Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Honey I've hacked the house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Honey I’ve Shrunk Your Patience

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There is apparently a bolt that can be undone near the hinge to make them do that. Meaning they might be missing the bolt. Or not. Ordinarily you'd ask your installer, but I think the installer was you?

Apparently that makes them easier to clean, but it doesn't make it easier to escape when your house tries to kill you.

Nah some hinges just open like that. It's sort of the default, in fact. If you've got flush casements (i.e. the opening part of the window, when closed, is recessed back into the frame) then the sash HAS to move over into the opening a little, otherwise the edge of the sash will clash with the frame edge due to the opening geometry.

Anyway yeah you can get "fire escape" hinges which open at close to a 90 degree angle and closer to the frame jamb. Pretty sure I had this convo with 99 earlier in the thread.

Source: Have worked as a joiner and window system designer in the UK for about 20 years, for a window/door/conservatory manufacturer.

Vid here showing difference between a regular hinge and a fire-escape/egress hinge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG31aM9CINI

In truth there are a few different kinds of hinge combining regular opening, "easy-clean" and "egress" in different combinations, plus different manufacturers and models have different geometries which means your window can open a bit differently... but generally the above is true, in that if you want your window to NOT slide across the opening, you have to specify an "egress" hinge. Also worth noting that if you do get an egress hinge, they usually have lower weight limits, which can be a factor if you have particularly big and/or heavy sashes (triple-glazing can contribute to this).

Edit: I posted the wrong vid and now I can't find the other one and now I can't be bothered. Oh well it's still relevant.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 8, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Gutters.

I've bought the middle sized ones. I tried to do some calculations on it all but it seemed kind of pointless. The bigger issue really is that my reclaimed/scavenged roof edge forms quite a varied and jagged edge. I think the skinny gutters risk not averaging out over the whole roofline to make sure they catch all the runoff. The biggest ones are for like loving huge warehouses roofs or something. So I'll go middle. Stainless steel. Weirdly not that expensive. Still, given the house is like 90 per cent roof (10 per cent house and another 90 percent foundation) it adds up. Its over a thousand quid. Its almost a 100 metres of guttering though. at least the downpipes are short. Its going to be one unbroken gutter all the way around until the plantroom where there will be two ends. Then the plant room gets a little, lower down private gutter too that will feed into the closest downpipe with a Y.

The instructions say to put up a stringline between end brackets and infill from that? ok

The string sags like poo poo no matter how tight I try and pull it? Like its going to bend the brackets before the line goes anywhere close to tight enough to be level. So ignore the instructions.

Also I've had to buy fascia board brackets rather than rafter brackets as rafter brackets apparently needed installing like loving ages ago before all the tiles were on? Luckily I'm now ignoring the instructions so not an issue.

Although I don't have a facia board so have to put in little spacer lumps to get the gutter to sit in the right position relative to the tiles. I think I'd have had to that anyway. As I say, we're in unchartered territory now so nothing to worry about.

Also got the end piece on and bent the leadwork into the gutter, all seems pretty good.

As I say I'm going to have this continuous gutter all the way round except for the break at the back there where I've started so I'm going to roughly keep it all level. But I've got 4 strategically placed downpipes so I figure by being clever and exacting I can sneak in some cheeky falls to keep runoff water going in the desired directions without it being visibly obvious that its all up and down all the way round.

So I set it at a slight fall down this first run and spray the hose on the roof to simulate heavy rain as we never get any here so I need to simulate it. Water falls out the end. AMazing.

down to the end and corner on!

I've had to cut that length of gutter there. And well somehow...

I've sliced the top of my thumb to bits lol

then I find a compass and play with that for a bit

The carry on with gutter, steaming along, have this finished in no time. It is now raining.

hmmm. remember my windows that open funny?

well solved that, they won't open at all now.

faaack. who the hell designed this mess?

Yeah so gotta take all that back down and rethink my fall

Gutted!

In order to get the gutter on also needed to sort out those wave sensors I was talking about as there were little bits of under eave boarding i'd not finished to allow me to sort it.

which means hacking away at my lovely perfect new plastered walls.

Eh... not so bad, It'll sand back out.

Fortunately its not like the walls were exactly blemish free in the first place. Found a new bit, I call it "the bear attack finish".

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 8, 2023

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

well solved that, they won't open at all now.

Lol.

Also looks a bit odd with crooked wonky tiles and wooden siding and stainless gutters? Would've gone with cast iron to keep it looking consistent. Or at least cast-lookalike.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

you look a bit odd

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Towards L shape architecture: Luckily I'm now ignoring the instructions so not an issue

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Cybergutters

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

:elongate: Let's be fair, the gutter segments connected without huge gaps

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Surprised the gutters haven't got some kind of integrated sensors necessitating an extra 64 ethernet cables tbh.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

hmmm. interesting. some king of realtime water level measuring system and like canal system style locks around the windows to allow the gutter sections there to raise and lower according to optimal window opening regimes. Yeah I think that could work.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If you had a moat you wouldn't need to worry about gutters. Just an idea.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Housebrain, please initiate the gutter protocols thusly

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

What you need is a series of AI controlled umbrellas the house brain can deploy to channel the water over next door's fence.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Or just have it all run into the plant room, it's good for the plants.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
<Kramers in, panting wildly> Why don’t you build another roof over top of the first roof so your upper gutters will drain right into the lower gutters?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

just swap the window around so it opens inward. bingo bango

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Reinstall it 90 degrees off so when it opens you have a sheltered bird feeder

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
cover the window frames with sandpaper and open them repeatedly until they create clearance from the gutter

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Just jack the roof up like 5cm it’s e-z

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Just don't open the windows.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
are gutters really required when the foundation extends to the earth’s core

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Drill into your foundations, hollow them out and have the gutters drain into them for water storage. Useful in the future apocalypse.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Mexican Radio posted:

If the earth around the foundation erodes other people might see it, and humanity at large is not ready to gaze upon things such as this.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mexican Radio posted:

Gutters also protect the facades by keeping them dryer and generally just leading water away is good for general house health. Gets more important when you live where it gets cold and you get frost heaving, dry ground frost heaves less. Not a huge concern for 99 who live in mild britain, though who knows what the weather can be like if the gulf stream stops?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

All good suggestions, but what I've done is tuck them up a bit higher.

And as above, the walls get all the roof water blown back against them and the floor gets soggy and muddy, and the neighbours fence gets rotted away. Plus I spent ages laying my ham soakaway so I want it to get used.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
loving cackling when the windows won't open

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I’d laugh harder if the exact same thing didn’t happen to one of mine.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Put a mechanised hinge on the gutters and a sensor on the window so the house brain can open the gutters when you open the window.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Somewhere in the house there should be a lil alarm light that goes off everytime someone posts itt

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Somewhere in the house there should be a lil alarm light that goes off everytime someone posts itt

Make it the same noise as the CO alarm

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just combine into one "Brain Damage" alarm

bred
Oct 24, 2008

aniviron posted:

If the earth around the foundation erodes other people might see it, and humanity at large is not ready to gaze upon things such as this.

This is (shrub) a place of (shrub)or.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Who needs windows in passivehäus

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Stick a few cameras up and put screens on the walls.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Is this some kind of Passivhaus deal anyway? I watched a guy on Grand Designs last night whose build took as long as this one, but it was 800m², had enough solar to power the rest of their village, and was going for some kind of Ultra-Passiv cert that noone else in Britain has ever gotten. Pretty sure if you farted in that house at Christmas you'd still be smelling the Brussels sprouts in April

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is this some kind of Passivhaus deal anyway? I watched a guy on Grand Designs last night whose build took as long as this one, but it was 800m², had enough solar to power the rest of their village, and was going for some kind of Ultra-Passiv cert that noone else in Britain has ever gotten. Pretty sure if you farted in that house at Christmas you'd still be smelling the Brussels sprouts in April

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-lpYd2dZk

seems absolutely insane lmao, 800m2!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah well we're not all made of m².

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

More focused on just m, this house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starbucks