Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kild posted:

He'd be working for SWORD?
This is why his fight with Garp kind of proved to me that the plausible idea that he has some secret loyalty to the Navy was wrong. He didn't just incidentally end up fighting the Navy, he ended up fighting Sword. If there was any group that would support him being a loose cannon it's that one. While he could just have such an important mission he didn't want to blow his cover, the framing felt like he really had his own agenda. That agenda will probably be benevolent in the end- I think Kuzan has proven himself to be a good guy- but I don't think he's working with the Navy on any level.

Incidentally, I think it's interesting that Sword are not just "good guy Navy" or whatever, they're Navy who are using a loophole to gently caress with the Emperors. They're especially aggressive Navy, who disagree with Navy leadership about how cautious it is. We've seen that it's full of good and brave people, but I can see why someone upset about Sakazuki's Absolute Justice wouldn't exactly find refuge in Sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

He was fighting sword because sword and Garp are the only marines dumb enough to attack Blackbeard head on like that.

I feel like the entire Garp vs. Kuzan fight was Garp telling Kuzan to suck it up and stop half assing whatever he's doing with the Blackbeard pirates, which I've gotta assume means they're in on it together somehow.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

JahRoo posted:

He was fighting sword because sword and Garp are the only marines dumb enough to attack Blackbeard head on like that.

I feel like the entire Garp vs. Kuzan fight was Garp telling Kuzan to suck it up and stop half assing whatever he's doing with the Blackbeard pirates, which I've gotta assume means they're in on it together somehow.
I think if you read 1087 and 1088 again you will see there is not much basis for that.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Blackbeard was fine just hanging back until the cards fell into place, and if they didn't no big deal. Then Thatch found the one fruit that would set off his plan and it's crewmate killing time.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think the people who liked the undercover theory were specifically peeved that he would join Blackbeard of all pirates.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

bobjr posted:

Blackbeard was fine just hanging back until the cards fell into place, and if they didn't no big deal. Then Thatch found the one fruit that would set off his plan and it's crewmate killing time.

I always found it weird that Blackbeard didn't even try and ask Thatch if he could have the fruit. Just jumped straight to murder. Like, sure, be willing to fight for your dreams or whatever, but maybe try other steps first.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eiba posted:

This is why his fight with Garp kind of proved to me that the plausible idea that he has some secret loyalty to the Navy was wrong. He didn't just incidentally end up fighting the Navy, he ended up fighting Sword. If there was any group that would support him being a loose cannon it's that one. While he could just have such an important mission he didn't want to blow his cover, the framing felt like he really had his own agenda. That agenda will probably be benevolent in the end- I think Kuzan has proven himself to be a good guy- but I don't think he's working with the Navy on any level.

Incidentally, I think it's interesting that Sword are not just "good guy Navy" or whatever, they're Navy who are using a loophole to gently caress with the Emperors. They're especially aggressive Navy, who disagree with Navy leadership about how cautious it is. We've seen that it's full of good and brave people, but I can see why someone upset about Sakazuki's Absolute Justice wouldn't exactly find refuge in Sword.

Oda also explained their system more in the recent SBS.

Sword members are proper Marines, but they have turned in all of their resignation papers, which are just waiting on the final approval stamps. Thus if a Sword member is ever involved in something the Marine's don't want any part of, they can just put the final stamp on, and say that person is not a Marine and submitted their resignation a while back.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Luffy also killed in order to get his devil fruit, y'know

That's right, in the One Piece Universe, chests are actually sentient beings.

Gaimon is a mature adult of this species, and Shanks and Uta were infants.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

So is Gaimon just wearing his shell?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gyges posted:

I always found it weird that Blackbeard didn't even try and ask Thatch if he could have the fruit. Just jumped straight to murder. Like, sure, be willing to fight for your dreams or whatever, but maybe try other steps first.

its possible thatch ate the fruit first, or they fought over it and blackbeard killed him in the process.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
If Gaimon had a Logia or Zoan fruit would he transform out of the treasure chest or would it transform along with him?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

he'd die because he already ate the treasure treasure fruit

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Edit: ignore

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

It's actually a chest that ate the Hito Hito no mi model: Bob Ross

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

anime was right posted:

its possible thatch ate the fruit first, or they fought over it and blackbeard killed him in the process.

I think it’s really as simple as the fact that Teach had his dream in front of him and lost his temper and did something he regrets for pragmatic reasons if nothing else. Like, I have no doubt he would have just assassinated Thatch and bought a sack of [insert fruit here] if it came down to it, or any other captain (and it probably wouldn’t even be that hard between it being a devil fruit and the “take more damage one” specifically) but the panel we see of him seething is the one time he looks truly livid.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

If Luffy is the somehow the reason Ginny got captured it's even crazier he protected the crew and Sunny.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Why would he be

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kild posted:

If Luffy is the somehow the reason Ginny got captured it's even crazier he protected the crew and Sunny.

What

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Even if you're subscribing to the theory that Ginny is Luffy's mom, this is happening when Luffy is 5. Luffy didn't eat the Gum Gum Fruit until he was 7 and it's very clear that Ginny is not a part of Luffy's life anyway. There'd be no reason.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Why would he be

I’m extremely curious about this as well. He would have been five years old at the time

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I think it was made pretty clear that Luffy's parents left him with Garp pretty much immediately after he was born so it's pretty unlikely even if you wanna believe that he's related to Ginny.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Baby Luffy was a WG spy.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Why would he be

No reason, just she was the commander of the eastern forces which implies she was stationed in east blue and 5 year old Luffy is before anything we've seen from Luffy's flashbacks iirc.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I feel like if hypothetical Kindergarten Luffy was involved in this then Ivankov would not have reacted nearly as surprised when Luffy said that Dragon was his dad.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
In a shocking twist, it turns out Luffy's Mom is actually Frankie's parents! Both of them!!

And Iceburg was there too!!!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Nobody expected one of Kuro's 1000 plans to have been kidnapping a Revolutionary Commander.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

GLR's video pointed out that the Germa 66 invasion of East Blue happened very close to this time (13 years ago) and the island Ginny's on does look sortof like the one they invaded. Probably a coincidence tho since it's pretty generic for a One Piece island

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Gyges posted:

No reason he couldn't have asked first.

Blackbeard: "Hey Thatch, could I have that fruit you found?"
Thatch: "No, I wanna keep it"
*stab*

Apocron posted:

I wonder what Oda's perspective on Jesus/Christianity is. Even from early days there's been references (Sodom/Gomorroah as names of Franky's King Bulls) or Kuma carrying a bible. Now Kuma is literally taking on the pain of others which is a Jesus parallel if ever there was one let alone him being a "pastor."

It's interesting to me that we see Kuma now as a pastor and during that entire career he's never shown carrying a bible, we see him carrying a bible as a Tyrant. Despite all the christianity vibes he gives this chapter I'm not entirely sure it's a holy bible, it could be the Travel Bible for all we know.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Apocron posted:

I wonder what Oda's perspective on Jesus/Christianity is. Even from early days there's been references (Sodom/Gomorroah as names of Franky's King Bulls) or Kuma carrying a bible. Now Kuma is literally taking on the pain of others which is a Jesus parallel if ever there was one let alone him being a "pastor."
I always felt like 3D2Y was a reference to the 3-day resurrection of Jesus too

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Gologle posted:

I think the people who liked the undercover theory were specifically peeved that he would join Blackbeard of all pirates.

well, yeah. hes a cool guy (heh heh) who up and joined the bad guys for no reason other than "eh, might as well"

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Man with Hat posted:

It's interesting to me that we see Kuma now as a pastor and during that entire career he's never shown carrying a bible, we see him carrying a bible as a Tyrant. Despite all the christianity vibes he gives this chapter I'm not entirely sure it's a holy bible, it could be the Travel Bible for all we know.

it's the bible of nika, obviously

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
it's a Michelin guide

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

It’s the guide to being pawesome

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Why do we assume Kuma is reading the Bible instead of writing it?

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Scholtz posted:

Why do we assume Kuma is reading the Bible instead of writing it?

We see him reference it before sending Perona away. Of course, writing it and referencing it are not mutually exclusive.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Just so people are aware, spoilers are trending on twitter about the latest chapter although the leaks aren't out yet. There will be a break after this chapter.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Desperate Character posted:

Just so people are aware, spoilers are trending on twitter about the latest chapter although the leaks aren't out yet. There will be a break after this chapter.

:whitewater:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
No, break next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003