Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ok how about some optimism: it's so relentlessly rainy and damp in the UK even during the summer that the cedar will never have a chance to really dry out so it just won't warp as much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

VelociBacon posted:

Is hardiboard not really a thing in the UK? Everything is hardi here (concrete fibreboard).

thats essentially the tile backer board I've put up in the bathrooms

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

everdave posted:

Will he be making GBS threads in the bushes along the way?

I’m glad someone else also had this thought.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

everdave posted:

Will he be making GBS threads in the bushes along the way?

where else do you poo poo while trick or treating?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Messadiah posted:

where else do you poo poo while trick or treating?

I mean I’d like to take a dump in the break room and have some snacks but that’s been taken away

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Is hardiboard not really a thing in the UK? Everything is hardi here (concrete fibreboard).

In terms of external finish cladding I've found it very difficult to find. There are cement fibre board cladding panels but they seem to not have much of a retail presence, AFAICT they all sell to the giant apartment building companies.

There is a fake cedar board product called cedral, similar to the uPVC fake cladding boards, but still kinda expensive and I'm personally not a fan of things pretending to be other things.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm personally not a fan of things pretending to be other things.

Same here. I strive for authenticity of materials in my projects

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I get the sentiment but I'd avoid real wood siding if at all possible because it looks very nice but it's a pain in the rear end.

I've watched enough This Old House to decide that PVC is the way to go if you get the quality stuff.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Does PVC siding really even happen in the UK? I know it's everywhere in the States

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Does PVC siding really even happen in the UK? I know it's everywhere in the States

I'm sure you can buy it but outside of maybe some commercial stuff it isn't common

e: actually that's wrong houses of a certain age often look like this:

And it is sometimes used for extensions. But I don't think it's a common first choice, probably because of houses like the above

distortion park fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 31, 2023

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Fidelitious posted:

I get the sentiment but I'd avoid real wood siding if at all possible because it looks very nice but it's a pain in the rear end.

Ive watched enough This Old House to decide that PVC is the way to go if you get the quality stuff.

I had cedar siding, looked amazing for 2-3 years and it needed stain again. I have enough poo poo to do. I do miss the look of the cedar.

It looks a lot more house like with the plaster up.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Fidelitious posted:

I'd consider it more if it wasn't also fairly expensive.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Uncommon but readily available.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

my house has plastic siding but you need a power washer or it gets manky pretty quickly

we dont have a power washer :(

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I see claims that the best modern paints will last 16 years before you have to scrape and repaint your house, but of course those are fully opaque paints that leaves the wood looking far less ... woody than a stain.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I think I'm looking at about 700 quid for all the oil and and fire protection stuff that half the boards need (<1 metre from boundary).

And that lasts two years.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just cover them with some stolen lead.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah so after like 10 years might as well just have gold plated the whole thing

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Paint the lead to look like wood.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lime wash. Very traditional.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
As long as you don’t barbecue next to it then you should be ok

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wattle and daub with the materials at hand.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Wrap the house in foil

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
https://www.jameshardie.co.uk/en/cladding/hardieplank

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

You can't get that actually looking like a wood though, only in blank colours.

Plus it's twice the price of the cedar I got.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So basically it looks like painted cedar, and costs what it'd cost for cedar if you painted it regularly and probably cheaper once you consider the lifespan.

I get it, I love the natural look of wood, I just know what the natural look of cedar turns into after just a few years and it's not that great.

Blah grey

anyway probably it's too late to change your mind now anyway right, so I'll try to stop being an rear end about it

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Computer viking posted:

I see claims that the best modern paints will last 16 years before you have to scrape and repaint your house, but of course those are fully opaque paints that leaves the wood looking far less ... woody than a stain.

Might be a bit optimistic. The stuff we used to use to paint hardwood windows/doors/conservatories - proper expensive stuff from a Scandinavian company (so, good in harsh winters etc.) would last about 7-10 years, if it was white. Less if it was some darker colour and like, 1 year if it was black or dark grey.

Mind you, after those 1-10 years, you'd typically only need to key the surface (light sand) and put a new topcoat on.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The 16 year stuff only came out a couple of years ago, so it obviously hasn't had 16 years of testing on random houses yet - but one would hope it adds another couple of years to those 7-10.

(Sorry for the moon language, I couldn't find anything about it in English.)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I dunno what paint my parents used on their house but it's older than 20 years and looks fine (red). Our paint is 10 years and still looks fine.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Painting masonry and painting timber cladding is not even remotely comparable

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Though I am jumping to the conclusion that your parents house isn't timber clad

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Leperflesh posted:

So basically it looks like painted cedar, and costs what it'd cost for cedar if you painted it regularly and probably cheaper once you consider the lifespan.

I get it, I love the natural look of wood, I just know what the natural look of cedar turns into after just a few years and it's not that great.

Aged wood like this looks good actually, and if you treat it properly like with a mixture of tar, turpentine and varnish* it'll look even better and the treatment will last for a decade.

* link's in Finnish, but this is what we used for our log cabin in Lapland and it looks great

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

distortion park posted:

Here's a fun photo of a local building that was almost entirely demolished before being extended with three different wall materials on display. I can only assume they kept that one wall as a workaround to planning rules.

A common non-UK method of construction is concrete frame and infill, usually with those interlocking terracotta blocks that get rendered. Looks like that's what's going on here? All the sites get a dinky tower crane to lift the concrete for the upper floor concrete pours. I've no idea why it's not taken off in the UK cause it's quick, cheap and only really has drawbacks in seismic risk areas where it folds neatly flat. Possibly because you need a crane and other significant plant, whereas brick and block can be done with nothing more than scaffolding and swearing.

Our ship-lapped larch cladding has gone a bit shoogly woogly over the two years it's been up and we haven't treated it. I should go round and bash all the nails back flush again where they've started to lift out. Other than that, it's good.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Salisbury Snape posted:

Though I am jumping to the conclusion that your parents house isn't timber clad

No it's a wood house alright. Photo, the garage building to the right was repaneled and repainted recently. The red on the main house should be like 20 years or so by now.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

His Divine Shadow posted:

No it's a wood house alright. Photo, the garage building to the right was repaneled and repainted recently. The red on the main house should be like 20 years or so by now.

Imgur is weird - that link only works if I copy/paste it. Cute house, though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I can't decide whether I'm the space elevator comms tower at the front or the roof bbq at the back.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

You might be shocked to know this is the rear of the house :monocle:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Hobbies, Crafts, & Houses > Towards L shape architecture: Just use Aluminum Composite Material cladding, it’s very cheap now

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bought this stuff off eBay from a guy called Glen F. Offcuts

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

just bulk up on costco ceranwrap and wrap the house. it'll help meet the energy efficiency goals too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
why is most of the world so opposed to the king of cladding options, vertical profile corrugated steel cladding?

pissing around repainting your weatherboards every 10 years, who has the time