Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

how is there still no english dub for attack on titan: the final season: part 3: act 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ninjewtsu posted:

how is there still no english dub for attack on titan: the final season: part 3: act 1

Last I checked they still haven't even started released the Demon Slayer dub for season 3 yet either. It's enough to make a man give up the fight and go sub only from now on.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Time for a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84u5n1BTpWQ

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Rk7lPxFU0

12:30 Pacific tomorrow, get hype.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
well it's nice to know they are working on the final episode

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
November 4th.

Also I think the dub of part 1 came out this past weekend.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
The end for real this time tomorrow at 5pm PT/8PM EST

https://x.com/AttackOnTitanEN/status/1720440697072029906?s=20

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yup, it's really the end. Totally the end. Attack on Titan is completely done and finished and over for good.

Volume 35 comes out next April.

No, I'm not kidding.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

MJeff posted:

Yup, it's really the end. Totally the end. Attack on Titan is completely done and finished and over for good.

No, I'm not kidding.

This is extremely funny.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

MJeff posted:

No, I'm not kidding.

I'm sorry, WHAT?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Anyone else joining the After Party? I'm seriously considering it haha

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm sorry, WHAT?

It's an 18 page mini-comic included as a bonus for the artbook. Not a proper full volume. Just kind of an acknowledgement of the ending.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

It's an 18 page mini-comic included as a bonus for the artbook. Not a proper full volume. Just kind of an acknowledgement of the ending.

Boo! Got incredibly excited then

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Alan_Shore posted:

Boo! Got incredibly excited then

It's new canon content being written and drawn by Isayama you can still get a little excited.

Anyway Crunchyroll says 5 PM PDT today so about seven hours after this post.

Feb 2, 2005
Just rewatched part 1 of the finale in preparation for this. Goddamn do I love Levi's burning desire to wring all the blood out of Zeke's ugly loving face.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Well that felt somehow exactly as I expected, and yet somehow worse. Spoilers for the credits.

Still not a big fan of what they did with the ending, but the over credit scenes of Paradis ultimately being obliterated are somehow much more grim in motion.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://www.hulu.com/watch/ba1532c7-aa72-426a-a1f0-677cbdd17251
https://www.crunchyroll.com/watch/GWDU8ED5Q/attack-on-titan-final-season-the-final-chapters-special-2

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yooo I feel like they hosed yo the roll out bad there are like a bagillion people on the torrents and Hulu just sitting there without even a placeholder on the app.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Overall I'd say it was pretty dang enjoyable.

Spoiler stuff:

I was baffled why so many people seemed to hate the ending until I got to the credits, but that part is so hilariously, needlessly bleak I'm not even upset.

It didn't affect any of our people so whatever.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

a seagull posted:

Spoiler stuff:

I was baffled why so many people seemed to hate the ending until I got to the credits, but that part is so hilariously, needlessly bleak I'm not even upset.

That was stuff was added after the final chapter came out in a couple bonus pages. People just really hated the final chapter a lot.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

a seagull posted:

Spoiler stuff:

So, in the manga, that part was a little different.

It does Mikasa's funeral and then the next panel is a modern looking Shinganshina, like around our time or slightly before, with a squad of stealth bombers bombing it. And it goes immediately to the post apocalypse part from there. It's more or less implied that whatever peace they managed to secure lasted.....maybe a hundred years? And then the bombs start falling on Paradis. This extended it way, way, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out. I was absolutely shocked.

Also, another thing people disliked about the original ending was Armin and Eren's conversation and the end of that scene is WAY longer and significantly different, much to its improvement in my opinion.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

a seagull posted:

Spoiler stuff:

Manga spoilers, we got new stuff:

They appear to have changed/added to Eren and Armin’s final convo. The “Then I guess I’ll see you in hell” is new. The convo is actually much better in the anime, the one in the manga was really gross with Armin outright forgiving of Eren’s massacre. Here Armin basically didn’t let him escape blame, shouldering a lot of it on himself too.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

a seagull posted:

Spoiler stuff:

That was actually from the bonus chapter that made the ending less bad!

Spoilerssss:
The anime actually did a loving lot to fix the ending!

For you non-manga folk, Armin and Eren's dream exchange is a lot shorter in the manga.
In the manga, Eren basically says "ah yeah I had to kill everyone. Also Ymir is about love."
And Armin responds with "WOW YOU DID A GENOCIDE FOR US THANK YOU FOR DOING A GENOCIDE FOR US EREN T_T YOU'RE THE BEST"

vs the anime is "my head doesn't loving work, Armin, and I couldn't loving stop it"
And Armin says "welp I'm the one that put dreams of the outside world into your head so I guess we're both to blame for all of this poo poo"

And then Jean in the prologue saying "this is the life Eren forced on us"

All around the anime is a lot firmer in "gently caress Eren, he's a genocidal piece of poo poo, gently caress Eren

Manga panels in question:

Sockser fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 5, 2023

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I'm confused because I didn't hate it. I'm giving one bit a side-eye because I'm not sure what was intended and there were a few scenes where I would have lessened the schmaltz by portraying things less literally, but overall I thought it worked.

Probably helps that I was coming up with some terrible endings that would anger me and some that would anger other people and not me.

ETA: Holy poo poo I'm glad they changed what they did from the manga.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 5, 2023

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
To be clear in a non-spoiler context, the anime ending is the same, but some controversial character stuff has thankfully been addressed. So anime only watchers will get a bit of a different experience out of the ending.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
lol it also took out the worst line in the manga

armin thanking Eren at all is heavily reconceptualized, and it’s not thanking Eren for committing mass genocide for their sake

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I can't believe it is actually over. I'm still blown away by the story arc of AoT, I never would have guessed where it would end back at episode 1.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Oh my God the remix of ət'æk 0N Tάɪtn when Levi is fighting, holy loving awesome.

EDIT:

Jesus Christ all these remixes are loving hot fire.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 5, 2023

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Sockser posted:

Manga panels in question:

Good grief, yeah, the see you in hell, buddy :unsmith: version is way better and more poignant.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

It's confirmed that they were able to snag the animator who defined WIT's action scenes. I certainly noticed the return to style.

Spoilers for the climax here, seriously don't click it until you've seen it.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Isayama said in an interview very shortly after the manga wrapped up that he wasn't satisfied with the final convo between Eren and Armin. He said that the idea that he wanted to get across was Armin realizing the morbidity of the situation and his own culpability, acknowledging Eren as a friend but condemning his actions. But the dialogue in that scene was really clumsy and Isayama said he considered it a failure. It sounds like the new version is more in line with what he originally wanted to get across.

The bombing was not in the original release version of the final chapter. Originally, it ended on the dove, which felt weird and wrong and sappy given the carnage. Showing that Eren's plan for "lasting peace" is stupid and selfish and doomed to fail felt like an essential component missing from the original ending, and so that scene was added in the volume 34 release. I honestly think it saved the ending for me, because it more clearly brings the series to a thematic close. Plus the image of the giant tree, the persistence of the forest everyone is trying to escape, is a much more stark and powerful note to go out on.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Congrats to everyone else who successfully dodged spoilers for a decade

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Gabi is Eren if Eren were capable of introspection or change.

A lot of characters are Eren from a different perspective, like they illuminate different aspects of him

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

They pulled it off, they really pulled it off!

This was the best version of the final chapter of the three times I've experienced it: first release, extended manga ending, and anime. Such a better final conversation and that super-long future view....

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Beefstew posted:

The bombing was not in the original release version of the final chapter. Originally, it ended on the dove, which felt weird and wrong and sappy given the carnage. Showing that Eren's plan for "lasting peace" is stupid and selfish and doomed to fail felt like an essential component missing from the original ending, and so that scene was added in the volume 34 release. I honestly think it saved the ending for me, because it more clearly brings the series to a thematic close. Plus the image of the giant tree, the persistence of the forest everyone is trying to escape, is a much more stark and powerful note to go out on.

I agree for the most part, but I feel like seeing the metastasizing cancer of Jaegerism was enough to make the point while leaving some room for hope.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

Eren is plenty introspective, just fundamentally intractable.

As this episode highlighted, Eren is capable of real introspection. It's just that it tends to only result in him realizing he's an idiot who has no idea how to unfuck the situation he's in.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
That ended roughly how I expected (anime only). I liked it.

Reading the spoilered discussion on this page, seems like the ending could have been extremely bad. I can totally understand why people didn't like manga ending.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
So I understand that Eren did everything to make his friends heroes and have them live in an age of peace, but how does that work with him not being able to change anything about the future? Like, he says he tried everything to change things but that he couldn’t. Even 80% of the population dying was pre-determined. So how does Eren’s desires come into play here?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's not really the ending that bothers me, it's Ymir's motivation. She basically did not get enough time to truly explain her stockholm syndrome. Even when the main character explained it through his own lens, it makes no sense. Her whole reason for existence was to wait for mikasa to be born so that she kills eren and finds true love? That was worth oppressing people for 2000 years? I find this unsatisfactory.

As for the ending itself, yeah it's bleak, but I think the writer wrote himself into a corner and had to admit humanity just sucks rear end sometimes.

I do want to point out a small thing: the birds, the ones that keep showing up in key scenes? Apparently didn't mean anything significant, until one of them grabbed mikasa's scarf at the end. That felt kinda hackneyed. Why even have them at all?

Overall the journey was more exciting. We kind of knew where things had to end after the basement scene, but this was a show with some of the best character motivations I've ever seen in an anime and that largely kept up even when the overall history/setting finally got laid out to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Brutakas posted:

That ended roughly how I expected (anime only). I liked it.

Reading the spoilered discussion on this page, seems like the ending could have been extremely bad. I can totally understand why people didn't like manga ending.

This is the third different version of the ending we've gotten, so yeah, it's been a somewhat bumpy ride. But it has improved incrementally each time, which is nice!