Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ryaomon posted:

I have this red text for a reason remember

Because you suck and aren't funny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Kid was 2 seconds from wiping the Red Hair fleet so Shanks went right to Gear 5th Island Sized Fist level of attack, Kid tanked hits from Big Mam with no issue so anything less wouldn’t have worked. But then Shanks needed help to wreck their ship, something Zoro can do in his sleep. Why didn’t he just swing his sword twice? Probably can’t.

Shanks specced into Anti-Personnel damage but his Anti-Ship capabilities are lacking. Its why you really need a balanced crew if you want to make it to max-level Pirate - imagine where Luffy would be right now if he didn't have a doctor and a cook to buff him back to full health after every encounter.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
When you serve under a guy that crucifies people don't expect the white flag to work as a get out of jail free card

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Eiba posted:

That poster really hates Jinbei for some reason. Which is fine, but there's also been a lot of "I don't like this character, therefore they are weak" going on, which leads to some really bizarre takes.

freak behavior imo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the correct take is to dislike characters because they're weak.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
hosed up take, Nami and Usopp are top tier Straw Hats.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Nami and Usopp are very strong though

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

scary ghost dog posted:

he turned out to be sabo. it was a big reveal

Still makes me laugh when people don't realize this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/toeianimation/status/1720832044396069297?s=46&t=obSLO6zdooWGYO_nOYdUzg

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

We made it, guys.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I love Yamato, he's my buddy and I hope he has lots of adventures with the Strawhats.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Kid is so strong, his super attack scared wittle ol Shanks enough for him to sucker punch Kid to avoid an actual fight

Law ain't got anything on that

I disagree with your beliefs but I respect the logic behind them

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"And coming up behind that Monday-hating feline is one... uh... ah, LUH-fee Monkey!"

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

anime was right posted:

given that dragons a marine doesnt that give more credence to the theory that hes the guy with the 4th poneglyph

- dark boat
- "works for the wg"
- can make whirlwinds in the ocean with a df power

the only things that dont really add up is the timeline on all of these is never at the same time

Then Robin would probably already have it?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I thought Saul had the next Poneglyph

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Better call him to be sure

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kild posted:

Then Robin would probably already have it?

It would be kinda amazing if everybody goes racing off after the location of the Fourth Road Poneglyph while the Strawhearts are left behind, and then Robin just goes,"Oh I already have that :)"

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 5, 2023

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

It would kinda amazing if everybody goes racing off after the location of the Fourth Road Poneglyph while the Strawhearts are left behind, and then Robin just goes,"Oh I already have that :)"

There’s a conspicuous close-up of Robin when they’re discussing it at the end of Wano. She knows something

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Imagining the Enelfaces we'll get when Robin impassively reveals that she knows where the One Piece is

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Robin's entire vibe post-timeskip is clearly knowing much more than she lets on but she doesn't talk about any of it because Luffy does not give a gently caress.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Robin's entire vibe post-timeskip is clearly knowing much more than she lets on but she doesn't talk about any of it because Luffy does not give a gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHD4PuYQn7Y

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wachter posted:

Imagining the Enelfaces we'll get when Robin impassively reveals that she knows where the One Piece is

Usopp: :supaburn:
Nami: :stare:
Chopper: :derp:
Jinbei: :thunk:
Franky: :aaa:
Brook: :stwoon:
Sanji: :swoon:
Zoro: :geno:
Luffy: :lol:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1720906068962824371?s=20

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
As another point to Jinbe, in the scene where Luffy and the gang are decided whether they're going to have to jump Greenbull, it's Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, and Jinbe.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

woke mafia strikes again

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Gologle posted:

As another point to Jinbe, in the scene where Luffy and the gang are decided whether they're going to have to jump Greenbull, it's Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, and Jinbe.

Yeah, Jimbei's always gonna be up there. Same as Yamato, once he joins. But there's always been a monster trio and there probably always will be. Like, Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji will always take the 3 strongest guys. Half the reason why Yamato didn't join in Wano, I think, is beacause he's already way better at conqueror's Haki than Zoro and Sanji. It's why those two got stuck with King and Queen, while Yamato was tangling to stall Kaidou.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Macy Day One Piece makes me happy that it's maybe finally getting popular here in the States. Anecdotally, went to multiple Halloween concerts and Straw Hat's are a thing now. Saw multiple bartenders, patrons, and people on the street dressed in OP costumes. Feels like it's on the ascent.

Fun time for it to hit it off too, might actually finish before it gets passee and people get annoyed at said popularity.

Ryaomon posted:

I have this red text for a reason remember

Rare to see an earnest "you wanna know how I got these scars?" in the wild.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Macy Day One Piece makes me happy that it's maybe finally getting popular here in the States. Anecdotally, went to multiple Halloween concerts and Straw Hat's are a thing now. Saw multiple bartenders, patrons, and people on the street dressed in OP costumes. Feels like it's on the ascent.

Netflix show probably did its job and gave it a nice boost.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Fun time for it to hit it off too, might actually finish before it gets passee and people get annoyed at said popularity.

I don't know a lot about American fans, but do you really think it's popular enough to become passé? Like, maybe the Live Action series has been a real hit over there, but down the border I've talked to a couple of people who've been interested but that's about it

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Waffleman_ posted:

Netflix show probably did its job and gave it a nice boost.

It's been on the rise for a while but the Netflix show absolutely supercharged it

they want shady
May 11, 2013
It really didn't help that back in the day (I'm talking about 2005 or thereabouts, we got a Spanish dub in México that was based on the 4kids script but was otherwise unchanged From the original (think we dubbed we aré, even)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also I think One Piece is at a pretty decent level of mainstream popularity right now, it's obviously getting pretty known in America, but it's not like...so much so that it'll annoy people who aren't already knee deep in anime fandom.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

they want shady posted:

It really didn't help that back in the day (I'm talking about 2005 or thereabouts, we got a Spanish dub in México that was based on the 4kids script but was otherwise unchanged From the original (think we dubbed we aré, even)

I knew it was the case for the US and Canada, but I didn't know Mexico was in the same boat. It really can't be understated how much damage the 4kids dub did to One Piece in North America.

North America is an anime-first continent, with dubs being a much bigger deal than most hardcore anime fans realize and/or want to admit, and I really believe the pre-Netflix rise in popularity is due to the series being discovered by a generation of kids that didn't grow up with the 4kids dub.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The great thing is that Zoro is legit down to do that.

For all his sternness Zoro's a bro and really dedicated to Luffy.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We went from the Monster Trio to Captain + His 3 Strongest Mateys (Big Mom had her 4-turned-3 Sweet Commanders, and Kaido had his 3 Disasters and I guess Whitebeard had the trio of Jozu and Vista and Marco?).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The 4kids dub is bad BUT the rap is immaculate

Zero flaws

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The 4Kids rap is the only One Piece OP to completely capture the tone of One Piece.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

mikeycp posted:

The 4kids dub is bad BUT the rap is immaculate

Zero flaws

Absolutely, despite being Mexican I actually became a fan beacause of the 4kids dub lol. So when I read the manga I was blown away. Also the reason I could pinpoint where the script came from when the dub started down here.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

I knew it was the case for the US and Canada, but I didn't know Mexico was in the same boat. It really can't be understated how much damage the 4kids dub did to One Piece in North America.

North America is an anime-first continent, with dubs being a much bigger deal than most hardcore anime fans realize and/or want to admit, and I really believe the pre-Netflix rise in popularity is due to the series being discovered by a generation of kids that didn't grow up with the 4kids dub.

And yeah, I knew that was the case in México but I didn't know it was the same in Canada. 4kids really did gently caress over an entire continent lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

We went from the Monster Trio to Captain + His 3 Strongest Mateys (Big Mom had her 4-turned-3 Sweet Commanders, and Kaido had his 3 Disasters and I guess Whitebeard had the trio of Jozu and Vista and Marco?).

I came across a theory that the theme that the Strawhats will end up with is some sort of divine pantheon. Jinbe, Zoro, and Sanji will be divine commanders of the sea, land, and air. Usopp of course already has a god title, Nami will be weather, and Chopper will be a divine doctor. Brook and Robin aren't quite as clear, but I guess they would be shoved into an Underworld King and Knowledge Goddess.

I don't think it was on here, but who knows. We toss a lot of crazy poo poo against the wall here.