Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Voyager doing an Amelia Earhart episode is like peak TOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Great episode though. The CGI work for the Cities was incredible.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sash! posted:

Great episode though. The CGI work for the Cities was incredible.
I see what you did there

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It was me, I accidentally deleted the cities Lightwave files in 1995.

Unrelated, I also deleted Toy Story 2

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

It was me, I accidentally deleted the cities Lightwave files in 1995.

Unrelated, I also deleted Toy Story 2

Are you the fucker who also deleted the Norway-class model?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I see what you did there

Couldn't even bother to recycle a matte painting.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The two Doctor episodes so far were pretty good. There's the Grendel episode and the Barclay episode that I've seen.

Neelix is the worst. He's currently gaslighting Kes and it's gross.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the death flags surrounding Jadzia in season 6 of DS9 are starting to scare me, I honestly thought she was gonna bite it in Change of Heart. Also, the Section 31 outfits are so loving dumb when they let Bashir out of the holoprogram in The Inquisition.

Season 6 is wrapping up and I feel that things are about to just go way off the rails like it did at the end of season 5

edit: OH poo poo, next episode is In the Pale Moonlight!!!

Aces High fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 7, 2023

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

god drat, now I understand why everyone holds In the Pale Moonlight in such high regard. That closing monologue is absolutely spine-crawling, considering what Sisko has been like before when doing such questionable things

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah it’s far and away the best episode of the series

Which is saying a lot because DS9 has a lot of great ones

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

The two Doctor episodes so far were pretty good. There's the Grendel episode and the Barclay episode that I've seen.

Neelix is the worst. He's currently gaslighting Kes and it's gross.

Gaslighting his 2-yo gf Kes :eng101:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Was Nemesis really that bad

Full disclosure I was 9 years old when it came out and haven't seen it since then

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Was Nemesis really that bad

Full disclosure I was 9 years old when it came out and haven't seen it since then

it has some fun dumb action movie moments like driving a fighter craft through the scimitar and the dune buggy jump into the shuttle. otherwise yes. it's that bad. no one is acting like the characters you love, the guest stars are either completely hidden (ron perlman) or completely hidden due to bad direction (tom hardy). only for completists.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sad, but thanks for saving me the trouble

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

To make an actual contribution to this thread, here's my controversial opinion which I have been thinking about more than is reasonable lately: Pulaski was the better doctor

Unlike Crusher, who only ever shone in the scenes where she was mothering, she had actual personality and wit. She had a lot in common with Bones, in that she often made the other crew members seem stiff and out of touch and acted as a foil to Spock/Data. The people complaining about her just wanted Crusher back on screen because Gates McFadden is hot, and they didn't care for a female main crew character with pointed opinions who could spar just as well of the rest of the command crew instead of getting shot down every time and quietly huffing about it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Atlas Hugged posted:

The best Doctor episode is him meeting his Andy Dick-shaped replacement. :v:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

To make an actual contribution to this thread, here's my controversial opinion which I have been thinking about more than is reasonable lately: Pulaski was the better doctor

Unlike Crusher, who only ever shone in the scenes where she was mothering, she had actual personality and wit. She had a lot in common with Bones, in that she often made the other crew members seem stiff and out of touch and acted as a foil to Spock/Data. The people complaining about her just wanted Crusher back on screen because Gates McFadden is hot, and they didn't care for a female main crew character with pointed opinions who could spar just as well of the rest of the command crew instead of getting shot down every time and quietly huffing about it.

Agreed.

1. Fans forget that Pulaski had a character arc where she was one of Data's biggest supporters in the wargames episode (I can't think of the name).
2. Pulaski brought some much needed tension in a cast that was otherwise squeaky clean and got along too well.
3. Pulaski forced legitimate, tough questions about Data: is he sentient? Do we treat him like LCARS or like a human? etc.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

1. Fans forget that Pulaski had a character arc where she was one of Data's biggest supporters in the wargames episode (I can't think of the name).
Peak Performance. I rewatched it again recently. Real good

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Season 1 had an issue developing characters, so it's no surprise that Crusher was underdeveloped. And then no surprise that they focused on developing a new character rather than developing the whole roster. Also hard to tell if Pulaski's initial "being mean to Data" was an intentional start to a character arc, or something the writers thought was a good idea at the time that they evolved themselves out of it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FISHMANPET posted:

Season 1 had an issue developing characters, so it's no surprise that Crusher was underdeveloped. And then no surprise that they focused on developing a new character rather than developing the whole roster. Also hard to tell if Pulaski's initial "being mean to Data" was an intentional start to a character arc, or something the writers thought was a good idea at the time that they evolved themselves out of it.

They wanted Pulaski to be the female McCoy, and a big part of McCoy's character was that he was an rear end in a top hat to Spock, and Data was TNG's Spock, only early TNG Data was basically just a child with an encyclopedia set for a brain and without the wit to land comebacks like Spock could, so it very quickly strayed into "why is the mean lady bullying the pale autistic guy? I don't like this" territory and never really recovered from that.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

They wanted Pulaski to be the female McCoy, and a big part of McCoy's character was that he was an rear end in a top hat to Spock, and Data was TNG's Spock, only early TNG Data was basically just a child with an encyclopedia set for a brain and without the wit to land comebacks like Spock could, so it very quickly strayed into "why is the mean lady bullying the pale autistic guy? I don't like this" territory and never really recovered from that.
I think the fact that she was being a bit poo poo for doing it was supposed to be part of the arc

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

FISHMANPET posted:

It’s absolutely intentional. She changes her mind about him in “Unnatural Selection” (the one where she gets mega old) and by “Peak Performance” is actively defending him to himself.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I think the fact that she was being a bit poo poo for doing it was supposed to be part of the arc

Yeah, that's her arc, as pointed out above, I'm just saying that audience perception of her kind of solidified into "the angry lady who's mean to Data all the time" fairly quickly and that's kind of Pulaski's legacy when you ask anyone to remember anything about her character from the brief time she was a part of the TNG family.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Nothing about Pulaski is downright bad, and she could've turned out fine if she stuck around. Obviously she'll be lumped in with various other "weird early season stuff" because she's not in the better era of the show, but I don't think most people really hated her. I do think they were forcing the McCoy parallels a little too much. They even gave her his fear of transporters, c'mon.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Lemming posted:

Nothing about Pulaski is downright bad, and she could've turned out fine if she stuck around.

Muldaur famously had a lot of trouble with the technobabble, and the rest of the cast actively resented her because she was actually the highest-paid member of the cast (remember, she was never in the opening credits, she was always credited as Special Guest Star). I don't think she was ever going to stay around, and she was much happier doing LA Law.

Timby fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 8, 2023

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Do you think the turbo lift shafts have safety force fields to keep people from falling to their deaths

Based on what happened to that lift in the disaster episode I'm going to say no

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Timby posted:

Muldaur famously had a lot of trouble with the technobabble, and the rest of the cast actively resented her because she was actually the highest-paid member of the cast (remember, she was never in the opening credits, she was always credited as Special Guest Star). I don't think she was ever going to stay around, and she was much happier doing LA Law.

Pity the showrunners gave her the shaft on that one.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tighclops posted:

Do you think the turbo lift shafts have safety force fields to keep people from falling to their deaths

Anything is possible in the Turbolift Dimension

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Pulaski was the better doctor

I've been saying this

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Timby posted:

To be fair she was also doing a better acting job than anyone other than P’Stew or Brent.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Got to the end of S3 of Voyager and S5 of Deep Space Nine. Voyager has a pretty cool finally with the Borg and all but Deep Space Nine's finale with the Dominion attacking DS9 and Starfleet vacating... that might have been the best season finale in the franchise. What was up with those weird eye things Dukat and Weyoun were wearing?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That's how they know Sisko's power level is over 9000

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DoubleCakes posted:

Got to the end of S3 of Voyager and S5 of Deep Space Nine. Voyager has a pretty cool finally with the Borg and all but Deep Space Nine's finale with the Dominion attacking DS9 and Starfleet vacating... that might have been the best season finale in the franchise. What was up with those weird eye things Dukat and Weyoun were wearing?

Dominion ships don't have viewscreens so the important bridge crew are Google glassholes instead.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

DoubleCakes posted:

Jem'Hadar ships don't have view screens. Those eye things are basically personal view screens for the important people in the Dominion.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

on the other hand, one could easily argue the forcefields were knocked out by the space iceberg quantum filament that hosed up the rest of the ship

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

on the other hand, one could easily argue the forcefields were knocked out by the space iceberg quantum filament that hosed up the rest of the ship

The consoles have forcefield airbags and the explosions are actually them deploying and saving you from having your brains splattered all over the bridge

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I'm confused about Quark, didn't he marry that Klingon lady for real in season 5? Why's he still hung up on Jadzia?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Aces High posted:

I'm confused about Quark, didn't he marry that Klingon lady for real in season 5? Why's he still hung up on Jadzia?

They also divorced at the end of the episode.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Also Quark is capable of desiring multiple women at the same time, like I imagine most people are. I would also assume that he's not particularly invested in monogamy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

8one6 posted:

They also divorced at the end of the episode.

that was the first episode, where Quark went to Qo'noS to present all the accounting stuff in front of a bunch of very annoyed Klingons. I mean the second time, where Worf and Jadzia hook up for real.

huh, according to memory alpha, Grilka was just open to his advances, nothing about them actually getting married for real