Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

heehee posted:

that was easily top 3 best games ive seen in the last 10 years

Certainly one of the most amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Can someone put the curb theme to woodcroft getting tossed??? Thanks

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

When was the last time a coach got tossed for chirping at refs???

Cause lol Woodcroft

Literally a week ago.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/kennedystrash/status/1721766607092076682

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Szechwan posted:

Very excited for the Nucks-Oil game tonight, not often you get the opportunity to truly crush the hopes of a rival this early in the season.

I'm gonna quote myself because this went even better than I could have ever imagined.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/KTownOiler/status/1721736433004867911

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Nah, nah, nah...need someone behind the glass with their phone recording what he said (not gonna happen, unfortunately).

e: Oh I see, you want an edit. ignore me.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I just think it's a funny gif

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Well it certainly was Cup or Bust

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Yaya posted:

Well it certainly was Cup or Bust

Silver lining: the team's been missing a league-recognisable meme since "1 for 1".

:shepface:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Lol oilers. Thanks for making me feel much better about everything.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
McDavid is absolutely getting traded to Chicago next summer

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1721607161984249902

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Can't blame the goaltending for everything... team is a dumpster fire in their own end, it's great.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Misanthrope posted:

Can't blame the goaltending for everything... team is a dumpster fire in their own end, it's great.

Really thought that top pairing of Nurse-Ceci would have calmed things down in the Oilers end of the ice

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Stars won't let me decide if they're good or bad and I'm annoyed about it

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
all teams are bad hth

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Why are the Canucks having such a good start to the season? I don't watch them unless they're playing the ducks, but I remember lots of gnashing of teeth last year about the same names people are raving about now.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Misanthrope posted:

Either there is something very bad/weird about the shot data (definitely probably) but it's extremely funny to me if Jack Campbell's average goal distance against is actually only the alleged 12 feet.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

QuasiQuack posted:

Why are the Canucks having such a good start to the season? I don't watch them unless they're playing the ducks, but I remember lots of gnashing of teeth last year about the same names people are raving about now.

PDO of 109 on the back of ridiculously very definitely probably sustainable shooting and goaltending. Maybe they're this years Kraken. Riding high vibes all the way to a first round exit.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

rex rabidorum vires posted:

PDO of 109 on the back of ridiculously very definitely probably sustainable shooting and goaltending. Maybe they're this years Kraken. Riding high vibes all the way to a first round exit.

They have high PDO, but it's mostly due to some really lopsided blowouts. So far they have 8-1, 5-0, and 10-1 wins. When you take those out, they're at 103 PDO and still 5-2-1. A good team with a good goalie can run at 102 PDO all year.

All that to say, sample size is way too small with too many outliers to get much out of analytics like that. They're not true talent top 3 team in the league, but they're not a complete fluke either.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Or a second round exit after beating the Oilers in 5. Lols.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

QuasiQuack posted:

I think it's the fresh coaching getting the healthy roster into gear on a fresh start, basically. Something that immediately stood out to me at the start of the season is the PK. We'll see where it goes, playoffs might be fun.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Szechwan posted:

They have high PDO, but it's mostly due to some really lopsided blowouts. So far they have 8-1, 5-0, and 10-1 wins. When you take those out, they're at 103 PDO and still 5-2-1. A good team with a good goalie can run at 102 PDO all year.

All that to say, sample size is way too small with too many outliers to get much out of analytics like that. They're not true talent top 3 team in the league, but they're not a complete fluke either.

They are a 45% xGF team 5v5 currently scoring 70% of the goals. They are absolutely a fluke.

Edit: ^^^ the Canucks PK is currently 77% which is a smidge below NHL average of 79%.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Stars won't let me decide if they're good or bad and I'm annoyed about it

Last night was more Swayman being a brick wall more than the Stars playing good or bad IMO

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

https://twitter.com/UnfortunateHKY/status/1721719596883800164?t=0DJIN5Hg9IuiN5gpUwLN5w&s=19

Matthews for MVP, Knows for rookie of the year. It just feels different this year :canada:

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Arabian Jesus posted:

Matthews for MVP, Knows for rookie of the year. It just feels different this year :canada:

Woll for both if he can bail the team out of Samsonov sucking.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Sharks play the Flyers tonight if you're into comedy

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
remember when people thought Samsonov was good?

that was funny

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Former Caps goalies are a streaky bunch. One year they’re rear end, the next year they lead your team to a Cup final.

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

They are a 45% xGF team 5v5 currently scoring 70% of the goals. They are absolutely a fluke.

Edit: ^^^ the Canucks PK is currently 77% which is a smidge below NHL average of 79%.

None of that takes into account score effects, and with this few games, that matters quite a bit.

For example, the Nucks went up 8-0 on the sharks, outshooting them 28-12 after 30min. They they benched their stars and rolled their 3/4th lines the rest of the game. The game ended with shots almost equal, what do you think that does to stats like xGF%? They finished a 10-1 win with 41% xG after posting a 27% xG% in the 3rd period with their scrubs playing. That's been the story multiple times this year.

It's so strange to me that people can subscribe so heavily to advanced stats without actually understanding the confounding factors.

Szechwan fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 7, 2023

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Ok. Per Nat Stat the score and venue adjustment puts the 5v5 Canucks as a 44% xGF team.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

The understanding is pretty simple. Vancouver has played some extremely bad goaltenders which let them get away with lots of bad underlying numbers which have also been papered over by their own goaltending making an above expected number of saves. They are extremely fraudulent. How long they can maintain that fraudulence in an exceptionally weak division is yet to be determined.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Szechwan posted:

None of that takes into account score effects, and with this few games, that matters quite a bit.

For example, the Nucks went up 8-0 on the sharks, outshooting them 28-12 after 30min. They they benched their stars and rolled their 3/4th lines the rest of the game. The game ended with shots almost equal, what do you think that does to stats like xGF%? They finished a 10-1 win with 41% xG after posting a 27% xG% in the 3rd period with their scrubs playing. That's been the story multiple times this year.

It's so strange to me that people can subscribe so heavily to advanced stats without actually understanding the confounding factors.

Take a guess at their xgf% in close games

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Take a guess at their xgf% in close games

No! Let us have this damnit it's been ten fuckin years of bullshit over here

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

QuasiQuack posted:

They’re turds floating in the toilet bowl that is the Pacific Division, OP.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The understanding is pretty simple. Vancouver has played some extremely bad goaltenders which let them get away with lots of bad underlying numbers which have also been papered over by their own goaltending making an above expected number of saves. They are extremely fraudulent. How long they can maintain that fraudulence in an exceptionally weak division is yet to be determined.

How many of their games have you watched?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Stars have lost every full game I've watched and won every game I haven't. I feel personally responsible.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/clahanna/status/1721946021675110873?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

https://twitter.com/tspsimmerdown/status/1721963378430591350?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Legit insane the hold this man has over the organization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Sorry for double post, this deserves its own

https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1721965498756108448?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q