Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I just assumed the premise of World Trigger was an entire series of chuunin exam arcs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

yeah I think one piece is going to end before world trigger starts the away mission arc

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I liked World Trigger before the "everyone gets shoved into the ships and plays a game" arc where I've just had way too much trouble remembering who most of the cast is, especially with a month or more between chapters.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I did the smart thing and put reading World Trigger on hiatus until I'll have a backlog of like 200 chapters that I can read in one go, because gently caress reading that weekly. :v:

I am halfway there already.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

I did the smart thing and put reading World Trigger on hiatus until I'll have a backlog of like 200 chapters that I can read in one go, because gently caress reading that weekly. :v:

Only 8 more years to go.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Magical Girl Tsubame: I Will (Not) Save The World!: I love the "what I want to say out loud now!" beams. It's fun and silly power. :allears: And well... that was lot less wholesome than I hoped, but I guess something like that should be expected. Also, the notion that turned into the magical girl had the same broken heart pupils as the friend who gave Tsubame her magic girl powers, so... that will be an issue in the future. I take it back, Madoka is strong with this one.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

panko posted:

world trigger has been a manga about metagaming since the end of its first arc and I’ve resigned myself to not remembering 90% of the character’s names or personality traits but I like it. reading about people gaining incremental advantages or sussing out broken strategies via ingenuity makes the gamer in me smile

It's basically a sports manga. Even in the "real" fights, the characters usually fight in ways where they can't die (and their opponents also usually "play the game" fairly). People generally play by a consistent set of "rules" and fight using an understood "toolkit." And even the exceptions that are outside of that toolkit (the black triggers) still feel relatively "fair" in how they're used - they're really strong weapons that can usually make an individual stronger than any individual with a regular trigger, but they can still be overcome.

I love it. Nothing else quite like it out there. The setting is completely bonkers and makes no loving sense, but it's basically just an excuse for endless combat sports.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Isn't it monthly now? I'm also deliberately not reading it to save up chapters. Think it's been at least 6 months now.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 3, 2023

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

It's basically a sports manga. Even in the "real" fights, the characters usually fight in ways where they can't die (and their opponents also usually "play the game" fairly). People generally play by a consistent set of "rules" and fight using an understood "toolkit." And even the exceptions that are outside of that toolkit (the black triggers) still feel relatively "fair" in how they're used - they're really strong weapons that can usually make an individual stronger than any individual with a regular trigger, but they can still be overcome.

With the fights so far, the mangaka have made it so that basic triggers vs a black trigger fights involve a numbers advantage or some kind of gimmick/scenario to make the fight fairer or less impactful if one side loses. Otherwise, it is 1v1 or balanced teams in a black trigger vs black trigger fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the problem with the current arc is that it isn't making for good sports manga because all of the 'action' is tied to the game which is intentionally simplified. It's clearly that is intentional because the real drama is supposed to be how the cast is responding to the rules, not the results of the game, but it leaves things feeling a bit too divorced and dry. They could really use some visual flare to spice things up a bit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

world trigger continues to be extremely world trigger and i love it

It's such a strange, yet engaging series for me. (With many characters being way younger than they should be)

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's such a strange, yet engaging series for me. (With many characters being way younger than they should be)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGxCMyLm6js

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Everything about the setting is bizarre. This monumental discovery - literal aliens (!) that come from some weird metaphysical realm that completely upends our understanding of physics and reality (!!). And the portal to them is in this one random place in Japan. And our planet's - or maybe even our universe's, because it's not clear what the gently caress is up with the realm neighbors come from - entire defense against them relies on like <1000 people, most of whom are under the age of 22. And the social dynamics and attitudes among said teenagers are far more like "teens doing a sport or other extracurricular activity" than "soldiers."

edit: The way manga usually deal with this sort of situation is by having the fantastical elements take place outside of the notice of broader society. So all these fights happen secretly, or in ways that are literally invisible to normal people (like in Jujutsu Kaisen). But in World Trigger this stuff seems to mostly be public knowledge.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 3, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

In this case it’s not guessing characters ages that is the issue, lots of people just seem younger than they should be.

Like this guy is one of our most experienced veteran members, who literally invented the Sniper role in our teams, he has been a mentor for new members for years, he is 25

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

In this case it’s not guessing characters ages that is the issue, lots of people just seem younger than they should be.

The point of the video is not about guessing the age: it is a common anime/manga trope that most characters are way younger than they ought to be or way older than they ought to be.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

just read the world trigger chapter and even though vitals strike only procs 10% of the time it’s an instant kill irrespective of damage dealt so putting that on a unit that sprays and prays sounds like a winning strategy to me. excited to see what the gamers in the cast cook up (who are those again? the guy with the flappy hat and one of the glasses-wearing operators?)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just read 45 chapters of Undead Unluck over about two hours in what was meant to be a quick five or so before bed. I'm up to Chapter 120 now. That series just keeps getting better and better, holy poo poo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arist posted:

Just read 45 chapters of Undead Unluck over about two hours in what was meant to be a quick five or so before bed. I'm up to Chapter 120 now. That series just keeps getting better and better, holy poo poo.

Yeah, once it starts to trend upwards it doesn't stop. You just have to get there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This week's episode of the Undead Unluck anime does a good job of showing just how meticulously planned out the series was. Fuko talking about wanting to change things where nobody has to suffer, especially in regards to Gina.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I struggle to think of any series that's improved so much and so consistently as Undead Unluck. It's up there with like Star Trek TNG. If Riker would just not stop groping people until season 3.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So when do you all think Undead Unluck improves by? I'm 22 chapters in so far and I don't think much of how it feels has really changed since the first 3 chapters.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RareAcumen posted:

So when do you all think Undead Unluck improves by? I'm 22 chapters in so far and I don't think much of how it feels has really changed since the first 3 chapters.

Looking back through some old chapters I think the turning point is about Chapter 35 or so. The arc immediately after that I thought was excellent.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

Looking back through some old chapters I think the turning point is about Chapter 35 or so. The arc immediately after that I thought was excellent.

Thanks! I like the strategy in the fights and such, it's a good Fullmetal Alchemist/Jojo/Hunter X Hunter system where nobody's completely shutdown by another person's power and they're poo poo out of luck like Wolverine fighting Magneto or just power scaling things like Naruto or DBZ for anyone but the main 3 or 4 characters. I'm enjoying it so far but I was just wondering when the series really 'hit' for everyone else here because I remember people posting that 'Wow actually Undead Unluck's been good lately' throughout the thread.

Is this the one where they start killing concepts later on so like 'cutting' doesn't exist anymore and they have to fight differently? There was some manga that got esoteric like that at some point.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m at like Chapter 9 and it seems significantly better than I expected, didn’t expect the more strategic Jojo/HxH fights based on people just rejecting the laws of causality just going off Chapter 1 which id read before. Andy seems pretty cool whenever he’s not being weird, though as a One Piece fan I get why you wouldn’t be able to divorce the two.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Back when it was new Apocalypse was enough of a hook for most people to get on board, but it does seem like the line has moved further in for some? As long as someone isn't acting like it's bad until after Seasons then I wouldn't strongly disagree.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I do hope Apocalypse puts up the multiple quests with participant limits again. Everyone ganging up on a single UMA is tiring.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

I’m at like Chapter 9 and it seems significantly better than I expected, didn’t expect the more strategic Jojo/HxH fights based on people just rejecting the laws of causality just going off Chapter 1 which id read before. Andy seems pretty cool whenever he’s not being weird, though as a One Piece fan I get why you wouldn’t be able to divorce the two.

In the longer run Andy is basically fine IMO and is only kind of bad early on.

My bigger issue with Andy is that I'm inherently bothered by any characters who have "super-regeneration powers, but you still feel all the pain." Can't watch/read their fights without constantly being like "jesus christ" and thinking about how completely impossible it would actually be to function through that kind of stuff. I would rather "ability to suppress pain" just be an inherent part of powers like that.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
So because of all the UU chat I watched the first episode of the anime today. How many chapters did they cram into the first episode? It feels like it was at least three, because the pacing felt like they were skipping over some stuff.

Other manga:

Choujin X: oh, this was a fun chapter. Crammed full of idiots, my favorite :allears:

Witch Enforcer: Nothing spectacular about it so far, but there is some potential to it. We're still in the world-building stage right now, but hopefully things pick up soon

Magical Girl Tsubame: I genuinely love the names of Tsubame's attacks. Just straight and to the point OHMIGOSH YOU CUT OFF MY ARM BEAM

Hope You're Happy, Lemon: Lemon's gonna become the much more appealing version of Sunao before this is all over, and Sunao's eventual attempts to top her will end up screwing things up for him in the end

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Shinji2015 posted:

Hope You're Happy, Lemon: Lemon's gonna become the much more appealing version of Sunao before this is all over, and Sunao's eventual attempts to top her will end up screwing things up for him in the end

The funniest result of this is that the roommate falls in love with Lemon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the real turning point for UU is the Autumn UMA stuff, because that is where they seem to move into the tone and atmosphere the rest of the series starts to stick to. It's also where Fuuko starts to get to actually do things more proactively rather than just being there for Unluck deployment, and where Andy gets to start feeling like a character instead of Gropy McWickedsick. (I'm still not big on Andy but that is because the early parts of the series are REALLY bad.)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m like at Chapter 28 and he’s chilled a lot on that front and he’s kind of just Better Sanji now, does he get more grabby again?

Regardless, one of the antagonists whipped out a pair of combat greaves that do Guile Street Fighter sonic booms named Blade Runner, so i am forced to conclude that Undead Unluck is already pretty rad and pretty freaking hype for when I get out of the East Blue.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Ranger Reject's story jumped the shark many chapters ago but at least the author is still having fun.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
MMA: uh oh, is Nito about to kill that guy?

Undead Unluck: So Andy has spent hundreds of years sitting on the loving sun. :drat:

Dr Stone is back! For some reason! I dunno, seems cool to me.

Akane Banashi: Tanugon best new character of 2023.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I know it’s early but mma is shaping up to challenge the pantheon of alltimer punchmanga

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Clarste posted:

The funniest result of this is that the roommate falls in love with Lemon.

Even better, she gets feelings for both Lemon-in-Sunao's-body and Sunao-in-Lemon's-body, leaving both of them terribly confused

Kill Blue: between this week and the last, I think we're starting to see the central theme of the manga start to come together

Two On Ice: at this point I'm just not interested in the male MC's storyline. It's bare bones shonen. The female MC's storyline is a lot more interesting (an athlete struggling to deal with physical limitations), but being a shonen series, I can't see it resolving in a way that isn't "well turns out she's one of the rare women that can still do it, all that worry for nothing!"

Ichinose Family: we're freeeeeeeee

panko posted:

I know it’s early but mma is shaping up to challenge the pantheon of alltimer punchmanga

It's so good

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mma bringing back the eye smoke thing from hinomaru no sumo. I'd forgotten that was a thing

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

since its shonen the period after this fight is likely going to feature asumi having a crisis of conscience but I’d love to have my expectations subverted and have him go full violence enjoyer. teppu’s premature demise left me wanting

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

panko posted:

since its shonen the period after this fight is likely going to feature asumi having a crisis of conscience but I’d love to have my expectations subverted and have him go full violence enjoyer. teppu’s premature demise left me wanting

I think it will really depend on whether or not he hurts Taiga in the fight since the block happened after hurting his brother.

The explanation of why there's an evil Roboco was pretty funny. As well as "knee prism stone"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

panko posted:

Teppu also makes me wish Nao had a bigger part to play.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

me too but we did get to see nao kick some rear end already and I expect to see her kick more rear end throughout the series. don’t want to assume though. might make an as out of u & mi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Alacron posted:

Akane Banashi: Tanugon best new character of 2023.

I am enjoying this "no filters, head empty" approach. Let's see where it takes her.