Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

I'm looking forward to how silly this will get, since it's clearly not going to be something you can take seriously.

Expanding fighter base outside Kengan Association.
Enter Pegasus Seiya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I just want Kuroki to show up, beat all these fools while giving them a fighting lesson, and then leave again. I know that won't happen and instead he'll get stomped to show how strong everyone is.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
This is stupid, and not in a good way, but at least it's going preety fast.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
The author felt his manga needed a Yujiro, I guess, and this is what they came up with.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

It's quite a bit worse than Yujiro, unfortunately. It feels pretty out of touch to think that in 2023 anyone is interested in seeing this kind of villain. "Lol you know what would be badass? What if all the best fighters from the series just get one-tapped all at once by this guy so we can show how cool he is?"

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Personally, I love it when a villain unveils a whole new level of prowess that seemingly invalidates every known character's growth and power.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sextro posted:

Personally, I love it when a villain unveils a whole new level of prowess that seemingly invalidates every known character's growth and power.
I liked it when it was edward and mukaku but I don't like it on this guy for some reason.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

No Wave posted:

I liked it when it was edward and mukaku but I don't like it on this guy for some reason.

Jackie Lee is 100% likely to chill and hang out with our faves after this arc. Heck at least half or more of his page time has been enjoying beers + food.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
i refuse to believe that terashi, the human vibrator whose brain explodes if he takes off his dumb mask for too long, is a better assassin than Inaba Ryo and Kure Fusui

suspension of disbelief, shattered

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

No Wave posted:

Eh, Edward and Goah made a certain degree of sense in view of the rest of the series. Like Kure poo poo and the Niko style is still dumb but it was a slow, acclimated dumb. Shen just walking everywhere everyone isn't looking and knocking them out with a loving stroke on the neck, the longevity inducing not-breathing exercises... its too much. He's just goofy, and not in a amusing way IMO.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

yum posted:

Hey, what happened?! That's an unnatural way to fall!
Huh?
Whose foot prints are these? Huh? What was that noise?!?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I wasnt being sarcastic for the record I legitimately liked those characters. Huisheng to make people 10x stronger and more knowledgeable than all living humans is just silly it was a funny narrative device for Masaki but this is too much.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it also helps that ed and gaoh had personalities and the only fun thing this guy has done is pretend to be someone else

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vizuyos posted:

i refuse to believe that terashi, the human vibrator whose brain explodes if he takes off his dumb mask for too long, is a better assassin than Inaba Ryo and Kure Fusui

suspension of disbelief, shattered

He had prior notice something was weird and was paying more attention due to being in the room where people were passing out, the other two got it as a dramatic curtain draw reveal.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Tosk posted:

It's quite a bit worse than Yujiro, unfortunately. It feels pretty out of touch to think that in 2023 anyone is interested in seeing this kind of villain. "Lol you know what would be badass? What if all the best fighters from the series just get one-tapped all at once by this guy so we can show how cool he is?"

Oh for sure, it's worse than Yujiro because there's a narrative behind his character, we grow to despise him (through Baki's point of view), and others, we see his interactions with the cast - there's actual plot. What I'm trying to say is that there's a lot of context as to why he's so strong, including flashbacks of his ridiculous dad and silly stuff like ancient murals in a pyramid depicting the ancient power of the Hanmas.

This just feels lazy, like brushing a finger across someone's neck is suddenly going to make a 250 lbs+ trained fighter drop to their knees or black out. It's like something Goku or his buddies might do - that's fine in Dragonball, but this isn't and won't ever be Dragonball.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
We know Yuujiro's strong because he beats the poo poo out of people all the time, mostly for fun

We know pretty much all the time exactly what he wants (to beat someone up) and why (because he thinks it's fun)

When he wants to be sneaky, he doesn't slip through people's blind spots or use the gaps in their awareness. He just cranks his badass aura up to maximum, inflicting such existential terror on everyone in the vicinity that their survival instincts automatically block their conscious awareness of him in hopes that they'll avoid drawing his notice and ire

Yuujiro works because Baki is well aware that it's ridiculous, and heavily leans into the goofy and bizarre stuff. It doesn't ever have to look serious, because there's no poo poo about global terrorist conspiracies holding the fate of the world in their hands. It's just a bunch of bored near-superhumans stirring up trouble with each other for fun.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
Shen is just too self aware, like he knows he’s an op character in a fight man comic, but still has to give some half hearted praise after effortlessly 1 tapping the crew. It’s lame.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
It's also not like Yujiro because he is completely riddiculous, and therefore, very fun to watch. Start beating yourself up so that he doesn't kill you? He sternly nods and says that was the correct decision. Need to get through bullet proof glass? Eh, just walk right through, no biggie. Getting kicked through the ceiling? Just walk back in like nothing happened.

And the most important part, I think, is that Yujiro is always having a good time, and we can see that right on his incredibly drawn face. Shen just has the most bored expression on at all times.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yuujiro has barely factored into the baki plot post maximum tournament he just kind of struts around and smiles at people, menacingly. It would be like if the connector just stayed in the stands eating popcorn forever.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I think another reason Yujiro works so well is that nobody has the goal of stopping him. That used to be Bakis purpose but now they’ve come to an understanding, and everyone’s just kind of accepted that they’re never going to be as strong as him. They’ll still gently caress with him to prove a point now and again, which is funny.

Here, the crazy overpowered dude is the final boss, and the protagonists have to overcome him somehow. He’s already proven himself to be complete bullshit, so the only way this ends is through even dumber bullshit, so we all already know this series wont have a satisfying ending.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The other option is that nobody will fight him, they'll just fight the Worm heads and Wu associates to stop their organization. Shen barely has a personality beyond being bored and being the tallest pinnacle of woo woo martial arts yet, it's possible he'd decline to be the Worms fighter in a tournament and they'll have to fight Yan and Tiger Niko and whoever and the goodies have to chase Shen's incontestable ability into the sunset. Might be the easiest way to back out of this gracefully.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I can’t wait to see how they’ll spin that after Shen just single handedly demolished half the organization without throwing a punch

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Not having much knowledge about Baki aside from some odd out of context clips, I imagine a benefit to Yujiro is that we see him within the first dozen episodes of the anime. The Connector is like if IP Man 2 was going normally and then 50 minutes into the movie Dynasty Warriors Lu Bu just showed up.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

im cheering for my good friend jackie lee to win and go back to kickin' it with the bros

it seems like he doesn't really give a poo poo about the ultimate plot and is just reaping the benefits of incidentally being the strongest guy alive which is a real weird setup for your "final boss"

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Shen is pretty much doing style sneaks from Kamizawa: Way of the thief at this point

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yamashita Kazuo will defeat Shen

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Kogas uncle will fight him and win

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the uncle will propose to him and they'll get married. the end!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The two posts above are not mutually exclusive.

Serge Painsbourg
Jul 26, 2016

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the uncle will propose to him and they'll get married. the end!

But Shen's already married to Yan.

fizziest
Nov 5, 2023

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Once again Muteba proves himself to be absolutely the smartest, most savvy person in the entire Kengan-verse.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
But why does this conflict need to be resolved with another tournament? Why should the worms even take Nogi up on this when they could just have Shen murder Nogi and the other assembled figures and usurp the association through the sheer power of one man?

And I'm still really bothered by how the security is so horribly managed, not like it matters at the end of the day. The worm have magic perception walking and can just get in everyone's blind spot so long as no two people are facing each other I guess? We have a chick with a sniper rifle in a small room or a hallway. Not perched across the street covering the main entrances. The guy who is blind and best at omnidirectional detection is at the back loving door and not inside where he'd be able to help coordinate and sniff out abnormal movements. Guards aren't doing pat-downs and just letting people in with minimal cover on them. I can't tell what's more frustrating. Knowing that even if everyone was acting as smart as they should be we'd still have Mustach Gaoh and Shen still just casually strolling past most people or taking them out with a vulkan neck touch. Or that everyone in the room seems to have lost any of their past competence so we can have the guy that stans for the Connector tell everyone that the worms are so dysfunctional it would be in everyone's best interest to just take out the myriad cells around the world.

It's all so bad.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
guy whose only plan for any problem is martial arts tournaments: "we shall hold...... A TOURNAMENT!"

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

guy whose only plan for any problem is martial arts tournaments: "we shall hold...... A TOURNAMENT!"

HAS IT FAILED

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
At this point I really don’t understand how you’d write Shen believably losing. Maybe if there’s a timeskip of a few years before the match and Ohma/Kuroki/Koga go through intense training or something? Or Shen could be so strong because he has a cyborg brain and they find some way to disable his advantages. Alternatively the lame cop-out that some series do where the invincible antagonist has an incurable disease and they die from it halfway through fighting the main character

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Maybe they could try punching him

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
breathing is optional for him, so he can probably just say that he's now immune to punches and that'll be it. but oh no, what's this? ohma has unlocked triple veiny mode!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I especially don't like how Shen's basically like knowing how to punch is cool and all but I'm on another level especially since the previous series was won by Kuroki "Mastery of Basics Is Essential And I Still Have Far To Go" Gensai

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They're going to summon a variety of Einherjar to battle Shen on their behalf. Hopefully they can call up a humble Sun Wukong and not the one with a mischievous streak as big as the Universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

...And I'm still really bothered by how the security is so horribly managed, not like it matters at the end of the day. The worm have magic perception walking and can just get in everyone's blind spot so long as no two people are facing each other I guess? We have a chick with a sniper rifle in a small room or a hallway. Not perched across the street covering the main entrances. The guy who is blind and best at omnidirectional detection is at the back loving door and not inside where he'd be able to help coordinate and sniff out abnormal movements. Guards aren't doing pat-downs and just letting people in with minimal cover on them. I can't tell what's more frustrating........

That was actually pointed out in the story. Like two chapters ago Inaba and the Kure girl were complaining that the security of the place is an unorganized mess and that noone is doing actual security work, or is positioned to do so, because someone just hired the strongest guys they could find, dumped them in a building and called it a day.

Not sure if that's hinting on yet another Worm conspiracy/infiltration, or if it is just to make Shen's feats slightly more feasible (lmao), but at least that particular complaint has been addressed.