is clear, gotta catch them all.

MMA: Is Nitou okay? Somehow I think this is going to end with one of them giving up and getting a rival out of it. Shounen style.

Sakamoto: poo poo

Also ghost reaper girl is back.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
My figuring on MMA is that he's lost control and will absolutely injure the other kid, like when he fought the coach and almost broke his fingers. I think the coach will forfeit the match for him after he figures out what's up.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Darth TNT posted:

Roboco: is on fire right now. So many good gags like the intense Roboco not even turning like the rest.

I really should not find copy+paste Roboco as funny as I do, but it just works somehow.

Like even that shot of them on the security camera you can still tell she's copypasted.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Electric Phantasm posted:

I really should not find copy+paste Roboco as funny as I do, but it just works somehow.

Like even that shot of them on the security camera you can still tell she's copypasted.

This line killed me: "There's a timeline where freakin' Oda draws me?!"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Nate RFB posted:

In a pretty objective way what the bombers do is way more unnecessarily malicious and evil than what Neferpitou does but because the latter did it to someone who he personally knew and the former only killed randos he tangentially met or knew Gon lets them off the hook completely and boy does it give the ending of GI some weird vibes.

The speech Goreinu gives Killua (or maybe vice versa) at the end of Greed Island will stick with me forever

"Why are you trying to heal him? This guy's a serial killer!"
"So am I. I've probably killed more people than him by far."
"Yeah but I like you."

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Jerkface posted:

This line killed me: "There's a timeline where freakin' Oda draws me?!"

Every time they rope in some random famous mangaka to draw Roboco for a panel or a chapter or whatever is always insane comedy gold.

Edit:

Exorcist: holy poo poo

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 31, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Exorcist: holy poo poo

What's the best kind of lust? bloodlust :black101:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: Huh, so Lucifer's plan is something like "use other Demon Lords to torment Mr. Priest and get him to fully to unleash all of his vast suppressed rage, which will give him some kind of power over Mr. Priest, I assume. And Imuri being secretly a demon and lying to him, while he gets emotionally attached to her enough to be devastated and enraged once he discovers the truth, was part of that all along.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: Huh, so Lucifer's plan is something like "use other Demon Lords to torment Mr. Priest and get him to fully to unleash all of his vast suppressed rage, which will give him some kind of power over Mr. Priest, I assume. And Imuri being secretly a demon and lying to him, while he gets emotionally attached to her enough to be devastated and enraged once he discovers the truth, was part of that all along.

It just occured to me, but maybe Mr. Priest has been the Antichrist all along, and this is how Lucifer triggers his descent?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Kazumamma is the best. Just the most manly mother raising a family like a badass.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Shinji2015 posted:

Ichinose Family: oh gently caress off with this horseshit again

https://x.com/WSJ_manga/status/1719563968036192746?s=20

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Thank god.

Final chapter is them waking up in the van over and over and over, and it turns out that they're dead and have been in hell this entire time

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

It just occured to me, but maybe Mr. Priest has been the Antichrist all along, and this is how Lucifer triggers his descent?

Probably not if you meant Satan instead of Lucifer. Satan is the demon lord specifically targeting the priest and he's only doing that because he doesn't want to be sent back to gehenna and wait for his respawn cooldown to clear up again.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Interesting thing I read that seems obvious in hindsight. But as it relates to The Exorcist there's probably a good reason why after his fight with Beelz it was commented that he was weaker. A few times in the series we've seen that the Priest has snails on the brain, literally and figuratively.

When he was drawing with Imuri

As stuffed animals he keeps in his bed

And lastly when Beelzebub enters his mindscape

And this is when we also learn that the Priest has a bit of a headmate

Snails are associated with Belphegor so it seems the case that he's leveraging his own abilities to weaken the priest over time but also seems to be trying to disillusion the priest as well. Both work with his sin being that of Sloth and I can see him not trying to kill the priest, but trying to make him give up protecting the world altogether. The questions I have are is he working with Satan or is this just his method of attack distinct from Lords like Asmodeus, Mammon, and Beelzebub?

And as it relates to the anti-christ question I noted on the re-read that Vergil has his own scheme going on which involves acquiring pieces of all 7 lords of sin.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
world trigger continues to be extremely world trigger and i love it

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I gave up on it a while back because it seemed like they were never getting out of the training.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they aren't

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

world trigger has been a manga about metagaming since the end of its first arc and I’ve resigned myself to not remembering 90% of the character’s names or personality traits but I like it. reading about people gaining incremental advantages or sussing out broken strategies via ingenuity makes the gamer in me smile

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
And this week, we get all that in the context of using a spore creature creator.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Make a training arc manga just some guy training forever for a vague threat that just never happens. Like the fightman equivalent of those doomsday preppers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

panko posted:

world trigger has been a manga about metagaming since the end of its first arc and I’ve resigned myself to not remembering 90% of the character’s names or personality traits but I like it. reading about people gaining incremental advantages or sussing out broken strategies via ingenuity makes the gamer in me smile

In training, the agents have balanced triggers, but outside of the training, a few of them have completely overpowered triggers. And eventually (I hope), when they face off against other neighbors, the metagaming is probably going to be removed because those neighbors will have overpowered triggers.