Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

The SupSup Patreon was jam packed with new plot hooks. But one of the biggest was probably that chainers are some sort of religious adherents among Artonans and Lute's family is closely connected to them. It makes the Velra family a lot more cult like than they were before. And Lute's reaction to the phrase "prostrated myself before you at a feast" gives Lute's earlier questions about how to decline food a lot more context (though not enough to fully get it yet)

I get the impression that the group in question is just a sort of cult and not exactly a significant/powerful thing in Artonan society (and that the whole situation was mainly being played for laughs). Like, "people who have religious/cult-like beliefs regarding word-chains/chainers" just seems like an element of Artonan society akin to, I dunno, Mormons or something. I could definitely be wrong, but I don't anticipate it being a significant plot thing down the line.

One unrelated thing from the pre-chapter comments is that I was happy to see that, after the comments criticizing it, Sleyca reflected on the Boe stuff and just reaffirmed her belief that it's important/necessary (but decided to try and improve on it). I never really understood the backlash to the Boe stuff. I understand the backlash to the slower and less high-stakes pace of the series as a whole, even if I disagree with it, but not so much the Boe thing specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

my read of the implications is that there are Artonans who are basically the equivalent of flagellant monks that voluntarily endure the negative half of wordchains for chainers/Knights/etc, partly for religious reasons and partly to just enable them to cast more/more powerful wordchains (since all the blowback is being borne by other people - Stuart seems to imply there are some can only be cast safely if the negative half is borne by (split among?) other people). The "feast" is presumably this opportunity to chain as much as you want without fear, and "I want to feed myself" that Lute was trying to learn is assumedly the language to tell these people you want to suffer the negative half yourself? People wanting you to chain more solely so there's more negative halves for them to suffer through (because suffering more makes it more moral, of course) sounds both totally where that would go and also a horrific thing to have to regularly deal with.

In terms of plot significance, Stuart outright says they're a recognized group by the Senate and that he'd be a bit of a hypocrite trying to play down their efforts - presumably Knights/wizards who practice chaining regularly would tend to attract these people and a non-zero number of the Art'hs would have them included among their support staff, and any of the chainers/Velras being summoned are probably going into a situation where some of them are waiting (because if they're summoning a chainer it's to perform chains). And on the gripping hand, it's the sort of thing that would easily play into the story's themes regarding the perpetuation of imbalanced power structures. I think this is going to end up being one of the larger plot threads we pick up on in the Artonan parts of the story.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Nick Buntline posted:

my read of the implications is that there are Artonans who are basically the equivalent of flagellant monks that voluntarily endure the negative half of wordchains for chainers/Knights/etc, partly for religious reasons and partly to just enable them to cast more/more powerful wordchains (since all the blowback is being borne by other people - Stuart seems to imply there are some can only be cast safely if the negative half is borne by (split among?) other people). The "feast" is presumably this opportunity to chain as much as you want without fear, and "I want to feed myself" that Lute was trying to learn is assumedly the language to tell these people you want to suffer the negative half yourself? People wanting you to chain more solely so there's more negative halves for them to suffer through (because suffering more makes it more moral, of course) sounds both totally where that would go and also a horrific thing to have to regularly deal with.

In terms of plot significance, Stuart outright says they're a recognized group by the Senate and that he'd be a bit of a hypocrite trying to play down their efforts - presumably Knights/wizards who practice chaining regularly would tend to attract these people and a non-zero number of the Art'hs would have them included among their support staff, and any of the chainers/Velras being summoned are probably going into a situation where some of them are waiting (because if they're summoning a chainer it's to perform chains). And on the gripping hand, it's the sort of thing that would easily play into the story's themes regarding the perpetuation of imbalanced power structures. I think this is going to end up being one of the larger plot threads we pick up on in the Artonan parts of the story.

(SupSup 103 Patreon) Good catch. One benefit of this: If there's an organization that does this for Artonian chaining, then Alden can take BoAB's Wordchain functionality without worrying that he'll be continually summoned for taking the bad halves of wordchains, the way he's worried about taking pain Bearer. Less of a concern with his ability to hide parts of his status, but if he's eventually working with Knights and being honest with them then he might be able to take that functionality without all of the associated negatives.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nick Buntline posted:

Those are some good points. I guess it might come back to my very early theory that word-chains are somehow deeply tied into the setting's metaphysics. On a purely textual/tone level I didn't get the impression that it was supposed to be a big deal, but I completely forgot about the thing you mentioned with them being recognized by the Senate so you're probably correct.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I'm not going to spoiler tag Boe stuff discussion because it's been posted on Royal Road so it's all not just public but a couple chapters back. If I am missing something and should spoiler, let me know. (SupSup 89 discussion for reference)

I think the backlash was overblown, but it was reacting to a genuine problem. The first version's pacing was not just slow; it was bad. The story did not give readers a good on-ramp to caring about Boe the same way Alden does. At the same time, it was interrupting the start of the hero school arc to be all about Alden and Boe.

The revised version is much much better. It builds that on-ramp, and it makes a big difference. It ends at the same place, but it gets there so much more smoothly that I think it improves the pay off. I say that as someone who liked the payoff enough in the original version that it won me over to the whole Boe diversion being good.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Interesting, maybe I should go back and look at the Patreon stuff, if it's public now.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It's wonderful how Sleyca was willing to take the criticism and improve her story. She didn't get defensive and dig in her heels, nor has she fallen into the trap of trying to please the lowest common denominator, sticking to vision for her story.

A Practical Guide to Evil Vol 7: Chapter Interlude: East III

Akua has really had an amazing arc. Going from villain number 1 opposed to Cat to honestly and unselfishly healing refugees in her listlessness after returning to the Empire. I was honestly expecting her to betray Cat for several books, but it seems like Cat has actually done it. She's turned Akua and made her legitimately despise her past actions and self.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 8, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SupSup 104: I'm guessing the end of the chapter might be the Earth System letting Alden know it's time to affix? That could explain why he's so upset about it. It would gently caress him up for a while and prevent him from using magic, and I also suspect it might gently caress up his "undercover" thing (though I definitely didn't expect that to happen so soon if it's the case).

edit: Maybe it's just the system letting Alden know he leveled, though I feel like Mother's communication with Earth's System would have prevented it from fruitlessly asking Alden to level up before he's willing to.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 8, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

SupSup 104: I'm guessing the end of the chapter might be the Earth System letting Alden know it's time to affix? That could explain why he's so upset about it. It would gently caress him up for a while and prevent him from using magic, and I also suspect it might gently caress up his "undercover" thing (though I definitely didn't expect that to happen so soon if it's the case).

edit: Maybe it's just the system letting Alden know he leveled, though I feel like Mother's communication with Earth's System would have prevented it from fruitlessly asking Alden to level up before he's willing to.

Could also be Mother. The hot chocolate earlier from the mysterious benefactor is an obvious call-back to his chat with Mother on Artona I. Though it's also possible it's Earth trying to crib on her style.

That said I don't think Alden is really due for an affixation yet. I would think he would be aware if he's starting to get in danger of overbalancing.

Edit: Another possibility too is that Mother wants Alden to reveal his secret to Stuart to help him through his affixation, and this is a chat about that. I imagine Alden's introspection about his purpose on the call with Stuart earlier that week have really pumped up her estimation on how good of a knight or squire he would make.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 8, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Could also be Mother. The hot chocolate earlier from the mysterious benefactor is an obvious call-back to his chat with Mother on Artona I. Though it's also possible it's Earth trying to crib on her style.

That said I don't think Alden is really due for an affixation yet. I would think he would be aware if he's starting to get in danger of overbalancing.

I also think it's too early for an affixation, but the hot chocolate seems to only make sense as "a consolation for the bad thing that's going to happen later." If it's just "Earth System offering the first of multiple level-ups that Alden will reject prior to affixation," the hot chocolate doesn't make much sense. Same if it's just "Mother wants to chat with Alden about something." I also doubt Alden will ever wait until he's at risk of overbalancing again; IIRC Mother said/implied that he wouldn't be waiting that long between affixations. So I don't think Alden will actually feel the overbalancing again, unless he gets stuck away from a System again like on Thegund.

It's also not that inconceivable that he could need an affixation. While he's only been actively using his skill for (I think?) a month or so, simply "being aware of his authority/affixation" causes growth, and he's likely been taxing his Skill more than ever before in the last month. So that's effectively a few months of significant growth (and future affixations will be wider and wider apart). Still feels early to me (since I was thinking more like 6-12 months until the next one), but not completely impossible.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 8, 2023

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

he's probably upset about it because it was the singularly most agonizing thing he has ever experienced and thats the sort of thing that is going to leave a ton of trauma

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

he's probably upset about it because it was the singularly most agonizing thing he has ever experienced and thats the sort of thing that is going to leave a ton of trauma

That's basically what I was saying. He interprets the door as a likely request to do an affixation. He doesn't seem to have a reflexive fear of everything associated with that experience, though, since he doesn't react to the topic of Mother like this (even though it would be reasonable if he did, since she literally performed the "procedure"). So basically what I'm saying is that I think this isn't a purely reflexive thing, and is instead Alden consciously realizing what this might mean.

Kinda related to this, but Mother really should have ordered the Earth system to inform Alden when the time for an affixation is upcoming. It should be pretty simple to predict by monitoring his growth rate. It's immensely lovely to just suddenly spring it on him, especially since it disables him for an extended period of time.

Though maybe that's exactly what this is - Alden being informed of a rough "timeline." I think that might make a lot of sense, since the System probably has a good understanding of Alden's growth rate now that he's settled into his training routine.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Beware of Chicken has a short story up about an alternate universe where Jin get sent to a different sect and it's really good.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Beware of Chicken has a short story up about an alternate universe where Jin get sent to a different sect and it's really good.

Thanks for letting me know, that WAS pretty fun so far. Some neat bonus world building for the main story too.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
When he first started posting it I thought "ah, this is the harem smut AU since the main story pivoted away from that". I was very wrong.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Plorkyeran posted:

When he first started posting it I thought "ah, this is the harem smut AU since the main story pivoted away from that". I was very wrong.
Give AU Bi De time.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Plorkyeran posted:

No, it is the harem smut parody AU.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
I don't see any smut? How can you read this and have anything but the purest thoughts?

“Thank you for the praise, Elder Song.” Rou said, bowing.

“Hpmh. Treasure it.” Song said, but the regal appearance was ruined by the fact that she was petting Rou’s cock.

Or this?

They ate their fill of the delicious meal, and Bailu cleared away their dishes.

Their Young Master was smiling at his cock, and stroking it when they returned.

“Alright. I’m going to head to bed tonight. Thank you for sharing the meal with me, Bailu, Seiyu.”

“Young Master, do you need us to warm your bed tonight?” Seiyu asked, the same as they had asked every night.

I love how Bi De is way weaker and has to fight hard to kill kill even the smallest (qi-filled) grasshopper assaulting Jin's spirit herbs.
Main story Bi De got to grow into strength eating herbs, bugs and guarding against the foxes. But here he's way behind, but still brave.
Turns out, if you try hard enough, a beak is no hindrance to smirking like an arrogant young master.

"With balls!"

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 10, 2023

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Thresholder 79 (Patreon) I like how we got an interlude to introduce us to Jeff, what an enormous tool he is, and, crucially, a couple clues towards his powers that Perry doesn’t yet have. I think this is a very clever usage of the serial format, because it purposefully shapes how the readers are chewing on the story between chapters by preemptively answering questions that might otherwise have been asked and also raising new ones that might not otherwise have had time to breathe. Jeff is only as dangerous as he is because we already know he has bug powers, is completely okay with genocide, and is almost certainly a rapist, and we know this already so we don’t need to spend half a week pondering about just how bad he is. We’ve also got a few extra bits of information about his spooky information-gathering power that we can already be speculating on (he’s definitely in a death-based time loop), which means the author can throw the actual solution at us a chapter or two earlier because the readers have already had their fun with the mystery.

Alexander Wales is getting real dang good at writing serials and I am not looking forward to Thresholder ending.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm not reading ahead but yeah after the first arc Thresholder got a lot stronger.

His weakness in the first arc was that Wales is an author that likes a lot of shades of gray, and the first arc was too gray, especially for a progression story. Protagonist wasn't a paladin or super evil, just kind of practical and middling on morality. Central conflict was unclear and both sides were kinda bad. Antagonist wasn't really that evil. There just wasn't much to hook you in. And the Victorian urban fantasy setting was more depressing than enthralling.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Also I just do not care about vampires and werewolves
I have like negative interest in those settings

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

I recently had a lot of free time so I randomly read some stuff on the top rated section of RR. Most of it was whatever but I must say I really did end up liking Carousel. It does something fresh with the LitRPG concepts by applying them to tropey horror movies. The actual adventures tend to be kinda whatever but the overarching plotline is pretty intriguing. The big lore dump at the end of Part 1 was neat, setting up for some really interesting stuff to happen in Part 2 soon.

I think Carousel has had a noticeable improvement in, like, character stuff and letting the story breathe little and dialogue.

RBA-Wintrow posted:

For those, like me, who missed any announcements or links:

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/76677/boc-alternate-universe-soaring-heavens-isle

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Orbis Tertius 44

I kinda figured this was where the story was going, but drat. I’m enjoying the story— the prose is good, the different environments are compelling, there’s enough there for interesting ethnography— but Jesus it’s bleak. Everything hasn’t come up Carza in a very long time.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Cicero posted:

I'm not reading ahead but yeah after the first arc Thresholder got a lot stronger.

His weakness in the first arc was that Wales is an author that likes a lot of shades of gray, and the first arc was too gray, especially for a progression story. Protagonist wasn't a paladin or super evil, just kind of practical and middling on morality. Central conflict was unclear and both sides were kinda bad. Antagonist wasn't really that evil. There just wasn't much to hook you in. And the Victorian urban fantasy setting was more depressing than enthralling.

Wasn't it like the point of Thresholder as NaNoWriMo story that Perry was wrong? He broods so much on the first two worlds and thinks of some great destructive enemy Enemy that he has to defeat that he completely missed the point that he himself has become that sort of person (see him attacking the other Thresholder immediately without warning, AKA what happened to him him beforehand); thus showing how such such people exist, not because they are inherently evil, but because they learned to be this way from other Thresholders.

Now that the story is not a single novella but rather an ongoing story Wales has changed tacks with Perry, but I think Perry was meant to be wrong for the entirety of the third world.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
That was the vibe I got although I didn't finish the Victorian world. The heavy flashbacks parallel current Perry with his first antagonist and the more reasonable, compromising, antagonist he faces this time definitely put Perry in a bad light.

Edit: I think part of the reason I dropped it is I kept waiting for some introspection and the "wait, are we the bad guys?" moment that didn't happen.

Kyoujin fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 11, 2023

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yeah third world Perry gets called out by Flora for being too murder happy, and then the very next day is all, "What if we just poisoned all their food, oops I killed your source's dad and threw his dismembered corpse in the river." And he doesn't really get better in the fourth world so much as Maya beats him the first time they fight and other thresholder is in fact a murderous lunatic.

E: Yeah introspection is very much not Perry's deal.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SupSup 105: Looks like I was basically right about the meeting essentially being a "progress update" (though with some other info mixed in). Also seems like the time-frame I had in mind was pretty accurate - no more than a year, maybe somewhat less. So Alden will probably be able to go through most of this first year while staying "low profile."

That first affixation is going to probably be when everything falls apart, since (even if he can get an excuse for being out of commission for weeks) Alden's going to suddenly have a Skill that is far more powerful than it should be. I guess he could keep faking it, but he's already having to resort to tricks to keep it reasonable.

Getting hard numbers on the ratio of free authority to affixed authority was also interesting, and it was directly implied that "free authority equal to - or in excess of - affixed authority" is when the problems start (since Alden made assumptions based on the idea that he'd have to affix by the time it reached 100%).

edit: Also, was it ever mentioned before that each foundation point amounts to a 10% increase? I guess the strongest Brutes must have like hundreds of foundation points or something.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SupSup 105
Also Alden is on track, if his math is right, to gain somewhere between 10 and the low 20's levels in a year (both bound and unbound combined). While 3 levels in a year is considered a crazy dedicated person's level of effort.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

SupSup 105:
edit: Also, was it ever mentioned before that each foundation point amounts to a 10% increase? I guess the strongest Brutes must have like hundreds of foundation points or something.

yeah it was, somewhere early on (when alden was affixing probably)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

That first affixation is going to probably be when everything falls apart, since (even if he can get an excuse for being out of commission for weeks) Alden's going to suddenly have a Skill that is far more powerful than it should be. I guess he could keep faking it, but he's already having to resort to tricks to keep it reasonable.

I sort of wonder if he’d be able to leverage his (soon to be increasing) circle of off-planet friends with knowledge of /sympathy towards knight authority issues to get summoned while he’s indisposed, though that has its own problems relating to info he may be disinclined/unable to share

obviously that doesn’t do anything about hiding the power scaling though

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 105
Also Alden is on track, if his math is right, to gain somewhere between 10 and the low 20's levels in a year (both bound and unbound combined). While 3 levels in a year is considered a crazy dedicated person's level of effort.

Another way of putting this is that we can expect Alden to finish his first year of hero high school with as many levels as a hero college graduate. This is absolutely enough to make turning him into a lab rat a pretty attractive option. It will be interesting to see how his quiet rabbit ability will try and compensate.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wittgen posted:

Another way of putting this is that we can expect Alden to finish his first year of hero high school with as many levels as a hero college graduate. This is absolutely enough to make turning him into a lab rat a pretty attractive option. It will be interesting to see how his quiet rabbit ability will try and compensate.

The commendation makes Anesidora treating him that poorly essentially out of the question. Alden effectively has a sort of diplomatic immunity as far as Anesidoran authorities are concerned.

One other thing to keep in mind is that even an "Alden who is growing stronger at an unprecedented rate" is still pretty powerless against most other human Avowed, including A and S Ranks his age. Someone like Finlay is still basically untouchable, much less adult heroes. It'll mainly just ruin normalcy because it'll put him into a situation where he can't continue a normal life.

Maybe he can figure it out, though. It's not hard to hide stuff like "his shield being stronger" or any additional abilities he gets for it (it's not like he's using his enchantment bearing thing at all right now).

LGD posted:

I sort of wonder if he’d be able to leverage his (soon to be increasing) circle of off-planet friends with knowledge of /sympathy towards knight authority issues to get summoned while he’s indisposed, though that has its own problems relating to info he may be disinclined/unable to share

obviously that doesn’t do anything about hiding the power scaling though

I think he shouldn't have too much trouble figuring out something for that. Earth System or Mother would probably be willing to do something.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 13, 2023

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

The commendation makes Anesidora treating him that poorly essentially out of the question. Alden effectively has a sort of diplomatic immunity as far as Anesidoran authorities are concerned.

One other thing to keep in mind is that even an "Alden who is growing stronger at an unprecedented rate" is still pretty powerless against most other human Avowed, including A and S Ranks his age. Someone like Finlay is still basically untouchable, much less adult heroes. It'll mainly just ruin normalcy because it'll put him into a situation where he can't continue a normal life.

Maybe he can figure it out, though. It's not hard to hide stuff like "his shield being stronger" or any additional abilities he gets for it (it's not like he's using his enchantment bearing thing at all right now).

I think he shouldn't have too much trouble figuring out something for that. Earth System or Mother would probably be willing to do something.

the bigger issue is that the affixation remains an intensely traumatic event. Like it's easy to presume that Alden will be able to bear it but this is the thing that led a woman in her twenties who had been prepared for this her entire life to seek euthanization.

Frankly I don't believe Alden is going to be able to handle this without one hell of a loving support group both on the triplanets and on Earth

e: comment from sleyca on patreon: "I want to answer everyone individually but I’m having some trouble with my tech tonight, so I’ll put this here and hope people see it:

*Small affixations being less traumatic than larger ones is a natural assumption, but it’s not really accurate. Affixation itself is something it’s nearly impossible for someone with an authority sense to accept as it’s happening; Alden definitely can’t. As Mother says when he asks her to tell him what it will be like, after he’s decided to do it, “You will beg me to stop, and I will not. You will fight back, and you will lose.”"
So yeah, affixation is qualitatively agonizing regardless of how much is performed. :whitewater:

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Nov 13, 2023

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Someone apparently locked lungs in a basement and forced him to write 2 chapters of Last Ship in Suzhou and release them in back-to-back days.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

the bigger issue is that the affixation remains an intensely traumatic event. Like it's easy to presume that Alden will be able to bear it but this is the thing that led a woman in her twenties who had been prepared for this her entire life to seek euthanization.

Yeah, but we can assume he's still going to do it because the only alternative is dying. I actually feel like the writing hasn't done an ideal job of showing the impact the affixation had on Alden - we get the chapter saying it hurt more than words, but he recovers enough to be functional pretty fast (and when the topic of PTSD comes up, it's usually about his experiences on Thegund, while the main impact of the affixation is just a constant persistent discomfort). My interpretation of this was that it was the sort of terrible "physical" suffering (I mean, it's metaphysical/existential, but I get the impression that it's closer to physical than psychological in its impact, since it has a clear "acute" period followed by recovery/healing) that your mind just sort of selectively doesn't linger on as a defense mechanism - like when someone experiences something terrible that is only debilitating for a short period of time.

Subjectively, I feel like it might be more realistic if Alden fooled himself into thinking that he'd be able to handle it next time around, only to be reminded of the reality of it on the next affixation. Repeating the experience would then just get harder and harder with each subsequent time, because you lose the ability to fool yourself and can more clearly remember exactly what it was like after the repeated experience. That's how those things tend to go, at least in the closest personal analogue that comes to mind - the whole concept of "becoming numb to pain through repeated exposure" is literally the complete opposite of reality.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Ytayla, you misunderstand me. SupSup105: The organizations that would want to make Alden a lab rat are human, not Artonan.

I think the story has done a pretty good job of showing how Alden has been traumatized. He has insomnia but mostly is trying to ignore the discomfort by throwing himself into hero school work. But when affixation comes up, it really gets to him. Boe mentioning level ups causes him to freak out. In this chapter, the confirmation that he has a year or so until he has to affix causes him to vomit.

Mostly fine day to day but reacts very negatively when triggered? That sounds like a solid depiction of trauma.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

berenzen posted:

Someone apparently locked lungs in a basement and forced him to write 2 chapters of Last Ship in Suzhou and release them in back-to-back days.

Astonishing

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I finished Worm a few months back and overall enjoyed it despite resorting to some pretty aggressive skimming. Apparently, there's a sequel, is it any good/worth reading?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

uPen posted:

I finished Worm a few months back and overall enjoyed it despite resorting to some pretty aggressive skimming. Apparently, there's a sequel, is it any good/worth reading?

If you were aggressively skimming Worm, you're not likely to enjoy Ward. Independently of that, no, I wouldn't say it is particularly good, and I think it only taints one's memories of Worm. It was a very divisive serial even among the core of the fandom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wildbow also has a few other books.

Twig

(Pact Universe)
1: Pact
2: Pale

I've not read any of Wildbow's stuff but I do intend to get around to it fairly soon. I've only got like 15% of the last book for TPGtE left. Though a new Wandering Inn book will be out tomorrow so that'll chew up a couple of weeks I'm sure.