Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's nothing random about having a solid knowledge base about the elevator industry, it's a valuable life skill, and something to liven up any social occasion. Then you take it to the next level - history of trams and streetcars and maybe funiculars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Here's a link to The Complete Guide to the Funicular (condensed ed.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTSAZAHiOa8

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 13:53 on Nov 7, 2023

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I actually rode a funicular a month ago (island of Capri. recommended if you don't get seasick. not if you do. learned that the hard way.) and the entire time I had that song in my head

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I actually rode a funicular a month ago (island of Capri. recommended if you don't get seasick. not if you do. learned that the hard way.) and the entire time I had that song in my head

You mentioned seasickness was rough but were you able to enjoy any of the sun? i hear it's great.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Hamas, Schmamas, says Wernher von Braun.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

I love my big gray son

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Air Skwirl posted:

Twenty years too young, that can't be right?
*Does mental arithmetic about how much older I am than someone doing their mandatory 2 years in the IDF*
gently caress, when did I get so old?

Don't make me do this math or I'm going to turn into a skeleton in an instant like Dorian Grey

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Hope that Taysway fan who got jailed for refusing to serve in the idf - assuming that was real - is staying based

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Hyperlynx posted:

Well, we do have the highest rates of skin cancer in the world! ...well not Melbourne, obviously, the weather's too poo poo, but the rest of the country!

There's a Melbourne in Florida, USA. This is very disappointing when you're trying to find cheap US fares to the other one.

It looks like the cancer capital of Australia is either Brisbane or Cairns by absolute # of cases (it doesn't seem to have a % of population setting, which would be more meaningful - I refuse to believe that that Alice Springs has a better melonoma rate than suburban Melbourne)

https://atlas.cancer.org.au/app

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Seasickness can depend on rolling period. Some folks get seasick on long slow rolls (low positive GM stability, think big ship in weather) other people on short quick rolling periods (high positive GM stability think jet ferry empty at the pier).

Is a funicular like the slow rolling period or the quick one?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Poll: who has a short period and who has a long one

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

steinrokkan posted:

There's nothing random about having a solid knowledge base about the elevator industry, it's a valuable life skill, and something to liven up any social occasion.

:haibrow: The "Elevator Hacking" talk is a fantastic place to start. Even if you've never given a poo poo about elevators, I bet you'll be entertained (and informed).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHf1vD5_b5I

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

freeedr posted:

Poll: who has a short period and who has a long one

it hertz regardless

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Powered Descent posted:

:haibrow: The "Elevator Hacking" talk is a fantastic place to start. Even if you've never given a poo poo about elevators, I bet you'll be entertained (and informed).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHf1vD5_b5I

I'm gonna break my streak of relistening to this every single time it's posted. I've seen it like 15 times already I don't need to see it again. I will NOT click.

edit: gently caress you

SyNack Sassimov has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Nov 7, 2023

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/ArmasUpdates/status/1721898184715456683

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

GhostDog posted:

Hamas, Schmamas, says Wernher von Braun.

I aim for the stars (but sometimes I hit Tel Aviv)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I think this is the person who went to jail bc they didn’t join the IDF.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
No way, Ana went to jail?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Based

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Snowmankilla posted:

I think this is the person who went to jail bc they didn’t join the IDF.

I think you’re thinking of Taylor Swift Updates

Why do I know that

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I think you’re thinking of Taylor Swift Updates

Why do I know that

Ahh. Yep. My bad. We are both sick, but you are worse?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
incredible things are happening in China

https://twitter.com/gunsnrosesgirl3/status/1721780586153484436?s=20

Somebody has a new favorite as of 07:05 on Nov 8, 2023

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
This soothes the autism.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

honest to god, give me remote access to one of these and enough money to afford a 1 bedroom apartment, groceries, healthcare, and a little extra to take care of a couple cats, and there will never be another parking ticket again. just me, the parkbot, and a work ethic that would make John Henry look like a quiet quitter

i will accept an efficiency apartment instead if i can install a speaker into the parkbot so that if people start messing with it I can yell "gently caress AHFF IM PAHKIN HERE" at them

Philippe posted:

This soothes the autism.

gently caress

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Facebook Aunt posted:

Red wouldn't be great either. Or brown. Or yellow. If you use the blue everybody thinks you're making a commercial for feminine hygiene products

I would love to see a commercial where they compare menstruation to an overflowing sewer.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Facebook Aunt posted:

Red wouldn't be great either. Or brown. Or yellow. If you use the blue everybody thinks you're making a commercial for feminine hygiene products

A surprising development around here recently is that the animations in feminine hygiene product commercials now feature a liquid that is both red and viscous, instead of the traditional "just blue water". Perhaps in just another 25-50 years people can mention menstruation in public without making nearby males throw up in disgust!

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lmao at "attempted actress".

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

But if they move the car to a legit space the problem will be solved and they won't be able to paper the windshield with new parking tickets every 2 hours. :confused:

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Phosphine posted:

A surprising development around here recently is that the animations in feminine hygiene product commercials now feature a liquid that is both red and viscous, instead of the traditional "just blue water". Perhaps in just another 25-50 years people can mention menstruation in public without making nearby males throw up in disgust!

Disgusting. Reported.

Why is this overseen by a man in pyjamas? And how does this policy support rich people’s rights to park where they want, for a price they can easily afford?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sanford posted:

Disgusting. Reported.

Why is this overseen by a man in pyjamas? And how does this policy support rich people’s rights to park where they want, for a price they can easily afford?

2nd part is explained by the police funding a valet you don’t have to wait for or tip. First part I have nothing on.

E: If China still had any revolutionary spirit, they would park the BMW a few miles away.

goatsestretchgoals has a new favorite as of 13:12 on Nov 8, 2023

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
lol if that was in america youd have to pay a subscription fee to not get your car moved several miles away

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
In America, the parking robot would get merc'd on day one. The hitchhiking robot knows :911:

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1722215151481630994

I can't stop giggling at this. He Lost. The Star Wars.

https://twitter.com/nikicaga/status/1721987538913460593
unsure if its okay to laugh at this

https://twitter.com/Reecee_yt/status/1722026917602230701

LASER BEAM DREAM has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Nov 8, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

"Decimate every last being" lol

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Biplane posted:

He's calling for a weight loss program?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Enter: EXTREMELY PEDANTIC STORMTROOPER COMMANDER

CtrlAltDeath
Oct 24, 2003

Your bra bomb better work, Nerdlinger!

A few years back I was visiting Canada and mistakenly parked my car overnight in a no parking zone. Woke up the next morning to look out the window and see no car, so I googled "car got towed in Montreal" which directed me to a govt website where I put in my license plate number and it showed me an interactive map where my car was, which was just the next street over. They just moved my car to a valid spot and gave me a fairly cheap ticket, which was mind-blowing when I compared it to getting towed here in the US and spent an entire day tracking down which impound lot in some lovely part of town it got towed to and hundreds of dollars to actually get it out.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Seaniqua posted:

In America, the parking robot would get merc'd on day one. The hitchhiking robot knows :911:

Americans are right to kill robots infringing on public spaces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Biplane posted:

Captain Zeno raises a hand: And then decimate them again, right? And again... Right?