Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So I got some ground beef in a large package from a discount grocery store selling expired or soon-to-be expired products—it was about 3lbs of beef. My wife used some, put it in a ziplock bag, and froze it. Today, thawed it in the fridge.

Upon opening it, it’s brown outside and in. It’s the outside that concerns me. It’s not slimy and it doesn’t have an odor at all, so I went ahead and used it in crockpot spaghetti sauce, but now I’m paranoid that it was bad even though it passed the smell test since it was brown all over—even though it had been opened and exposed to oxygen already.

So am I throwing out a couple jars of Rao’s now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Brown is fine and just means it’s been exposed to oxygen. It’s only red because they put ~chemicals~ in the package to make it red.

Squashy Nipples posted:

And yes, it's basically a caramel flavored with chocolate, that's the secret of Hot Fudge topping. You make a caramel that is thick in texture but light in color/flavor, and then the chocolate goes in last.
Why not just ganache?

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
Knife in the peanut butter jar, spread on both pieces of bread to keep the more watery jam (gently caress jelly) from soaking into the bread. Spoon in the jam jar, not sure why but a knife doesn't seem right.

Pro tip: construct a peanut butter and jelly jam sandwich, then make French toast out of it. No butter or syrup needed. You're welcome.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

JoshGuitar posted:

Knife in the peanut butter jar, spread on both pieces of bread to keep the more watery jam (gently caress jelly) from soaking into the bread. Spoon in the jam jar, not sure why but a knife doesn't seem right.

Pro tip: construct a peanut butter and jelly jam sandwich, then make French toast out of it. No butter or syrup needed. You're welcome.

Close, but if you’re using the knife to dip into the PB then you are getting crumbs (a problem if using regular bread and want to keep the PB GF), and if the bread is buttered, butter in the PB.

Pro tip: make a toasted sandwich with PB, chilli jam and smoked mozzarella. Incredible.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I've heard this recommendation before and I have a really hard time imagining cheese with peanut butter

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That’s because peanut butter is horrible

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happiness Commando posted:

I've heard this recommendation before and I have a really hard time imagining cheese with peanut butter

It’s crazy good. I know it sounds weird but it’s great. Remember that smoked mozzarella doesn’t have the same texture as most cheese.

Scientastic posted:

That’s because peanut butter is horrible

https://tenor.com/view/pity-mrt-fool-gif-5440336

therattle fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 4, 2023

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Why are grapes bullshit? My parents used to grow red grapes and they were way different than the ones you can buy in the store. They were round, instead of being elongated like an glutted tick. They had a deep color instead of being sort of red and sort of white green. The juice actually had color. The taste was rich and fruity instead of being sweet water. The texture was different too, not as crisp. What gives?

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
Anyone got a lasagna recipe? I've been using the Bon Appetit one with bechamel but I've been wanting to do one with ricotta since I haven't in so long I forget how. I have the Sopranos cookbook recipe but it seems pretty basic. That's pretty much the only italian cookbook I have. NYT recipe with five stars looks good but I'm open to thoughts.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Which zojirushi thermos is the one people here love so much? Only needs to hold max like 500mL of coffee. Thanks!

e: just ordered a fellow one because I hate sippy lids and wanted a screw on/off lid. Still curious tho.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 4, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SubG posted:

Yeah, forcing eggs through a strainer will get the chalaza and any blood spots out. It's really waaaay the gently caress overkill unless you're going for a mega fussy plain French omelette, though.

I'm actually pretty bad at cracking eggs (it's all in the wrist) so whisking in the strainer would get rid of all the drat eggshell fragments

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm actually pretty bad at cracking eggs (it's all in the wrist) so whisking in the strainer would get rid of all the drat eggshell fragments

Sorry if this is obvious but you're cracking eggs on a flat surface and not the edge of a bowl right?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

VelociBacon posted:

Which zojirushi thermos is the one people here love so much? Only needs to hold max like 500mL of coffee. Thanks!

e: just ordered a fellow one because I hate sippy lids and wanted a screw on/off lid. Still curious tho.

Just the regular one that shows up when you search for it I think.

I have one and to be honest it's almost too good at retaining heat.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

Just the regular one that shows up when you search for it I think.

I have one and to be honest it's almost too good at retaining heat.

classic thermoses came with a screw-on cup/lid for exactly this reason, we have strayed far from the light

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry if this is obvious but you're cracking eggs on a flat surface and not the edge of a bowl right?

Yes, but I'm inept.

E; you do Jam first, because peanut butter is a resist.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 4, 2023

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

UnleashedDad posted:

Anyone got a lasagna recipe? I've been using the Bon Appetit one with bechamel but I've been wanting to do one with ricotta since I haven't in so long I forget how. I have the Sopranos cookbook recipe but it seems pretty basic. That's pretty much the only italian cookbook I have. NYT recipe with five stars looks good but I'm open to thoughts.

The Serious Eats lasagna bolognese is a pretty ponderous task but it really pays off. You don't need to do the chicken livers, the gelatin or the veal if you don't want to. I've done it with equal parts beef and pork and been perfectly happy.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

prayer group posted:

The Serious Eats lasagna bolognese is a pretty ponderous task but it really pays off. You don't need to do the chicken livers, the gelatin or the veal if you don't want to. I've done it with equal parts beef and pork and been perfectly happy.

Gelatin??? I have to see this.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

NotNut posted:

Why are grapes bullshit? My parents used to grow red grapes and they were way different than the ones you can buy in the store. They were round, instead of being elongated like an glutted tick. They had a deep color instead of being sort of red and sort of white green. The juice actually had color. The taste was rich and fruity instead of being sweet water. The texture was different too, not as crisp. What gives?

I’m sorry to be the one to tell you this, but literally everything you grow yourself is better than what you can buy at the supermarket.

Because when you grow food at home, you generally prioritise flavour, but when things are grown to be sold in a shop, there are lots of other factors. Like consistent ripening time, longevity, shelf-stability, ease of shipping, there are some characteristics that have to come first. If the products don’t all ripen at roughly the same time, you can’t harvest in bulk. If the product doesn’t last a long time it won’t survive the length of time it takes to get to the shelf. If it’s not shelf stable it will rot in the store. If it is too soft to be shipped it won’t even survive the journey.

All of that means flavour is a secondary characteristic because while it might be your top priority, for the supply chain it’s great but not absolutely essential.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 4, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

NotNut posted:

There are different varieties of grape just like there are different varieties of apple or potato. What grocery stores sell is partly determined by where you live. All the red grapes here are round and dark, for example. Ask your parents what variety they planted and try to find it again.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Anne Whateley posted:

There are different varieties of grape just like there are different varieties of apple or potato. What grocery stores sell is partly determined by where you live. All the red grapes here are round and dark, for example. Ask your parents what variety they planted and try to find it again.

This and Scientastic’s post. Without wanting to get into an argument about the putative benefit of organic food, I do find that organic fruit and veg often taste better, sometimes startlingly so. So try some organic grapes in season maybe?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Steve Yun posted:

Question

When you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, do you:

1) spread the peanut butter and jelly with one knife

2) use one knife for peanut butter and one knife for jelly

3) wipe the knife after spreading the peanut butter, then spread the jelly

1.) Yes
2.) No :effort:
3.) Wipe the knife on the bread, so yes.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Why not just ganache?

Good question!

1 Primarily, the caramel sauce provides heat stability.
Ganache would only be the right consistency at a very narrow temperature range.
The life of hot fudge topping: it sits in a warmer all day, cools off at night, rinse and repeat. Ganache wouldn't survive that, it would separate.
With caramel sauce as your base, you can reheat it forever, and since it's water based, if it starts to get too thick, or grows a nasty skin on top, you just stir in a little hot water, boom perfect again.

2 Chocolate liquor is too strong of a flavor
Even if you thin it out with a ton of oil, the chocolate flavor would be too intense for dumping ganache on top of ice cream.
If you think about it's application on ice cream sundaes, caramel sauce flavored with chocolate actually makes more sense. It needs all that sugar.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

For real, I didn't figure this out until I was like 30.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I always crack my eggs on the inside of the bowl, mainly because if there’s a mess then it will stay in the bowl.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Squashy Nipples posted:

For real, I didn't figure this out until I was like 30.

I turned 40 this year, and only started cracking eggs on a flat surface about three months ago. Life changing stuff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I crack on the side of the bowl and I never get eggshells in there or break the yolk.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

UnleashedDad posted:

I've made ATK's simple lasagna and it was pretty good. I think I replaced the ricotta with cottage cheese

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steve Yun posted:

Question

When you make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, do you:

1) spread the peanut butter and jelly with one knife

2) use one knife for peanut butter and one knife for jelly

3) wipe the knife after spreading the peanut butter, then spread the jelly

Toast 2 slices of sourdough.

Spread peanut butter on one slice (use a knife)

Sprinkle Bac-Os on the peanut butter.

Place other slice of toast on top.

Enjoy.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Scientastic posted:

I’m sorry to be the one to tell you this, but literally everything you grow yourself is better than what you can buy at the supermarket.

Because when you grow food at home, you generally prioritise flavour, but when things are grown to be sold in a shop, there are lots of other factors. Like consistent ripening time, longevity, shelf-stability, ease of shipping, there are some characteristics that have to come first. If the products don’t all ripen at roughly the same time, you can’t harvest in bulk. If the product doesn’t last a long time it won’t survive the length of time it takes to get to the shelf. If it’s not shelf stable it will rot in the store. If it is too soft to be shipped it won’t even survive the journey.

All of that means flavour is a secondary characteristic because while it might be your top priority, for the supply chain it’s great but not absolutely essential.
Everything Scientastic said, but he hasn't seen what my garden tomatoes looked like this summer.

The gotcha on home gardening is that, even though your produce is way fresher and your fruits last way longer, the (quite good) hybrids sold by Burpee's and Park's were bred for commercial use, then repackaged for the consumer. You have a two-way split: use heirloom seeds and put up with a lot of diseases, or use well-chosen modern hybrids labeled disease resistant, then put up with a somewhat generic flavor.

For whatever miraculous reason, Early Girl tomatoes hybrids taste great, produce early, and are resistant to three fusarium wilts, Nematodes, Tobacco Mosaic Virus, and Verticillium Wilt.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I just don't gently caress my tomato plants

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Toast 2 slices of sourdough.

Spread peanut butter on one slice (use a knife)

Sprinkle Bac-Os on the peanut butter.

Place other slice of toast on top.

Enjoy.

I need to make a peanut butter and onion sandwich with those now

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

UnleashedDad posted:

Wroughtirony's Mom's Lasagna:

Make bolognese however you like. I generally use Cento or San Marzano canned crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, whatever red wine I have handy, onions, garlic, ground beef, and Penzey's Italian seasoning. Salt, sugar, and black pepper to taste. Simmer it a good long time. Fresh herbs are a great addition if you have them, especially oregano.

Make your cheese mixture. I do one whole egg plus one yolk mixed in with one small tub (8oz?) of full fat cottage cheese. If you want to get fancy you can add some shredded parm or pecorino, but I generally don't. Do not add salt.

Boil your noodles in very salty water until they're just under al dente. Do not faff about with no-cook noodles.

In a ROUND casserole dish (this recipe must be made in a round dish. It is tradition. Growing up our kitchenware budget was modest and we made due with what we had.) layer as follows: noodles, sauce, shredded mozz, noodles, cheese, noodles, sauce, mozz, noodles, cheese, noodles, sauce and top with a very generous portion of mozz.

350 for 30 min. Broil the top if you're feeling fancy and want to brown the cheese a little.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For lasagna I’ve been doing ricotta plus a lot of green onions, garlic, and Parmesan (or whatever salty cheese you want) for the inner cheese layer. I like to make sure that layer is nice and seasoned.

Personally I prefer ricotta, but it’s definitely a taste thing.8

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Eeyo posted:

Personally I prefer ricotta, but it’s definitely a taste thing.8

For me, my preference is 100% because I was raised on cottage cheese instead of ricotta, but I find cottage cheese gives more structural integrity, especially after refrigeration.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I DESPISE egg-ricotta in a lasagna. I've been doing a bechamel between the layers lately with shredded mozz just on top. Nice and creamy.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Drink and Fight posted:

I DESPISE egg-ricotta in a lasagna. I've been doing a bechamel between the layers lately with shredded mozz just on top. Nice and creamy.

I make bechamel. And for time-saving purposes (being busy), I just use jarred tomato sauce with Beyond mince (which is excellent). My son looooves lasagna. (Who doesn't?). I use pre-cooked (gluten-free) pasta sheets but soak them for a while beforehand, which works well.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I don’t like ricotta lasagne, the recipe with which I made my now-wife realise I wasn’t just a ridiculously handsome hedonistic fun guy to be around but could also cook and be good company on a night in was for lasagne.

Bolognese sauce: the secret to good bolognese is to cook it for a good long time with a couple of potentially lethal bay leaves and a parmesan rind that you remove later

Béchamel sauce: I actually like to add a bit of mature cheddar cheese to my sauce for lasagne, I think it makes it extra cheesy and delicious

Dry lasagne noodles from the cheapest supermarket you can find (I was a student)

In a big dish, a thin layer of meat, layer of lasagne sheets, cheese sauce, keep repeating until you’re out of all three, then top with loads of grated cheese. Serve with a leafy green salad and some garlic bread, followed by chocolate brownies. Guaranteed to result in marriage to a diminutive Irish physicist.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I don’t like ricotta lasagne, the recipe with which I made my now-wife realise I wasn’t just a ridiculously handsome hedonistic fun guy to be around but could also cook and be good company on a night in was for lasagne.

Bolognese sauce: the secret to good bolognese is to cook it for a good long time with a couple of potentially lethal bay leaves and a parmesan rind that you remove later

Béchamel sauce: I actually like to add a bit of mature cheddar cheese to my sauce for lasagne, I think it makes it extra cheesy and delicious

Dry lasagne noodles from the cheapest supermarket you can find (I was a student)

In a big dish, a thin layer of meat, layer of lasagne sheets, cheese sauce, keep repeating until you’re out of all three, then top with loads of grated cheese. Serve with a leafy green salad and some garlic bread, followed by chocolate brownies. Guaranteed to result in marriage to a diminutive Irish physicist.

Oh yeah, I never add cheese to my lasagna except to the top, because there's a shitload in the bechamel.

I like using parmesan rinds for my worthy soup.

The first thing I made that impressed my now-wife was a lemon tart. To be fair it was bloody good.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

My spouse-obtaining dish is steak tartare.

Hand cut filet, brunoised onion, jalapeno, horseradish, capers, whatever else looks fresh. Mix the filet with egg yolk, salt and pepper, serve with toast points and piles of condiments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There’s marry me chicken, f me steak

Someone come up with a kill me fish