Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

tbh it's probably from AFFC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Guy A. Person posted:

I guarantee if someone was able to enhance the text on that printed out paper it would be one of the same early preview chapters that has been around for 10 years, probably completely unchanged

I'm relatively positive someone already HAS enhanced that text and analyzed it already

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Image is actually accurate, he's clearly not on a word processor.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm relatively positive someone already HAS enhanced that text and analyzed it already

It looks like a table rather than text.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I guess is a contractual thing, cause I'd love him if he just came out and said, 'gently caress you all, i'm living the life, yolo'

Rothfuss is a whole different story, unless GRRM has actually scammed charities.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’d just poo poo out something real quick and go back to being rich.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

tbh i’d actually respect grrm writing out a story that slowly morphs into some meta poo poo that ends with gently caress you i die rich and y’all die mad at me

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I take it back I’d just get someone to ghostwrite it and take all the credit. gently caress actually doing any of the writing.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah honestly if I was grrm I'd just have had it ghostwritten eight years ago. Though maybe that's what he's been doing, and he hasn't been happy with the four ghostwritten TWoWs he has received since and/or hasn't gotten around to beta reading it.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

pidan posted:

Yeah honestly if I was grrm I'd just have had it ghostwritten eight years ago. Though maybe that's what he's been doing, and he hasn't been happy with the four ghostwritten TWoWs he has received since and/or hasn't gotten around to beta reading it.

Ty is too expensive now after the Expanse, and the westeros.org nazis tried it with TWOIAF which no one liked and cmon, you can't expect George to keep up with the lore.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Barreft posted:

I guess is a contractual thing, cause I'd love him if he just came out and said, 'gently caress you all, i'm living the life, yolo'

Rothfuss is a whole different story, unless GRRM has actually scammed charities.

Yeah I'm resigned to GRRM dying before finishing the story. It's whatever, the tv show had its moment and flubbed the landing.

Rothfuss deserves all the vitriol he gets for trying to gaslight his fans with every lovely zoom video he posts.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Barreft posted:

Ty is too expensive now after the Expanse, and the westeros.org nazis tried it with TWOIAF which no one liked and cmon, you can't expect George to keep up with the lore.

At this point, Preston Jacobs should just finish the drat books himself. At least Preston is, to my knowledge, not a Nazi, and insane theories aside seems like an otherwise decent dude.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Jokes on us. GRRM has an army of ghostwriters chained up in his basement, constantly churning out new books. He has thousands by now, all of them completely unread. Whenever a writer finishes, they’re entombed alive to die clutching another, unique copy of The Winds of Winter.

Hearing the soft, tweedy scratching of a Hartwick creative writing BA trying to get out of the crawl space is the only way he can get to sleep at night.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

nine-gear crow posted:

At this point, Preston Jacobs should just finish the drat books himself. At least Preston is, to my knowledge, not a Nazi, and insane theories aside seems like an otherwise decent dude.

Good news. He’s actually doing just that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
George R. R. Martin is one of the very few writers slower than Jacobs’ crowdsourcing effort.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Preston clearly understands where the plot should go.

The chapters he's realised don't seem leagues above the source stuff in terms of dialogue / humanlemoncake element, but it's still good stuff.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There is no interpretation of that bottom image where he is writing (in) a new book.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
He's writing a blog about his sports team.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The book was actually announced a few days ago, you can already pre-order it

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/...rge-r-r-martin/

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Elias_Maluco posted:

The book was actually announced a few days ago, you can already pre-order it

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/...rge-r-r-martin/

No Frey Pie, no sale

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

No Frey Pie, no sale

Remember when Arya baked a Frey into a pie and they just showed a finger in the pie? Did they even set that up in the show?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Collateral posted:

He's writing a blog about his sports team.

Suffers from writer's blog, you say?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My dad always talks fondly about eating these as a student and he genuinely teared up when I got him one as a fun stocking filler

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

TK-42-1 posted:

Good news. He’s actually doing just that.

Worth noting that it's Preston plus the other people he's crediting. He wrote his own original novel that's being edited at the moment.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tarnop posted:

My dad always talks fondly about eating these as a student and he genuinely teared up when I got him one as a fun stocking filler

Your dad sounds fat as hell.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Big if true.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Knuc U Kinte posted:

He's lost a lot of weight since he retired

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Elman posted:

Remember when Arya baked a Frey into a pie and they just showed a finger in the pie? Did they even set that up in the show?

Did they mention the Rat Cook in the show? If so that kind of sets it up in general as a form of twisted revenge to bake someone’s relatives into pies.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hey when did he get an actual computer? I thought he was still using an ancient word processor (as of like... 7 years ago but whatever)

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Tarnop posted:

Aww that's sweet. :shobon:

Tarnop posted:

He's lost a lot of weight since he retired

By that metric we can conclude that GURM is currently working himself to death. :hmmyes:

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Shoehead posted:

Hey when did he get an actual computer? I thought he was still using an ancient word processor (as of like... 7 years ago but whatever)

Since :george: stopped writing obviously :downsrim:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ten years from now the dude’s going to be taking vanity shots as he one-thumbs Winds of Winter into iPhone notes

We will never learn what happens to all our favourite characters

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ten years from now the dude’s going to be taking vanity shots as he one-thumbs Winds of Winter into iPhone notes

We will never learn what happens to all our favourite characters

No he won’t.

1) GRRM doesn’t write

2) He’ll be dead.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

2) He’ll be dead.

Dead tired, from writing the Winds of Winter 18 hours a day! :colbert:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

What the gently caress, when did he stop using LiveJournal?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Xiahou Dun posted:

No he won’t.

1) GRRM doesn’t write

2) He’ll be dead.

he will outlive us all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Devorum posted:

What the gently caress, when did he stop using LiveJournal?

After a Russian company bought it, so about 2016-ish? The last post on it was in August of 2018 and it was just a self-promo piece.