Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Can't believe they didn't end that by painting the entire surface, faceplate and all, with Landlord Special white paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Die go framing

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Still a better mudding job than I can do

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
The little tear at the end does it for me.

Presumably from the pipe that they nailed the "repair" piece to.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I always wondered who lived in my apartment before me

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Technically the only thing "wrong" with this, code-wise, is just that the receptacle isn't in a box?

(Well, that AND mudding over the outlet and hitting the pipe with a screw.)

Edit: Oh, they might also be using backstabs on the outlet.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Where's the joke

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

peanut posted:

Where's the joke

That reality is stranger than fiction.

I am sure out there somewhere (probably many places) worse things have been done.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Thanks, I hate it.
The 500 brads and screws sell it, but the water drip at the end :discourse:

wesleywillis posted:

The little tear at the end does it for me.

Presumably from the pipe that they nailed the "repair" piece to.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Darchangel posted:

Thanks, I hate it.
The 500 brads and screws sell it, but the water drip at the end :discourse:

I also cry raw sewage, but only when I see someone so utterly unskilled attempt to install an outlet.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Harry_Potato posted:

I also cry raw sewage, but only when I see someone so utterly unskilled attempt to install an outlet.

It's like howtobasic but construction

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Amazing

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
pretty sure that outlet install is just rage bait

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This fits in a dozen threads, but I’m posting it here.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7299273219570322734

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Which section of the NEC covers branch circuits in residential tunnels?

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

`Nemesis posted:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

This pic keeps on giving. The missing brick distracts from the fact that the gutter has no stop end. Also, at the end of the first corner piece after the running outlet, they have pushed a male pipe section inside of the corner where they should have pushed the corner into a female section. It's wrong even if you accept that they use a 90 when you really want to slope the bends on a downpipe (prevents mosquito nurseries). Also there's no fascia. Also what the gently caress is with the brick.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

`Nemesis posted:

Premature driveway ejaculation.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Platystemon posted:

This fits in a dozen threads, but I’m posting it here.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7299273219570322734

I have so many questions

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

FISHMANPET posted:

Which section of the NEC covers branch circuits in residential tunnels?

This season of This Old House includes a service tunnel under their house to connect the old mechanical room to the new one. The budget has to be over $1M

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Danhenge posted:

I have so many questions

From what I could find, the lady is quarrying rock from under her house so she can build a castle

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

BMan posted:

From what I could find, the lady is quarrying rock from under her house so she can build a castle

Oh yeah I love her videos. I haven't seen anything on her channel about it, are there any legal issues with what she's doing?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Schmeichy posted:

Oh yeah I love her videos. I haven't seen anything on her channel about it, are there any legal issues with what she's doing?

The rock she is supposedly using for the castle wall is breakable with minimal effort (she shows this in the first vid that mentions the castle) and almost certainly incapable of supporting compressive loads without help.

It's either advanced ragebait and she'll build the wall out of a similar looking commercial stone (or not at all) or she's building the final boss of extremely dangerous attractive nuisances.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

The rock she is supposedly using for the castle wall is breakable with minimal effort (she shows this in the first vid that mentions the castle) and almost certainly incapable of supporting compressive loads without help.

It's either advanced ragebait and she'll build the wall out of a similar looking commercial stone (or not at all) or she's building the final boss of extremely dangerous attractive nuisances.

She hasn't started the castle yet, but I was wondering if there were any rules about digging tunnels under your home

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Schmeichy posted:

She hasn't started the castle yet, but I was wondering if there were any rules about digging tunnels under your home

Step 1: Are you somewhere where the mineral rights are owned by the state/someone else starting like 6" below ground?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Azza Bamboo posted:

This pic keeps on giving. The missing brick distracts from the fact that the gutter has no stop end. Also, at the end of the first corner piece after the running outlet, they have pushed a male pipe section inside of the corner where they should have pushed the corner into a female section. It's wrong even if you accept that they use a 90 when you really want to slope the bends on a downpipe (prevents mosquito nurseries). Also there's no fascia. Also what the gently caress is with the brick.

Also the random bit of nail plate sticking out of the roof, the huge chunk taken out around the pipe in the right and whatever that line is to the side of it (I thought it was an earth strap but doesn't look like it).

The drain on the left looks weird as well.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Schmeichy posted:

Mining tends to be pretty tightly regulated due to a history of buildings disappearing into sinkholes and deaths underground. I haven't watched her videos but I strongly doubt she's actually compliant with all of the rules.

The odds of her actually getting into trouble for that are extremely remote though.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Azza Bamboo posted:

It looks like the bricks were removed and the space was filled with copious amounts of silicon. Anything above it is basically guaranteed to crack in a few years

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

StormDrain posted:

That's not better! I hated that story!

lol

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Nitrox posted:

It looks like the bricks were removed and the space was filled with copious amounts of silicon. Anything above it is basically guaranteed to crack in a few years

I feel like there is a mom joke here...

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Shifty Pony posted:

Mining tends to be pretty tightly regulated due to a history of buildings disappearing into sinkholes and deaths underground. I haven't watched her videos but I strongly doubt she's actually compliant with all of the rules.

The odds of her actually getting into trouble for that are extremely remote though.

I think her day job is a building inspector so she isn't ignorant of the requirements

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
She’s an IT director but she does play a home inspector on TV.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7279564184273128747

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Schmeichy posted:

I think her day job is a building inspector so she isn't ignorant of the requirements

Do you remember who else became a building inspector, specifically so he could pass off his own shoddy work?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Do you remember who else became a building inspector, specifically so he could pass off his own shoddy work?

:grovertoot:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I was talking to a plumber about tiling, as you do, and he said that "the worst ideas are always single men, like the guy that wanted all white tiles and black grout and we ended up having to rip the whole lot out and redo it because it looked so bad" and well well well do I have a story about single men designing bathrooms for you my friend!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Became a licensed engineer so he could stamp his own drawings for twenty outlets in the kitchen, but the local AHJ/inspector still had to sign off.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
White tiles with black grout is like the most timeless combination, how do you fail at that?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Nitrox posted:

White tiles with black grout is like the most timeless combination, how do you fail at that?

He said they were square (and I think 60x60) and the entire floor and up the walls so it was like living in graph paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Did that guy happen to work for WeWork?

haveblue posted:

I used to work in a wework and I swear the bathroom was intentionally designed to torment neurodivergents