Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

Jump aren't the only publisher, and getting in even for a while is a big boost to your resume.

Yeah, but it still must suck to have the excitement of making it into The Biggest Shounen Magazine and then fail in the end. It's not like being a mangaka generally pays well, so that might be one of the few routes to a high income in the industry.

I imagine they at least prepare themselves for it mentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, but it still must suck to have the excitement of making it into The Biggest Shounen Magazine and then fail in the end. It's not like being a mangaka generally pays well, so that might be one of the few routes to a high income in the industry.

This is like a plot point in Bakuman

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

lol gently caress

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Caught up to Undead Unluck, I’ve said before that it rules but lowkey the best part is probably Warp just basically being an author self-insert complaining about how the other characters can’t shine with Andy there. And also drat, I just thought Andy was busy collecting poo poo, not blocking off the super calamities by doing the Terminator 2 thumbs up for a billion years

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I'm pretty sure I've read that being in Jump is actually pretty lucrative for a mangaka, which is why they're never short on potential new series even when it's notoriously cutthroat and most will inevitably fail at least once before landing a hit, and most will never make it. In fact, this apparently counteracts some of the depression from getting your series axed since you still have guaranteed paycheck for however many issues you've got left before uncertainty. Of course your pay also has to fund your assistants (which are pretty much mandatory for a weekly manga) so it's not some enormous windfall but it is apparently well above what you might get with other magazines.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ruflux posted:

I'm pretty sure I've read that being in Jump is actually pretty lucrative for a mangaka, which is why they're never short on potential new series even when it's notoriously cutthroat and most will inevitably fail at least once before landing a hit, and most will never make it. In fact, this apparently counteracts some of the depression from getting your series axed since you still have guaranteed paycheck for however many issues you've got left before uncertainty. Of course your pay also has to fund your assistants (which are pretty much mandatory for a weekly manga) so it's not some enormous windfall but it is apparently well above what you might get with other magazines.

Shueisha also provides a lot more in the way of promotion, which helps. Baseline money's not crazy good, but it's enough to live on without worrying, which is helpful.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How common is "private" manga-publishing? I feel like, in a world where people can make significant amounts of money from Patreons for web serials, it should be pretty viable to do something similar for manga. You only need like ~1000 Patreon subscribers at $5/month to have a pretty high income.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

How common is "private" manga-publishing? I feel like, in a world where people can make significant amounts of money from Patreons for web serials, it should be pretty viable to do something similar for manga. You only need like ~1000 Patreon subscribers at $5/month to have a pretty high income.

No idea, but using the Webtoon Space Boy as a baseline, Stephen McCranie has about 992 patreons and the prices are $2, $5, and $10. I pay the $2 as that gets me all I want. Assuming the absolute lowest possible take which would be everyone being in the $2 tier that gives $1984 and assuming the highest take by patreon which is 12% or so, it leaves $1771.42 before taxes and whatnot per month. I'd love to see something like this actually happen if it means stuff like Marry Grave, Tricks Dedicated to Witches, and everything by Onio actually get continued and end as the authors intended.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 10, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Well, twitter released manga are pretty common. Some of them get moved to more standard paid release (like Mieruko-chan), but others are paid for by fans directly through various methods. However, being able to get enough people invested to pay for a full time job is... difficult. (And probably more difficult for manga that already have a history of trouble in getting people to pay 5 bucks every couple months for the volume release.)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Shojo null: lol, this was even more twisted than I imagined it would be.

Demon exchange. Everyone pretty much called it. But the reason is quite the twist.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Magical Girl Tsubame: I'm all in. :stare:

Shojo Null: The author REALLY needs to figure some other concept for a chapter then "Marie is innocently doing a thing, she discovers that humans are incredibly cruel towards her kin and has a freakout."

Demon Lord Exchange!!: That's one hell of a twist. I thought that the king being absolutely pathetic scumbag was just a comedic bit. Guess not!

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 10, 2023

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Lt. Lizard posted:

Magical Girl Tsubame: I'm all in. :stare:

I hope this gets a physical release and that it keeps the selective colouring because it's such a great effect/impact

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Shojo Null: The author REALLY needs to figure some other concept for a chapter then "Marie is innocently doing a thing, she discovers that humans are incredibly cruel towards her kin and has a freakout."

I also can’t stop laughing that people snort robots to get high.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I really want to implore people to give Magical Girl Tsubame a shot, it's so loving good.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Demon Lord Exchange!!: That's one hell of a twist. I thought that the king being absolutely pathetic scumbag was just a comedic bit. Guess not!
If there's one fantasy cliche I tire of in manga. It's the kingdom that turns on their own heroes for what usually amounts to either incredibly petty reasons.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, well, that's monarchies for ya.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Trailer for Unwanted Undead Adventurer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAmfRZI7yIQ

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you know, kindergarten wars is kind of hosed up. it keeps hammering on how killers can only ever be killers and will never know happiness. but the people who continually send assassins after children don't seem to have that problem. they seem to be living perfectly happy lives, what with all their wealth and power. the victims are eternally damned, but their oppressors are not solely because they don't personally do the killing.

what the ever-living gently caress?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

really makes u think

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you know, kindergarten wars is kind of hosed up. it keeps hammering on how killers can only ever be killers and will never know happiness. but the people who continually send assassins after children don't seem to have that problem. they seem to be living perfectly happy lives, what with all their wealth and power. the victims are eternally damned, but their oppressors are not solely because they don't personally do the killing.

Seems like the moral is don’t kill people. Which seems like a good moral

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

:thunk:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think successful completely self-published works are nearly as common as stuff that starts out self published, gets successful, and then they set their own terms with a publisher

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Watched the Undead Unluck anime, immediately went to read the manga after, had a good laugh when I got to where the anime is currently and found out the Sponebob cameo was an anime addition.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

CodfishCartographer posted:

I really want to implore people to give Magical Girl Tsubame a shot, it's so loving good.

I’m giving this a read off of this recommendation and the story is promising so far but moreso than any other manga I’ve read the art suffers for being in black and white. its pseudo-superflat/kawaii noir aesthetic is screaming to be in colour

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Hope You're Happy, Lemon: This, too, is yuri.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Clarste posted:

" Stupid Holmes" was a solid gag. :v:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Clarste posted:

Massively increasing the possibility for dumb romcom misunderstandings and tangles in fiction is an oft unsung benefit from increased LGBTQ acceptance.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I sincerely hope that this misunderstanding never gets resolved and he spends the majority of the series trying to get them together. Which is why it's called "hope you're happy, lemon."

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

Massively increasing the possibility for dumb romcom misunderstandings and tangles in fiction is an oft unsung benefit from increased LGBTQ acceptance.

I appreciate that Sunao didn't even bat an eye at the thought at either woman being gay/bi, just immediately rolled with it

Clarste posted:

I sincerely hope that this misunderstanding never gets resolved and he spends the majority of the series trying to get them together. Which is why it's called "hope you're happy, lemon."

The Ultimate Wingman arc - he sets up dates for Lemon as Lemon, and then gets to see the results the day after

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Undead Unluck: The two wives who really really really really really love you.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

Undead Unluck: The two wives who really really really really really love you.

Uma Monogamy defeated!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I binged through UU over the last few days just in time to catch this chapter. Didn't they make a point of saying Unburn could beat combustion but not heat during Ragnarok? Feels like this plan to rescue Andy has a flaw.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just caught up with Undead Unluck in the past few days too. I just need to say UU probably has the best training arc.

Also God being the Sun and Moon is real loving cool

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nighthand posted:

I binged through UU over the last few days just in time to catch this chapter. Didn't they make a point of saying Unburn could beat combustion but not heat during Ragnarok? Feels like this plan to rescue Andy has a flaw.

I would imagine that it would need to be a combo with one of the NG+ exclusive Negators like Unchange.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Undead Unluck: Between this, Sound Hashira from Demon Slayer and, of course, 100 Girlfriends there is a surprising amount of shonen series saying "gently caress monogamy" recently. :v:

Mamayuyu: The old man being just causally the strongest character in the series is kinda funny. Otherwise we get some minor romcom scenes and a whole lot of setup. Also full-contact Idol battles are mentioned.

Kagurabachi: I like this battle a bit more now. Good way to increase the stakes and to introduce some personal enmity between our protagonist and the villain.

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!: I guess the author noticed that people like Watarai....

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, I guess with the addition of "Part 2" this means Witch Watch isn't ending any time soon.

That was a good way to end the fight in MMA.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Oh, Witch Watch can easily go for another hundred plus chapters with this new premise.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nico is the witch of thousands so they just need to find thousands of butterflies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

Mamayuyu: The old man being just causally the strongest character in the series is kinda funny. Otherwise we get some minor romcom scenes and a whole lot of setup. Also full-contact Idol battles are mentioned.

He pops up looking a little rough, and then we go back to the bad guy who's now missing an arm, and then you're suddenly wondering whose blood the old man was covered in

Ice Head Gil: went out the same it came in: with a wet fart

Blue Box: I do appreciate the series going "let's just pull this bandaid off." The mangaka really does seem to have a limit to how long they'll indulge some romcom tropes

Kill Blue: I guess physical transformations aren't out of place considering the MC's situation, but there's definitely been a trend of introducing power sets into the series with the last couple of arcs

Two On Ice: the more we see of the male MC, the more it seems like the mangaka had no idea what to do with him past the introduction. For someone as obsessed with the female MCfigure skating as he is, he's no better than some novice for a lead

The Black Stones posted:

Oh, Witch Watch can easily go for another hundred plus chapters with this new premise.

Real credit to the mangaka, they went from "oh, this might be the end" to "brand new arc" in the span of a few chapters, and I ain't even mad.

Also, I do appreciate Morihito's frustration at the whole situation