Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh no, not that guy!

Edit: Terrible snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

lol @ tragically killing off the most generic looking of these generic characters

It's not as if Jeanne wasn't notorious for prioritizing targets based on specific factors like how brilliant their love shine was or how they posed the biggest obstacle to her before or whatever

Eh shocking thing happens, next page shows oh wait it was a ruse, everything's fine. There is a good chance this is just nothing. Or maybe that robot was secretly a shadow man (like shadow not the court people) or whatever. Maybe all the robots are nobodies like that one time with the fake Kat. Who really cares.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It was Paz :unsmigghh:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

This is actually a kind of cool page but the first panel is ruining it for me. I swear to god my brain keeps interpreting that as the classic B^U face

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

"We have to get out of here!" as if they've had any control over that up to this point.

It'd be cool if Annie was jumping from place to place using the "Sunlight passing through the leaves" thing from earlier, finding ways to travel around by exploiting the world's strange relationship with perspective, but I guess that was just a one-off and she's just going to, like, keep walking around.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
We can't travel here by walking, we need to use associative memories to shift the environment around us and then we move with it!

Anyway let's start walking some more.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Nuns with Guns posted:

lol @ tragically killing off the most generic looking of these generic characters

It's not as if Jeanne wasn't notorious for prioritizing targets based on specific factors like how brilliant their love shine was or how they posed the biggest obstacle to her before or whatever

Hey, that guy was holding a case full of robot brains. If he didn't drop it when he did, "Jeanne" would have destroyed them.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
I just realized that Lana was eaten by Coyote and no psychopomp showed up (so, not a real death, or there is no psychopomp assigned to that jurisdiction because it's brand new, or the numans have no souls). Annie would have noticed, right?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

isasphere posted:

I just realized that Lana was eaten by Coyote and no psychopomp showed up (so, not a real death, or there is no psychopomp assigned to that jurisdiction because it's brand new, or the numans have no souls). Annie would have noticed, right?

does Tom remember this

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

JuniperCake posted:

Eh shocking thing happens, next page shows oh wait it was a ruse, everything's fine. There is a good chance this is just nothing. Or maybe that robot was secretly a shadow man (like shadow not the court people) or whatever. Maybe all the robots are nobodies like that one time with the fake Kat. Who really cares.

even if that robot man is visibly ripped to pieces next page it is still just nothing

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I wish I could remember who said it originally, but I once heard a really great piece of advice vis a vis the subject of media references - maybe it was Yahtzee who said it? Something along the lines of, by putting, say, a reference to Portal in your indie video game, you're not just saying "haha remember that fun thing we all enjoyed?". You're directly reminding the person who is consuming your work of a far better piece of media and reminding them of the feelings they had playing it, then sharply contrasting your own, almost certainly deeply inferior, work to that. Basically inviting them to say "drat yeah that was great, so much better than this in every way, so why am I wasting my time here".

I keep thinking about that as we go down this sort of trip down memory lane. I'm not like "wow yeah, think of all the great times we had", I'm thinking "drat yeah remember when Gunnerkrigg used to be good? Why does it suck so loving bad now by comparison?". Like you're making the current state of the comic look exponentially worse by invoking its best moments in such a way, lmao.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
IDK who else might have come up with advice like that but Mystery Science Theater gave us "Never show a good movie in the middle of your crappy movie."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVo0dyjnWYo&t=622s

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Tiny Myers posted:

I wish I could remember who said it originally, but I once heard a really great piece of advice vis a vis the subject of media references - maybe it was Yahtzee who said it? Something along the lines of, by putting, say, a reference to Portal in your indie video game, you're not just saying "haha remember that fun thing we all enjoyed?". You're directly reminding the person who is consuming your work of a far better piece of media and reminding them of the feelings they had playing it, then sharply contrasting your own, almost certainly deeply inferior, work to that. Basically inviting them to say "drat yeah that was great, so much better than this in every way, so why am I wasting my time here".

I keep thinking about that as we go down this sort of trip down memory lane. I'm not like "wow yeah, think of all the great times we had", I'm thinking "drat yeah remember when Gunnerkrigg used to be good? Why does it suck so loving bad now by comparison?". Like you're making the current state of the comic look exponentially worse by invoking its best moments in such a way, lmao.

This makes sense but itoh I don't think I've ever had that reaction to this practice (i.e. never compared the game making a Portal reference to Portal). I'm not even having that reaction now in GC... though someone posting old pages in this thread will make me think about how much better it used to be.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'm just here impatiently tapping my foot, waiting for when we'll see the other characters and why we're hanging with side characters

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
So I cold-turkey stopped reading around the time Loup first showed up. Not out of any sense of dread or anything, or because I was bored, but because I just had other stuff going on and I just didn't have time for webcomics anymore. So, five years or so passed, and I hadn't even really thought of Gunnerkrigg. Until yesterday, when I saw a picture of Boxbot and throught to myself "I remember really enjoying Gunnerkrigg back in the day. I should check it out and see how it ended."

So I picked up from where I left off yesterday and found out uh

It hasn't ended. And it's, uh. Well.

Huh.

Well. I'm back in the thread, I guess.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

artichoke posted:

All these memories and summaries feels like we're wrapping things up, readers. Not sure how to feel about that yet.

Never seen someone's life flash before their eyes so slowly.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 5, 2023

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Desumaytah posted:

So I cold-turkey stopped reading around the time Loup first showed up. Not out of any sense of dread or anything, or because I was bored, but because I just had other stuff going on and I just didn't have time for webcomics anymore. So, five years or so passed, and I hadn't even really thought of Gunnerkrigg. Until yesterday, when I saw a picture of Boxbot and throught to myself "I remember really enjoying Gunnerkrigg back in the day. I should check it out and see how it ended."

So I picked up from where I left off yesterday and found out uh

It hasn't ended. And it's, uh. Well.

Huh.

Well. I'm back in the thread, I guess.

Gunnerkrigg Court: It hasn't ended. And it's, uh. Well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if this sequence is unwinding the story's greatest hits then i wonder if tony will finally get another appearance

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
I hope it artistically mirrors Ysengrin's pages and he's this quiet, gentle protector gazing at her from behind his mind cage.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm confused that Annie would see someone being attacked and...cover her eyes while curling up into a ball??

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

That was my first thought, but I assume that she is specifically trying to use the whole memory/impression hopping to summon Kat, since the first time she encountered Jeanne, she curled up into a ball, and then Kat appeared on the anti-grav cycle.

Archive link: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=141

The post is different (although with the early art getting refreshed, maybe it won't be?), but the situations are so similar that it would follow the theme of the chapter.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Arbetor posted:

That was my first thought, but I assume that she is specifically trying to use the whole memory/impression hopping to summon Kat, since the first time she encountered Jeanne, she curled up into a ball, and then Kat appeared on the anti-grav cycle.

Archive link: https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=141

The post is different (although with the early art getting refreshed, maybe it won't be?), but the situations are so similar that it would follow the theme of the chapter.

That would actually be kind of cool if the next page had Machine God Kat coming to the rescue.

This update honestly proved how superfluous the dialog was the last couple of days.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Am I the only one who finds it pretty funny that Jeanne stabbed the guy, is pissed that he didn't drop dead, so just loving knees him in the stomach?

Yes I know that's not what actually happened, she stabbed him then moved to one side as his body fell, but admit it, it looks like she's kneeing him in the bottom left panel.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Is it just me or does Jeanne kinda look like Zimmy?

Oh God what if everyone is Zimmy

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

CodfishCartographer posted:

Is it just me or does Jeanne kinda look like Zimmy?

Oh God what if everyone is Zimmy

Hello Zimmy

Signed,
Zimmy

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

This is Hell and we are all Zimmy.

I'm just imagining that Being John Malkovich scene but being full of Zimmys.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
no you fools it's That Guy (eglamore)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Going to be real mad if kat gave the new people one heart each etc. Redundancies you daft idiot.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
BRING BACK TONY.

I haven't felt alive since Tony left.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Riot Bus posted:

BRING BACK TONY.

I haven't felt alive since Tony left.

This but unironically

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Huh, I was curious and checked the comments on that comic. So I'm not the only one who thinks that Jeanne is kneeing the guy in the gut. Good to know I'm not insane (or at least not insane about that).

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

Note Block posted:

This but unironically

Bold of you to think I was being ironic.

Also yeah I also thought she was kneeing him in the gut.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I knew there weren’t going to be real consequences but this is next level nothing mattering. :geno:

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Annie is the only one looking up. There's still a chance he's dead and clueless, and Annie's gonna need to whip out her psychopomp duties.

Yes, I WILL still tell myself this, despite the comic failing to live up to so many "maybe there's still a deeper reason behind this" moments.

Last Visible Dog fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 8, 2023

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Welp, that's what I get for assuming something interesting and proactive was going to happen. Just the main character cowering in terror, which magically fixes the problem she caused. Can't even tell if that is the same guy that got ghost-stabbed or a different generic robot guy because they all look the same, canonically. It could just be another randomly generated pasty bald guy. Who knows! A new one materializing out of the formless crowd of extras makes just as much sense as anything else.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
It's all Annie's fault again.

Page quote is "Seems very Chapter 9 page 11."

I looked at that and don't understand what this means.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Bonster posted:

She teleported them outside Eglamore's office door:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=159

And because I don't learn lessons, I will now speculate as to why: She felt safe with Eglamore, and therefore popped here because it was a safe spot in a scary situation. Now, to me, the freaky colosseum basement you went to once to get a detention slip is not the first place I think of as a secure refuge, but what do I know, I'm not in a meta-conceptual god-forged dreamscape.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Bonster posted:

It's the same hallway. :effort:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I hate this bald robot guy. gently caress you, bald robot guy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Arbetor posted:

She teleported them outside Eglamore's office door:

And because I don't learn lessons, I will now speculate as to why: She felt safe with Eglamore, and therefore popped here because it was a safe spot in a scary situation. Now, to me, the freaky colosseum basement you went to once to get a detention slip is not the first place I think of as a secure refuge, but what do I know, I'm not in a meta-conceptual god-forged dreamscape.

Watch a gigantic, overly-hunky dream Eglamore show up.